Prismatic Aether and locked costume items

Zhym

1 hour ago, Zhym said:

Thanks, but I wouldn't know what to do with it (other than buy Aether to get mini mode, of course).  And I mean that literally: where do people with that kind of scratch even keep it?  Mail?  Alts that are nothing but inf mules?  Market bids for items that no longer exist?

Plenty of space to bid on items that never existed instead of those that no longer exist.  Bid on lvl 53 IOs or recipes,  200 million each for a stack of 10 will store 2 billion safely.  Or bid on 9 so you dont have to hit the inf cap in order to store it or be totally broke to remove it.

3 hours ago, Zhym said:

Thanks, but I wouldn't know what to do with it (other than buy Aether to get mini mode, of course).  And I mean that literally: where do people with that kind of scratch even keep it?  Mail?  Alts that are nothing but inf mules?  Market bids for items that no longer exist?

I don't have that kind of inf now, but back on live I kept it distributed across characters and in the form of purple/unique IO's in my base.  I had a personal base just for storage - I bought the prestige to build it.  And I had a spreadsheet to track the money - not to track where it was, but to track which characters had room to hold more.  Sixty characters and a personal base with maxed out enhancement storage could hold a lot since each character could hold 2 billion and some enhancements sold for 2 billion on the AH and even more off-market.

I didn't trust the auction house or email system enough to store significant sums long-term.

• Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 hours ago, TheZag said:

Plenty of space to bid on items that never existed instead of those that no longer exist.  Bid on lvl 53 IOs or recipes,  200 million each for a stack of 10 will store 2 billion safely.  Or bid on 9 so you dont have to hit the inf cap in order to store it or be totally broke to remove it.

I can't recommend this, because you never know if items will go from never have existing to existing.

It's happened before.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

That is true, but its nothing that a bit of monitoring of patch notes couldnt prevent.  But with that kind of money,  it would be a drop in the bucket if those items got added and someone storing hundreds of billions got a few bids filled.  I dont store inf myself since i have only around 5 billion and its spread across 20 characters.

In terms of Prism drops they say that the length of the Weekly TF determines the drop of either 1 or 2.   Next week, DR Q. is among the weekly TF's.  Given the length of that TF one would hope it would drop 4 instead of 2.   Same with the other Shadow Shard TF's.

Also Halloween is coming. Will wearing a Prism costume let us get Halloween mission tip drops when doing ToT or will we will need to suit up in one of the Temp Power suits that can drop from ToT?  Same question applies to fighting the last boss in the Haunted House. Wearing a costume when defeating it earns a badge. Will a Prism costume count or no?

Edited by Voltor
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 alts with all the badges!

1 hour ago, Voltor said:

In terms of Prism drops they say that the length of the Weekly TF determines the drop of either 1 or 2.   Next week, DR Q. is among the weekly TF's.  Given the length of that TF one would hope it would drop 4 instead of 2.   Same with the other Shadow Shard TF's.

Also Halloween is coming. Will wearing a Prism costume let us get Halloween mission tip drops when doing ToT or will we will need to suit up in one of the Temp Power suits that can drop from ToT?  Same question applies to fighting the last boss in the Haunted House. Wearing a costume when defeating it earns a badge. Will a Prism costume count or no?

Good questions.

4 hours ago, Voltor said:

I'm going to guess no.   Different power type 

[Power:Halloween Costume: Hand of Artemis] from temporary powers vs

[Power:Costume: Hand of Artemis] from prestige costumes

9 hours ago, Voltor said:

It depends on whether the devs are on the ball or not.

As it stands, they have different power names, so they probably would not.

However, since they are functionally identical, they absolutely should.

Either way, we're talking about something would take literally 2-3 minutes to determine by testing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 hours ago, Voltor said:

Also Halloween is coming. Will wearing a Prism costume let us get Halloween mission tip drops when doing ToT or will we will need to suit up in one of the Temp Power suits that can drop from ToT?

I'm also guessing "no".  Frankly, if the intent is that you should be wearing a "costume" when trick-or-treating, then pretty much any character should qualify, regardless of whether they have one of the Halloween temp powers equipped, but if it's just for the latter, then there's your answer...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later
On 9/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, ForeverLaxx said:

Personally, I think that's a weird reason. It feels like long-time players are getting punished for playing a ton. Destiny does this constantly and it's extremely frustrating to have been playing for years, building materials, just for the next update to make all of it useless and you're at the same level Joe Shmo is who just installed 20 minutes ago. Why invest time when it's going to be spat on is how I look at it.

This is the crux of the problem with all games. 

The real aspect of a game of this type is for a player to enter, learn and evolve. DO the content.  People created a character, their AT, costume, story....and so on. They inhabited those characters for quite a while. New folks came in and saw these things and wanted them. They had to go through the same progression as everyone else. 

Now? You can make 10 level 50s in a day. There are folks that have LIVED (constantly) on these servers for years. Achieving a thing is a dead concept. They've been here SO long that the mere thought of earning something the way the devs intended is now viewed as a punishment. As you put it "Spat on". 

Sad state of affairs.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:37 PM, lemming said:

I'm going to guess no.   Different power type 

[Power:Halloween Costume: Hand of Artemis] from temporary powers vs

[Power:Costume: Hand of Artemis] from prestige costumes

Nice to see that I was wrong on this one. 😉

• 9 months later

Money aka influence is that what peeps are complaining about Prismatics? You have got to be kidding, right? Oh, I saw the swipe at afk farming, too. Here is my take on the balance of money making this game offers. People complain about "Farmers" all the time. AE Farming has been nerfed so many times over the years to "balance" money making it is a black-eye on the games face. I say this because of the following. Hami Raids, MSR's, and other farming techniques (farming weeklies, tf/sf , trials and radios can make as much money if not more money then farming.  I point out that in some cases you can make more money faster than AE farming (Hami Raids). People come out of the walls and cracks to farm Hami raids several times a week. Why? They get drops aka $. You get a chance at a very expensive HO that can be worth between 100,000 to 50,000,000. They usually run 3 Hami's each run  and there are several scheduled Hami Runs each week. The potential of making more money then farming is obvious. Players farm the MSR and there are a few each week. The benefits for farming MSR's is obvious for low level toons (EXP) and for other high level toons (merits....AKA money). Farming weeklies is a cult as well. Why for Prismatics and money in the end. let me be clear, certain events and TFs/SFs drop prismatics. Today 7/23/23 the average price of a prismatic is 4 million.  A 4* Dr. Aeon can take between 30 min and 1.5 hours on average depending upon the team. Yes, you need to have a decent toon to help the "TEAM"S" chances at success. I would point out that a lot of times 2 or 3 players carry the Dr Aeon team to completion and that includes 4* Dr Aeons. Yes Dr Aeon SF gives a chance to drop a D-sync worth between 100,000 and over 800,000,000+. Yes, you get prismatic drops too.

My points are: You need to put time into the game to learn all the things that it offers, badges, accolade powers, sg base building, pvping, farm building, how to build a farmer toon building, slotting, power rotation... Apparently, the Developers expanded COH by adding Prismatics as a new content. Every on line game I have played including WOW has content that only higher level toons can run and some need to be exceptional to completed some tasks. I don't think some players understand how much time very good players put into this game. Take a toon's build for example. You need to know what each power does and how to slot it then figure out where to put it in your power rotation. Very good players can respec their toons several times and may even respec again after new content is released. Everyone does not like to pvp so should we complain about pvping taking up valuable server space? Everyone does not like to base build. Everyone does not like to badge hunt. Should the devs do away with that content? Look. Find something that COH offers and run it don't be looking over your shoulder and complaining about other in game content. Find things that you like to run and run those things. Understand, that as much as you like to run things like pvp others like to run farms or other content. It is a game with many types of content for a diverse player population.

Lastly, there are many ways to do different things in this game. If you want to be really good then you need to put the time in to learn what it is you are trying to do. Yes things just dont fall from heaven into some players heads and pass by other players. Read what the new content is and then research it on line or in forums. If you want a good pvp toon do the research. if you want accolade powers; do the research. If you want to make money then do the research. If you want a good farmer or a good door/tf toon then do the research. You need to put the time in to be successful. You know that once you start down a research path things just wont suddenly fall into your lap like mana from heaven. Now you have to work and put time a lot of time to be very good at what it is you are trying to become. Let me be clear. You wont become a multi-billionaire farming toon over night it may take 6 months to a year. But once you have a decent farmer, have a good power rotation, and know how to build a decent farm money will come fast. Remember you will need to run farms a lot to make money so its not like you will be getting rich quick. Again other things like farming Hami Raids serveral times a week is faster at making money than AE farming is. Enjoy the game. Live and let live.

G E Man

Edited by G E Man
Misspelling

RAISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Edited by Riot Siren

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker 

Prismatic Aethers are one of the reasons I am playing a lot more WoW now.  To know there are character concepts I want to do (small soldier, as from the movie, gremlin, etc) and have each one locked behind 3 months grinding?  Fuhgeddaboudit

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

ah yes the notoriously ungrindy game, WoW

every game is a time sink.  In WoW I do not spend 3 months to unlock a look.  (though I never try, my transmog bank is huge now. If I cant buy it on the AH or luck into it I ignore it.)  I can take a toon from 1-70 and be 70 Mythic geared in a week or so with no "specials" running.  Days during events.  I mostly just putz around there doing quests.  Sometimes taking a toon and running for months on old expansions.  

But that is not "grind grind grind" O look, I got what I need I can make that toon I wanted....3 months ago...

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Prismatic Aethers are one of the reasons I am playing a lot more WoW now.  To know there are character concepts I want to do (small soldier, as from the movie, gremlin, etc) and have each one locked behind 3 months grinding?  Fuhgeddaboudit

It's why I decided to cut down on the number of characters and really don't make as many alts.  I ran all (~160) my characters thru halloween to get the Prismatics and afterwards felt that was silly.  Currently holding myself at 100, but have 20 flagged for removal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

what's wrong with your PC that it takes 3 months to open the AH

you got a few billion to toss to me to buy PAs?  because I am not throwing everything I got into that AH for a few toons

8 minutes ago, lemming said:

It's why I decided to cut down on the number of characters and really don't make as many alts.  I ran all (~160) my characters thru halloween to get the Prismatics and afterwards felt that was silly.  Currently holding myself at 100, but have 20 flagged for removal.

i play toons for longer iguess.  been on HC for years and have maybe 30 fully kitted out.  some with 2 builds and i think one with 3.  i make a concept and if the look, the powers, the animations and everything sync up i spent a long time on it.  same in any game.  if i find what i like i grind.  i may spend days or weeks testing various things to find the right combo of look powers and feel.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Snarky said:

you got a few billion to toss to me to buy PAs?  because I am not throwing everything I got into that AH for a few toons

Well if you would've asked I could have given you the ~200 that were clogging up my storage space!

• Haha 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!