Willpower: Heightened Senses

BrandX

WP gets S/L (and Psi) resistance from Mind Over Body. Other than a small amount of resist all in High Pain Tolerance, WP has no resistance to other damage types and relies on the defense in Heightened Senses to protect against those damage types. The lower S/L defense is by design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

15 minutes ago, Uun said:

WP gets S/L (and Psi) resistance from Mind Over Body. Other than a small amount of resist all in High Pain Tolerance, WP has no resistance to other damage types and relies on the defense in Heightened Senses to protect against those damage types. The lower S/L defense is by design.

I know, but it's always bothered me.  It's not like my WP Brute worries about S/L Damage at 90% Resist, still, to me, it felt like the S/L should've been equal to the rest of the Defenses.

I thought this back on live.  Also, it's not like S/L Defense is as great as it used to be, with the changes to how defense works.

18 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I know, but it's always bothered me.  It's not like my WP Brute worries about S/L Damage at 90% Resist, still, to me, it felt like the S/L should've been equal to the rest of the Defenses.

It's a hybrid mitigation set, not a Defense set.  If you start changing things, other things have to be changed.  Add more Smashing/Lethal Defense, Smashing/Lethal Resistance and some of the Regeneration and +HP has to be removed.  And then it's just not good any more, because it won't have enough Defense, Resistance, Regeneration or +HP to work well.

It's working magnificently as it is.  Let's not fuck with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

It's a hybrid mitigation set, not a Defense set.  If you start changing things, other things have to be changed.  Add more Smashing/Lethal Defense, Smashing/Lethal Resistance and some of the Regeneration and +HP has to be removed.  And then it's just not good any more, because it won't have enough Defense, Resistance, Regeneration or +HP to work well.

It's working magnificently as it is.  Let's not fuck with it.

I'm not sure how adding 7.27% S/L defense is reason to take away from other areas of the set, especially when one considers they changed how defense type defense works and added Psi Resist to a bunch of sets without taking away anything.

However, it seems most are against the idea, so be it 😛  Like I said, just felt there was no reason it shouldn't be equal to the other types, but at the same time, it's not like it would've changed my Spines/WP Brute.

3 hours ago, BrandX said:

It needs buffed! 

From Pittsburgh?

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Sure, but since the set is designed to counter SL with res and FCEN with def, boosting the def would mean losing the res.

People have been asking for this since WP was released. At the height of the softcap meta, taking this tradeoff actually may have been a significant buff to WP. Post-typed def revamp, my only objection to it is that sets with such biased defenses are more interesting from a build design perspective and that should be preserved.

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

I'm not sure how adding 7.27% S/L defense is reason to take away from other areas of the set, especially when one considers they changed how defense type defense works and added Psi Resist to a bunch of sets without taking away anything.

Because it's not balanced around having higher Defense to Smashing/Lethal, it's balanced around having lower Defense and higher Resistance to Smashing/Lethal .  That's why the set has Mind Over Body, and why Strength of Will buffs S/L Resistance twice as much as it buffs other Resistances, and why the set has +Regen and +MaxHP and -ToHit.  If you buff S/L Defense, the set is too good, too survivable, unbalanced, and something else has to be nerfed to compensate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

Because it's not balanced around having higher Defense to Smashing/Lethal, it's balanced around having lower Defense and higher Resistance to Smashing/Lethal .  That's why the set has Mind Over Body, and why Strength of Will buffs S/L Resistance twice as much as it buffs other Resistances, and why the set has +Regen and +MaxHP and -ToHit.  If you buff S/L Defense, the set is too good, too survivable, unbalanced, and something else has to be nerfed to compensate.

Still go back to they buffed other sets to have PSI Resist without taking anything.

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

Still go back to they buffed other sets to have PSI Resist without taking anything.

Apples to oranges;  The notion of sets having "holes" has all but been done away with;  A set can still be weaker in some areas, but generally not completely lacking.  Early sets like invuln originally lacked any psi resist at all, and I don't think any sets had any protection from toxic when the game launched.

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, biostem said:

Apples to oranges;  The notion of sets having "holes" has all but been done away with;  A set can still be weaker in some areas, but generally not completely lacking.  Early sets like invuln originally lacked any psi resist at all, and I don't think any sets had any protection from toxic when the game launched.

The comment was, buff the set, have to take away.  Those sets got buffed and nothing took away.

• Thumbs Down 1

37 minutes ago, BrandX said:

The comment was, buff the set, have to take away.  Those sets got buffed and nothing took away.

And I pointed out how that was due to different circumstances;  Those sets had *no* mitigation to certain damage types, which is not the case for Willpower.

Dumb question: I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like Tanker Willpower gets 51.625% DDR, Scrapper Willpower gets 47.3% DDR, and Brute Willpower gets 47.3% DDR from Indomitable Will and Heightened Senses. Is that insufficient? I mean between the regen', moderate defense, solid resist, and -ToHit, it can be pretty hard for me to get my main Brute, an Electrical Melee/Willpower, killed. Especially when I pop Strength of Will when things get bad. I wouldn't complain if the SL defense came up a little, but I also don't understand why it needs to.

4 hours ago, Rudra said:

Dumb question: I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like Tanker Willpower gets 51.625% DDR, Scrapper Willpower gets 47.3% DDR, and Brute Willpower gets 47.3% DDR from Indomitable Will and Heightened Senses. Is that insufficient? I mean between the regen', moderate defense, solid resist, and -ToHit, it can be pretty hard for me to get my main Brute, an Electrical Melee/Willpower, killed. Especially when I pop Strength of Will when things get bad. I wouldn't complain if the SL defense came up a little, but I also don't understand why it needs to.

Willpower gets no DDR from Indomitable Will in PVE (it's PVP only). Willpower's only source of DDR in PVE is Heightened Senses, and it's so small as to be almost meaningless (21.625% for tanks, 17.3% for scrappers, brutes and stalkers, and 13.84% for sentinels). For good measure, it's set to ignore enhancements.

5 hours ago, biostem said:

And I pointed out how that was due to different circumstances;  Those sets had *no* mitigation to certain damage types, which is not the case for Willpower.

Electric didn't get Toxic Resist when those missing Psi Resist got it added in.

4 hours ago, Uun said:

Willpower gets no DDR from Indomitable Will in PVE (it's PVP only). Willpower's only source of DDR in PVE is Heightened Senses, and it's so small as to be almost meaningless (21.625% for tanks, 17.3% for scrappers, brutes and stalkers, and 13.84% for sentinels). For good measure, it's set to ignore enhancements.

k, thanks.

3 minutes ago, lemming said:

DDR is probably the biggest hole in WP, which is why Ageless is very popular especially when one is on an ITF.  Which fills in the hole pretty well.

That and lack of end drain resistance (which Ageless also fills).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arcane said:

The psi resists were added to sets with typed defense because typed defense got nerfed. Electric armor has nothing to do with any of that.

What would defense getting nerfed have to do with adding psi resist, when most psi attacks do just psi damage?

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

What would defense getting nerfed have to do with adding psi resist, when most psi attacks do just psi damage?

Quite a few psi attacks do smashing damage as well.  Before the defense change, these attacks could be avoided by smashing defense, now they cannot.

What this team needs is more Defenders