City Mod Installer (Released)

• City Council
41 minutes ago, ElDestructo said:

I'm sorry but I don't see that link.  I looked in this thread and https://mods.cityofheroes.dev 

Go to the mods site you've got linked there, find the mod you want to update, click on the link for it to go to the mod page, you should see something like the attached image.  the "Manual Download: Install" link is what you want to click to download the .pigg.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
25 minutes ago, Akiceter said:

Trying to update my maps using City Mod Installer.

This is the error message I get when I try to update.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Games\Homecoming\assets\mods\' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at CoHModdingTool.CoHModderMainForm.uninstallBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9181.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
CoHModdingTool
    Assembly Version: 1.1.8802.29288
    Win32 Version: 1.1.8802.29288
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/joshb/Downloads/CityModInstaller/CoHModdingTool.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.8.9032.0 built by: NET481REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9181.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9220.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9032.0 built by: NET481REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9220.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9214.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Data.SQLite
    Assembly Version: 1.0.116.0
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.8.9214.0 built by: NET481REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
AutoUpdater.NET
    Assembly Version: 1.6.0.0
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.mshtml
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll
BetterFolderBrowser
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.0

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I moved your post into the thread for the mod installer.
The error message states "Access to the path 'C:\Games\Homecoming\assets\mods\' is denied." Something is denying write access to that path, either permissions, Antivirus, or... cosmic entity.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Michiyo said:

I moved your post into the thread for the mod installer.
The error message states "Access to the path 'C:\Games\Homecoming\assets\mods\' is denied." Something is denying write access to that path, either permissions, Antivirus, or... cosmic entity.

Thanks for the help. I notice the file are read only. I tried to undo it but it turns back on.

• Michiyo changed the title to City Mod Installer (Released)
  • Michiyo pinned this topic

Yeah, having the same issue as Akiceter notes above. My assets\mods\ folder is marked read only, as is the assets folder. Unchecking read only doesn't appear to have any effect.

And even though the installer says the mods were installed, the assets\mods folder still shows files dated 2023-08-21, when I presumably last installed mods.

Also tried manual download for vidiotmaps and badge pop menu, manually copied them into the assets\mods folder, but somehow it's still using older maps. Not sure where it's getting them from.

Edited by ZekeStenzland
after some further investigation

I'm getting the Access Denied error as well after updating to 1.1.8802.29288.  When I click install, it says success, but doesn't install the mod, and if I click uninstall it gets a JIT error: Access to the path is denied.  I have also Ran as Administrator, and still get the error.

In case it matters (usually doesn't for JIT errors, but you never know)

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\Homecoming\assets\mods\' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at CoHModdingTool.CoHModderMainForm.uninstallBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

5 hours ago, ZekeStenzland said:

somehow it's still using older maps. Not sure where it's getting them from.

Offhand that sounds to me like you might still have an old installation in your data folder. Those will need to be deleted before you can see the updated version, because mods in the data folder will overwrite mods in the assets/mods folder. City Mod Installer should warn you if that is the case, but if you want to double-check, you can visit the vidiotmaps thread and the badge list popmenu thread and in the top post of each, there is a section that covers removal/deletion of old installations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also getting the "Access to the path is denied" error when I try to uninstall mods.  I've filled out the in mod support tool, but wanted to post here just in case.  I wasn't having any trouble before yesterday, and I didn't add, remove or update anything on the computer prior to trying to uninstall a mod through the installer, resulting in this error.  I have since deleted the Avast software from the computer. thinking somehow it decided to start blocking it randomly, and my windows antivirus has been disabled since I got the computer but the error persists.  Thank you for any help.

2024-02-22.png

• City Council
17 hours ago, Akiceter said:

Thanks for the help. I notice the file are read only. I tried to undo it but it turns back on.

7 hours ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Yeah, having the same issue as Akiceter notes above. My assets\mods\ folder is marked read only, as is the assets folder. Unchecking read only doesn't appear to have any effect.

And even though the installer says the mods were installed, the assets\mods folder still shows files dated 2023-08-21, when I presumably last installed mods.

Also tried manual download for vidiotmaps and badge pop menu, manually copied them into the assets\mods folder, but somehow it's still using older maps. Not sure where it's getting them from.

Something to note here, the "Read Only" checkbox on folders has not worked since... Windows XP Microsoft Support Link However: "Note Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs."  So the Read Only attribute is ignored, and the checkbox is useless on folders.

Now with that out of the way, I THINK I may see what the issue is, however I have NO idea why this would suddenly stop working... I'll take a look on my end and report when I've figured it out.

AAAAAND 30 seconds later, the issue should be fixed.  You'll have to remove any mods you've installed OR updated since yesterday, and reinstall them.  This happened because I was getting ready to change how the installer loaded mod data, and inadvertently broke the XML it produced.

• Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, Michiyo said:

AAAAAND 30 seconds later, the issue should be fixed.  You'll have to remove any mods you've installed OR updated since yesterday, and reinstall them.  This happened because I was getting ready to change how the installer loaded mod data, and inadvertently broke the XML it produced.

Confirmed working now. 😄

No update to the Mod Installer was made on my end, from what I can tell; still running same version from this morning.

Thanks, Michiyo! ♥️

• City Council
1 hour ago, Cyclone Jack said:

Confirmed working now. 😄

No update to the Mod Installer was made on my end, from what I can tell; still running same version from this morning.

Thanks, Michiyo! ♥️

Correct, the fix was 100% server sided. I added a feature for the next version of the tool... in my production environment for easier testing as my dev environment  is tied up.  Not realizing this would break production ._.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, I did have 2 other mods installed besides vidiotmaps and badge popmenu, which I did not update, so that somewhat confirmed Michiyo's thoughts.

Attempt 1: Launched ModInstaller, uninstalled everything, exited. Launched ModInstaller, reinstalled everything. Did not get any Access Denied errors this time. (Michiyo for the win!) Exited ModInstaller. Launched CoH. Still have old map and old badge menu. Exited CoH.

Attempt 2: Launched ModInstaller, uninstalled everything, exited. Launched ModInstaller, turned on "DO NOT check for existing data overrides" (I'd forgotten I had turned that off while trying to diagnose stuff), reinstalled everything. Again, no Access Denied errors. Exited ModInstaller. Launched CoH. Still have old map and old badge menu. Exited CoH.

Attempt 3: Launched ModInstaller, uninstalled everything. Exited ModInstaller. Launched CoH. Still have old map and old badge menu. Exited CoH. Sigh. But that does point to having mods installed the old school way.

Attempt 4: Follow the instructions for manually deleting legacy vidiotmap and badge popmenu installs. Hard to tell with vidiotmaps, but I had definitely had a popmenu badge menu and a renamed older popmenu badge menu under the data folder. Launched CoH. I have vanilla maps! I have no badge popmenu! That was definitely a thing. Exited CoH.

Attempt 4.5: Launched ModInstaller, reinstalled everything. Still not get any Access Denied errors. Exited ModInstaller. Launch CoH. I have new vidiotmaps! I have new badge popmenu! (AboveTheChemist also for the win!)

/em happydance!

Thanks a ton to both Michiyo and AboveTheChemist for your help.

Edited by ZekeStenzland
  • Like 1

• City Council

The access denied errors were fixed when I posted the edit to this post

Any mods installed or updated between yesterday and today before I posted that would have been broken, and wouldn't have actually downloaded the file.  This would have required uninstalling the mod via the tool, and reinstalling, as I said in that edit.

• City Council
4 minutes ago, Cyclone Jack said:

Said every programmer ever... 🤣

*myself included

"Everybody has a testing environment. Some people are lucky enough enough to have a totally separate environment to run production in."

So my laptop is somewhat ancient, running Windows 7 and I keep getting an error regarding my .NET framework installation - I updated to 4.8, but I get an error because I don't have version 4.0.x, and trying to install the 4.0.x version fails with an error because my Windows 7 isn't up to date, but I can't update Windows 7 because it's no longer supported.

It seems like I won't be able to use mods on this machine, and it's a major bummer :(

3 hours ago, Orodil said:

It seems like I won't be able to use mods on this machine, and it's a major bummer 😞

While City Mod Installer is by far the simplest installation method, mods can still be installed manually. It's a bit more complicated to do so, but not out of the realm of possibility. For example, if you want to use the vidiotmaps mod, you can go to the vidiotmaps thread at this link and read the top section on installation. There are manual install instructions in there. If you feel comfortable following those instructions, you should be able to manually install most mods. There are several steps (like creating the 'mods' folder and updating your launch parameters) that are one-time steps, so adding mods after the first one should be as simple as downloading a file into the proper folder.

Every mod available in City Mod Installer is available as a manual download from the City Mod website. Just go to https://mods.cityofheroes.dev/, click on the mod you want, and look for the link beside 'Manual Download:'.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for this, but I have a request for anyone that might be able to help me.  The force field and sonic bubbles give me terrible headaches...an sg mate on live "fixed" it for me about 18 years ago, and I totally forgot it was even a problem until I installed the City Mod Installer a few days ago, and deleted my old data folder with the "fix" in it.  Would it be possible for anyone here to help tone down the graphics for these powersets for me?  I have no idea what was done, but basically the bubbles were much more see through without all the wavy lines.  Thanks for any help anyone can give, these graphics almost make the game unplayable. 

I got modder running on my machine.  I was having trouble getting new mods to run.  I install them but not see them in the game.  I changed the path in launcher and now I get an error. 

They only mod I got to work is Vidiomaps and ATC Badge Set List popmenu.  I installed those manually before I got modder to work but they only work when the path back to /assets/mods on my launcher.

When I install or uninstall a mod using modder I see the files go into the mods directly. 

In Summary:

-- Vidiomaps and ATC badge List work with manual install and path set to -assetpath /assets/mods but new mods do not work/display in game (Manually installed or using modder)

-- Application fails to load and I get an error that file may be corrupt when path is set to -assetpath /Applications/coh/assest/mods/ (clearly the path it pointing to the correct directory)

-- Game loads 

NOW for the curveball.....  When I delete all the .pigg files from the mods directory and then search for them to confirm there are no copies in any subfolders of coh both vidiotmaps and Badge Set List still work.

Any ideas?  I should mention I am running on a mac :( but it seems like it is finding the files but erroring out on loading them.    I understand if you can't help due to running on a mac but it seems like I am close and it is something in the application.   

Thanks!

================

This is the error:

/Applications/coh/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Error opening pig file-1

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

===============

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.09.35 PM.png

• City Council
Just now, ElDestructo said:

I got modder running on my machine.  I was having trouble getting new mods to run.  I install them but not see them in the game.  I changed the path in launcher and now I get an error. 

They only mod I got to work is Vidiomaps and ATC Badge Set List popmenu.  I installed those manually before I got modder to work but they only work when the path back to /assets/mods on my launcher.

When I install or uninstall a mod using modder I see the files go into the mods directly. 

In Summary:

-- Vidiomaps and ATC badge List work with manual install and path set to -assetpath /assets/mods but new mods do not work/display in game (Manually installed or using modder)

-- Application fails to load and I get an error that file may be corrupt when path is set to -assetpath /Applications/coh/assest/mods/ (clearly the path it pointing to the correct directory)

-- Game loads 

NOW for the curveball.....  When I delete all the .pigg files from the mods directory and then search for them to confirm there are no copies in any subfolders of coh both vidiotmaps and Badge Set List still work.

Any ideas?  I should mention I am running on a mac 😞 but it seems like it is finding the files but erroring out on loading them.    I understand if you can't help due to running on a mac but it seems like I am close and it is something in the application.   

Thanks!

================

This is the error:

/Applications/coh/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Error opening pig file-1

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

===============

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.09.35 PM.png

You have Vidiot Maps / the popmenu installed into the Data directory as loose files, which is why they work when the .piggs are removed.  You'll need to rename / remove the data directory.  As for your error, something is blocking the download / write of the .pigg files to the directory, I currently have no way to support Mac OS, (Also, the launch parameter should only need to be -assetpath assets\mods)

I'm assuming there is some permissions error writing the file out to the path, but again, I have no idea how to fix that with MacOS / Wine.

• Like 1

OK.  That makes sense on the data directory.  Once I poked around it refreshed my memory, dropping the vidiomaps folders into it data directory. I also found the .mnu file.  :)  I'll poke around on the permissions.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

• 3 weeks later
On 10/13/2022 at 12:18 AM, lemming said:

Very cool.  And I can confirm it ran on my Linux system.

I'm curious how. On Ubuntu 23.10 I start winetrix, select the default 64-bit env, then run explorer, which allows me to run the homecoming installer, launch the game, etc.

When I do the same for city modder it seems to silently crash (nothing happens)

1 hour ago, chuckv2 said:

I'm curious how. On Ubuntu 23.10 I start winetrix, select the default 64-bit env, then run explorer, which allows me to run the homecoming installer, launch the game, etc.

When I do the same for city modder it seems to silently crash (nothing happens)

Not sure, I did install MS Net 4.8 via winetricks

On 2/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, doggirl said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for this, but I have a request for anyone that might be able to help me.  The force field and sonic bubbles give me terrible headaches...an sg mate on live "fixed" it for me about 18 years ago, and I totally forgot it was even a problem until I installed the City Mod Installer a few days ago, and deleted my old data folder with the "fix" in it.  Would it be possible for anyone here to help tone down the graphics for these powersets for me?  I have no idea what was done, but basically the bubbles were much more see through without all the wavy lines.  Thanks for any help anyone can give, these graphics almost make the game unplayable. 

Check the trashcan, if you haven't cleaned it, it should have the folder in it.