The AH bugs out and charges me fees that I never agreed to

tanglin

I did not agree to this transaction.

This has happened twice in two days. I'd list something. It tells me I'll be charged X amount, and when I agree, it does 2 things:

1. It charges me 10 times as much,

2. The item listed is not the one I agreed to.

In the example I'm giving in the picture, the AH lists 10 x Ancient Bone for an exorbitant amount and charges me 1,875,000 for it.

Edited by tanglin

Were the 10x Ancient Bone stored in the AH on the 'Stored' tab when you were trying to post the IO for sale?

If so, then your bug sounds identical to a bug I encountered a while back and posted about in this thread.

My solution (and I posted a PSA about it at the time) is to remove everything from your 'Stored' tab when listing items on the AH. I am diligent about this and have not had the bug recur since. Once you are finished listing, return the stored items back to the AH.

12 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Were the 10x Ancient Bone stored in the AH on the 'Stored' tab when you were trying to post the IO for sale?

If so, then your bug sounds identical to a bug I encountered a while back and posted about in this thread.

My solution (and I posted a PSA about it at the time) is to remove everything from your 'Stored' tab when listing items on the AH. I am diligent about this and have not had the bug recur since. Once you are finished listing, return the stored items back to the AH.

The first time it happened, yes, 10 Ancient Bones were in the Stored tab. But the second time it happened, they weren't. So, the bug could be one that retrieved some memory somewhere. 

I don't intend to keep having millions taken away by the AH, so I'm not touching the game any more until this is sorted out.

2 hours ago, tanglin said:

The first time it happened, yes, 10 Ancient Bones were in the Stored tab. But the second time it happened, they weren't. So, the bug could be one that retrieved some memory somewhere. 

I don't intend to keep having millions taken away by the AH, so I'm not touching the game any more until this is sorted out.

I do a huge about of AE trading.

I have never seen what you say has occurred happen.

I have accidentally posted something for the wrong price. Far too many times than I would like to to admit to.

I can promise you that it was user error.

We all make mistakes. 

Try to be more cautious next time.

It's easy to misclick when you are tired or rushing.

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

30 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I do a huge about of AE trading.

I have never seen what you say has occurred happen.

I have accidentally posted something for the wrong price. Far too many times than I would like to to admit to.

I can promise you that it was user error.

We all make mistakes. 

Try to be more cautious next time.

It's easy to misclick when you are tired or rushing.

No, I'm very sure I was careful. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

So, it seems that this bug has happened before, more than 3 years ago. 

And clearly, no one is interested in fixing it. I'm not going to expect this bug to be fixed, and I have no interest in playing a game where bugs remain unfixed for this long.

56 minutes ago, tanglin said:

And clearly, no one is interested in fixing it. I'm not going to expect this bug to be fixed, and I have no interest in playing a game where bugs remain unfixed for this long.

I don't know what game that you will be playing then. 

I don't think I have ever played a computer game that didn't have bugs in it.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

42 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I don't know what game that you will be playing then. 

I don't think I have ever played a computer game that didn't have bugs in it.

Plenty of games where bugs don't remain ignored for more than 3 years.

20 minutes ago, tanglin said:

your best bet at traction here is, beyond reporting the nature of what you saw, and 'I'm sure it happened' would be to try to recreate the issue -- to see if it is repeatable, that you can generate an error state with a transaction.

then, note the time it happened. its not too bad without, as the devs can see game telemetry associated with your player ID, but it helps lessen log-look, and raises likeliehood of someone examing your claim.

theres lots of ghosts in the machines.  maybe theres an inf thiefing one. 

you are CERTAIN you didnt bid 11,111 on something you meant to bid 1,111 on - right, kupo?

2 minutes ago, honoroit said:

your best bet at traction here is, beyond reporting the nature of what you saw, and 'I'm sure it happened' would be to try to recreate the issue -- to see if it is repeatable, that you can generate an error state with a transaction.

then, note the time it happened. its not too bad without, as the devs can see game telemetry associated with your player ID, but it helps lessen log-look, and raises likeliehood of someone examing your claim.

theres lots of ghosts in the machines.  maybe theres an inf thiefing one. 

you are CERTAIN you didnt bid 11,111 on something you meant to bid 1,111 on - right, kupo?

Blaming the user is probably Helpdesk 101, but yes, I'm very sure I saw the warning about how much I'd be charged for the transaction, only to see the amount I was actually charged was 10 times as much. 

But as I said, I'm done with the game. I have more games than I have time to play. So, fix it, or don't, I don't care.

I get that everyone wants to chime in. Everyone but the developers, that is. But I really don't care if it get fixed. The bug's been around for 3 years at least, so why not another 3? 

I won't be checking back to this thread.

• Thumbs Down 2

And clearly, no one is interested in fixing it.

It's a rare bug that's been almost entirely overlooked by the people who experienced it, to such a degree that fewer than five people have bothered to report it, and the HC team isn't a full development studio with unlimited resources, so they have to focus on the problems which affect the most people and threaten game stability.  They're not ignoring outstanding issues, and you accusing them of such is unwarranted.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Similar conversations going on on the bug forum. I suggest you move the conversation over there.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

Tell me that you've never played another MMORPG without telling me that you've never played another MMORPG.  Every MMORPG has bugs that have been in the game since launch, even those that are 10+ years old.

• Thanks 1

OP is rude, presumptive, aggro, and mean spirited in this coversation.

'probably help desk 101' - you maintain and write for a game that's on ancient codebase ported forward, and dig for bugs that don't affect the play experience in an impactful way, reported by people who demand satisfaction.

do that for no pay.

4 hours ago, tanglin said:

Blaming the user is probably Helpdesk 101

fluff, I wouldn't want to have to deal with your ass at work.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tanglin said:

well, have fun.

That's why most of us play games.

If Homecoming isn't fun for you, find a game that is.

I quit subscribing and playing City of Heroes almost exactly a year before it shut down because the changes to the game weren't fun for me any more.

You have drawn the line, so don't sit on the fence.

Find something that's fun for you to do.

There is probably just not enough data yet to act. While the problem seems quiet direct  -- in the code it is probably a hot mess for a volunteer to work on and piece together in their spare time.   All that can be done for now is to patiently provide further examples in context with dates/times/screenshots/log files and anything else a volunteer Dev could use to diagnose and develop a plan to fix.    It would not surprise me this sort of bug has lurked since the AH was launched.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up.