If you had to play 1 MM, what would it be?

Xandyr

If you had to play 1 MM for the rest of your time in CoX, which would it be? And why?

It'd be a hard toss up for me between Necro/FF

Mercs/Pain

My Necro/FF just feels strong. Capped defenses, solid resists, good damage.

Mercs/Pain...I've always loved Mercs, even before the revamps. Ans her background/bio is icing on the cake.

What about you?

-x

Tough call. The first character I made on HC when I discovered it back in 2019 was my old Thug/Dark from live. It'd likely be that, or the new Necro/Dark.

I've always wanted to try Mercs, just because I love the idea of having purely ranged pets (and my own personal Rambo)... but I've never had a great character concept to work with it. They look like so much fun now though!

8 minutes ago, farsinger said:

Tough call. The first character I made on HC when I discovered it back in 2019 was my old Thug/Dark from live. It'd likely be that, or the new Necro/Dark.

I've always wanted to try Mercs, just because I love the idea of having purely ranged pets (and my own personal Rambo)... but I've never had a great character concept to work with it. They look like so much fun now though!

My Mercs /Pain is Major Bea Yatch. Here's her bio:

Bea was always made fun of her entire life for her name. One day her senior year, the popular girls were picking on her, and she snapped. The pain that she had hid over the years manifested, and she laid into the posse. Those 3 girls never knew what hit them. As they ran away, screaming and crying, Bea felt accomplished. Shortly thereafter, she joined the military. She wanted to acheive the rank of "Major" because she figured she might as well live up to her name. She volunteered for every high risk secretive mission, and constantly stayed deployed. There was just a soothing calm she felt while on the battlefield...the one place where she could truly live up to her name and let her pain go. Now, since all these "heroes/villains" have come out of the woodwork, Bea decided to return Home to Paragon City and unleash her pain. And perhaps maybe she'll run across those 3 stuck up snobby tramps from school. Bea's military commando unit would love to chat with them, and so would Bea.

So. Would. Bea.

Anyway, you could always say that you are a member of a secretive government agency and was in charge of testing new prototypes for the military. That could give you the "reason" behind most of any Secondary powersets. 

And yes, Mercs is SO much better these days. They stay with you (ranged), and seem to have better AI. Their powers were revamped a bit, and it helped out A LOT. 

I'll have to go with Bot/traps. The Synergy between the sets is so nice, and its really easy to soft cap both yourself and the pets. With the new maintenance drone, it got exactly what it needed with another spot heal.

I've yet to run across any AV I can't solo, and I can handle most of the GMs with ease.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:42 AM, Xandyr said:

What about you?

Robot/Electric

Ninja/Electric

Because I'm a character conception player, I would go with with the Robot/Electric because there just isn't that great of an excuse for electric and ninjas, but I've found that electric just goes too well with tankerminding (or whatever they call keeping minions in defensive mode all the time). I've been into the symbiotic relationship between humanity and technology (The Machine) for a long time.

And besides, I don't even think I have a Ninja/electric. Better character conceptions to think of for a Ninja mastermind.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Thugs/Dark.  Just because THUGSRUS is such a hoot to play.  Necro/Dark as close second.

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Necro/Dark

Necro pets are kind of dumb and anti-climatic, the 1st are semi-weak while the 2nd tier are decent damage and the 3rd is a half clone of Dark Servant.  All are slow to get to target and it feels like their abilities don't mesh across all of them.  If I could trade them, I would take the 2nd tier from level 1 if they were available over the other 4 idiots.  2nd tier are like scrappers.

what makes it shine, is the summon ability which makes a pet based on how many other pets are still alive.  Fast enough recharge, they are back almost every 32 seconds.  Range attacks mostly and pretty decent damage but short range; basically anything within about 60 range will trigger them.

Coupled with the dark attacks, you get 5 zombies, a lich, 7 ghosts, and 3 spirits plus the Dark Servant.

Using custom binds, I keep most of the minions on a leash and summon the wraiths for damage.  Have binds that seek all, guard all, and guard 1st tier or attack 1st tier, I use those 3 as a bodyguard absorber while the other stuff go to town, release them after the chaos starts.

All the pets survive as long as the battle isn't prolonged, or a lot of AoE.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

My Bots/EA and Demons/Nature are my favorites. Both sets are lackluster (IMO) on other ATs but really shine on MMs where you don't have to choose between blasting and supporting. They're also both incredibly sturdy even at low levels which suits my playstyle. 

Mercs/Storm. It was my favorite even before the changes. Close second would be Thugs/Storm with perma Gang War (Long GW recharge, it will fall to third). Third is Necro/Dark. All my other MMs pale in comparison. Bots/Traps, Demons/Thermal and Beast/TA. Still haven't gotten a Ninja pairing that I like to 50.

56 minutes ago, StrikerFox said:

Mercs/Storm. It was my favorite even before the changes. Close second would be Thugs/Storm with perma Gang War (Long GW recharge, it will fall to third). Third is Necro/Dark. All my other MMs pale in comparison. Bots/Traps, Demons/Thermal and Beast/TA. Still haven't gotten a Ninja pairing that I like to 50.

On a whim, I made a Ninja/Sonic, mainly because I wanted a /Sonic toon. With the changes, it's actually not bad. The ninjas have high defense and with /Sonic, good resistances backing it up. Plus it seems like the Heal themselves a lot better/more often now than pre-change. Might wanna give it a shot! (Or maybe paired with Thermal or Nature).

I have a mercs/storm that I haven't touched in well over a year (or longer). I may need to revisit it since it's your #1.

• Thanks 1

Simply stated, my Mercs/Traps MM, the Munitions Mistress.

She was the only MM I played on live and the only villain I ran to 50 and ran the same on Homecoming.  I have 7 books worth of story written on her exploits and evolution.  On Homecoming I have a 50 Demon/Dark, and a 45 Necro/Time and rolled a Thugs . . . something till I deleted her at 38, but with MM as my MM I have fun, even before they improved Mercs, now just more fun.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 7/24/2023 at 11:22 AM, Xandyr said:

I have a mercs/storm that I haven't touched in well over a year (or longer). I may need to revisit it since it's your #1.

It's just that Storm is a lot of fun to play. The more I think about it, being paired with Mercs has almost nothing to do with why it's my favorite.

I really like the improvements they made to necromancy, so that's my primary of choice.  The tougher decision would be which secondary to go with.  I very much like kinetics, but I also find its reliance on enemies to be burdensome.  In the same vain, while elec affinity is great, its chaining mechanic also adds a layer of complexity that may not be to everyone's liking.  Pain domination has some great healing and buffs, benefits you as well, and world of pain can just about be made permanent.  I don't have any significant experience with thermal radiation, but it appears to have a great balance of resists, (which necromancy pets already have), and heals, but lacks world of pain's ability to buff yourself...

Thugs/Traps was my first 50 on Live.  It's just a complete team and the debuffs you bring are great for long fights.

Mercs/Nature and Demons/EA are tied for my tankiest team.  Between the resistances and heals, both stay up far longer than they should.  Ninja/Storm is just pure Chaos fun.

But if I only had to play one out of the 50 or so I have.

Thug/Traps all the way.

My current main ATM is a Mercs/Traps, more than a little inspired by a certain raspy-voiced cartoon villain. Its a lot of fun as a "solo team" build, with the group support stuff from Traps and a dip in Leadership, and my grunts can practically clear rooms for me.

I've been considering a Thugs/Traps build as well, but I've never been able to settle on a bigger character concept than "gang leader" and whatever I slap together feels too generic

Bots/Traps or Bots/FF is the only other one I've been toying with, got this idea for, like, a "Good Skynet" that I think would be fun, but I've never gotten too far with it.

Its probably obvious I like the more tech-y themes and powers lol