i want quad expee

honoroit

I've long been a champion of insta-50... on an isolated server. No crossovers.

But nobody, Zathras, listen, etc.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

they added it for pvp, didnt they. never tried, as i think your stuck in the pvp zones only.

what we need is forced flag pvp in atlas park, well everywhere. but it auto-exemps you to a level range.

just like eq2 did.

then we can fend off gank squads of stalkers and doms.  which, tbh, would be most exciting!

at least in the HAZARD zones, no?

• Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

all zones turn into PvP at random times without warning*

fixed that for you 

why do you all seem dislike pvp, kupo?!

waistrels! blue side wilting violet pve waistrels!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i’m being sincere, lets have an anarchy month

horray!

also, you should be able to loot them... or level them DOWN. (thatd cause riots, theyd have to go kill council on loop to recover 😉)

mad gang attacks if you like pve also. basically lvl 54 hellions, purple nice like frostfire mission played out right. same places - like AP and hellscape'd perez, or make them con(sider) even hard like jack-skellingtons helpers in croatoa do.

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, honoroit said:

also, you should be able to loot them... or level them DOWN. (thatd cause riots, theyd have to go kill council on loop to recover 😉)

what about a pvp zone where if you die your character is automatically deleted

• Like 1

It's the participation trophies.  I knew this is what was going to happen.  And now here we are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

4 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

all zones turn into PvP at random times without warning*

fixed that for you 

Nah.  Reminds me too much of Aion rifting.

Been there.

Done that.

Got really sick of ass-hats who thought it was "cute" to camp the lowbie mission contacts with their twinks.

(Now, if I could have my Templar and Sorcerer over here to beat the snot out of those random "pop-up PvPers" like we did the rifters back-in-the-day? That might be a different thing.  Sorcerer/Blaster duel in the middle of the Maduri Village (or Perez Park-), anyone? And yeah... I just want to see what my Templar would do to a City Brute. Aside from shield-bashing it in the face. 😝 )

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, honoroit said:

why do you all seem dislike pvp, kupo?!

I think the dislike is that PvP was shoehorned into CoX for all the wrong reasons, fairly limited (but screechingly vocal) player demand, and too much "balancing" and so forth was expended, some of it crippling the primary PvE game.

PvP's a lot of fun... in a PvP game. Not so much in a game designed and built for PvE.

• Like 3

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 6/2/2023 at 12:05 PM, Shenanigunner said:

I think the dislike is that PvP was shoehorned into CoX for all the wrong reasons, fairly limited (but screechingly vocal) player demand, and too much "balancing" and so forth was expended, some of it crippling the primary PvE game.

PvP's a lot of fun... in a PvP game. Not so much in a game designed and built for PvE.

Uhhh.... they were working on figuring out how to do PVP very early on. It didn't get *implemented* for a few issues after (the Arena opening,) but it was being talked about well before that - so I wouldn't call it being "shoehorned" in.

Now, the implementation being good or bad is another thing entirely. (And *which* implementation.) I was pretty much of the mindset that "PVP Balance" in COH had to equal "Bring a team," and honestly that worked out fairly well when it did happen, even in the chaos that could be the zones (while they had people.)

(See an early mention of Arenas being planned at E3 2002 here, for instance.)

City of Heroes is a co-op game. The developers will not allow players to become super villains or to participate in player versus player combat during normal gameplay. For players who enjoy this type of play, it is planned for the game to feature arenas where Cryptic Studios will run probably tournaments that allow players to gain prestige and prizes.

Based on the short demo, the game seemed to be quite combat-oriented, which fits well with the superhero theme, and with over forty skills available plus a huge world to explore, it looks like players will be in for a lot of fun. Anyone who likes superhero comics is a good candidate to become a player, and for those used to fantasy- and science fiction-based online worlds, City of Heroes appears set to offer a new and different experience. We'll be watching this one closely here at RPG Vault. Beta is expected to begin this fall with release sometime next year.

(Or - follow the link, Oct 2002 interview with Jack)

Jonric: What stance have you taken on player versus player combat, and what major considerations led to this choice?

Jack Emmert:
At the very least, we believe that we need a venue for PvP. There is a hard core group of players out there who love the challenge of facing another "real life" opponent. However, we didn't want unlimited player killing in the city. First of all, this game is City of Heroes, so that wouldn't exactly be in the line with the tone we're trying to set. Secondly, there are a lot of players who don't want to be killed by other players. So we designed an Arena combat system, where players can challenge and battle against other player heroes. We'll keep an intricate ranking system.

(Yeah, A FEW changes since that 'til game release... 😄  Also there are more archived dev diaries there, which are just kind of interesting reading.)

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Wanting to do something on a conceptual level can differ widely from designing a system to be appropriate for that goal. I think "shoehorned" is a reasonable statement to make about CoH PVP. The amount of hacking they had to do after the fact speaks to that. The very quote of that interview here suggests it was indeed more about trend chasing and perception than deep design ("we believe we need a venue for it, there's players who want that" != "this is our vision").

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/2/2023 at 6:05 PM, Shenanigunner said:

base raids used to be a ton of fun though. i was fortunate to be part of an active base raiding SG back on live

edit: and pre-IO sirens call. man that place would be heaving, people would make alts just for the zone

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:37 AM, honoroit said:

well thats just not fair... we should get quad xp.

thoughts?

(also, srs, this should be a thing on redside if you stay, with the loyalty power. or active if you stay red... i dunno, more redside)

No you don't. You just want to feel like you're doing "better" than anyone else in the game. You just want to feel more special than you really are.

The race to 50 is crippling this game in so many ways but it's so tempting to do it anyhow. Better if XP was halved universally and then we maybe get regular XP weekends sometimes.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

34 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

No you don't. You just want to feel like you're doing "better" than anyone else in the game. You just want to feel more special than you really are.

The race to 50 is crippling this game in so many ways but it's so tempting to do it anyhow. Better if XP was halved universally and then we maybe get regular XP weekends sometimes.

sigh... its because thunderspy had/has a triple xp event on.... do leave me alone.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1