I just can't make myself do the low level regular contacts - too many street sweeps

DougGraves

I want the variety of the missions and there are some fun arcs, but it feels like half or more of the missions I get are street sweeps.  And not just street sweeps - go to PP and hunt 20 Hellions or some other mission that is not right for my level and solo.

A generic hunt hellions I don't mind so much.  I can just find lower level ones and get through it.  But going to the zone with the reactor and trying to hunt some enemy type is just such a pain.

I am sure no one has ever expressed their frustration with this, so I thought I would be bold and speak up.

That is nothing.  I have do e many Red “completionist” runs (every contact, every mission).  But only ine red/blue/gold

There are a few (too many) kill x carnies (20?) in PI.   The issue?  They only spawn in one place.  A few at a time.  Boring, long, stupid

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, having to sweep when the zone is above level is a real pain. When I'm running arcs, I bounce between 2-3 contacts. When I feel powerful enough to do a sweep (the one where you're supposed to go to Steel and you're 2 levels below the zone minimum), then I head there and do what I gotta. Worse case scenario: autocomplete every now and then.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

36 minutes ago, Snarky said:

That is nothing.  I have do e many Red “completionist” runs (every contact, every mission).  But only ine red/blue/gold

There are a few (too many) kill x carnies (20?) in PI.   The issue?  They only spawn in one place.  A few at a time.  Boring, long, stupid

so true, “kill X amount of Y in a zone they never spawn in”

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

so true, “kill X amount of Y in a zone they never spawn in”

Ugh. Yeah, THAT PI one (and its ilk) is particularly bad.

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

First mission offered Blue side is always a hunt - take the second option which is typically a door mish and where story arcs are.  Part of the arcs may be a hunt, and sometimes before/after an arc you might get "go see security chief" for a hunt/clean up of a zone... but it's a one and done thing (until you get to the next contact level).  🙂  

These hunts are old offerings/content from the beginning days when door content was not as robust.  Also, there were a lot of people who didn't want to do story content and just wanted to street-sweep, but this gave them a way to get bonus mission-completion XP too.  

Yes, they are a pain in the rear-end and I get annoyed too.  But I also get nostalgic and remember fondly back to the early days of the game.  Mixed emotions!  😄 

• Like 2

I spend almost all of my time on red side doing paper missions trying to get contacts to do some 'real' stuff after Mercy. So yeah...I get ya.  Blue side I go to the Hollows since KR is all skulls nearly all the time. ><  Even the low-mid is a lot of hunts as well between TI and IP.  Taken to doing alignment missions rather than contacts in those zones.  A lot of the contact missions could use a real overhaul IMO both blue and red side.

I bet one could cut overall blueside contacts in half and not miss much of anything. I did a run in the 15-19 area and felt like stabbing myself with a plastic spork. Between street sweeps and mindless timed missions in other zones, it was just a dump truck of brainless content. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Frozen Burn said:

First mission offered Blue side is always a hunt - take the second option which is typically a door mish and where story arcs are.  Part of the arcs may be a hunt, and sometimes before/after an arc you might get "go see security chief" for a hunt/clean up of a zone... but it's a one and done thing (until you get to the next contact level).  🙂  

These hunts are old offerings/content from the beginning days when door content was not as robust.  Also, there were a lot of people who didn't want to do story content and just wanted to street-sweep, but this gave them a way to get bonus mission-completion XP too.  

Yes, they are a pain in the rear-end and I get annoyed too.  But I also get nostalgic and remember fondly back to the early days of the game.  Mixed emotions!  😄 

The problem was I committed to do EVERY mission red/blue/gold on one toon.  (it is doable....insane, but achievable)  So when the hunts pop up....

The only trick I used was to log on my alt acct and team with a 50, so at least the killing was slightly easier.  Also important if there are other players in the zone.  If you do not kill your carnies fast you may wait for the next respawn.  Which you already have 5-6 per hunt minimum.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The problem was I committed to do EVERY mission red/blue/gold on one toon.  (it is doable....insane, but achievable)  So when the hunts pop up....

The only trick I used was to log on my alt acct and team with a 50, so at least the killing was slightly easier.  Also important if there are other players in the zone.  If you do not kill your carnies fast you may wait for the next respawn.  Which you already have 5-6 per hunt minimum.

You're sweeping the two ships in the port for carnies, right? I couldn't imagine trying to do it any other way in PI. Plus, there's two of the "Hunt 20 Carnival" missions from the same contact.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

You're sweeping the two ships in the port for carnies, right? I couldn't imagine trying to do it any other way in PI. Plus, there's two of the "Hunt 20 Carnival" missions from the same contact.

yes.  and more from other contacts as well.  somewhere around 5-7? if my old memory serves.  it was a nightmare.  i do not think carnies are anywhere except the ships.  if another player is around the ships for any reason they will not respawn, or the players might randomly kill them while wandering through zone hunting....???

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

yes.  and more from other contacts as well.  somewhere around 5-7? if my old memory serves.  it was a nightmare.  i do not think carnies are anywhere except the ships.  if another player is around the ships for any reason they will not respawn, or the players might randomly kill them while wandering through zone hunting....???

They sometimes spawn during the day around the blocks that surround Portal Corp but only in two's and rarely. I see more Zeus Titans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

A lot of the older content did not age well to be sure. You can avoid much of that on Hero side though (red and gold obviously don't really have the problem that badly to begin with, especially gold). Starting out I like to do the new AP missions, then the new Skulls missions in KR, then Faultline, and Lockhart and Easton in Steel Canyon. Then I do the Clone missions in Talos and the Mediporter missions. At this point I have a bit of a gap. You could do Croatoa but although I like the zone and atmosphere, there are a lot of bad missions here in the arcs. RWZ is an option as well. It's more fun IMO at least. 

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

There are some spots they group up in 6-10 in numbers.   There's an area south of the Peeping Tom (All Seeing, had to look it up) badge (between the grass and building.  That's either malta, carni, or nemesis.   And a bit further south, by the buildings, or under the roof is another spot.   Not sure if they show more often at different times, but I often will wipe the other groups to make room.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Snarky said:

There are a few (too many) kill x carnies (20?) in PI.

No kidding, just doing Harvey Maylor Arc, and then his missions. "Defeat 50 Carnies on Peregrine Island", only to be followed by "Tell the Carnies to take their HiJinx somewhere else", in other words defeat 50 MORE Carnies...... I walked away and looked for a new contact. I'm at 50+ and most of them I could find gave no XP, I have better things to do with my time.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 12/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, Snarky said:

Harvey Maylor has three "defeat 50 Carnies" as part of his arc; one of them can be done in St. Martial, the other two are specifically in PI.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm not mistaken, when you have a hunt in a certain map, you can look for a radio mish and get your kills that way.

Also note that if ur 3 radio mish dont have needed mobs you can change maps (go to different map then come back) to get get 3 totally new radio mish's.

haven't done this trick in awhile, soooo good luck

55 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

If I'm not mistaken, when you have a hunt in a certain map, you can look for a radio mish and get your kills that way.

Also note that if ur 3 radio mish dont have needed mobs you can change maps (go to different map then come back) to get get 3 totally new radio mish's.

haven't done this trick in awhile, soooo good luck

Radio missions only work for non-specific hunting.   So if it says "50 Carnies in Perigrine", you'll have to hunt in PI.  If it's "50 Carnies" and it doesn't say a specific map, then a radio mission can do it.   Note, there are a few hunts that don't say they need to be anywhere specifically, but they have to be in a certain place.   Though the only one that comes to mind is the Council Hunt during the Citadel TF that has to be done in IP.   (Not that a radio would help anyway)

On 12/8/2023 at 2:41 PM, Frostbiter said:

Harvey Maylor's Carnie hunts are for 50 !!

Carnies spawn elsewhere than the ships, there's often a group of them next to the building to your right as you're facing Harvey. They're also frequently around the skyscraper just north of the docks, and they're sometimes lurking around the bases of power line towers.

Some of the hunts that particularly annoy me are "no XP" hunts. Like, there's a high-30s mission in Bricks or Founders that sends you to "interrogate" 20 Sky Raiders, a 20s-range enemy group.

20 minutes ago, RikOz said:

Carnies spawn elsewhere than the ships, there's often a group of them next to the building to your right as you're facing Harvey. They're also frequently around the skyscraper just north of the docks, and they're sometimes lurking around the bases of power line towers.

Carnies spawn on the platform of the building E of Maylor, and on the W side of that building near its N end. E and a bit S, they spawn in the passage between the two buildings there, and on the pavement W of the grassy area where the Rikti stand around. Also on the E side of the high-tension tower by the AE building, and around the buildings for a few blocks S of that. The problem is that they share the spawn locations with Rikti, Nemesis, and Malta, diluting the chance of finding them at any given spawn point.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Harvey Maylor has three "defeat 50 Carnies" as part of his arc; one of them can be done in St. Martial, the other two are specifically in PI.

This is even more annoying during various events. Accepting a 'defeat 50 Carnies in Peregrine Island' only to see a 'Zombie attack in Peregrine Island' alert is infuriating. It's also the reason I run most arcs via Ouroboros, I can drop them if a mission turns out to be particularly stupid.

• Like 1

• Game Master
On 12/9/2023 at 7:09 PM, Marine X said:

No kidding, just doing Harvey Maylor Arc, and then his missions. "Defeat 50 Carnies on Peregrine Island", only to be followed by "Tell the Carnies to take their HiJinx somewhere else", in other words defeat 50 MORE Carnies...... I walked away and looked for a new contact. I'm at 50+ and most of them I could find gave no XP, I have better things to do with my time.

You know those are filler missions don't you? They'll keep coming forever once you finish his story arc

• Like 2

• Game Master

A lot of contacts are fillers and don't have any badge missions or arcs. Once you have done the solitary badge mission or arc you'll just get the same random missions till you out level the rest. It's always wise to check the wiki before starting a contact just to see what they give you and what the arc is. If you don't have contacts in your list just hit the find contact button to see what you have left in your level range. Anything that pops up either has a badge mission or story arc/s

• Like 3