Would you settle for a close, but not exact name?

FFFF

I had a concept from back in live  The DarkNStormy Knight.  Remade them the other day, name was taken, so I saved the look, and went to another server. 

So in answer to your question, if a name is taken, I will move to another universe to get it.

42 minutes ago, Know1 said:

I had a concept from back in live  The DarkNStormy Knight.  Remade them the other day, name was taken, so I saved the look, and went to another server. 

So in answer to your question, if a name is taken, I will move to another universe to get it.

There are times when I think there are no original ideas. Or rather ideas no one else have ever thought of. Behold your character from another universe (rather an alt I have on Everlasting).

image.png.b0cd4bfca34555c561e6b713f6aad315.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, a lot of mine lately have been ... name-names. That or me being a smartass and using just general wordplay... which I've done since live.  Rez Dispenser? Celery? Sweet Child o'Mimes? Rusty Muffler (created because someone said nobody would name a character that... so, name and backstory created...) Assume Reposition? (Mostly there for MSRs - Grav 'dom with Wormhole *and* fold space. And teleport target, yes.) Only the tip of the iceberg...

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Generally never have to, I almost never hit names that are already taken.  For instance, my two latest are Rabbitual Criminal and Cinerea Van Allen.  Finding a really good name (still not sure about Cinerea there) is part of the real fun for me.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 1/11/2024 at 4:53 PM, Glacier Peak said:

In the old days, you'd see character names like:

xxXxflameguyxXX

1fLAMEGUY

Flameguy_

F1am3gu7

I couldn't allow myself to do that. 

Same. I can't do it. I won't do it. You can't make me! I think it looks awful. 

To do so would reflect a total paucity of imagination.

If I can't get the name I require I choose an alternative or abandon the concept

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

17 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

Waaaaaaay back in closed beta, I tried to get Skyhawk and then Skyhawke as names, both were taken (Skyhawk was my original Hero Machine <remember that?> design) and ended up putting the hyphen in and Sky-Hawke was born. I have zero issue putting a hyphen in to get a name. If I can't do that, I come up with another name until one takes. 

I have used Hyphens too; I have a Hyper-Thermal.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

My very first toon on live was based on a GURPS Supers character I'd created years before (full on fire blaster) named Inferno. After trying millions (slight exaggeration) of iterations I gave up and tried On-Fire Dude (more as a joke than anything), and that's the name that stuck.
When I found Homecoming, that was again the first character I made.
As I played, I decided to make one of each archetype sticking, as much as possible, with the fire theme creating a plethora of alternate reality versions of my original concept. A Fire-Verse if you will.

Edited by On-Fire Dude
Adding something, fix typo.
  • Like 1

I had the name Sol Invictus on both Indomitable and Everlasting, but unfortunately it was taken on Excelsior where I have all my toons now, so he had to be Sol Invictos instead. It bothers me to no end!

21 minutes ago, Turric said:

I had the name Sol Invictus on both Indomitable and Everlasting, but unfortunately it was taken on Excelsior where I have all my toons now, so he had to be Sol Invictos instead. It bothers me to no end!

Ssssol Invictussss!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 1/13/2024 at 1:25 PM, Mopery said:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Wh@7'5 1n @ n@m3? 7h@7 wh1ch w3 c@|_|_ @ r053,
By @ny 07h3r2 w0rd w0u|_d 5m3|_|_ @5 5w337.
S0 120m30 w0u|_d — w3r3 h3 n07 120m30 c@|_|_3d —
1237@1n 7h@7 d3@r p3rf3c710n wh1ch h3 0w35
W17h0u7 7h@7 717|_3. 120m30, d0ff 7hy n@m3,
@nd f0r 7h@7 n@m3, wh1ch 15 n0 p@r7 0f 7h33,
7@k3 @|_|_ my53|_f.

Edited by Grouchybeast
Too legible

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I'd quite like to get my original Defiant-era DreamWeaver name back again.

But I've had Miss DreamWeaver, Dr. Amy Weaver and a couple of other variants.

Other than that, if I can't get the name I want, I'll come up with something original, or a workaround.

For example, I wanted to try a Flo Pugh fan toon DP/Devices.

Yelena Belova (and many spelling variants) were taken, as well as being lawyerbait.

But Agent Belova wasn't, or Agent Atwell for that matter.

I also like to see if folks can spot references or jokes in names or bios.

Like an ancient wise storm magician wanting to be known as Breaker Of The Winds, and unsure why people keep sniggering.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 1/11/2024 at 6:25 PM, FFFF said:

You get the idea. Probably the only one I might personally go for is B.l.o.o.d. Maybe some sort of android or robot which uses an acronym intentionally? The others are not acceptable to me at all. 

I don't go that route either.

I'm not doing the old school clan marks around a name either.

I don't settle for any old name. It has to fit my character conception, but I'm not going to not make a character because I have to try several names before I get one that fits the character (rarely is that the case - if I don't get the first time, I'll generally hit one within the first 3 attempts)

One gimmick you missed was the substitution of capital "i"s for lower case "L"'s vice-versa. these are both well hidden with the CoH's default font. For example BIood or lchabod - but change the font -  BIood or lchabod <--- not so obvious about the L for the I on Ichabod, but still, even so...

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:03 AM, lemming said:

Mr. <Name> and <Name> Lass (and the other variations like that)

are also often used.    (And with Mr., you can leave off the period)

Adding a color is a standard one as well.

I'm pretty sure the game will let you add any kind of descriptor in there you want as long as your character name doesn't start with "The "

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/14/2024 at 4:20 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Ssssol Invictussss!

My mind read that with the voice of the Pigs In Space announcer. 😄

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

For example, I wanted to try a Flo Pugh fan toon DP/Devices.

I also like to see if folks can spot references or jokes in names or bios.

Flow Pew Pew, NRG/NRG blaster, perhaps?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Maybe some sort of android or robot which uses an acronym intentionally?

Never gone that route. Though Agent Atwell does have a shield drone called C.O.U.L.S.O.N that she talks to occasionally.

(Hey devs - can we get /petsay for Gun and Shield Drones at some point?)

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

19 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Never gone that route. Though Agent Atwell does have a shield drone called C.O.U.L.S.O.N that she talks to occasionally.

(Hey devs - can we get /petsay for Gun and Shield Drones at some point?)

Well, that quote wasn't actually me, it was from the thread starting post by @FFFF

Edited by UltraAlt

Unless it's a meme toon, my name really needs to synch up with my bio/origin story.  On many occasions, I couldn't get the name I wanted and so did a complete bio/origin story rewrite to match the names I could actually obtain.  I'm never in favor of coming up with alternative spellings for the name I want unless it's compatible with the backstory and/or it's written that way in a different language.  I'll sometimes force-fit it and use names like "Redd" for "Red" and then change the bio so that the backstory includes references to that spelling (like referencing a fictional Redd Industries for a Tech origin character, as an example).  

If I'm being honest, I think less of the player behind the character when I see they "settled" on a near-spelling of the name, like "Rael Sooper."