Sentinel Archtype Revamp

Uun

Just now, drbuzzard said:

What I get for not checking. Guess you're right. Slows it is. Though slows are considered mitigation. 

Barely. Same for the damage debuff. They're tiny enough that they get completely eaten by the purple patch.

I have to wonder if you've played any of the sets you're attempting to comment on.

6 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

What I get for not checking. Guess you're right. Slows it is. Though slows are considered mitigation. 

It could be you were confusing two different parts.

There is ONE power in DP that gets changed from Stun to Hold when you activate ANY Special ammo.

3 minutes ago, XaoGarrent said:

Barely. Same for the damage debuff. They're tiny enough that they get completely eaten by the purple patch.

I have to wonder if you've played any of the sets you're attempting to comment on.

I've played every sentinel set both sides to 50 (not every possible combo, but a lot. I've acknowledged my error. You can let it go. I generally don't expect mitigation from the primary because the AT has a defensive secondary. This means I don't really need it. 

But whatever, I screwed up, and will move on. 

5 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

It could be you were confusing two different parts.

There is ONE power in DP that gets changed from Stun to Hold when you activate ANY Special ammo.

Likely this. It's been a while since I touched my DP sent since I didn't care for the set. The DPAS is generally low, and I dislike the animations. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, Uun said:

If you haven't seen the new release on the beta server. They're also proliferating Seismic Blast and Stone Armor to sentinels.

NGL, part of me actually wanted to do a Sentinel with Granite Armor, so I could basically play at being a mobile turret 😂

Just now, Sakura Tenshi said:

Does thje debuff stack from separate sources? I know from testing it out it doesn't stack from a single source. (which is a bit of a shame)

it does not. And it cannot be cast on a target that already has it on them. So you can’t waste it.

But two Sentinels can keep it perma on one target easily, and you can put it on multiple targets.

Bleh, all the pity, honestly. I mean, don't get me wrong, the new vulnerability mechanic is nice, it's just that some of the debuff seems incredibly anemic in many places. (-15% regeneration? that wouldn't even do anything against a minion. don't get me started on a -15% debuff to control resistances) And the lackluster oomph to it would feel a bit more understandable if it could be piled on by at least a team of sentinels. Especially since the 'perma' thing isn't an issue for even one sentinel.

Just now, Sakura Tenshi said:

Bleh, all the pity, honestly. I mean, don't get me wrong, the new vulnerability mechanic is nice, it's just that some of the debuff seems incredibly anemic in many places. (-15% regeneration? that wouldn't even do anything against a minion. don't get me started on a -15% debuff to control resistances) And the lackluster oomph to it would feel a bit more understandable if it could be piled on by at least a team of sentinels. Especially since the 'perma' thing isn't an issue for even one sentinel.

one Sentinel has about 50% uptime on one target in a long fight. So making it perma in a gm or av fight is definitely an issue, past the first 45 seconds or so. Depends on how hard stuff you’re fighting of course.

It’s not for minions. Using it on a minion is a waste.

The Debuffs ignore level differences, so it’s stronger than you might think, and the debuff and mez resistance debuffs are also handier than you might expect.

Considering it’s an auto hit def and res debuff with no end cost and no activation time, it’s about as powerful as would be balanced. Keep in mind the old Opportunity debuff also did not stack, only the small passive debuff. That was replaced by the base damage increase, so losing the stacking part is not really a problem.

1 minute ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

Oh, ho, the debuffs ignore level difference? Do they ignore resistances to them in general? Either way, that does make a difference.

No, it does not ignore resistances. Just level differences and defense.

Edited by Wavicle

Based partly on looking at the new Sentinel inherent I have been thinking about how -res and -def work in CoH.   My kitchen table back of the napkin wisdom goes like this.  Useless against minions and Lts.  They are dead before it matters.  Near useless against almost all AVs. They are too tough.  Somewhat helpful against GMs and EBs.  As with most things there are no doubt subtleties I am missing.  But that is not outside current reality too much

Edited by Snarky

• City Council
6 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

It is not a -15% regeneration. It is -15% resistance to regeneration. So if you (or a teammate) follow up with a -200% regen debuff, it does -230% instead.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Based partly on looking at the new Sentinel inherent I have been thinking about how -res and -def work in CoH.   My kitchen table back of the napkin wisdom goes like this.  Useless against minions and Lts.  They are dead before it matters.  Near useless against almost all AVs. They are too tough.  Somewhat helpful against GMs and EBs.  As with most things there are no doubt subtleties I am missing.  But that is not outside current reality too much

You are correct about the lackeys. You are wrong about the AVs. The sentinel powers amplify the rest of the team with the type of debuffs. Solo? Yeah, not real strong on an AV, but you better have a good build if you're doing that kind of stuff. 

Also, another vote for envenomed daggers. These are way underappreciated. They can drag a lousy PUG over the finish line in many a TF. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok so I took a few Sents out for some playtime. It is nice to have the damage increase. No doubt. I think the inherent is ok - it could have been more or different. There were some cool ideas on various forums. 

Hopefully the Devs take another look and make some adjustments in the future.

Thanks to the HC team for addressing this issue and making something happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

And if your team is not debuffing Regen it does....nothing.  How many Sentinel powers debuff Regeneration?

The power is designed so that no matter what your powerset is it does Something for you, and so that no matter what your teammates powers are it does Something for them as well. Not Every aspect of the debuff will be useful to the soloist, but every soloist will benefit from it in some way.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

The power is designed so that no matter what your powerset is it does Something for you, and so that no matter what your teammates powers are it does Something for them as well. Not Every aspect of the debuff will be useful to the soloist, but every soloist will benefit from it in some way.

Seen from the prism of 'bosses are what survive longer in a group' then Vulnerability its ass in a new spawn (does not trigger agro), Aim, nuke, unleash all AoEs. Boss which usually is what survives longer took 15% more damage, and its available at every spawn.

9 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Seen from the prism of 'bosses are what survive longer in a group' then Vulnerability its ass in a new spawn (does not trigger agro), Aim, nuke, unleash all AoEs. Boss which usually is what survives longer took 15% more damage, and its available at every spawn.

Aim first, then Vulnerability.

Using Aim during Vulnerability takes time out of Vulnerability, but using Vulnerability during Aim takes almost no time.

The exception is when you’re helping your teammates before you’re in range or when you’re on a different target, then Vulnerability first.

• Thumbs Up 2