magic control

I've been attempting to make a Wizard character in COH but it's kind of frustrating because none of the power sets have the variety I'm looking for.

I of course take a variety of pool powers, like Sorcery, and concealment, but I'm still not able to make it work.

I would like a magic control power set that could be available as a primary to Controllers, Defenders and Dominators, and as a secondary to Corruptors, Blasters, and Sentinels.

It should include a fire blast, a lightning blast, a cold blast, a hold attack, and a confuse attack as well as a protective shield. 

Please consider this.

• Thumbs Up 2

That is alot of requested sets - control,  buff,  manipulation and armor.  A single set cant cover all those archtypes.  I would be down for some multi-elemental themed sets but we arent likely to see all of those powers in a single set unless some new sort of AT were added.

ok well what kind of mage?

Elemental?

Mental?

Enchanter?

Nature Manipulation?

based on your requests the closest thing would be an Illusion/time controller

You get some psychic attacks and holds

phantom army gives you elemental attacks

Time gives you the holds and defenses you desire 

while illusion gives you a confuse.

Dont expect great damage from a controller, their main focus is crowd control but they are FUN to play cause sometimes strategy is just as satisfying and SMASH! or pew pew pew.

No matter what you choose have fun and experiment. sometimes the weirdest builds are the most fun.

Stay safe out there 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

10 hours ago, The Mighty Paladin said:

II would like a magic control power set that could be available as a primary to Controllers, Defenders and Dominators, and as a secondary to Corruptors, Blasters, and Sentinels.

It should include a fire blast, a lightning blast, a cold blast, a hold attack, and a confuse attack as well as a protective shield.

I wouldn't call it "Magic control." Not unless you're tying it to an origin. What your description sounds like, though, could probably fall into an "Elemental control" (or assault) though - names inspire themes and usage ideas, after all, and "elemental" doesn't feel as restrictive.

Either that, or with the rather small list of powers you mention, perhaps an ancillary pool (since it can vary what's in it by the AT taking it - said pools don't tend to give Controllers another hold, for instance, but you could - say - have an Ice controller with fire and electric blasts and earth armor.)

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

13 hours ago, The Mighty Paladin said:

They're asking for a unicorn as costume parts, not as a powerset...

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

13 hours ago, The Mighty Paladin said:

A mixed elemental set has been requested before.  I think it could work.  There's already precedents for having a single target hold in a blast set, so that's not a problem.  The protective shield may be a bit harder to do.  Maybe, as a special effect or the set, attacking a target consecutively with 2 different elements could grant the user a small amount of absorption, or something similar.  Alternatively, have the aim power grant a lower damage and tohit buff, but a short duration def bonus as well... 

50 minutes ago, srmalloy said:
14 hours ago, The Mighty Paladin said:

They're asking for a unicorn as costume parts, not as a powerset...

Wrong thread maybe?

15 hours ago, The Mighty Paladin said:

I've been attempting to make a Wizard character in COH but it's kind of frustrating because none of the power sets have the variety I'm looking for.

I of course take a variety of pool powers, like Sorcery, and concealment, but I'm still not able to make it work.

I would like a magic control power set that could be available as a primary to Controllers, Defenders and Dominators, and as a secondary to Corruptors, Blasters, and Sentinels.

Please consider this.

Based on that mix, I would suggest trying an Elec/Fire/Cold Dom...
Another option would be a Elec/FF/Ice Troller, picking up Enflame from Sorcery if you wanted a more bubbly feel...

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

My goto for that sort of magical mischief is an ice/elec/fire blapper.  3 ranged holds, a melee hold, AoE denial (bonfire), slows, endurance drains, sleeps, stuns, and a self rez for when I get too careless.  Wish I had more Fire attacks to mix into my chain, but it works fairly well, theme-wise.

9 hours ago, Rudra said:

Wrong thread maybe?

No, it just sounds as if the OP is asking "Make me a powerset that lets me do everything exactly how I want it, because I can't enjoy it if I have to recolor powers and use my imagination", like a kid sitting on Santa's lap in a mall and asking for an endless litany of the toys they want. Or asking for a unicorn.

• Thumbs Down 2

25 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

No, it just sounds as if the OP is asking "Make me a powerset that lets me do everything exactly how I want it, because I can't enjoy it if I have to recolor powers and use my imagination", like a kid sitting on Santa's lap in a mall and asking for an endless litany of the toys they want. Or asking for a unicorn.

It’s the oldest rule on Wikipedia, and it does work: ASSUME GOOD WILL. 

What that means is that when someone makes a suggestion, assume that they do play the game, they enjoy it for the most part, and they want to help make it a better experience for everyone.  Keep those things in mind when you write a reply, or ask clarifying questions if a suggestion or parts of it are unclear to you.

So that's on you. I think OP just wants to make a mage and hasn't found a way yet to make that happen.

Personally I think it should be doable with what we have. I made a DnD Druid recently, with Necro/Nature MM. Someone else made a Circle of Spores Druid with that, which probably fits even better. I could have gone with Demons as well.

In any case, I've seen people use water attacks and turn them into oil attacks so what we need is more information.

@The Mighty Paladin What ruleset is your mage based on? Dungeons & Dragons 5e? Some series or movie universe? That would help with narrowing down options. You certainly have various blast attacks, telekinesis (Animate Object spell in DnD) and other powers that should work for a mage.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

dont be awful. @The Mighty Paladin talks about trying recolours in their 2nd post...

so, wizards, and control (though theyre enjoying corruptor):

1. symphony has a good mix and an echo pet.

1,a. ice has very distinct visuals, i.e. youll not be confused its ice, but does not recolor well.

2. sorcery pool does runic cast like animations.

3. you should be able to mix in another element on pretty much any AT with an epic power pool (pvl 35 plus, you need to unlick some of these via an epic patron pool mission chain)

sure youll manage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally agree with @srmalloy. There is everything the OP is askin for already within the game to build a wizard with the exception of a spooky robe and a pointy hat. I feel imagination is 75% of any game when you are attempting to make a certain type of character.  As @biostem has mentioned an Elemental set has been requested prolly multiple times and I can only assume the devs are givin it thought but until then a players imagination is goin to fill in that gap. Other posters have givin good options as to how best make a combo of powers to represent a wizard style toon. Really at this point it is totally on the Op to take the advise or leave it. Every toon i made took effort from me to see the toon for what it is. 

Honestly though, @Raikao, wiki didn't  corner that phrase it was generation's of good people who attempt to do good everyday of their lives and in part i would agree. You get more bees with honey then piss and vinegar.

However, if the OP is set on havin exactly what he/she/insert gender wants they are goin to be waitin. Maybe for a long time since there are thousands of other good suggestions already out there.

@Etched

Edited by Etched

4 hours ago, Etched said:

I personally agree with @srmalloy. There is everything the OP is askin for already within the game to build a wizard with the exception of a spooky robe and a pointy hat. I feel imagination is 75% of any game when you are attempting to make a certain type of character. 

And I was surprised by the number of people who stepped up to offer examples of build ideas that could be tweaked with recoloring and some imagination to get the essence of the OP's desire, some of which I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

What surprised me of most ideas is that they all left out incarnates. How can you be a true wizard with a large fire/ice/ele/dark/earth(if you count the ground pound in Mighty) finishing move. 

So you add those with the above suggestions and you have a almost endless ideas as to how to build a wizard.

@Etched

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like a single powerset that had every type of damage in it would need to have very low damage numbers to keep a bit of balance to it, since all the existing powersets of a single damage type (or, yes, fire/smash or cold/lethal, etc) eventually run up against a mob with resistance to it.  Getting around that resistance within a single powerset would need it to have a lower damage output overall to balance.  See: dual pistols lower relative damage since it can swap ammos.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

7 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I've been avoiding commenting on this thread since my personal take on any new sets called "Magic <Blast, Control, whatever>" or "Arcane <same>" being a giant middle finger to every origin other than magic is already well known and I am trying to avoid having that argument yet again. However, what prompted me to ask if you were responding on the wrong thread is that there is a unicorn horn/head thread and it has nothing to do with the OP of this thread. So your comment that "They're asking for unicorn parts, not power set" seems to be for a different thread. I admit I have a hard time understanding some posts, but yours has me really confused if it was not meant for the unicorn thread.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "AT" to "origin".

Storm blast does smashing, cold, and energy, and dual pistols can do lethal, cold, toxic, and fire, so the precedent exists for having mixed damage types in a single set.  I would avoid any specific references to an origin, and instead go with a generic "elementalist blast" nomenclature.  To further differentiate the set, a simple mechanic could be that if you consecutively attack an enemy with different damage types, (from this set), you'd get an added effect - maybe just extra damage, or on a per-power basis, to keep the mechanics fairly simple.  If you really want to make things interesting, (read: complicated), you could have specific effects for specific damage type combos, like "thermal shock" for cold and fire used consecutively, or "piezoelectric" for smashing + energy...

On 8/13/2023 at 7:55 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

ok well what kind of mage?

Elemental?

Mental?

Enchanter?

Nature Manipulation?

I would love elemental sets for the different ATs that combined effects from 2 or more existing sets.  Right now the best an elementalist can do is master 3 of the 4 core elements with primary, secondary, and ancillary sets... if an elemental theme is even available in their chosen AT.  Maybe a generic elemental powerset that had a power that lets you vary the effects like the way dual pistols lets your damage to fire, cold, or toxic.

36 minutes ago, TheMoneyMaker said:

Maybe a generic elemental powerset that had a power that lets you vary the effects like the way dual pistols lets your damage to fire, cold, or toxic.

This sounds amazing to be honest, but then what would the incentive be to take the pure elemental sets?

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

On 8/14/2023 at 6:01 AM, Raikao said:

It’s the oldest rule on Wikipedia, and it does work: ASSUME GOOD WILL. 

What ruleset is your mage based on? Dungeons & Dragons 5e? Some series or movie universe? That would help with narrowing down options. You certainly have various blast attacks, telekinesis (Animate Object spell in DnD) and other powers that should work for a mage.

I was picturing something like the Magic users from First edition AD&D. I don't expect to get all of the spells, and I can get magic missile, flight, Teleport, and invisibility from the pool powers. But the thing that's missing for me is a ranged attack set with no theme that mixes Fireball, lightning, bolt, cone of cold and maybe a summoning or control power. I think it would be best if there were a primary and secondary that go together. The secondary would include protection powers and maybe a hold that turns the target to stone or traps them in ice. I'm not asking for the set to be more powerful that other sets, just to have more variety than the other sets.