Base Editor Changes: Things We'd All Like to See

Dacy

Something I just thought of: instead of specific objects having a specific function, allow the function to be imprinted onto any object.

In plainer parlance: let me turn a barrel into a storage bin. A door into a tailor. A counter into a workbench.

They would retain their apperances, but would preclude the need to hide NPCs behind geometry, doing weird gymnastics with the insanely large functional items to "camoflauge" them, and would save on object counts.

My 2 inf, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Dacy FTW!!!  

As far as HomeComing goes, I hope the HC Devs and GMs realize just how much "base building" is one of HomeComing's premiere claims-to-fame, a specialty that I'm not sure ANY other servers out there have going for them (at least not in the sheer magnitude of number of bases and quality of artwork sculpting them).  And yes, the bases on HomeComing are totally a form of digital artwork!  Many of them are absolutely jaw-droppingly creative.  Truly, many of you builders out there are truly talented, I mean it!

For some of the ideas here on this thread,

Having NPC's that you can chose animations as a variable you can chose, or even yet customizable costumes for those NPCs?
That would be amazing!

Fixing base shift from the round-off errors when changing data types? Fixing up that database file structuring?
That would be amazing!

Shareable templates, such as a series of objects that are "copied" together, and "pasted" elsewhere, even saved as a file to be shared with other base builders?
That would be amazing!

For me, my personal dream for my specific "SG" base would be to have an outdoor/surface part of the Xzianthia base that is a warzone. One where visitors could actually see undead and demons attempting to (foolishly) continuously assault against the Xzianthia base while fully functional automated turrets and magical defenses (which are already objects in the base editor for use) shred them as they approach -- much like the Vanguard base in RWZ does, but all customized and such.  Kind of something to highlight just how much the world of Xzianthia is actually acting as a dam to hold back forces of destruction and evil from spreading, really set the atmosphere.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, EmperorSteele said:

Something I just thought of: instead of specific objects having a specific function, allow the function to be imprinted onto any object.

In plainer parlance: let me turn a barrel into a storage bin. A door into a tailor. A counter into a workbench.

They would retain their apperances, but would preclude the need to hide NPCs behind geometry, doing weird gymnastics with the insanely large functional items to "camoflauge" them, and would save on object counts.

My 2 inf, anyway.

Love this idea

• Thumbs Up 1

If I could make a wish list for a few things ( possible or not)

- Graffiti! This would be fore making a place look more "lived in" and "less opulent". I see the graffiti in King's Row and would like the gang tags for flavor.

- 360 rotation on objects ( even in 90 degree increments this would be useful).

- Listing letters in their own tab so they're easier to find.

I keep lists short.

• Community Rep
3 hours ago, Dragoness10 said:

- 360 rotation on objects ( even in 90 degree increments this would be useful).

- Listing letters in their own tab so they're easier to find.

I do not understand this list? Right click will rotate an object 90 degrees. Basic commands using shift, alt, and control separately or in combination will rotate items any direction you wish on the x-y-z axes, any number of degrees you wish.

Alphabet letters HAVE their own tab. SG emblems aren't actually a base item, tho I wish it would be possible to place JUST the sg emblem and not the attached object, to give us an easier way to use letters other than the giant alphabet letters.

-Dacy

• Like 1

Yet another boop comment just to make sure it gets seen!

I haven't been building for that long although I can 100% say that it's addicting and if I start to build, hours can pass without me realizing it.

It's a great way to just escape for a while, so any and all improvements and additions are welcome in my eyes.

There's a few things I hope will be improved, the issue with base shift for example, but otherwise it's a great tool to create personalized RP spots and whatnot.

I am basically just rambling so that my reply to this thread isn't one sentence and that's it.

TL;DR - Rambling for no other reason than to up this thread! Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

Someone's gonna kill me for suggesting this....

Make everything sizeable.

Just like the costume editor allows for scales, can we have that ability in base editing? 

~ 

If any devs/mods are eyeballing this thread? Can we PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP have all the snow/Christmas items, textures, etc. added to base editing?? We have entire zones (especially the one accessible by Null the Gull), events, and missions dedicated to wintery goodness. I just wanna make my own winter wonderland in my main base. I've been nice! Not even a bit naughty. 😉 

~

Props to Dacy. Your videos/threads have helped me so much. Thank you. *Hugs.*

• Community Rep
1 hour ago, RikOz said:

The main thing I'd like to see is the ability to lock an item in place. I get frustrated when I try to move an object, and instead end up sliding my floor tiles around.

(Also, where is this poll? I see no poll.)

Thanks, Rudra. Also, this: (look for links in my post that immediately follows the poll for a link to the next one)

These two polls are actually on different items. The one Rudra posted is for items, this one is for programming changes.

-Dacy

• Community Rep
4 hours ago, Shandirra said:

Make everything sizeable.

Just like the costume editor allows for scales, can we have that ability in base editing? 

~

If any devs/mods are eyeballing this thread? Can we PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP have all the snow/Christmas items, textures, etc. added to base editing?? We have entire zones (especially the one accessible by Null the Gull), events, and missions dedicated to wintery goodness. I just wanna make my own winter wonderland in my main base. I've been nice! Not even a bit naughty. 😉 

Props to Dacy. Your videos/threads have helped me so much. Thank you. *Hugs.*

Scaling has been mentioned...I was told that it wasn't possible with the current code, but, as you, I, and others have pointed out, the CC can do it, so it would seem like the editor could do it as well. Only, the editor is coded separately and differently than the rest of the game, so that's not as easy as it would seem. The editor, in fact, was coded so poorly that the original dev team threw up their hands and wouldn't touch it. It's notoriously touchy, and very difficult to change one thing without crashing the whole program entirely, as I understand things. So, I guess we can hope, but that's why it's not on the list.

I sure HOPE the devs are eyeballing this thread! But as to the request for snowy items: Again, this has been brought up again. And again. And again. Along with sand, which people also want badly. They see it in the game, along with other doors, floors, walls, windows, and such, and say...why can't we have...? And I don't honestly know why we got 600+ items of largely warehouse and waste items (which we have used and appreciate!), and yet no new doors, floors, or other more generally used pieces, but as to the sand and snow and such, that's covered in the "texture mapping" option, so please, vote for that.

And thank you for the props, my overarching goal was to help people above anything else, so I'm always happy to hear that the videos help!!

-Dacy

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

Thanks, Rudra. Also, this: (look for links in my post that immediately follows the poll for a link to the next one)

These two polls are actually on different items. The one Rudra posted is for items, this one is for programming changes.

-Dacy

Gotcha - I didn't realize they were in a separate thread :)

• Like 1

I'd love to see a lot more things be tintable.  Especially butterflies!  Who ever heard of butterflies that were exclusively and only black?!?  

It would also be nice if we could get actual real placeable lava tiles.   And of course, I second a better way to make letters that aren't huge sign sized.  

I'd also greatly appreciate more actual 3D pieces, without missing sides - like the stairs, and walls.  The bottom of a wall should actually have a real bottom.  And more 'floor' items that actually allow Attachment: Floor.   The only pre-made door frame is also too short to attach an actual door without burying it slightly - which is just silly.  

I also second the notion for snow!   And add that we could use sand texture!  Everyone wants beaches and sandy bottom lakes!   Perhaps if the mud pile was tintable, it could become sand.  And make the snow effect 3 (if I'm remembering the number right) not affect the entire base!  I like the way that effect looks, but no one wants buildings that are snowing inside.

And of course, more and bigger glass tiles that *don't* block effects!  What's the point of glass that you can't see through?

Triangle blocks would be absolutely awesome for floors and ceiling textures! 

And as a wish item, make it so that all rooms can have all of their adjoining areas turned into corridors, so you don't have unbuildable forced mystery holes.   That is a weird and very annoying thing that some corners just seem impossible to turn into actual room tiles of any kind even though they are adjacent.  You can't buy a single square room, and it won't turn into a corridor.  If building Outside, those holes are awful.  Even building Inside that can get in one's way. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh! Another thought. It would be really awesome to get a daytime sky choice that doesn't have a night cycle! I THINK Kallisti does not have a night cycle. (im not 100% sure on that, i just never seen it night there)

But it would be great to have that option (whether its to use as a better light while working on the base or you feel your base just simply looks best without a night cycle.)

The praetorian sky is sooo beautiful with one of the bases im working on, but i wish this particular based didnt have the night cycle (for example)

Just a thought. Probably not a common suggestion in any means.. but its been in the back of my head for a bit now. haha

Have a great weekend! 🙂

• Like 2

1.  I have a Roman themed base and could use: 

• more of the Roman building blocks - small to large brick block for building platforms and ledges.  Currently, I am placing stairs, and flipping another set of stairs to put on top of it matching up the steps to create a solid block - this is painful, time consuming, and difficult to create a city.  
  • I'd also like the rest of the Roman archways - the bridge / platform pieces.  We get "Roman Archway" large and small, but they really just columns... we have no pieces to create the platform to bridge across.

2.  What is HUGELY needed are pieces that have a bottom or back!  MANY times I find a piece I want to use in an elevated position, but can't because it has no bottom and you can see right through it!  This is SO frustrating and disappointing.  

3.   Way to move pieces with the keyboard only (no mouse) - from nudging a few pixels to moving several feet.  I have a base of islands in the shadow shard and using large rocks to cover the underside and sides of the plot to hid sightlines.  However, it is now extremely hard to impossible to select an object on the plot, unless I go to the "Room Items" option and find the piece in the placed list.  If I do, and select it, Whenever I try to click on the piece to move it, rotate it, or whatnot, I end up selecting the large rock instead because the "box" takes priority, apparently.  Being able to nudge or move a piece SOLELY with the keyboard would help here. 

4.  This brings up another problem I have, because there are so many rocks placed on the ploy to cover sightlines, I cannot even select the plot floor when inside to raise/lower the floor or ceiling. 

• Someone above suggested being able to "lock" pieces into place - perhaps this is what would make my issue here and in point #3 go away - Lock a piece in place and the bluebox goes away and you cannot select the piece again, until you unlock it.  ???  If that is possible - that could be a game-changer... or a base-building changer!  😄

On 8/29/2022 at 9:59 PM, Dacy said:

Only, the editor is coded separately and differently than the rest of the game, so that's not as easy as it would seem. The editor, in fact, was coded so poorly that the original dev team threw up their hands and wouldn't touch it. It's notoriously touchy, and very difficult to change one thing without crashing the whole program entirely, as I understand things. So, I guess we can hope, but that's why it's not on the list.

-Dacy

That actually explains a lot. Tyvm.

I did vote. Both polls. 😉

22 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

2.  What is HUGELY needed are pieces that have a bottom or back!  MANY times I find a piece I want to use in an elevated position, but can't because it has no bottom and you can see right through it!  This is SO frustrating and disappointing.  

There ~is~ a work around, if you're willing to put in a little extra effort... @Rudra showed me how to 'flip' an item so it appears to have a bottom; CRTL+ALT = Flip. It's time consuming but it works. The picture is a view under a wood floor. It's not a perfect solution but it's doable. That is a second floor in my library that she did for me. She also layered wood cabinets in between to give it mass. She is my guru. :)) 

Wood Floor.PNG

Second floor side view..PNG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shandirra said:

There ~is~ a work around, if you're willing to put in a little extra effort... @Rudra showed me how to 'flip' an item so it appears to have a bottom; CRTL+ALT = Flip. It's time consuming but it works. The picture is a view under a wood floor. It's not a perfect solution but it's doable. That is a second floor in my library that she did for me. She also layered wood cabinets in between to give it mass. She is my guru. :)) 

Hi, thanks.  Yes, I know flipping a 2nd of SOME items - like the flat flooring piece you described will work.... and I have done that in the few places that I can make it work.  However, there are so many 3D objects that you cannot add a bottom to by flipping another piece or a piece of flooring because size doesn't match, other types of incongruity, or the design just doesn't fit.  I appreciate the thought, though!  (and nice looking library!)

• Like 1

Base editing is so tough for someone like me. I wanted to speak from the point of view of a very intimidated and unknowledgeable base builder. I would love to be able to build a really pretty base, but after seeing an option one time to lower or raise sections of the floor and ceiling, then taking over 30 minutes just to figure out how to get that to pop back up, I gave up on any hope of making a great looking base. I doubt it would ever become easy for someone like me, but it doesn't really appear to be intuitive for the moderately abled player.  

I would really love to see something like skins available to use for rooms. It would be a starting point that could then be customized by the owner. For instance, I looked all around and could not find any ice themed pieces, walls, floors, etc. in the editor. I wanted to make a snowy, icy room, like you would find in the Frostfire mission. It would be nice if there were a preset option "Ice Room" that could be clicked and then I could layer my own personal taste items over it. Is that probably asking too much? I really don't know but thought I would throw it out there.

• Community Rep
19 hours ago, Flambouyant said:

Base editing is so tough for someone like me. I wanted to speak from the point of view of a very intimidated and unknowledgeable base builder. I would love to be able to build a really pretty base, but after seeing an option one time to lower or raise sections of the floor and ceiling, then taking over 30 minutes just to figure out how to get that to pop back up, I gave up on any hope of making a great looking base.

I'm so sorry this was your experience, and I know it is the experience of many.  I believe you CAN make a really awesome base, but, yes, it'd take a bit of time to learn how, but maybe not as much as you think. I'd be happy to give you a tutoring session, and I have a large list of videos that teach many things from the very beginning to more advanced techniques. https://www.youtube.com/c/DacysBaseBuilding

Thank you for putting in your perspective!! I hope the devs are listening. Unfortunately, making the base editor more intuitive is a HUGE project which would involve completely reprogramming it, and while I'm sure that sounds like a great idea, I don't know of a single dev on either the Live team or the current, volunteer team, that wants to tackle a project of that magnitude. However, I do think there may be some things they could do to make it a little more user friendly.

-Dacy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

This may sound like a weird request, but I would like to see some current objects, such as the police call box, being available as portals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

5 hours ago, Zepp said:

This may sound like a weird request, but I would like to see some current objects, such as the police call box, being available as portals.

You can stick a portal in practically anything. I know most of the portals are too big to hide in objects, but you can put them on the ground under them or stand them sideways inside of them. Play around with it.  You can make the portable accessible but mostly hidden in or under an object.

The teleport beacons can be hidden inside objects even easier as they are smaller.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I would like a flat slab about the size of a bathroom stall door that didn’t reflect or refract light. So that I could use it to hide things such as secret passages. tintable would be best , but I’d just make it black. To create a visual illusion or a wall or passageway that isn't really there I’d need pieces that when placed in front or behind each other would blend into each other seamlessly to appear as one. 

Alternately, pieces such as walls or bookcases, etc, can appear solid but can be walked through.