Let people make their topics and speak.

Relvinian

Most of it is people that lurk on here desperately waiting to post on anything. You'll come to recognize the names. Forum sharks (trolls). They're in every thread on every topic. They are trying to uphold a reputation they've built over long years. They MUST stroke the ego!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, shatterpoint said:

Most of it is people that lurk on here desperately waiting to post on anything. You'll come to recognize the names. Forum sharks (trolls). They're in every thread on every topic. They are trying to uphold a reputation they've built over long years. They MUST stroke the ego!

It is NOT an addiction.  It is a choice.  Now blood on the other hand...

• Haha 4

On 10/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, America's Angel said:

Let people make their replies and speak.

The only way to stop them is to put them on ignore or a Moderator shutting down the thread.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, Psyonico said:

Echo Chambers are not a good thing.

I don't think trolls are a good thing either, but I think you get some badges for defeating them.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

The question is, can one actually 'beat' forum trolls?  Other than not letting them pull aggro?  😄

-------------

Now... as to this concept of "Echo Chambers"... y'all know what those are, right?

An Echo Chamber is a space where the only response you'll ever get is a positive one.   

An Echo Chamber is not a healthy place for debate, because by definition, there is no counterpoint, no rebuttal.  It's all either "Yay! Go you!" or silence.  

The TOPIC could be negative, or positive.  That doesn't matter.  What matters is the lack of reasoned opposition.  By that I don't mean the typical "you suck!" catcalling and meme-fuel  shitposting, but actual "Ok, you posted X, Y, and Z, let's look at them each and see how they stack up."  We should welcome critical debate (which only addresses the topic, NOT the posters!) because that allows all to see the subject en entire, not from limited facets that may be the flavor of the day.  By the same token, there's nothing wrong with saying "I don't like where this is going" or "I disagree" as an opinion.  That's fine, too.  Sometimes people have more of a gut feeling, and may not feel like typing out a reason why they have it (or they honestly are struggling with the 'why' themselves.)  

I have no issues with people posting something that I disagree with.  I DO have an issue with not allowing a rational and reasoned reply, covering how, and why, I would disagree.

• Thanks 8

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

9 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

The TOPIC could be negative, or positive.  That doesn't matter.  What matters is the lack of reasoned opposition.  By that I don't mean the typical "you suck!" catcalling and meme-fuel  shitposting, but actual "Ok, you posted X, Y, and Z, let's look at them each and see how they stack up."  We should welcome critical debate (which only addresses the topic, NOT the posters!) because that allows all to see the subject en entire, not from limited facets that may be the flavor of the day.  By the same token, there's nothing wrong with saying "I don't like where this is going" or "I disagree" as an opinion.  That's fine, too.  Sometimes people have more of a gut feeling, and may not feel like typing out a reason why they have it (or they honestly are struggling with the 'why' themselves.)  

I have no issues with people posting something that I disagree with.  I DO have an issue with not allowing a rational and reasoned reply, covering how, and why, I would disagree.

I do agree with your entire post.  This however is gold.  I do love reasoned give and take on a topic.

I also understand many might consider me in the less than reasonable group of posters.  Fair enough.  To that I will say that I have deep running emotions. Some out there will see that and attempt to pick and goad.  I have little tolerance for perceived snottery. If you want to discuss grand ideas I am right there with you. Go to sling monkey poo at me and you may notice the trebuchet loaded with le port du potty behind me (or you may not)

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

The question is, can one actually 'beat' forum trolls?  Other than not letting them pull aggro?  😄

-------------

Now... as to this concept of "Echo Chambers"... y'all know what those are, right?

An Echo Chamber is a space where the only response you'll ever get is a positive one.   

An Echo Chamber is not a healthy place for debate, because by definition, there is no counterpoint, no rebuttal.  It's all either "Yay! Go you!" or silence.  

>Been gone for a few years, came back a few days ago to check out the game.

>Have questions about new issues, go to forums.

>Spend a little bit watching forums, wondering if it was even a good idea to come back to this game after interacting with it's playerbase a few days.  

>First page.  Post about the dangers of the HC forum echochamber. 

>Dozens of posts supporting shouting down any disagreement and shutting down "unapproved posters"

>Example after example of posts and ideas except those presented by "approved posters" being considered trollspam and ignored or chastised.

>Threads derail into bullshit.

>MFW I realize that the forums are literally useless now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

I also understand many might consider me in the less than reasonable group of posters.  Fair enough.  To that I will say that I have deep running emotions. Some out there will see that and attempt to pick and goad.  I have little tolerance for perceived snottery. If you want to discuss grand ideas I am right there with you. Go to sling monkey poo at me and you may notice the trebuchet loaded with le port du potty behind me (or you may not)

When my older son was an infant, we took him with us to see the movie you were in. First of all, the theater was pretty empty. So not that many people wanted to pay to see you. Secondly, you put him to sleep. Once you started talking--he slept through the entire thing. Sooo...you're obscure but sometimes soothing to infants (?). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Killfever said:

>Been gone for a few years, came back a few days ago to check out the game.

>Have questions about new issues, go to forums.

>Spend a little bit watching forums, wondering if it was even a good idea to come back to this game after interacting with it's playerbase a few days.  

>First page.  Post about the dangers of the HC forum echochamber. 

>Dozens of posts supporting shouting down any disagreement and shutting down "unapproved posters"

>Example after example of posts and ideas except those presented by "approved posters" being considered trollspam and ignored or chastised.

>Threads derail into bullshit.

>MFW I realize that the forums are literally useless now.

welcome back

• Thumbs Up 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

While the OP does not owe a response to anyone, if they post a topic, especially something vague, then either don't bother to clarify or incredulously act as if the don't have to, then they are in no position to act as if they have been victimized.  State your case, clarify or defend it, or abandon it and move on...

And for the record, I am specifically referring to CONSTRUCTIVE responses, not bait/trolling attempts...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

Even disregarding the tendency of official MMO forums to attract the detritus of their player base, online forums, especially ones with an upvote/downvote system like Reddit, generally become unipolar on most issues. People do not come for a discussion in good faith; they want to commiserate with those who share their perspective, and have their worldviews and biases reinforced. Disagreement is seen as a threat, and people will loudly screech for you to support or defend your viewpoints, while blithely disregarding the evidence you have provided and failing to provide data of their own. It was largely this way on the official forums, too, and the forumites whose names I still recognize have aged like fresh milk in the years since.

Unfortunately, we do sort of have to participate, because I've been told this is where the devs get their feedback from. If you don't speak up, you won't be heard, and Homecoming will reflect only the views of the noisy minority. So get out there in suggestions and feedback, be active on the beta server, post in the Beta forum before an upcoming patch, and post after each patch letting the devs know which changes you liked and which you didn't.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Zect said:

Even disregarding the tendency of official MMO forums to attract the detritus of their player base, online forums, especially ones with an upvote/downvote system like Reddit, generally become unipolar on most issues. People do not come for a discussion in good faith; they want to commiserate with those who share their perspective, and have their worldviews and biases reinforced. Disagreement is seen as a threat, and people will loudly screech for you to support or defend your viewpoints, while blithely disregarding the evidence you have provided and failing to provide data of their own. It was largely this way on the official forums, too, and the forumites whose names I still recognize have aged like fresh milk in the years since.

Unfortunately, we do sort of have to participate, because I've been told this is where the devs get their feedback from. If you don't speak up, you won't be heard, and Homecoming will reflect only the views of the noisy minority. So get out there in suggestions and feedback, be active on the beta server, post in the Beta forum before an upcoming patch, and post after each patch letting the devs know which changes you liked and which you didn't.

You make a valid statement.  Let me tear it apart!   🙂 

But seriously the one thing that came to mind is something you missed.  I come to the forums, well okay, I have fun here doing all the above….. but I come to the forums for help.  On procs on warshades on badges on Donner on Vixen, c’mon Rudolph. Errr.  I feel sidetracked 

Anyways the core reason I keep returning to the forums is the knowledge base.  I have learned so much from the in depth analysis of Sentinel sets in the Sentinels forum. Truly every archetype forum should have that thread stuck to the top.  Builders like Hyperstrike have redefined the fun things you can do in game

Thank you all.  Okay, time for this aged milk to go get some sun time

Edited by Snarky
  • Thumbs Up 4

36 minutes ago, Snarky said:

You make a valid statement.  Let me tear it apart!   🙂 

But seriously the one thing that came to mind is something you missed.  I come to the forums, well okay, I have fun here doing all the above….. but I come to the forums for help.  On procs on warshades on badges on Donner on Vixen, c’mon Rudolph. Errr.  I feel sidetracked 

Anyways the core reason I keep returning to the forums is the knowledge base.  I have learned so much from the in depth analysis of Sentinel sets in the Sentinels forum. Truly every archetype forum should have that thread stuck to the top.  Builders like Hyperstrike have redefined the fun things you can do in game

Thank you all.  Okay, time for this aged milk to go get some sun time

No! Don't do it Snarky. It's not worth it and you have so much to be undead for!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 10/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, Psyonico said:

Yes, you're allowed to have your opinion and you are allowed to post about it.  However that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have my opinion and also post about it.

No where here does anyone mention anything about keeping you from posting your opinion.  Sounds like you are trying to pick a fight.

Your opinions, and your ability to voice your opinions, is not infringed.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

No where here does anyone mention anything about keeping you from posting your opinion.  Sounds like you are trying to pick a fight.

Your opinions, and your ability to voice your opinions, is not infringed.

pst, it was in the original post and was kind of the topic.

"noticed a trend.  Someone makes a topic and the top response to the topic is basically shut up."

Maybe I missed some sarcasm, inside joke or something.

• Haha 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 10/24/2022 at 4:02 PM, Relvinian said:

Haven't posted all that much I just play the game.  But I dropped by the forum today and noticed a trend.  Someone makes a topic and the top response to the topic is basically shut up.

That is no way to have discourse.  We get enough of that in other places.

Now I'm just going to move on.  Consider me the "every man" if the opinion of just some guy who isn't posting millions of times matters.

The game is old, everyone has done it a certain way and won't allow change.  The more they post has helped them in the past carve the game to how they want it.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:02 PM, Relvinian said:

Haven't posted all that much I just play the game.  But I dropped by the forum today and noticed a trend.  Someone makes a topic and the top response to the topic is basically shut up.

The OP is right. If you want to shut someone down, instead give rational argument like a civilised person - detail the benefits of "no change", and then we can all understand your perspective.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, Herotu said:

instead give rational argument like a civilised person

We tried that, got tired of "LOL wat?" as the response.

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!