To everyone (re)joining the game and forums

a personal message from yours truly

in the words of a great man who inspired this place; "'Nuff Said!"

Welcome home

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

One point that may not see enough emphasis: Enjoy the journey!

This is not one of those games where "life begins at max level!"

Most of the fun content happens along the way.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

4 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Added emphasis.  Really good point, Doc!   That said, there's still a lot to do at max level, and considering that the game scales your character to whatever level the team/league leader has, a character never really goes out of fashion.  Just asks the players with 900+ veteran levels.

Looking forward to seeing all the fresh meat new blood in the game.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

AE mish

Oh, good lord, how could I forget:

STAY THE HELL OUT OF AE UNTIL YOU'VE LEVELED YOUR FIRST CHARACTER!

You can stick your head in the Matrix AFTER you've tried the "Real World!"

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

Oh, good lord, how could I forget:

You can stick your head in the Matrix AFTER you've tried the "Real World!"

Nah, play however you want.  Your time, your own brand of fun.

Powerleveling is still a thing and you can learn most gaming mechanics just following the farmer and lending a hand on attacks/buffs/debuffs.  Not like Tab and Click works differently in AE missions versus the “real game” lol.

Welcome back and enjoy your playtime here.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

play however you want

Quite right!

My apologies if I seemed to be dictating "play my way" to new players.

But I seem to remember a Dev sharing a summary of their number-crunching that found new players who zoom to 50 tend to get quickly bored and wander off.

I understand the impulse. Modern MMOs tend to have the fun stuff gated at the top level.

CoH doesn't make you wait till 50 to have fun. If you play your way through, you are more likely to engage with the game, meet friends, and stick around for a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

I've had to explain a lot of game stuff to many players who alreayd had a 50.  Better to learn as you play not after you've played imho.  Big believer in this:

Level-1-MMO-Characters-Vs.-Level-80-MMO-Characters-Battle-Monsters.thumb.jpg.41b9665a3b1bdc6f90c9d9b2b43bb036.jpg

You can have fun at any level.  You can rig the game later (which makes it too easy imho), but do play it first, at least a little bit.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Heck, get a character PL'd to 50 that can generate inf for your character that is working their way up the levels more organically is a viable tactic.  (Though there are some pretty sweet ways to leverage your lower level recipe drops for more inf)

6 hours ago, lemming said:

Heck, get a character PL'd to 50 that can generate inf for your character that is working their way up the levels more organically is a viable tactic.  (Though there are some pretty sweet ways to leverage your lower level recipe drops for more inf)

Yeah, if you can figure out how to get that 50 to PI.  Or how to slot Endurance. Or (etc.)

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Yeah, if you can figure out how to get that 50 to PI.  Or how to slot Endurance. Or (etc.)

My first 50 gradually built up funds and sets while being able to fund alts.   Though I was a return veteran, so not so big a deal.

I think it's not so much that someone gets to 50 without knowing how to play, but not taking the time to learn to play.  You can do that at any level, you just have to actually learn

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 4:59 PM, Techwright said:

That said, there's still a lot to do at max level, and considering that the game scales your character to whatever level the team/league leader

Not really.

You have powers - what? - 5 levels higher than your exemplar-ed level ... and you get all the benefits of your slotted sets as long as you are above the level to be able to slot the enhancement.

An exemplar-ed 50 is far more powerful than a level 25.

And the problem with that is when 50's decide to show-off by joining lower level teams ... and not teaming, but simply rampaging through missions without care for the other team members.

And, unfortunately, I've seen that all too often and if someone on the team calls them on it, they get an attitude like it is their right to do what they want to do even if it is ruining the fun of the leveling characters.

You don't see Superman ignoring the rest of the JLA and just speedrunning every issue and not bothering to interact with the other JLA a members.

He tones it down and behaves like part of a team and not like his teammates are slowing him down.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Well players who join teams just to be rude and charge ahead leaving everyone else behind aren't people you want to be playing with to begin with. Those children will always exist, probably some random 10 year old.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

9 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

Well players who join teams just to be rude and charge ahead leaving everyone else behind aren't people you want to be playing with to begin with. Those children will always exist, probably some random 10 year old.

Sometimes it’s helpful for my controller run ahead and debuff/mez fresh mobs (before they inevitably scatter) so they can be more easily destroyed by the rest of my team. A small handful of people have found it annoying though lol. It’s the way to go if you want to really speed through missions however.

Edited by Azari

1 hour ago, ZeeHero said:

So you think people should waste time traveling as a herd when you can expedite things by moving at least a group ahead? 

Never understood this mentality. Why do we all need to move as a herd? That is an objective waste of time if a few people on the team can effortlessly handle groups of enemies

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 1/6/2024 at 2:51 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Take my thumbs-up as standing for about 100 such responses.

I have never understood the max-speed-powerlevel gamer mindset, especially in this game. Even a player with the least tolerance for boredom can take ten full runs at it, 1-50, with different alts and builds and choices of contacts and missions and methods. Even after that, there's elbow room to do it your own rotten way... including just being a street thug and leveling through nothing more than beating up corner mobs.

Frankly, I ran three alts to 50 last summer (first ones on HC) and my regular partner finds 50-plus and endgame content boring. We end up dropping to 20-30 lowbies and have fun finding new missions and content we missed before... or just street sweeping and making the punks bounce.

I'm not even sure CoX is 'about the journey' as it's about... enjoying any alternate life you care to roll up. But it's definitely not about being the baddest cape on the map or "winning."

I've always been in favor of a a power-gamer, insta-50 server to compartmentalize that crowd. But nobody listen to Zathras, no.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Lot of different viewpoints in here, but I think the one thing we can all agree on is Nerf Regen. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Left 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

On 1/6/2024 at 3:51 PM, DoctorDitko said:

While I agree in general with Crysis (play your own way), I think a lot of players would avoid a lot of hassles, learn essentials and have just as much fun if all the alternate paths were barred until they get at least one alt to, say, 40. Players on their third or fourth end-game alt who still don't know the basics are... a drag on everyone around them.

• Like 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

5 hours ago, Seed22 said:

So you think people should waste time traveling as a herd when you can expedite things by moving at least a group ahead? 

Never understood this mentality. Why do we all need to move as a herd? That is an objective waste of time if a few people on the team can effortlessly handle groups of enemies

I mean theres no requirement if you're in a group that's ok with it, obviously. This is like trying to explain how to make a peanut butter sandwich to an alien, ugh.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Well, it depends on what you see as the reason for teaming, If it's to get into missions way above your solo level, then play solo but with the team available to save your butt, you're absolutely right.

If teaming means you work together in a sensible fashion, using each alt and power set to best use, without calling down a whole room full of foes on an unsuspecting 'herd,' and actually playing as a team... well, no, you're the kind of player who probably gets frequently kicked. And the first response on your post confirms a few things I've inferred about that participant...

If you're just coming back after the long sleep after Legacy CoH and are looking for old SG pals, head down to the Reconnect section of the forums, most of the old servers have their own threads of players announcing their return.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/47-reconnect/

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.