What do you think is the single most powerful power/ability in the game?

Story Archer

On 10/15/2023 at 6:00 PM, Burnt Umber said:

I'd throw out that Howling Twilight is somewhere up there: it's an auto-hit AoE minor stun and massive -Regen that rezes all of your nearby allies to full.

This ^

HT is hands down one of if not THE best rez in the game 

• Like 3

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

• Game Master
1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Warning nostalgia ahead:

First time I saw this combo it was a "wtf just happened" moment.  To one side of my screen the WS entered the mob and in what seemed like an instant the mob went 'poof' (Quasar - post Mire I presume) as their end bar basically bottomed out only to completely fill again (Eclipse).  I had seen this sort of nuke post nuke thing happen as an Empath in Green Machine but it took having at least a near full team, mostly to get the damage buff needed as this was pre-IO.  This was a small team with minimal buffs and not a Kin in sight.  The speed at which all happened still boggles me today in the age of Incarnates.

First time I used the full combo after level 50 and lots of purple slotting I was shocked at the "insta-poof" myself. Teleported in, used shadow slip to collect the enemies, eclipse, mire, dwarf, mire, human, quasar.... "Where did everyone go??".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, catsi563 said:

This ^

Nevermind the ranged AoE, slow and recharge debuff along with some minor damage and famously rezzed all whole lot of heroes after a Hami Bloom by targeting an Oil Slick Arrow, bringing, as I recall, a silently observing Dev out of their hidden silence to effectively say "You did what?  WTF?"

• Like 3

Another vote for Fulcrum Shift. Seems almost unfair I (we) get buffed, while you (they) get gimped.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

17 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Nevermind the ranged AoE, slow and recharge debuff along with some minor damage and famously rezzed all whole lot of heroes after a Hami Bloom by targeting an Oil Slick Arrow, bringing, as I recall, a silently observing Dev out of their hidden silence to effectively say "You did what?  WTF?"

I maintain to this day that Panda my D4 holds the record --unofficially-- for the most people rezzed in one shot by Howling Twilight

it was back before they capped AOEs during a fight with the Kraken in  perez. big  boy took out around 24+ poeple  this back when Monsters were MONSTERS

I popped HT and up came pretty much the entire group of people 20+ easy in one shot

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

On 10/15/2023 at 5:31 AM, Skyhawke said:

Brawl. When you're tapped out and can do nothing, Brawl is there. Brawl is with you start to finish. It asks nothing and gives everything. Brawl is life. It knows you'll get your nukes and one shotters and snipes. It knows you'll eventually become an Incarnate. Yet through it all, Brawl is there. It waits for that moment when all else fails and you have only your two fists to depend on. So keep Brawl on your tray, hell, slot that sucker with...

All joking aside, once you hit level 12, you can slot Pounding Slugfest - Disorient Bonus.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

On 10/17/2023 at 1:11 PM, catsi563 said:

Oh, does it rez, too? I hadn't noticed. Agree it's a contender for best power.

• Haha 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

17 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Oh, does it rez, too? I hadn't noticed. Agree it's a contender for best power.

It does and with the coolest sound effect in the game power wise 😸

• Like 1

~Schmendrick

Burn, simply because of it's accuracy. Anecdotally, I put a recharge in it for the initial slot, unlike other powers which get an accuracy. The second slot is also a recharge, then a damage. By the third slot, I'm usually ready for IOs, depending on if it's a brute or a tank. Unless I'm debuffed by spectral ghosts or something, I never see it miss, even against +4 mobs. 

On 10/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, Story Archer said:

General question and then again with what you think is the ideal slotting. Not worried about getting into the 'OP' debate, just curious what popular choices are.

For my money I feel like it's got to be Seeds of Confusion. Basic slotting for Accuracy, Recharge and Range it's pretty ridiculous but at 50 with Contagious Confusion it just gets ratcheted up to a whole new level of domination/control.

Gotta figure Carrion Creepers gets an honorable mention here too.

EDIT: Okay a couple of qualifiers - it's got to be a powerset power, not something generic that almost every build takes like Hasten. I'd also say shy away from the traditional tier 9 nukes unless they do something distinctive that sets them apart from other Tier 9 powers.

There is no single most powerful ability from powersets.  We've had years to see to that not being viably the case. Everything is situational, as most have said to this point regarding different powers:  "X is good in the right situation.".... or.... "X is good in the right hands."  meaning a player's acumen plays a significant role.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Perfidy said:

Burn, simply because of it's accuracy. Anecdotally, I put a recharge in it for the initial slot, unlike other powers which get an accuracy. The second slot is also a recharge, then a damage. By the third slot, I'm usually ready for IOs, depending on if it's a brute or a tank. Unless I'm debuffed by spectral ghosts or something, I never see it miss, even against +4 mobs. 

It's your imagination. Burn has standard 1.0 accuracy.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

21 hours ago, Andreah said:

The problem I have with counting "It rezzes" in favor of Howling Twilight is someone on your dead has to be dead.

Several someones in howling twilights case  😹

• Haha 1

~Schmendrick

the OP didn't specify that this has to be a Player Character power - although my presumption is that's what he meant but if we take all powers available in the game isn't Ghost Widow's 1000 mag hold a good candidate?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

the OP didn't specify that this has to be a Player Character power - although my presumption is that's what he meant but if we take all powers available in the game isn't Ghost Widow's 1000 mag hold a good candidate?

On 10/15/2023 at 1:08 AM, Story Archer said:

EDIT: Okay a couple of qualifiers - it's got to be a powerset power, not something generic that almost every build takes like Hasten. I'd also say shy away from the traditional tier 9 nukes unless they do something distinctive that sets them apart from other Tier 9 powers.

I think from the OP is has to be a power a player can choose to take for the build from a primary or secondary powerset, excepting the vanilla Tier-9 nukes.

If we were to open it up to all the powers in the game, then I'd have to pick a GM power that deletes a spawn. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

This is totally in my head as to how it really works, but I'm going to go with Vorpal Kick. Love that power.

Apparently it's in the category of powers ineligible for discussion. But WHATEVER.

Villains don't play by the rules anyway.

Edited by PartyKake