Bigotry and Racism

mechahamham

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Guys. There are actual panda toons in the game. It is not a dog whistle for an ethnicity. Grow up.

but it is, when you start linking pejoratives with a placeholder word, and not a clever one either - where do 'pandas' come from?  why would you want to harm them and har har about it in public chat? why would you just use the word as a placeholder for other things?

to be racist, and enjoy non-culpability, more than likely.

it is not reasonable to want to 'round (em) up <pandas>, and burn them in a pit' -- its a placeholder to allow one to be awful.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, honoroit said:

If you've done the proper steps of reporting and blocking these offenders, then drop it.  You are making accusations you cannot prove.  Do you understand how damaging YOU are being by throwing around such accusations?  The more you speak on this topic, the more I think you are cry-bullying people...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, honoroit said:

but it is, when you start linking pejoratives with a placeholder word, and not a clever one either - where do 'pandas' come from?  why would you want to harm them and har har about it in public chat? why would you just use the word as a placeholder for other things?

it is not reasonable to want to 'round (em) up <pandas>, and burn them in a pit' -- its a placeholder to allow one to be awful.

The only racism I'm seeing here is the continued assistance that pandas must be Asians. Stop that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, biostem said:

If you've done the proper steps of reporting and blocking these offenders, then drop it.  You are making accusations you cannot prove.  Do you understand how damaging YOU are being by throwing around such accusations?  The more you speak on this topic, the more I think you are cry-bullying people...

is that not the duty of every community minded player?

why does this thread exist?  to call to a problem, consider it and give attention - and ideally provide discussion for admins to think upon - and fix it.

we should not have to endure another spike like seen, and dealt with promptly - nor should we have a pox upon public chat channels.

5 minutes ago, honoroit said:

is that not the duty of every community minded player?

Did you report and block?  If so, your "duty" has been fulfilled.

why does this thread exist?

To beat a dead horse.  See above.

to call to a problem, consider it and give attention - and ideally provide discussion for admins to think upon - and fix it.

But you've used it more as an apparent fainting couch "won't somebody think of the children" outlet for yourself.  Maybe to signal your virtue.  I don't know, but you've been told multiple times what the remedy is.

we should not have to endure another spike like seen, and dealt with promptly - nor should we have a pox upon public chat channels.

More pearl-clutching.  It's been dealt with.

Edited by biostem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

Seems to be working, to judge by the comments in this thread that amount to, "that whistle doesn't make any noise, you must be delusional."

As a famous individual who knew a thing or two about the human mind once said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

There are two possibilities when you don't hear a dog-whistle.  It's there and you're denying hearing it or... it's not there and those who claim to hear it are engaging in confirmation bias. 

Just because someone elsewhere has used that word as a racist dog-whistle doesn't mean that was the case here.  The simpler, and much more plausible explanation, has already been given: In a game where you can make panda toons and penguin toons, a silly word war developed over the two and it went viral in the chat channels.  I once had to mute General for a whole evening because people wouldn't stop making shark puns.  Seriously, it went on for HOURS.  This is a thing that happens there.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 7

its a quite common one. you don't need to look hard.  that's why they picked it.

Is it at all possible for someone to play a panda character which isn't an allusion to any race or ethnic group?  If so, how do you "know" that isn't the case?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

At this point, if there's anything the last couple of pages have shown I think is that we need an eyeroll icon option in the "likes".... 

I asked for that quite a while back, I'll just have to suffice with

1130833010_Iuhmyeah....gif.58e75ddbc6112f331780200465bbb4d7.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

50 minutes ago, biostem said:

Is it at all possible for someone to play a panda character which isn't an allusion to any race or ethnic group?  If so, how do you "know" that isn't the case?

I know it is, given the appearance of one by someone who doesn't  have a racist bone in their body. We see them occasionally (they're only in game once in a while) at the Cape show Thursday nights. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

No comments about the subject matter, but will say this thread has made me appreciate responders who use proper capitalization and employ clarity in their lengthy posts. 

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.