Are Bots Really Becoming a Problem?

Solarverse

For starters, before anyone jumps down my interwebs throat, this is not a "This game is full of bots" accusation thread. However, it would seem the hysteria is starting up and some believe that there is a problem with it. So I pose the question, is this really a problem?

I have personally never seen anyone running any bots in this game. Not once. I have seen obvious bots in every game I have ever played that was online, but never this one.

However, that didn't stop somebody of accusing me of botting today. A certain individual (won't say their name, not trying sick anyone on them) today was advertising an ITF, Kill Most and I sent them a tell asking them to invite me and Stellarverse, who is played by my wife. Well, for truth's sake, she is not really my wife, but we live together and she might as well be my wife...just in case somebody wants to call me out on that and use that to discredit me...that info is now out there. However, after a very long wait, they send a tell back to me asking if Stellarverse is my bot...I reply with, "No, she's my wife."

After another pause, I finally get an invite. I got the first invite, started to head to Steel Canyon from Brickstown and made it to Midnighter's Club before she got her invite.

I get to the ITF contact and wait for her to get there as well.

Once she arrives, I get a tell from the team leader telling me, "seriously we don't need two tankers with exact levels and builds."

For disclosure purposes, my wife and I run an Elec/Energy Tank, exact same builds, both level 50 and both geared to the teeth. I'm an experienced player, she's still learning, that is the only difference.

I respond by simply quitting and telling my wife to quit. I thought that was just purely dumb to have an issue with that, but whatever, it's their team, not mine, so to hell with it. I sent them a tell afterwards (my mistake, I should have just let it go, but the ignorance was too much for me to just say nothing.) informing them that was just a dumb reason to not want somebody on a team, but okay, whatever.

That was when I found out the real reason they didn't want us on the team, the accusations of being a player with a bot started flying, calling me a liar, telling me I was being dishonest, telling me that I am stupid and being deceptive.

At this point, my mind was blown. I was thinking to myself, 'there is no way this person can be serious right now? A bot? Really?'

So now, I just have to ask, is botting a problem in this game or was this person just being paranoid over nothing? I have never once seen a bot in this game, the only bot I know of is @Bionic_Flea, lol.

On a side note, that interaction didn't sit well with my wife, she was pretty upset about it. I can't say I blame her, but can I blame the leader of that team, or is botting really a problem?

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Honstly, I can say the number of bots is way too high. Six per mastermind! That's ridiculous, and the size of them, too! Far too wide. I want smaller, cuter bots and fewer of them. Perhaps give them double guns to compensate for a reduction in their number.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

When I accused that person who's always spamming grandad's records in general of being a bot, I thought it was a fun gag. I hope they aren't upset.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Just now, Herotu said:

When I accused that person who's always spamming grandad's records in general of being a bot, I thought it was a fun gag. I hope they aren't upset.

Considering you are not booting them from a team over it, I think they'll be okay, lol.

16 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

"seriously we don't need two tankers with exact levels and builds."

Thankfully the team leader clearly telegraphed that they were a jerk, before you were 1 or more missions into the TF.  Honestly, there have been times when I felt like at least 1 player on a team I started was just auto-following someone else with a power on autofire.  That being said, I don't think there's any big issue with botting, and more than likely, the team leader was trying to justify rejecting you and your wife...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, the only instance of "botting" I've personally witnessed was when a player triple-boxed and destroyed my AE arcs. I was more impressed they were able to pilot a Brute, Poison/ Def, and /kin MM at the same time. My content isn't easy, I'll have you know!

Other than that, it really just sounds like superstitious blabbing. My experience is my own, however.

Nice to see you 2 made it to 50! My Emp Def (Saiko Wand. We've ran some TFs together) is currently sitting at 48.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

To be honest, the only instance of "botting" I've personally witnessed was when a player triple-boxed and destroyed my AE arcs. I was more impressed they were able to pilot a Brute, Poison/ Def, and /kin MM at the same time. My content isn't easy, I'll have you know!

Other than that, it really just sounds like superstitious blabbing. My experience is my own, however.

Nice to see you 2 made it to 50! My Emp Def (Saiko Wand. We've ran some TFs together) is currently sitting at 48.

Stellar and I send our congrats!

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

For starters, before anyone jumps down my interwebs throat, this is not a "This game is full of bots" accusation thread. However, it would seem the hysteria is starting up and some believe that there is a problem with it. So I pose the question, is this really a problem?

I have personally never seen anyone running any bots in this game. Not once. I have seen obvious bots in every game I have ever played that was online, but never this one.

However, that didn't stop somebody of accusing me of botting today. A certain individual (won't say their name, not trying sick anyone on them) today was advertising an ITF, Kill Most and I sent them a tell asking them to invite me and Stellarverse, who is played by my wife. Well, for truth's sake, she is not really my wife, but we live together and she might as well be my wife...just in case somebody wants to call me out on that and use that to discredit me...that info is now out there. However, after a very long wait, they send a tell back to me asking if Stellarverse is my bot...I reply with, "No, she's my wife."

After another pause, I finally get an invite. I got the first invite, started to head to Steel Canyon from Brickstown and made it to Midnighter's Club before she got her invite.

Once she arrives, I get a tell from the team leader telling me, "seriously we don't need two tankers with exact levels and builds."

For disclosure purposes, my wife and I run an Elec/Energy Tank, exact same builds, both level 50 and both geared to the teeth. I'm an experienced player, she's still learning, that is the only difference.

I respond by simply quitting and telling my wife to quit. I thought that was just purely dumb to have an issue with that, but whatever, it's their team, not mine, so to hell with it. I sent them a tell afterwards (my mistake, I should have just let it go, but the ignorance was too much for me to just say nothing.) informing them that was just a dumb reason to not want somebody on a team, but okay, whatever.

That was when I found out the real reason they didn't want us on the team, the accusations of being a player with a bot started flying, calling me a liar, telling me I was being dishonest, telling me that I am stupid and being deceptive.

At this point, my mind was blown. I was thinking to myself, 'there is no way this person can be serious right now? A bot? Really?'

So now, I just have to ask, is botting a problem in this game or was this person just being paranoid over nothing? I have never once seen a bot in this game, the only bot I know of is @Bionic_Flea, lol.

On a side note, that interaction didn't sit well with my wife, she was pretty upset about it. I can't say I blame her, but can I blame the leader of that team, or is botting really a problem?

Is this text wall generated by one of those new chat bots?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

At the risk of stating the obvious: some people are trash and you're describing one in this story. Bots aren't a problem around here, but it seems that occasionally garbage-people are. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like a good use for a global ignore and moving on with your day. 🍻

• Like 4

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I have seen 8 tankers clear a speed ITF in under 14 minutes.  Tankers regularly farm +4/x8 and no one seems to have a problem joining their farms...

That leader was an idiot.  As was stated by others you were lucky to avoid spending the time with them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Snarky said:

That leader was an idiot.

But, but... what if the team leader was actually the one botting, and didn't want anyone to catch on!!?  Hmmm.....?  They could have been jerk-hacking AND gone to the Americans, at the SAME time!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Left 1

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

What's wrong with WifeBots?

Not a thing; I'd like to have some of those servant bot types, fem type, around the house. 😄

• Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Sorry this happened to you @Solarverse

I was on that team, and was wondering why both tanks suddenly dropped.  We figured it was because the leader was taking so long to try and fill.

For what it’s worth, the leader disco’d during the 2nd (maybe 3rd) mish, and never returned.

Also, I don’t know if this person was just having a bad day, but I’ve run with him/her plenty of times and it’s always been smooth.  They’ve always been nice, and I’ve always happily joined on of their ITFs.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

You're clearly a robot in disguise!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

OR you're Mr. (and Mrs.)...

• Like 2

Yeah, can't say I've ever seen bots in this game. I've heard of them, but never seen them myself. I assume any bots that exist would be solely relegated to farming, as there's virtually no reason at all to take bots into regular content, especially something as easy as the ITF. Sounds like the leader was just being paranoid and having a bad day. /e shrug

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.