Hey yall i know everyone has been waiting for my ridiculous request.

Can we have a Mausoleum building placed in the game for our fallen players, foes and GM's alike?

even just their char names and years on plates would be fine

maybe in the zone where there are no foes?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

Not a bad idea, al;though I do like how they sprinkle the avatars around, like they're still here with us getting ready to run another TF...

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

While I'm not opposed to this idea, there's already an established tradition of placing Memorial NPCs to honor players that have passed on. IMO having their characters actually in-game as an eternal part of CoH feels like the better option. Like @Clave Dark 5 said, they're still there, getting ready for their own adventures.

• Like 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

I think there should be at least a museum of some kind, a bit like the one depicted in the MCU with Cap's WW2 adventures.  As for our lost players and so on?  Well, memorial NPCs are there for some.  I dunno.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

• Game Master

Memorial characters are limited to people who have made a massive impact on the game and the community.  The last one was Chris who everyone knew as Robotech Master who wrote dozens of guides that players still use today, and was a GM almost from day one until he died. He worked tirelessly for the players, often giving up time he would have spent doing other things and cancelling plans just to make sure a player was OK. That's the bar someone needs to reach to be given a memorial character in game. If you want to see his avatar it's in the Midnighter club browsing the shelves.

Any player who dies is mourned by the community and we are always happy to have vigils in somewhere like Ouroboros where it's out of the way but people can see and join if they wish. Many of the GM's have joined in holding a torch either on their player accounts or as GM's as a sign of respect, and have stepped in on the rare occasions someone has thought it funny to try to disrupt one.  Sadly that's as much as we can do in their memory.

Edited by GM Crumpet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Can we have a Mausoleum building placed in the game for our fallen players, foes and GM's alike?

We do have the no-fighting ice lake holiday zone where several of them hang out.  It's actually year-round, though apparently not many know that.  Not to stomp on the Mausoleum, per se, but I like the museum or current idea of placing avatars around the cities.  It gives an illusion of life, not a reminder of death.  I know if I'd ever merit up to getting memorialized when I take the last hit, I'd want my Major Ray Gunn hanging out somewhere near Talos' tram station, no doubt pitching his offbeat retro-future adventures to the amusement of others, rather than a plaque on the wall in some stone structure.

Now having said that, when the Grim Reaper finally stakes Snarky (hopefully centuries from now) a mausoleum does sound like the appropriate memorial.

20 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Not to stomp on the Mausoleum, per se, but I like the museum or current idea of placing avatars around the cities.  It gives an illusion of life, not a reminder of death.  I know if I'd ever merit up to getting memorialized when I take the last hit, I'd want my Major Ray Gunn hanging out somewhere near Talos' tram station, no doubt pitching his offbeat retro-future adventures to the amusement of others, rather than a plaque on the wall in some stone structure.

Agreed.  I would like there to be a museum of heroes/whatever COV side would be called (or Praet for that matter) that had statues/plaques to say Statesman or Psyche or Galaxy Girl, Dauntless, Night Fox, Atlas in there, with some local blurb.  Ideally some of the lesser known ones since the big ones have big statues and so on.  It seems odd that there isn't one.  (Then again, there's no damn fire stations either!)

Edited by Darmian
  • Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

On 8/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, Darmian said:

(Then again, there's no damn fire stations either!)

Hence the reason the Steel Canyon Fire Chief stands around and desperately blows his whistle for heroes to help out.  No station, no trucks (no staff for that matter!)

• Haha 1

Could the community come up with a In-Memoriam base for each server to commemorate fallen players?  This way, anyone who we've lost since shutdown could possibly have a place, too. More collaborative, succession plans possible (if someone gets sick, editors have an alt in the base SG so if something does happen edit rights descend), as well as sharing the responsibility so it's not always one person's burden. And the security is in the editing, as viewing the base isn't destructive.

• Like 2

Inactive account.

Would it be poor taste to have their characters as zombie mobs in Dark Astoria or somesuch? I mean... I'd love to be memorialised in such a way. Not that I'm worthy of it.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

Would it be poor taste to have their characters as zombie mobs in Dark Astoria or somesuch? I mean... I'd love to be memorialised in such a way. Not that I'm worthy of it.

omg a fallen heroes zone where inactive account chars are zombified????

untitled.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I may have suggested this myself or maybe just replied to a previous suggestion on this topic.  I even tried to make a super base mockup of a design until i found that im absolutely horrible at base building and gave up on that part of the idea.

I would be in support of a fallen heroes memorial but i realize now that upkeep of a changing list of players and avatars would be extremely time consuming.  A 1 time build with fallen NPC statues and a history marker that has a generic 'this is devoted to our fallen heroes' message could work so it doesnt need constant maintenance.  And in those rarer instances that a player is to be memorialized ingame,  their avatar could start in the memorial for those who wish to pay their respects before the avatar is moved to its permanent location in the city.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:07 PM, TheZag said:

I may have suggested this myself or maybe just replied to a previous suggestion on this topic.  I even tried to make a super base mockup of a design until i found that im absolutely horrible at base building and gave up on that part of the idea.

I would be in support of a fallen heroes memorial but i realize now that upkeep of a changing list of players and avatars would be extremely time consuming.  A 1 time build with fallen NPC statues and a history marker that has a generic 'this is devoted to our fallen heroes' message could work so it doesnt need constant maintenance.  And in those rarer instances that a player is to be memorialized ingame,  their avatar could start in the memorial for those who wish to pay their respects before the avatar is moved to its permanent location in the city.

It'd be something akin to a committee of people who have time to do it.  Nothing grandiose or bespoke is likely, as the more requirements each memorial has, the harder it is to ask someone new to pick up the slack.  KISS comes to mind. (Keep it simple, silly.) 

Needs change, of course, so bowing out from RL and bringing in new editors who have time to contribute would be a key part of it.  Otherwise it's just friends who do it once then stop and that isn't any different than today.

I recognize two faults in saying that: one, in the above sentence, the problem of an abandoned project leaves the memorial in limbo permanently if all the editors in the SG move on at once.  And two, I don't have time to do anything on a recurring basis myself.  Just an idea.

Inactive account.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:19 PM, GM Crumpet said:

Memorial characters are limited to people who have made a massive impact on the game and the community.  The last one was Chris who everyone knew as Robotech Master who wrote dozens of guides that players still use today, and was a GM almost from day one until he died. He worked tirelessly for the players, often giving up time he would have spent doing other things and cancelling plans just to make sure a player was OK. That's the bar someone needs to reach to be given a memorial character in game. If you want to see his avatar it's in the Midnighter club browsing the shelves.

Any player who dies is mourned by the community and we are always happy to have vigils in somewhere like Ouroboros where it's out of the way but people can see and join if they wish. Many of the GM's have joined in holding a torch either on their player accounts or as GM's as a sign of respect, and have stepped in on the rare occasions someone has thought it funny to try to disrupt one.  Sadly that's as much as we can do in their memory.

Yeah, I imagine it'd be rather tricky to do it for Every player and I imagine that this is something that's been done since the first player fell (whenever that may have been) on live.

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 2 weeks later
On 8/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

I honestly thought that this is what Echo Plaza was going to be used for.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Echo_Plaza

... beside the costume contests ....

Read through the posts.

My conclusion is https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Main_Page

Build it in the wiki. 

Here not only can images and text be posted, but there are also a discussion page where people can reminisce about the deeds of bygone days. 

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Do dead people want to be remembered as boring "stone" memorials?

Or would they rather be remembered as something alive, vibrant and fun? 

I know I'd prefer the latter.

Perhaps if someone who knew the person can make that decision, based on the person's personality? I know there are an awful lot of boring old farts still clinging on.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.