Need class suggestions.

Sepherion

The Shield armor set for Brutes, Scrappers and Tankers, has a "Shield Charge" power that teleports you to the enemies and does PbAoE damage. It combines well with Broadsword, Energy Melee and Super Strength.

Both Kinetics and Empathy on Defenders and Corruptors are great for buffing other people, not so much for ones self though.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Well nothing says class more than marble columns.

Watch Saturday Night Live Highlight: Marble Columns - NBC.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

The elec/shield Brutes … or shield/elec Tanks would give you two of the charge abilities. 

If you want to truly buff a kinetics powerset was always great. An empath healer is great, as far as keeping a team up. 

I invite you to look at things like an ice/cold Corruptor as well.  The debuffs on cold domination on this particular AT powersets combo is very powerful.   

14 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

When you take Combat Teleport and use /bind r "powexeclocation target Combat Teleport" all your melee characters have a charge ability.

This is the -BAMF!- way. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

12 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Check the AT sub forum for posts by @Bopper, @KaizenSoze, @Harakh, or @Gulbasaur.

Or @tidge

12 hours ago, Sepherion said:

So, I'm coming back to homecoming after a long hiatus and was looking to make either a class that can buff the crap out of myself and other people OR a melee class that has sort of a "Charge" ability kind of like a warrior in WoW. Any suggestions? 

I'll throw in another suggestion for the "epic archetypes" - widows, soldiers, peacebringers and kheldians. They're all hybrids and have self-buffing or team support capability. 

The other alternative would be to dip into the power pools and pick and choose what you play with - CoH's archetypes are a lot more freeform than WoW's classes. 

My main main is a fortunata "blood widow", so melee capable but can also mez and do some ranged AoE damage, as well as having respectably high defence and team AoE buffs.

Kheldians are similar in vibe to WoW's druids in the shapeshifting, only you don't explicitly lean into one form quite as much (unless you want to). They're quirky, but they're fun to play. 

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

12 hours ago, Sepherion said:

So, I'm coming back to homecoming after a long hiatus and was looking to make either a class that can buff the crap out of myself and other people OR a melee class that has sort of a "Charge" ability kind of like a warrior in WoW. Any suggestions? 

Melee class with charge - anything with shield defense. I think Elec melee also has some of that

10 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

When you take Combat Teleport and use /bind r "powexeclocation target Combat Teleport" all your melee characters have a charge ability.

This, and in addition Speed of Sound's Jaunt function. I personally prefer Jaunt to Combat Teleport (tho I love both) because it animates faster and has a longer range. This, combined with Speed of Sound's speed increase, really lets you zip around the battlefield.

In fact I love them both so much, my default keybind for the T key is [$$powexeclocation target Jaunt$$powexeclocation target Combat Teleport]. Just so that I have it handy on any fresh character I roll.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
I really gotta stop writing these from my phone.

5 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

This, and in addition Speed of Sound's Jaunt function. I personally prefer Jaunt to Combat Teleport (tho I love both) because it animates faster and has a longer range. This, combined with Speed of Sound's speed increase, really lets you zip around the battlefield.

In fact I love them both so much, my default keybind for the T key is [$$powexeclocation target Jaunt$$powexeclocation target Combat Teleport]. Just so that I have it handy on any fresh character I roll.

what a fantastic macro! I think I'll take it...

benny.gif.ecbabecd2d21ede7d82e53eb5f3bacd4.gif

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

14 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

I do this on one tank and of course its Burst of Speed on my DP/MC Blaster.  Its neat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

52 minutes ago, Redletter said:

benny.gif.ecbabecd2d21ede7d82e53eb5f3bacd4.gif

I totally hate Benny . . . and not just because of that suit jacket he's wearing.

• Haha 1

Classes? I enjoyed History the most, specifically the Origins of Democracy as well as a class on different Empires throughout human history.

Oh, game ATs? Well, there are many melee with charge-like abilities - Savage Melee, Electrical Melee, and Shield Defense all have a charge/teleport, and there is also a Leap Attack in the Jumping pool as well. You could have a Tanker, Scrapper, Brute, or even stalker. An Electric/Shield stalker is actually quite good.

As far as buffing, well there are many classes that can buff. Defenders stand out in that, but Masterminds and Corruptors have access to similar powers if you want a different playstyle. The kind of buff desired is also important.

17 hours ago, Psyonico said:

I'll 2nd shield for charging, pair it with Savage or Electric melee for a second charge like ability.

I'll 3rd Shield. And yes both Savage and Elec get another tp self into crowd attack. You can also supplement with combat teleport where you do a short ranged teleport and get a to hit buff, otherwise in the leaping pool you can take spring attack for another tp into crowd attack but it's fairly subpar.

With all of the skills that teleport you you can write custom binds or macros to make the teleport more fluid or to directly to your target.

/Macro Charge, powexec_location target (name of power)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sepherion said:

So, just for the sake of not retreading old ground, let me ask;

Are you looking to play a support, or, are you looking to play a tank? Because youre asking about a good buff class, *OR* a power set with an ability similar to the WoW warrior, who is a tank in that game, who gets a charge because getting a tank to where they need to be is top priority.

I ask, because City of Heroes is structured in such a way that you can get a "charge" in many different ways. Melee focused classes have access to Elec Melee, Savage Melee, and Shield Defense. These power sets offer an attack that lets you click on a location, and "charge" to that spot (it's functionally a teleport for the most part). Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers, and Stalkers all have access to these things, and you can take both if you want to "charge" more than once between cooldowns.

However, there's several powers ANY character can take. Teleport, Combat Teleport, Jaunt, and Spring Attack come from teriary powersets available to you at level 4 (Spring Attack will take longer to get, but you get access to its tree at level 4). All of these offer the same utility OF the shield charge, it gets you from where you are, to where you want to be (namely, directly on someone you wanna punch). This would mean, if all you're looking for is a "Charge", you could be a buff focused support, who has the ability to "charge" wherever they please.

Likewise, if youre looking for a buff 'class' you have a lot of options. Do you want your buff numbers to be the biggest? Do you want to double as a ranged DPS? Crowd Control more to your taste? Or, do you want to employ a cadre of minions to do your bidding alongside your buffs? Do you want melee abilities to go along with your buffs?  What kind of buffs do you want to focus on, defensive, offensive, utility? Have you considered Debuffs instead?

These are all questions I'd ask you to think of, because, City of Heroes' "classes" dictate passive abilities, general role, and the numbers your powers have.

So, for instance. If you want to build a buffer, you have a LOT of options. Defenders, Controllers, Masterminds, and Corruptors have the "support" powers. Defenders get the biggest numbers on their buffs and debuffs, but the lowest in their offensive abilities. Corruptors are the theological opposite of that, with fairly potent offensive powers, but their support powers arent as strong as defender's. Controllers are one of only two crowd control classes, and theyre the only one of those two that get support powers. Masterminds trade a conventional primary powerset for minions, effectively making them "Summoners" of a type. They all have support power sets, several of which focus on buffs.

But, the Arachnos Widow (and the Soldier of Arachnos) options come with buffs built into them. They very strange, but very functional, and the only way to make a potent melee character who also buffs the team (these two are somewhat jacks of all trades).

Meanwhile, on the melee front, the reason why I ask if you want to be a "tank" is because of the 4 dedicated melee classes only 3 get taunts built into their kit, and of those three only 2 draw aggro on hit, and of those 2 one is definitively better than the other. What you LIKE about being a WoW Warrior is important to identify, because if it's something like "I never die" than you may be surprised to find that every class in Homecoming can reach of point of nigh immortality. which the differences between classes dictating how quickly and how easily this state of god-like vigor is reached.

So, here's my suggestions just based on my superficial understanding of what you're looking for:

Melee (according to your desires)

Savage Melee/Bio Armor Brute - This gives you a LOT of AoE damage, a lot of survivability, and a lot of versatility. It also gives you your charge.

Shield Defense/Super Strength Tanker - This is, what I would call, the quintessential "super hero power fantasy" powerset combo. Tankers are as big and tough as they come, Super Strength is very functional, offers a very popular damage buff, and shield defense also offers a damage buff, as well as your desired charge.

Titan Weapon/Bio Armor Scrapper (ft. Spring Attack) - This is... a bit of a meme? Not like a "haha funny" meme, more like a "haha big numbee" meme. Titan Weapons give you AoE to envy, Bio Armor gives you a big damage buff for a set that already does a lot of damage, and through leveling you'll be taking Combat Teleport early on, and later, Spring Attack to let you quickly engage enemies as you go along.

Elec Melee/Shield Defense Stalker (ft. Spring Attack) - This is the "haha funny" meme. Stalker's are the opposite of tanks, they deal LOTS of damage, but they don't feel comfy taking damage. They avoid having to take lots of damage with a few abilities that help them manipulate aggro, the most essential of which is their first level power in their secondary tree, "Hide". The thing about hide is that it breaks when you execute an attack... *HOWEVER* there's some exceptions. It seems, any power that uses a target location, doesnt break stealth. So, Elec Melee has a teleport attack, so does Shield Defense, and then there's Spring Attack... you'll basically be insivisble, as you explode into groups of enemies and they just stand there, getting knocked around, taking heaps of damage, unable to understand how or why, It's silly, but silly is fun (objectively fun, if you disagree, you're violating the ToS? Betchu didn't read the part where the devs said you have to agree to silly being fun. But I did. That's how I know).

Buff Boi (according to buffs being buffs)

Kinetics/Dark Blast Defender - This is a very basic class. Kinetics are a very powerful (arguably the MOST powerful) buff set that just about everyone loves to see and very easy to use, and Dark Blast comes with a lot of useful powers, and imposes a malus to hit on your enemies when you hit them (effecitvely buffing your teams survivability by making enemies less accurate).

Plant Control/Kinetics - Plants are a very easy, very strong primary control powerset, Kinetics are still powerful. It's not the most powerful combo on earth, but, it's a good place to start for beginers.

Beam Rifle/Kinetics Corruptor - Corruptor's passive is called "Scourge" and it offers a damage bonus the lower your enemies health gets, Beam Rifle offers DoTs that help edge enemies into range for more consistent dps. Kinetics, remains, very good. You'll not want for much, if anything. 

Robots/Kinetics Mastermind - Robots (prior to the recent rework) have the highest AoE DPS of any mastermind class, and they're beefy as it is. Kinetics make them beefier, and DPSeeer. It just works.

Resident certified baby

2 hours ago, Redletter said:

So, just for the sake of not retreading old ground, let me ask;

Are you looking to play a support, or, are you looking to play a tank? Because youre asking about a good buff class, *OR* a power set with an ability similar to the WoW warrior, who is a tank in that game, who gets a charge because getting a tank to where they need to be is top priority.

I ask, because City of Heroes is structured in such a way that you can get a "charge" in many different ways. Melee focused classes have access to Elec Melee, Savage Melee, and Shield Defense. These power sets offer an attack that lets you click on a location, and "charge" to that spot (it's functionally a teleport for the most part). Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers, and Stalkers all have access to these things, and you can take both if you want to "charge" more than once between cooldowns.

However, there's several powers ANY character can take. Teleport, Combat Teleport, Jaunt, and Spring Attack come from teriary powersets available to you at level 4 (Spring Attack will take longer to get, but you get access to its tree at level 4). All of these offer the same utility OF the shield charge, it gets you from where you are, to where you want to be (namely, directly on someone you wanna punch). This would mean, if all you're looking for is a "Charge", you could be a buff focused support, who has the ability to "charge" wherever they please.

Likewise, if youre looking for a buff 'class' you have a lot of options. Do you want your buff numbers to be the biggest? Do you want to double as a ranged DPS? Crowd Control more to your taste? Or, do you want to employ a cadre of minions to do your bidding alongside your buffs? Do you want melee abilities to go along with your buffs?  What kind of buffs do you want to focus on, defensive, offensive, utility? Have you considered Debuffs instead?

These are all questions I'd ask you to think of, because, City of Heroes' "classes" dictate passive abilities, general role, and the numbers your powers have.

So, for instance. If you want to build a buffer, you have a LOT of options. Defenders, Controllers, Masterminds, and Corruptors have the "support" powers. Defenders get the biggest numbers on their buffs and debuffs, but the lowest in their offensive abilities. Corruptors are the theological opposite of that, with fairly potent offensive powers, but their support powers arent as strong as defender's. Controllers are one of only two crowd control classes, and theyre the only one of those two that get support powers. Masterminds trade a conventional primary powerset for minions, effectively making them "Summoners" of a type. They all have support power sets, several of which focus on buffs.

But, the Arachnos Widow (and the Soldier of Arachnos) options come with buffs built into them. They very strange, but very functional, and the only way to make a potent melee character who also buffs the team (these two are somewhat jacks of all trades).

Meanwhile, on the melee front, the reason why I ask if you want to be a "tank" is because of the 4 dedicated melee classes only 3 get taunts built into their kit, and of those three only 2 draw aggro on hit, and of those 2 one is definitively better than the other. What you LIKE about being a WoW Warrior is important to identify, because if it's something like "I never die" than you may be surprised to find that every class in Homecoming can reach of point of nigh immortality. which the differences between classes dictating how quickly and how easily this state of god-like vigor is reached.

So, here's my suggestions just based on my superficial understanding of what you're looking for:

Melee (according to your desires)

Savage Melee/Bio Armor Brute - This gives you a LOT of AoE damage, a lot of survivability, and a lot of versatility. It also gives you your charge.

Shield Defense/Super Strength Tanker - This is, what I would call, the quintessential "super hero power fantasy" powerset combo. Tankers are as big and tough as they come, Super Strength is very functional, offers a very popular damage buff, and shield defense also offers a damage buff, as well as your desired charge.

Titan Weapon/Bio Armor Scrapper (ft. Spring Attack) - This is... a bit of a meme? Not like a "haha funny" meme, more like a "haha big numbee" meme. Titan Weapons give you AoE to envy, Bio Armor gives you a big damage buff for a set that already does a lot of damage, and through leveling you'll be taking Combat Teleport early on, and later, Spring Attack to let you quickly engage enemies as you go along.

Elec Melee/Shield Defense Stalker (ft. Spring Attack) - This is the "haha funny" meme. Stalker's are the opposite of tanks, they deal LOTS of damage, but they don't feel comfy taking damage. They avoid having to take lots of damage with a few abilities that help them manipulate aggro, the most essential of which is their first level power in their secondary tree, "Hide". The thing about hide is that it breaks when you execute an attack... *HOWEVER* there's some exceptions. It seems, any power that uses a target location, doesnt break stealth. So, Elec Melee has a teleport attack, so does Shield Defense, and then there's Spring Attack... you'll basically be insivisble, as you explode into groups of enemies and they just stand there, getting knocked around, taking heaps of damage, unable to understand how or why, It's silly, but silly is fun (objectively fun, if you disagree, you're violating the ToS? Betchu didn't read the part where the devs said you have to agree to silly being fun. But I did. That's how I know).

Buff Boi (according to buffs being buffs)

Kinetics/Dark Blast Defender - This is a very basic class. Kinetics are a very powerful (arguably the MOST powerful) buff set that just about everyone loves to see and very easy to use, and Dark Blast comes with a lot of useful powers, and imposes a malus to hit on your enemies when you hit them (effecitvely buffing your teams survivability by making enemies less accurate).

Plant Control/Kinetics - Plants are a very easy, very strong primary control powerset, Kinetics are still powerful. It's not the most powerful combo on earth, but, it's a good place to start for beginers.

Beam Rifle/Kinetics Corruptor - Corruptor's passive is called "Scourge" and it offers a damage bonus the lower your enemies health gets, Beam Rifle offers DoTs that help edge enemies into range for more consistent dps. Kinetics, remains, very good. You'll not want for much, if anything. 

Robots/Kinetics Mastermind - Robots (prior to the recent rework) have the highest AoE DPS of any mastermind class, and they're beefy as it is. Kinetics make them beefier, and DPSeeer. It just works.

I'm more interested in self buffs. I like the idea of like activating a crap ton of buffs on myself and then going into battle. I tried out the tanker and am not really impressed. I'm struggling at low level and dying often, so I have no idea what's going on . 

4 hours ago, Sepherion said:

I tried out the tanker and am not really impressed. I'm struggling at low level and dying often, so I have no idea what's going on . 

By "low level" what are you referring to?  Most Tanker sets don't get all the shiny toggles until the mid 20's, some even later than that.   If you want mass buffage at those levels (or less) then you need to be on a team that has characters with team-buff-capable powersets.   

• Like 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!