"Classic CoH"

Watching the success, and playing "Classic WoW, Classic BC, and Classic Lich" I was curious if there has ever been talk of a Classic server for CoH.  One where you earn everything you get, rather than just having it.  I remember getting my cape for the 1st time and I was proud of it.  Not to mention actually earning enough to buy SO's and even going to the CH and buying wings and such.  This was even for the SG base, which meant the more your players played, the more the base got to spend on itself.  

Im guessing this would prolly be to much work or not worth it since their may not be enough players who would want it, but I know I do, so I thought id check to see if there was ever any talk about it.

• Thumbs Down 7

2 minutes ago, Crosscowboy70 said:

Watching the success, and playing "Classic WoW, Classic BC, and Classic Lich" I was curious if there has ever been talk of a Classic server for CoH.  One where you earn everything you get, rather than just having it.  I remember getting my cape for the 1st time and I was proud of it.  Not to mention actually earning enough to buy SO's and even going to the CH and buying wings and such.  This was even for the SG base, which meant the more your players played, the more the base got to spend on itself.  

Im guessing this would prolly be to much work or not worth it since their may not be enough players who would want it, but I know I do, so I thought id check to see if there was ever any talk about it.

There are other servers that cater to that type of playstyle. Unfortunately, this server is too far down the rabbit hole for that.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

12 minutes ago, Crosscowboy70 said:

Homecoming will never do that for good reason.  It would be way too much manpower to handle divergent codebases for multiple servers for an all volunteer staff.  Your best bet is to play on the Rebirth server.  It is closest to what City of Heroes was like prior to sunset.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, Astralock said:

Homecoming will never do that for good reason.  It would be way too much manpower to handle divergent codebases for multiple servers for an all volunteer staff.  Your best bet is to play on the Rebirth server.  It is closest to what City of Heroes was like prior to sunset.

Thanks I couldn't remember the name.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Yeah. head over to rebirth. You'll be lucky if you see one other person, though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, Crosscowboy70 said:

One where you earn everything you get, rather than just having it. 

There is nothing stopping you from imposing your own limits on what you can access and when - want to wear a cape only after completing the associated mission?  You can do that.  What to avoid P2W powers or the invention system altogether?  You can do exactly that.  The only limiting factor is you!

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

Perhaps he prefers solo play, population isn't everything to some people. 

Given he mentions enjoying an SG with members earning stuff back in the bad old prestige days, I'd say more than likely he'd want *some* interaction. Even if just someone else to talk to in chat.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

You can't do much in the way of base building with the amount of Prestige you'll earn with a solo SG. You'll scrape to be able to afford a few teleporters and a storage table. And sometimes even to make the "rent".

Ask me how I know that. 😝

(Yeah. I lived it back in the Liberty days. I wouldn't trade our Homecoming base-building system for that kind of nonsense again. Ever. It was anything BUT fun as a would-be builder.)

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 5

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• 2 weeks later
On 8/31/2022 at 3:08 AM, Coyotedancer said:

You can't do much in the way of base building with the amount of Prestige you'll earn with a solo SG. You'll scrape to be able to afford a few teleporters and a storage table. And sometimes even to make the "rent".

Ask me how I know that. 😝

(Yeah. I lived it back in the Liberty days. I wouldn't trade our Homecoming base-building system for that kind of nonsense again. Ever. It was anything BUT fun as a would-be builder.)

I don't remember the details, but I do remember that with our supergroup we had to grind for things like teleporters. And we started quite late before sunset.

• Thumbs Up 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

30 minutes ago, Krimson said:

This isn't a joke. Rebirth's active population is LOW. Like often less than a half the population of Indomitable. At this precise moment:

Excelsior - 506

Indomitable -  35

Rebirth - 27

I have never seen higher than the mid 30s on Rebirth. 

You aren't looking on the weekends then.  It isn't high, but I've seen it get up to about 80.

"Double Prestige?"

Ugh. Just the thought of having to deal with Prestige is reason enough for me to stay away from there.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Say that again when you cannot pick up anything in the market.

Considering I source all my stuff through drops and merit purchases, I'm not too worried. I have more interaction on this forum with people than I do in game. 

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

"Double Prestige?"

Ugh. Just the thought of having to deal with Prestige is reason enough for me to stay away from there.

I think Thunderspy has the perfect solution.  Supergroup bases require prestige, but everyone gets to make "apartments" which are just solo only SG bases with everything that we have now.  That way creative people can build their own apartment how they see fit, and supergroup bases still require prestige for people who like to grind and for people who like to earn things together as a supergroup.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Hate grinding. (Wanting to play through all the content is not the same as grinding.) Hated the Inf' to Prestige conversion rate back on Live. Hated having to beg and plead to get players to join long enough to build up enough Prestige to afford anything in the base. Don't miss being stuck with a tiny base with nothing in it and over the course of a few years finally being able to start actually making the base the way I want. Happy to not deal with that headache.

Thank you Homecoming for letting players just make their bases without having to run around and grab every single explore in a zone to be able to buy a teleport beacon. Thank you Homecoming for letting players just make their bases how they want which already takes a LOT of time without having to wait a few weeks to buy a single storage rack. (Edit: Thank you Homecoming for getting rid of base rent.)

Bases are not just a pretty place for your character. I make my bases for my use and my friends' use. (Edit: Despite them being single-player use bases.) I have multiple SGs set up for different bases I wanted to make and my friends can move between the SGs or just make use of those other bases since they are all in a coalition whenever they want. (And if they want their own SG and base? We just join a coalition and I lend a hand with their base if needed.) None of which I could ever do back on Live. And apartments, as I know them from CO at least, are not useful for that.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 3

Even Rebirth isn't necessarily "Classic" depending on what is meant by that by a given poster.  It's more like "Issue Locked" at a given point in the games history.  I want to say Issue 24 (i.e. Sunset?) but it's been awhile since I've read about the server nevermind been able to log into any server.  Point being it's not i9 (inventions) or i6 (pre-reside/CoV) or pre-ED or ... or any given nostalgic point in the games time-line or history for someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't there another server at some point that had rolled things back further?  I could swear I remember hearing something along those lines.

And guys, we don't have to turn this into a server pissing contest.

Been in the game and in the community since closed beta in 2004.  Am currently interested in producing and experiencing player-created story content for Praetoria that focuses on the level 40-50 range.
Architect Arc: Praetoria Falls! Book 1: The Evacuation of First Ward  |  Arc ID:  51490  |  Please check it out!  Feedback welcome!

On 9/17/2022 at 7:43 PM, Greycat said:

"Double Prestige?"

For me the breaking point turned out to be "costume alterations cost infamy under level 10" so I can't make alterations after seeing what a costume looks like while running around in game.

1 hour ago, Heavensrun said:

Wasn't there another server at some point that had rolled things back further?  I could swear I remember hearing something along those lines.

You really can't, at least not without a ton of work.  The only code that leaked was the Issue 24 beta code, and you can't just comment things out and miraculously turn it into an Issue 17 server.  You'd have to undo a lot of changes by hand.

2 hours ago, Heavensrun said:

I want to say it wasn't "rolled back" so much as an attempt at emulating a *very* early server, and that that had been going on since some point in live.  We don't have "early" code to work with, after all.