Returning player experience; and just saying Hi

FFFF

Hi Denizens of the New Forums,

I'm a player who started day 1 back in 2004. I think I played until the introduction of the Incarnate system. Real life caught up in a hurry, with the birth of our kiddo and a career reboot. Anyways, this game still slaps!

Been here for about 3 weeks or so. Built a bug-themed Psi/Rad Brute (bug named "Pshoo"), probably the worst farming character ever (a Titan Weapons/Fire brute), and an all-natural MAN build (if some of you remember the old school, no travel power, no supernatural powers type of characters).

Some impressions.

• The game is super easy. I remember reading that they made the fitness pool inherent, and boy does that throw off your build. You can actually have a full attack chain before your teens. I think you can experiment a lot more and gimp yourself less. I used to host Terra Volta trials for really gimped characters back in the day so this is a good change.
  • Really enjoy female Skulls and Hellions, equal opportunity evil; and the new boss types. No idea when those were introduced but they weren't there when I played.
  • Excelsior is rather busy, enough so that Atlas Park actually lags a bit. I play on a pretty underpowered computer, and so when about 20+ characters gather around Ms. Liberty powers going off, it's noticeable. I don't mention this as a bad thing; just surprised at the activity.
  • I tried to donate, waited a day and they already collected enough for May. Nice!
  • Don't make a female character wearing a leotard and pick staff fighting as a primary. I had no idea my character would flash the room as soon as you activate Eye of the Storm. I promptly gave her a costume wearing pants.

Anyways, just wanted to drop a word and say hi. Oh, and here's my character, with pants. Oh, and what percentage of lurkers here are old players? Any new-to-COH folks lurk here?

screenshot_230509-16-01-14.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, FFFF said:

Hi Denizens of the New Forums,

I'm a player who started day 1 back in 2004. I think I played until the introduction of the Incarnate system. Real life caught up in a hurry, with the birth of our kiddo and a career reboot. Anyways, this game still slaps!

Been here for about 3 weeks or so. Built a bug-themed Psi/Rad Brute (bug named "Pshoo"), probably the worst farming character ever (a Titan Weapons/Fire brute), and an all-natural MAN build (if some of you remember the old school, no travel power, no supernatural powers type of characters).

Some impressions.

• The game is super easy. I remember reading that they made the fitness pool inherent, and boy does that throw off your build. You can actually have a full attack chain before your teens. I think you can experiment a lot more and gimp yourself less. I used to host Terra Volta trials for really gimped characters back in the day so this is a good change.
  • Really enjoy female Skulls and Hellions, equal opportunity evil; and the new boss types. No idea when those were introduced but they weren't there when I played.
  • Excelsior is rather busy, enough so that Atlas Park actually lags a bit. I play on a pretty underpowered computer, and so when about 20+ characters gather around Ms. Liberty powers going off, it's noticeable. I don't mention this as a bad thing; just surprised at the activity.
  • I tried to donate, waited a day and they already collected enough for May. Nice!
  • Don't make a female character wearing a leotard and pick staff fighting as a primary. I had no idea my character would flash the room as soon as you activate Eye of the Storm. I promptly gave her a costume wearing pants.

Anyways, just wanted to drop a word and say hi. Oh, and here's my character, with pants. Oh, and what percentage of lurkers here are old players? Any new-to-COH folks lurk here?

screenshot_230509-16-01-14.jpg

Welcome to the community! Lots has changed since the game sunset, but the Homecoming team has kept the light on their server and I'm happy with it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Welcome back!  If you're finding that you're lagging, try changing the option to always show player names to only showing them when selected or on mouse-over - the GUI can impose a hefty penalty on performance.  Also slightly reduce your draw distance under the graphics options, and lower particles.  Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Glad to have you on Homecoming!  Yes, the game is easy at lower levels.  Especially on a Brute.  But there are many "challenge" types of things AT/Powerset wise.  Then there is the deep end hard mode stuff at end game.  First you will probably encounter teams running +4 content.  then maybe try your hand at a 2star or more Task Force.  Deep end indeed.  Say hello to the Titannic while sightseeing!

• Like 1

Grats on your new level. Hope to see you in game.

Edited by Arc-Mage
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

7 hours ago, FFFF said:

Been here for about 3 weeks or so.

Welcome home!

Hit up Yomo for some loot! ... if you haven't already.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Glad to have you on Homecoming!  Yes, the game is easy at lower levels.  Especially on a Brute.  But there are many "challenge" types of things AT/Powerset wise.  Then there is the deep end hard mode stuff at end game.  First you will probably encounter teams running +4 content.  then maybe try your hand at a 2star or more Task Force.  Deep end indeed.  Say hello to the Titannic while sightseeing!

Oh I had several 50s / Incarnates during live. And most were heavily enhanced - soft capped defenses, res cap, high recharge, high regen, all that jazz. Though I think most of the lurkers here can say the same. I'm very familiar with the old power sets, just nothing that was introduced post issue 19-20 or so. So Staff Fighting, Water Blast, Rad Armor, the new MM sets, etc. no experience. It's what makes this time around so fun. It's fun to be ignorant again.

• Like 1

Welcome home!

There's lots to see and do on the new forum but word to the wise, avoid anyone who's even remotely snarky 🤣

The game is very different from live as you've correctly surmised and significantly easier but there are ways to make it tougher if you wish to.

My own opinion is that in many ways this game is now about as good as it's ever going to be. Given the crap that the live devs served up in the Incarnate story line in many ways I'm glad it got taken away from them (I must distinguish here between story and content - some of which is outstanding despite the awful basis on which it is predicated) and at least we won't have to cope with Positron's vision of the Battalion (whatever that may have been)

There is a ton of content at all levels and new content is being added periodically so there is plenty to do and see. Enjoy it... all of it!

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Welcome home! Did you get your gift basket from the Pay 2 Win lady?

(It... it's not actually a basket, but you can get some free prestige powers that will help in the lower levels. There's also abilities and buffs that can be bought with inf. She's the lady in the black suit just North West of Ms. Liberty)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, EmperorSteele said:

(It... it's not actually a basket, but you can get some free prestige powers that will help in the lower levels. There's also abilities and buffs that can be bought with inf. She's the lady in the black suit just North West of Ms. Liberty)

Two words; Bran muffins.  Avoid the Bran Muffins.  If there is any tip I can pass that will be the most useful to you is this.  It is a grand deception that they are good for you.  Likely a Nemesis plot  vast scope.  They hurt going in and hurt going out.  They are evil muffins of pain.  They put them in the gift basket hidden among such tasty things like Blackwands and Sands of Mu and Bucknards Everfull Box of Inspirations, waiting; patiently waiting to hurt you with their . . . Bran.

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

5 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Two words; Bran muffins.  Avoid the Bran Muffins.  If there is any tip I can pass that will be the most useful to you is this.  It is a grand deception that they are good for you.  Likely a Nemesis plot  vast scope.  They hurt going in and hurt going out.  They are evil muffins of pain.  They put them in the gift basket hidden among such tasty things like Blackwands and Sands of Mu and Bucknards Everfull Box of Inspirations, waiting; patiently waiting to hurt you with their . . . Bran.

Next toon=Bran Stoker.

• Haha 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

Next toon=Bran Stoker.

This truly is a City of Villains.

• Haha 4

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Ohai new friend you bring teh donuts?

• Haha 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

13 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

I'd add that if you choose to start a character in one of the training zones (Outbreak, Breakout, Galaxy City) You'll find the P2W vendors there as well.  In Outbreak, she's right there by the starting parking lot.  In Galaxy City training zone (you did hear Galaxy City was destroyed, yes? There's a bottled city copy saved in the back of Oroboros, if you wish to get the exploration badges, or just want to reminisce), the P2W vendor stands next to the robot trainer about halfway through the scenario.   I don't recall where P2W is in the redside Breakout training zone.  Come to think of it, there's probably P2W's with Gold Side, but so few of us run that gauntlet, that I don't even recall.

8 hours ago, catsi563 said:

Ohai new friend you bring teh donuts?

Make certain @High_Beam gets the bran ones. With sprinkles.

15 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Welcome home!

There's lots to see and do on the new forum but word to the wise, avoid anyone who's even remotely snarky 🤣

Oh, come now.  Just because he's not of a sanguine humor, doesn't mean avoid him. 

Unless you're a new recruit and jumping on a task force.  In which case, take Shocker's advice.  😉

And welcome Home FFF  (uh one,,,two,,,three...) F! 

• Thumbs Up 1