The Pretty Good AE Debate

MoonSheep

Playing a fun-time game isn't all about the rewards, though...

Speaking for myself here, no matter WHAT the Powers That Be did to Carnie and Archnos scanner missions, I wouldn't jump in there and run them rather than spending that potential hour bashing angry cosplayers in space, or escaped demonlings in a half-sunken ruined city. I absolutely wouldn't do it with a team of seven other nutballs. That's just not my "thing". It's more stressful than fun, even if it buries me in imaginary currency.  I'd take the lesser reward every time in exchange for an activity I enjoyed. 

Thinking about it, that's part of why I don't do TF/SFs, either... Sure. A 20 minute TinPex is rewarding. But not enough to overcome the Not Fun of teaming to get it.  

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Even if folks are just in AE,

maybe the missions that get run the most slowly have diminishing returns while missions which are run less start to get more rewards.. nah, that would force people to play more than one or two AEs, regardless we're a long way from there (even though devs choice provides more rewards).

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just now, Troo said:

Even if folks are just in AE,

maybe the missions that get run the most slowly have diminishing returns while missions which are run less start to get more rewards.. nah, that would force people to play more than one or two AEs, regardless we're a long way from there (even though devs choice provides more rewards).

People would set up a revolving string of farm missions, publishing and then removing them to reset the "times played" once a week or so. Whatever it took to get around the timers. 

Just now, Coyotedancer said:

People would set up a revolving string of farm missions, publishing and then removing them to reset the "times played" once a week or so. Whatever it took to get around the timers. 

agreed, the same issue exists with diminishing returns for much of the content.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

23 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Playing a fun-time game isn't all about the rewards, though...

Speaking for myself here, no matter WHAT the Powers That Be did to Carnie and Archnos scanner missions, I wouldn't jump in there and run them rather than spending that potential hour bashing angry cosplayers in space, or escaped demonlings in a half-sunken ruined city. I absolutely wouldn't do it with a team of seven other nutballs. That's just not my "thing". It's more stressful than fun, even if it buries me in imaginary currency.  I'd take the lesser reward every time. 

Thinking about it, that's part of why I don't do TF/SFs, either... Sure. A 20 minute TinPex is rewarding. But not enough to overcome the Not Fun of teaming to get it.  

And that’s awesome man! You do you! 

EDIT: To be fair, if it isn’t about the rewards, then why are people so massively against any change to the rewards of AE?

Edited by Marbing
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

8 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Oh I already know your answer. 🙂  Apologies, my post was more a general question/statement and not directed at you personally.  Sorry if that was confusing.  Seems to me that taking extreme edge cases into consideration for balancing rewards is only ever going in one direction. 

there are people that farm and get little or nothing but it seem no one is interested in those numbers 😆we only seem to look at outliers in one direction, true balance requires that we look in both directions, or ignore outliers all together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, America's Angel said:

I already did this when I said:

It's based on Speed runners earning 40 merits in a 10 minute TF.

It's actually going to be slightly lower than that due to the time it takes to use 120 converters in-game. (I.e. you'd need to add the time it takes a top end marketeer to use up 120 converters, and add that to the TF completion time.)

they get some inf from kills/mission bonuses. that doesnt take those into account.

1 minute ago, Marbing said:

And that’s awesome man! You do you!

Only as long as I'm allowed to... Which unfortunately, if some of the people posting in this thread ever get their way, isn't necessarily a sure thing. I mean, someone upthread even suggested that they'd love to see timers put on all of the Old School, non-AE maps used for farming runs.

The sentiment that would ruin my fun obviously isn't *just* about AE, even if it's the most common target, o_O

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

The Paragon Grange Association: "Farming in AE is fun!"

The Anti-Farming League: "Farming in AE sucks and is ruining our game!"

Both Sides: "Buzz off, buster! You're not the boss of me!"

.... So, pretty much like every other thread about AE ever. 😆

You have a way with words!!

1 minute ago, ivanhedgehog said:

You have a way with words!!

Nah. I'm just a dirty farmer. 

Or entitled.

Or a troll.

Or something...

I think I've lost count of all the ways I'm the root of all evil in this thread. 😆

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Which unfortunately, if some of the people posting in this thread ever get their way, isn't necessarily a sure thing.

Bear in mind, besides PVP, there's no basis for any one of us having influence - one could argue that we only have the influence to get rid of changes that aren't quite working/need a different approach. The devs, so far, aren't as radical as forum posters wish them to be. I have my doubts of truly game changing changes like obliterating the AE will go in, but I could be proven wrong.

i just find certain farming forum posters to be funny (not you, coyote. you're cool)

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Thumbs Down 3

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

11 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Or entitled.

Or a troll.

Or something...

That’s funny, I’ve been called all the same things. As have most everyone on these forums! 😂 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)

1 minute ago, Marbing said:

That’s funny, I’ve been called all the same things. As have most everyone on these forums! 😂 

We are all brothers. sisters and others in Evil!

*mighty Team Evil fist-bump* 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Number Six said:

That caught my attention because the internal command that people were using NEVER should have been in a loading tip since it only existed to make the menu work, so I wanted to make sure it got removed if that was the case. The only reference to passcodes I can find in the loading tips is this one:

Base Editing Tip: You can use /sg_passcode to make your base accessible to others.

Which is just talking about the command to set a passcode. The intent for that system was always that the passcodes be used from the menu at the base portal.

Sorry for derailing the thread and going off-topic but...could be possible to have a list of all the loading tips? There may be some hidden pearls hidden there that people not know about!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Erhnam said:

Sorry for derailing the thread and going off-topic but...could be possible to have a list of all the loading tips? There may be some hidden pearls hidden there that people not know about!

Here's the most up-to-date list (assuming the devs haven't altered them since Page 3): https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Loading_Screen_Tips

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

Nah. I'm just a dirty farmer. 

Or entitled.

Or a troll.

Or something...

I think I've lost count of all the ways I'm the root of all evil in this thread. 😆

I remember my first thumbs down.

Pump those rookie numbers up.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadeknight said:

I'm getting downvoted for just informational (as in answering "wait, what are the changes?" questions) posts.

We live in a society.

i wouldn’t worry about it mate, it’s usually just the same 4-5 forum trolls who don’t actually have anything to contribute, they’re known to most people here

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 3