Snipers

CJStevens17

I'm fairly new so please be gentle. Is there a sniper character - if so, how to I make one? Or is there just enhancements that are sniper items - if so what character would be best? I've search as much as possible but not knowing all the jargon, I don't understand most of what I read.

Thanks....I love this game and am only sorry I didn't know about it until I was a 73-year-old grandma, lol.

• Like 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

There isn't a "sniper" class per se, but some power sets have a snipe.

If you want to feel "sniperish" I'd probably recommend a Beam Rifle/Energy blaster.  You get a lot of strong single target attacks, a snipe power, and Energy Manipulation has Boost Range to give yourself increased range on all of your ranged attacks.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

Almost every Blaster has a Snipe power.  Ice does not.  Blasters and Corruptors have the heaviest hitting Snipes, Blasters winning easily until scourge magically decides to work.  

With that in mind I would focus on concept.  If you are running a Fantastic Four flaming man, a Fire Blaster (across everything) is just the hardest hitting thing CoH has.  Its THE glass cannon.  secondary efffect is more damage, no mitigation.  I have a Beam Rifle Blaster I run for late game badge teams.  Damn hard hitting single target, all ranged.  Has Snipe. Then I pair it with  temporal manipulation for a fully ranged secondary set.  Old School Beam Rifle Kinetics Corruptors are monster team builds.  Hard hitting ST and great team help.  (If a little much to get used to if truly green)

But definitely go concept first.  Pick what you love.  Make a toon that speaks to you.  Every flavor is available.  Some of this shit has nutz in it.

Also, look up Yomo on the boards and in game.  He gives 20 mil to all new players!

good Luck.  (We will help with builds if needed)

Edited by Snarky

As others have said, there isn't really a "sniper" class, but there are several ranged archetypes and most of them will get a very powerful, very long-range, slow and interruptable attack, usually referred to as a "snipe" -- they take a few seconds to "charge" once you activate them and if you're hit during that period the attack won't fire, so they're generally used as an opening shot before starting a fight. Once you're actually in combat, they behave differently -- still hard-hitting, but not as hard hitting, and without that interruptable "charging" period.

If by "sniper" you're also thinking of a stealth-based character, there's a Concealment pool that anyone can take (starting at level 4) that will help you hide from enemies, and there are enhancements (equipment) that can be attached to movement powers that will extend some stealth benefits too. A few defensive/armor secondary powersets (for scrappers, brutes and sentinels) have a "cloaking" ability somewhere in their progression too. Also, Super Speed makes you more or less invisible, but isn't always manageable in-combat due to its endurance cost and the... challenge of positioning yourself properly when your speed is that high. It can be done, but it's a little more challenging than just taking the power and calling it a day.

And on the subject of stealth, take a look at the stalker archetype. It's probably the closest thing in practice to a traditional "sniper" approach -- sneak around undetected and drop a powerful enemy with a single attack -- though it's a melee class, so depending on your preferences and how married you are to being a true sniper-sniper that may or may not be your cup of tea. Not shooty, but stabby. Stalkers get an "assassin's strike" power that works in a similar way to the "snipes" I mentioned earlier, just not at range. But they also get a built-in stealth power available at level 1.

• Like 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant

Drop Dead Gorgeous Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden

Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Doctor Roswell (Psychic Blast/Atomic Manipulation blaster, 16 August 2024)

to add to this a few of the blasters corruptors have stealth in the secondary sets.  Devices, has a stealth.  my dark/dark vamp has a stealth and a fe others.  now my dark is a team stealth, not invisible, just sort of.  and does not suppress in combat.  i have a celerity+stealth i/o in my run power that when added with that becomes true invisibility.  but the celerity suppresses in combat.  

the game is very intricate.  again, go concept first.  in my opinion you will probably be a lot happier

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Psyonico said:

There isn't a "sniper" class per se, but some power sets have a snipe.

If you want to feel "sniperish" I'd probably recommend a Beam Rifle/Energy blaster.  You get a lot of strong single target attacks, a snipe power, and Energy Manipulation has Boost Range to give yourself increased range on all of your ranged attacks.

Alternative to this is /ninjutsu. You get a 'sneak attack' mechanic. It's what I did for my sniper-blaster Sniper Joe.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

Going to cloud up the water a bit, because late game scrappers also get a snipe from Patron power pools.  Not sure if stalkers do, but i'm sure someone will answer before I can check one of mine to see.

I was going to mention scrappers but SOMEBODY beat me to it. You'll need the Ghost Widow Patron powers, and she offers a very powerful def buff as well.

@Etched

26 minutes ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

Going to cloud up the water a bit, because late game scrappers also get a snipe from Patron power pools.  Not sure if stalkers do, but i'm sure someone will answer before I can check one of mine to see.

Yes, stalkers as well. They share epic sets with scrappers.

18 minutes ago, Etched said:

You'll need the Ghost Widow Patron powers

There's also a snipe in Mu Mastery.

• Thumbs Up 1

The AT and Powerset combo with the largest range in the game would be bar none a Psi/Energy Blaster. Psi blasts already get extra range over most other blast ranges, and pairing that with /em you'll get boost range. When fully built you'll be hitting things at the maximum targeting range.

There's absolutely no other type of character that can achieve the same range as a psi/em blaster.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CJStevens17 said:

Or is there just enhancements that are sniper items

There are no real items unless you count the P2W powers from the P2W vendor, but none of those are snipes.

You can use ranged enhancements on most ranged powers, but it is really better to go for +range from IO set bonuses in both the ranged attack and snipe sets.

if so what character would be best?

If you are going for range and high hitting power then you want to go with a blaster.

Of course, Assault rifle as close as you can get to a sniper's rifle in City of Heroes. (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Assault_Rifle#Sniper_Rifle)

if so, how to I make one?

I would go with Assault rifle and devices or ninja training. Both have a stealth power.

Ninja training's stealth power actually gives you a bonus to damage first attack coming out of being invisible, and that should be your sniper shot/snipe to maximize damage. (Shinobi - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Ninja_Training#Shinobi)

Devices (instead of Ninja Training) gives you caltrops that you can throw down to slow down enemies so you can pick them off and can get a targeting drone and smoke grenades in devices as well. And Field Operative (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Devices#Field_Operative) is great to make sure you don't run out of endurance if you slot a couple of End Mods and Performance Shifter: Chance for + End proc in it (as well as in Stamina after 3 slotting it with end mods)

I have a Punisher-Tribute character that is Assault Rifle/Devices and that works well for me.

For me, I like to make sure I hit and, even if an attack power doesn't need it, I put 2 acc or 2 acc worth of accuracy bonus (from set IOs and their bonuses).

There are some IO set bonuses that will buff the damage of all your attacks as well.

There are diminishing returns after putting 3 of any one kind of enhancement into a power, but I try to put 2 or 3 damage enhances into my snipe power on any character I make with a snipe.

That should be a good start at least.

have fun.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The AT and Powerset combo with the largest range in the game would be bar none a Psi/Energy Blaster. Psi blasts already get extra range over most other blast ranges, and pairing that with /em you'll get boost range. When fully built you'll be hitting things at the maximum targeting range.

There's absolutely no other type of character that can achieve the same range as a psi/em blaster.

If only psi did not have s point blank nuke…..

beam rifle, assault rifle, earth blast, electric blast and ice blast have ranged “nukes”.  Although ice has no snipe and the nuke is odd too

Edited by Snarky

I like my sniper rifle / traps blaster. Pop some red inspirations and pick up the kill x  of this type of villain in a given zone.  Good sometimes for pulling one  from a large group too. 

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

18 hours ago, StrikerFox said:

Assault Rifle/Energy Manipulation Blaster. Build for +range and toss in perma-Boost Range. In the BAF, I was able to snipe Nightstar at her spawnpoint while standing at the edge of the tennis court. 

OP: I don't understand the jargon

StrikerFox: Hold my beer... 🤣

@CJStevens17 - can you describe what you mean by sniper? What sort of playstyle, or how you imagine the character concept? If you can relate it to a movie or cartoon character, that'll help a lot for narrowing down suggestions.

• Haha 2

I think <most> patron powers and APPs have a snipe.

I'm a little ambiguous about what you're meaning in snipe for the purposes of this post. There are not really any ATs that operate at range with precision, for their major powers. Even blasters and other "ranged" ATs have a significant melee/close quarters combat element.

That said, as has already been expressed, many power sets have at least one set with a very long range precision shot. But even the gun sets only have one. So not really a snipe.

Approaching your question from a different angle (feel free to correct me if I'm doing it wrong) it could be that you want to play some kind of military guy with a BFG - Possibly a character inspired by a one Mr F Castle perhaps, or even Wesley from Wanted?

If that is the kind of vibe you seek, I'd suggest that the rifles in the game are a tad underwhelming, both beam and assault and may lead to disappointment.

However all is not lost. A Soldier of Arachnos VEAT that follows his beginning path to lvl 50 (if you're unaware you're guided and advised to choose a divergent pathway in your early 20s from memory) can be an excellent "bloke with a BFG" - and frankly if you want to walk into a room and deliver a sea of orange numerals consistently that is a very fine way to go. It does give a feel that it was inspired by Samuel L Jackson's AK47 speech in Jackie Brown (an otherwise largely forgettable movie IMO.) I shall refrain from posting the transcripted words here because when I was a kid my granny would kick my arse for using bad language but I'm sure you can find a reference on Youtube or similar if you absolutely, positively, need to.

That does also give you some decent long range attacks which you can enhance with Patron pools to give him/her your own flavour.

Have fun experimenting

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I'm a little ambiguous about what you're meaning in snipe for the purposes of this post. There are not really any ATs that operate at range with precision, for their major powers. Even blasters and other "ranged" ATs have a significant melee/close quarters combat element.

Well you are mostly right.  Until you are flat out wrong.  

I have an Elec Temporal and Beam Temp Blasters that operate only at range.  An AR is fully ranged.  As is water and earth.  Ice is fully ranged.  

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

Well you are mostly right.  Until you are flat out wrong.  

I have an Elec Temporal and Beam Temp Blasters that operate only at range.  An AR is fully ranged.  As is water and earth.  Ice is fully ranged.  

agreed. my mind/fire dom has every single power at range (apart from incinerate which sometimes gets used)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dangeraaron10 said:

Your best bet for a literal Sniper is an Assault Rifle Blaster using the range DPS enhancing powers of Energy Manipulation as your secondary powerset.

Which I sometimes refer to as the "See that dot?" combination, as my AR/EM Blaster can actually snipe targets that are a bit outside visual range. Back on Live, before MSRs got popular enough that you could trivially get a full league and hit the render limit with just the mobs in the middle of the bowl, she would pull mobs off the rim with Full Auto while standing in the middle of the bowl.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

There are not really any ATs that operate at range with precision, for their major powers. Even blasters and other "ranged" ATs have a significant melee/close quarters combat element.

They have melee/close quarters powers, yes.  You are not however required to either take them, or use them...  Hoverblasters have been a thing as far back as the OG days.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

They have melee/close quarters powers, yes.  You are not however required to either take them, or use them...  Hoverblasters have been a thing as far back as the OG days.

That kind of goes without saying. You can play any toon and not play any of their main powers. It's why people have petless MMs.

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.