Run, Jump, or Fly?

9 times out of 10, Fly.  If powersets or concept don't play well with flight, Super Jump.

Teleport is too hard on the hands, and Super Speed in a game with this much required vertical movement is a joke.

• Like 1

It largely depends on my characters backstory and origin. If they have powers that can logically give them flight, I give them flight. Otherwise, it's speed and jump and jetpack, maybe teleport if I get creative enough. 

However I will say the sorcery flight (forgot the name) is a better replacement to the usual flight if you have a character that does magic, I noticed you can go faster than other people if you stack Infiltration on it.

Edited by Snowbunny

Run Jump Fly is the toughest Olympic Triathlon event, but looks fantastic when the athletes get it right (which is rare!)

I used to take fly almost exclusively  but so many powers are gimped by it, stuff you just can't cast even at 0 feet, so I often take CJ

These days I only occasionally take a travel power, because rocket boards and void skiffs are good and cheap and even the magic carpet can be made to fit.

If I have to choose something, it will be thematically driven as best as possible!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Superspeed coupled with super jump is pretty awesome. For me, though, it’s about what fits conceptually. The toon I play most is a ground bound scrapper. I haven’t picked up any movement pools at all. Did get the free jump pack and purchased flight pack once he had some cash. Also ended up earning an extra flight pack in the KR Bank mish. He’s part of an SG with a base, too, so I use the TPs there, and Ouro (which I got by zoning into the PvP zone via Atlas, behind Rick Davies in City Hall).

That said, nothing feels quite so super as flight.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 minute ago, cranebump said:

Superspeed coupled with super jump is pretty awesome. For me, though, it’s about what fits conceptually. The toon I play most is a ground bound scrapper. I haven’t picked up any movement pools at all. Did get the free jump pack and purchased flight pack once he had some cash. Also ended up earning an extra flight pack in the KR Bank mish. He’s part of an SG with a base, too, so I use the TPs there, and Ouro (which I got by zoning into the PvP zone via Atlas, behind Rick Davies in City Hall).

I have one character with both SS and SJ.  That character's concept is...well, I think it's really super, man. 

Anyway, having both isn't as redundant as you might think, and while not taking both travel power pools might let me make him more powerful, I can't imagine he'd be any more fun (I mean, without turning him into a DP/MC blaster).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zhym said:

I have one character with both SS and SJ.  That character's concept is...well, I think it's really super, man. 

Heh, heh. I see what you did there, Private.:-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

2 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Heh, heh. I see what you did there, Private.:-)

Wait, I was wrong about that.  That character has Flight and Super Speed, of course.  Although SJ would work for a more old-school interpretation of that character.  Anyway, the Flight/SS combo works well, too.

Superjump is the travel power I most enjoy actually using, but for practical reasons my ranged characters usually go via Flight and my melee characters usually move via Speed of Sound/Jaunt.

Every once in a while I get an oddball build that can run both SJ and SoS, and I'm just a kid farting in the tub.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I have always taken SuperSpeed on every character I make, both for the movement and for an easily toggled one-power invisibility (just slot Celerity:Stealth).  Most of the time I also take Hasten from the pool as well.

After that, I usually add Fly (although Mystic Flight has replaced Fly because free teleport); unless it's a melee character, then I add SuperJump as I am also taking Combat Jump for defense and recharge mule.

But Speed always.

I don't have any preference that is independent of the character concept.  That's what determines my travel power.  And sometimes the character makes the most sense with no travel power other than Athletic Run and a purchased jet pack for when you need it.

Offhand, I think the single largest category of my characters would be those with no travel power.  I think the second largest group would be those with Flight since it is SUCH a classic superhero power and fits a lot of concepts.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Almost always superjump, it's what I really missed when I stopped playing coh, and mourned when it was gone.

I love jumping around. In fact, from playing years of league quake and making/playing Rocket Jump maps/vertical duel maps and then later on playing some games where it was a good tactic to constantly obscure my hitbox from invisible players looking to alpha-strike me, I can't stop jumping around in video games in general.

Also I have some permanent injuries and superjumping around is a good way of confirming that I'm still ok to play for awhile, in a cadence that's low-impact for me, basically if it hurts, everything else will hurt more, it's time to log. And when it doesn't hurt, I feel free, and continue jumping around to confirm that it's a good day.

But the main reason is that I just think it's neat.

I definitely aim toward making it work with my character concept. But if the build is really tight, sometimes that wins out of necessity which usually means super speed or super jump (given a build need for Hasten or Combat Jumping).

If the character concept or build doesnt push it any way, flight for convenience and I usually make an alternate costume with a jet pack and/or jet boots. 

16 hours ago, Rahimus said:

As the title says, what speed power group do you prefer? Superspeed, Jumping, or Flight?

I think you mean "travel power", so I'm going to answer based on that.

Flight seems the all around best travel power in every superhero video game that I've played.

For the ability to get where you need to go and the easy of stay out of range of enemies when outdoors and while traveling, flight simply can't be surpassed.

Most of my characters probably have some form of flight either through a power pool or P2W or the Traveler's Jet Pack from the Dimensional Explorer Day Job from parking (going off-line) in the Shadow Shard https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dimensional_Explorer_Badge

(NOTE:  https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Sorcery has flight - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Sorcery#Mystic_Flight that comes with a teleportation component as well.

I guess I am about a 50/50 split between Flight and Sorcery for flight travel powers.)

That being said, I'm a character conception player, and, though some kind of flight pack, hoverboard, or flying carpet can be an excused for most character conceptions, I do take other travel powers.

After flight, I have the most characters with some form of jumping.

It has become more or less flight with less control at this point.

(NOTE: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Force_of_Will has jumping - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Force_of_Will#Mighty_Leap that comes with a foot stomp that caused damage and increases jump speed and height for a short time.

I guess I am about a 50/50 split between Jumping and Force of Will for superleap travel powers.)

I only have a couple of characters with superspeed as a travel power.

I'm more likely to take superspeed for hasten only.

(NOTE: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Experimentation has a super speed travel power - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Experimentation#Speed_of_Sound that comes with a teleport component to add some vertical travel

I guess I am  probably less than 20/greater than 80 split between Superspeed and Experimentation for flight travel powers.)

I always back up super speed with a P2W flight power or the Traveler's Jet Pack from the Dimensional Explorer Day Job from parking (going off-line) in the Shadow Shard https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dimensional_Explorer_Badge  to add vertial travel ability.

You did leave out Teleportation.

I only have a couple of characters that that travel with teleport. I haven't tried it that much recently, but I hear it is much better than it has been - mostly due to the built-in aerial hang-time between teleports.

I often get Teleportation for https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Teleportation#Teleport_Target only regardless of travel power for a quick way to get teammates to my location - so maybe that counts as a travel power "for others".

(NOTE: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Sorcery#Mystic_Flight 

and https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Experimentation#Speed_of_Sound have a teleportation ability as well. Honestly, I think https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Sorcery#Mystic_Flight is a safer way to go if you want to go with teleportation as travel power.)

You may not know that there is a travel power in https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment#Infiltration isn't a "true" travel power, but I don't think it should be left out of a discussion about travel powers.

"You blend into your environment and swiftly make your way while attempting to stay undetected. Infiltration grants you a considerable boost to both your jump height and run speed. Even if discovered, you are hard to see and have a bonus to Defense from all attacks. If, however, you attack while using this power, you will be discovered and will lose your Stealth and Defense bonus provided by this power. Infiltration will not work with any other form of Concealment power such as Shadow Fall or Steamy Mist." - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment#Infiltration

I have a small handful of character with this travel power, but I probably more that have https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment#Infiltration 

than https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Teleportation#Teleport

I always back up this travel power with a P2W flight power or the Traveler's Jet Pack from the Dimensional Explorer Day Job from parking (going off-line) in the Shadow Shard https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dimensional_Explorer_Badge  . It is easy enough to have a valid excuse for a flight pack, rocket board, or flying carpet for a character that would take infiltration as a travel power.

• Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

21 hours ago, GM_GooglyMoogly said:

PS - I moved your topic from support to general as it is more of a general question vs needing some technical support.  You did nothing wrong, I'm just keeping things neurotically tidy!

Fine by me, I didn't even realize I put it in Technical Support until now lol.

So from what I gather, there are a LOT of answers to this one question alone, nevermind having to account for each individual power for different combinations of Primaries, Secondaries, and circumstances.

With all this in mind, I think I'll settle on Superspeed and Combat Jumping instead of my original plan of picking up Flight.

Just wanted to let all of you who replied know that I appreciate the comments here. 😄

• Moose 1

• City Council

Almost always Super Speed, partially because most characters are already going to be picking up Hasten anyways, and partially because it's just the least annoying to use on mission maps. Bonus points for being able to slot a Celerity: Stealth for a free almost-invis. If I have a spare power slot then I'll grab Super Jump to go with it.

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

4 hours ago, Rahimus said:

With all this in mind, I think I'll settle on Superspeed and Combat Jumping instead of my original plan of picking up Flight.

Make sure to slot a jump enhancement in Hurdle and Combat Jumping.  With a running start, you can leap an astonishing distance.

4 hours ago, Cipher said:

Almost always Super Speed, partially because most characters are already going to be picking up Hasten anyways,

You're one of those, eh?  "Everyone has to have Hasten!"  blargh.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Superjump now and forever. Once I learned how to lower my camera to see where I was going, super-hopping down hallways has just been the way to go. 

Ledge-jumping from building to building in Steel Canyon for height and then doing a multi-story swan dive to land right in front of the mission door is just so satisfying.

just my own 2 influence

Fkight is the easiest of the powers to master and use and the most versatile as it has the full range of 3D movement available to it and is my preferred power choice

leaping is probably the best overall in terms of combined speed and mobility and only loses one thing to flight in that once you go up you must inevitably still come back down still its speed is impressive and as long as you dont mind taking damage on landing or landing in bad spots its a good one

Super speed is solid very fast as the name suggests but only loses out in 2 regards 1 hard to control  and 2 no vertical component such as a wall run or the like  this can be countered of course by jet packs or other powers but the need to have a second power to counter what fly and tp and SJ do automatically does hurt it a bit

Teleport easily the least liked and most underestimated of the powers TP is the fastest IF used correctly and on par with SJ in controllability and tp can get you most anywhere you need to go.TP was also improved a few patches ago with a longer hover time between ports so one could reorientate oneself before tping again and the addition of a short ranged combat teleport 

all told if youre new to the game i reccomend flight or super jump depending on your characters fluff as theyre the easiest to learn and control but the others are worth a look

welcome to the game and well see you in the city

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

27 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

Ledge-jumping from building to building in Steel Canyon for height and then doing a multi-story swan dive to land right in front of the mission door is just so satisfying.

One of my favorite things to do with my higher level jumpers while waiting on a team or a TF in the LFG channel...  Leap from rooftop to rooftop in Bricks, from the train station north to the far end of the zone and back.  Mistime aborting your leap and dropping onto a roof top - and well, it's a long way down.  Next to speeders, jumpers get very familiar with geometry of a zone and what it allows/denies them.

And oh, yeah...  Dropping into the center of a group of mobs and hitting a PBAOE is kinda awesome and very superheroic.

Now, if only we had a cool landing pose...

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 1/10/2024 at 6:25 AM, Rahimus said:

As the title says, what speed power group do you prefer? Superspeed, Jumping, or Flight?

Flight is the one I prefer but out of my many Heroes/Villains I have used all of them.

Spines / Fire Brute - Fire Farmer - has the disk to get around (no travel powers)

Fire Fire Fire Dominator - magical flight

Machine gun - Devices - Teleport. 

My electric something something has superspeed. 

To be honest I think Superspeed is my least favorite. 

Edited by Cyrickain13

As well-noted, it's hard to beat flight for all the three-dimensional flexibility; there just aren't any obstacles and escaping nearly all foes in all situations is trivial. (Although the first time you get blasted on escape and face-plant from 300 feet...)

Jump, as noted, is just so damned much fun. Someone here has said more than once it's not just a travel power (almost as good as flight), but a mini-game in itself. You can amuse yourself for whole sessions just doing the cleanest Spidey/Hulk transits of a complicated zone.

My main alt (that guy up there) is a speeder, and while it has its limits and some obstacles take a second power to get around, the built in stealth is quite addictive.

But he's also a TPer, and while TP probably takes more skill, learning and care in use than the others, it's the true superhero travel power. IMVHO. You can't fit magical flight into every concept, but the combo of flight plus middling TP is a compact set of travel powers hard to beat.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com