I just can't make myself do the low level regular contacts - too many street sweeps

DougGraves

2 hours ago, pawstruck said:

Back in the day, I didn't mind hunts. They were pretty fun actually. Why do we all hate them now?

I can't quite pin down why the outdoor world in this game is so uninteresting compared to WoW's... It feels so non-interactive.

I like soloing in wow (some expansions….not all) because they learned to pack the area.  Hunts, quests, tidbits, all woven together.  CoH had neither manpower or experience at this.  They did some nice stuff Goldside, but some was clunky first date crap like hunting roses in starter zone.  

5 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

You know those are filler missions don't you? They'll keep coming forever once you finish his story arc

Harvey will only give you the missions once.  After a bit, there will be no more given.  Some just seem like the same one.  None of the regular contacts will continue giving missions even if you don't level past them.   Repeating are just certain ones setup to do so.  (Radio, Newspaper, some Gold ones, new Cim contact and the old one, etc...)

24 minutes ago, lemming said:

Harvey will only give you the missions once.  After a bit, there will be no more given.  Some just seem like the same one.  None of the regular contacts will continue giving missions even if you don't level past them.   Repeating are just certain ones setup to do so.  (Radio, Newspaper, some Gold ones, new Cim contact and the old one, etc...)

This is true and the reason i can claim “soloed every contact/mission offered”. Although the Hollows also has an endless contact

The only thing that would tempt me for another run would be a great new Blaster set(s).  Or….a rework of SS no crash

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

You know those are filler missions don't you?

Yes, and I like to finish all content from my contacts, but when you are going to have to spend a great deal of time hunting for X faction in Y Zone, there should be some there that will award XP, since hunts have no completion bonus. I was actually enjoying the other Non-Arc missions he was giving out, but those 2 in a row, that's too much work for no XP.

I guess the real question is, why are there literally hundreds of Nemesis, DE, Malta, Rikti and CoT on Peregrine Island and so few Carnies? It is the only zone they spawn in Blue Side. All the other groups, except perhaps Malta, are readily available in other zones as well. You would think if a contact says they are causing such Chaos that their numbers need thinning, you would actually be able to find some, lol. 

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I would absolutely be on board with eliminating hunts in general or, more reasonably (to minimize mission arc rewrite) make the X in "Hunt X" a very low number, like 5.  They're not fun (subjective) not rewarding (less subjective), to me they just serve to break the flow when I'm doing old school contacts.

At the very least radio missions could be made to always count towards hunt "X" missions.

"What do you mean I still need to arrest 40 Carnival? I just went in and rescued a hostage from them and arrested like 50 of them."

"Those didn't count. We needed the ones off the street."

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

59 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

At the very least radio missions could be made to always count towards hunt "X" missions.

"What do you mean I still need to arrest 40 Carnival? I just went in and rescued a hostage from them and arrested like 50 of them."

"Those didn't count. We needed the ones off the street."

I always loved getting hunt X Longbow....after just getting the badge for killing 1000

Yeah.  I'm not a big fan of "Bring me X Bear Asses" missions.

I'll do it to progress in arc missions if I must.
Beyond that though, I tend to leave non-arc missions alone.

The nice thing is that the mission text is now color coded to denote arc missions vs non-arc missions.
So selecting missions has become much easier and straightforward.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I like street sweeping so much I make up my own content.

Like I will choose a level 29 Ouro arc with no intention of doing it, then go to Talos and hunt Tsoo, or go to IP and hunt Family Bosses. Even Echo Dark Astoria to kill BP. That's hella fun with a Fire tank.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Talk to the origin contacts in the basement rooms in City Hall.  You can talk to them at level 1, 50, any level between, and any standard contacts you don't have will be added to your contact list.  It's not just effective, it's so efficient that I've soloed half a dozen characters to 50 without doing a single tip or talking to a police detective, and never had to street sweep.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:33 PM, DougGraves said:

I want the variety of the missions and there are some fun arcs, but it feels like half or more of the missions I get are street sweeps.  And not just street sweeps - go to PP and hunt 20 Hellions or some other mission that is not right for my level and solo.

Oh, Hellion yes!

I love that mission when I'm underpowered for it and soloing it.

Perez Park is really meant for teams, but this can be soloed.

For all those people out there complaining that they can't find challenging content, then this is a great one for you!

I had to go to the SG base several times for respites to be able to complete it, but I completed it solo.

Push comes to shove, when this kind of thing happens, ...and I really can't handle the challenge.... I run some police missions or missions from another contact until my character levels up and then I try the hunt mission again.

Sometimes, you can get credit for hunts by defeating the foes in police missions even if it says specifically to fight them in certain areas.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I almost always do Mathew Burke through the snakes, then go blueside and do Mathew Habinady, Sondra Costel, Aaron Theiry, and Twinshot. That gets me to level 8 or 9, then I ad lib till 15, then I do Faultline, Strega, and Croatoa, since they give bonus reward merits for doing all 4 contacts in each zone. Then I go back redside and other than kidnapping Fiona and becoming Villain of the Month. I do different contacts all the time. I also get into the midnighters usually from Steel Canyon. Other than being in a rut from 1 to 15 I go for variety.

On 12/8/2023 at 7:45 PM, Snarky said:

The issue?  They only spawn in one place.  A few at a time.  Boring, long, stupid

Reminds me of farming those masks that only appear at night and only in that corner of Talos...

• Thumbs Up 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:23 PM, Lazarus said:

If I'm not mistaken, when you have a hunt in a certain map, you can look for a radio mish and get your kills that way.

Also note that if ur 3 radio mish dont have needed mobs you can change maps (go to different map then come back) to get get 3 totally new radio mish's.

haven't done this trick in awhile, soooo good luck

Also a caveat to doing it this way is if it is a hunt mission that is linked to immediately go into a regular instanced mission.  Unless they fixed that bug, if you do the entire hunt inside a radio instance it will bug out and not bring up the next linked mission.

I always do radio hunts like that until I have one left of what I need and then exit and hunt that last one outside, just to be sure.

Oh, and don't forget Croatoa.  It was like the devs said, "Oh, you don't like zone specific hunt missions?  Now we're going to give you neighborhood specific hunt missions, take that!"  Luckily they don't tend to be too bad.  I only remember sometimes having problems with one fir bolg one where they didn't seem to gen much in the right neighborhood and I often have to find some and drag them to the right area (which also thankfully works.)