City Mod Installer (Released)

On 5/12/2023 at 9:12 PM, Michiyo said:

Tools -> Create Mod.
You give it a name for the resulting .pigg file, you give it the data directory (outside of your City install), and hit "Build"  It will then package your data directory up as a .pigg in the same directory as the provided data directory.

You can't use the data directory in the install location, to make sure you're only packing the specific files for your mod.

I'm struggling to follow these instructions - maybe I'm stupid. What do you mean by "outside my City install" please? 
I have Homecoming - City of Heroes\data\ 

... but that's my game install.

I have a folder now with three replacement sound effects :

ForceField5_loop.ogg

Hasten2.ogg

Run5.ogg

I can put them in my Homecoming - City of Heroes\data\sound\ogg\powers folder and they'll overwrite the game files when I run the game. I have a bunch of other stuff in my data folder that I don't want in this mod.

Do I remove all my other stuff and then tell the website my game data folder? It then copies what's in my data folder and makes it a mod?

Then I copy all my other stuff back in afterwards?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• City Council
15 minutes ago, Herotu said:

I'm struggling to follow these instructions - maybe I'm stupid. What do you mean by "outside my City install" please? 
I have Homecoming - City of Heroes\data\ 

... but that's my game install.

I have a folder now with three replacement sound effects :

ForceField5_loop.ogg

Hasten2.ogg

Run5.ogg

I can put them in my Homecoming - City of Heroes\data\sound\ogg\powers folder and they'll overwrite the game files when I run the game. I have a bunch of other stuff in my data folder that I don't want in this mod.

Do I remove all my other stuff and then tell the website my game data folder? It then copies what's in my data folder and makes it a mod?

Then I copy all my other stuff back in afterwards?

Outside of it, as in, not inside it.

Any directory *NOT WITHIN* your install directory.

If your install directory is c:\games\Homecoming, then the data directory you are using to build your mod CAN NOT be within that directory.

The idea here is to make 100% sure you are not including anything other than what you want in the archive.  If you have anything else in your data directory, and you point it at that directory it's going to package everything.  You can test your mod as usual via the data directory in your install, but to actually package it and distribute it you need to make a clear folder structure with JUST your files elsewhere.

Edited by Michiyo

On 5/24/2023 at 10:07 PM, Michiyo said:

Outside of it, as in, not inside it.

Any directory *NOT WITHIN* your install directory.

If your install directory is c:\games\Homecoming, then the data directory you are using to build your mod CAN NOT be within that directory.

The idea here is to make 100% sure you are not including anything other than what you want in the archive.  If you have anything else in your data directory, and you point it at that directory it's going to package everything.  You can test your mod as usual via the data directory in your install, but to actually package it and distribute it you need to make a clear folder structure with JUST your files elsewhere.

Got it, thanks a lot! 😄

I want to quickly document the process because it wasn't clear to me.

1. Make your mod. Test it in your game's data folder (the one you had to make manually).

2. Make a new folder called data somewhere on your hard drive (such as C:\Homecoming_Mods (don't have spaces in the name)).

3. Put your mod in the correct folder structure inside the data folder. (e.g. C:\Homecoming_Mods\data\sound\ogg\powers). 

4. Open the Mod Manager and go to Tools -> Create mod.

5. Put a name in the box and click the Browse button - find the data folder you just created.
6. Click BUILD. This will put a PIGG file in the folder which contains your data folder (in our example that's your C:\Homecoming_Mods folder).

*see below

7. Log into the website: https://mods.cityofheroes.dev/
8. Click Upload Mod.

9. Fill in the fields.

10. Click Choose Files, select the PIGG file you just created.

11. SUBMIT! 

12. You probably want to delete the data folder you created or it's contents or move it somewhere else before working on another mod.

That's it!
Thank Michiyo for their hard work!

11.5 If the website produces an error when you click Submit, navigate to your mod again, click [edit], Choose Files again and Submit again. This was wrong.

*6.1 It might not be a bad idea to remove the 'test' version from one's <CoH install>\data folder (as mentioned in step 1), and

6.2 Copy the newly-created PIGG file to one's <CoH install>\assets\mods folder
6.3 Verify the mod works in-game before uploading it to the City Modder website.
Thanks to @AboveTheChemist

Edited by Herotu
  • Thumbs Up 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:36 AM, Michiyo said:

And in HC Launcher that's here:
image.thumb.png.5ccf9f6b1e02b217eaac9199c1126cc6.png

Anyone know how they added more profiles to the Homecoming launcher? That would be super helpful for multiple accounts on HC. I could leave my main with fancy graphics and my alt with everything pretty much turned off.

• City Council
Just now, CoHGeek5 said:

Anyone know how they added more profiles to the Homecoming launcher? That would be super helpful for multiple accounts on HC. I could leave my main with fancy graphics and my alt with everything pretty much turned off.

Those are various servers that I have access to because I help the Dev team at times.  There is no way to add extra profiles, currently.

• City Council
On 5/24/2023 at 2:53 PM, Herotu said:

Got it, thanks a lot! 😄

I want to quickly document the process because it wasn't clear to me.

1. Make your mod. Test it in your game's data folder (the one you had to make manually).

2. Make a new folder called data somewhere on your hard drive (such as C:\Homecoming_Mods (don't have spaces in the name)).

3. Put your mod in the correct folder structure inside the data folder. (e.g. C:\Homecoming_Mods\data\sound\ogg\powers).

4. Open the Mod Manager and go to Tools -> Create mod.

5. Put a name in the box and click the Browse button - find the data folder you just created.
6. Click BUILD. This will put a PIGG file in the folder which contains your data folder (in our example that's your C:\Homecoming_Mods folder).

8. Click Upload Mod.

9. Fill in the fields.

10. Click Choose Files, select the PIGG file you just created.

11. SUBMIT! 

12. You probably want to delete the data folder you created or it's contents or move it somewhere else before working on another mod.

That's it!
Thank Michiyo for their hard work!

11.5 If the website produces an error when you click Submit, navigate to your mod again, click [edit], Choose Files again and Submit again.

Awesome thanks for the write up.  Curious what error did you get to prompt step 11.5?

2 hours ago, Michiyo said:

Awesome thanks for the write up.  Curious what error did you get to prompt step 11.5?

I can't remember.
But now I have an excuse to make another mod ... hmm, what shall it be?! 

Edited by Herotu

On 5/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, Herotu said:

I can't remember.
But now I have an excuse to make another mod ... hmm, what shall it be?! 

I think some cities could have a random superhero theme for it. And Croatoa and Dark Astoria could have a better horror theme for it.

Just a suggestion.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:25 PM, Michiyo said:

It's not an error, it's me being stupid. Look - it LOOKS like an error message, but it's not.

image.thumb.png.b06803cd0d1a82077a624a472ee4c256.png

Edited by Herotu

• City Council
2 hours ago, Herotu said:

It's not an error, it's me being stupid. Look - it LOOKS like an error message, but it's not.

image.thumb.png.b06803cd0d1a82077a624a472ee4c256.png

Ahh, I had left some debugging code in the upload page.  I've removed it thanks!

On 5/24/2023 at 5:53 PM, Herotu said:

8. Click Upload Mod.

You may want to add that somewhere between steps 6 and 8, it might not be a bad idea to remove the 'test' version from one's <CoH install>\data folder (as mentioned in step 1), and to then copy the newly-created PIGG file to one's <CoH install>\assets\mods folder to verify the mod works in-game before uploading it to the City Modder website.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

You may want to add that somewhere between steps 6 and 8, it might not be a bad idea to remove the 'test' version from one's <CoH install>\data folder (as mentioned in step 1), and to then copy the newly-created PIGG file to one's <CoH install>\assets\mods folder to verify the mod works in-game before uploading it to the City Modder website.

I had no idea where the new mods lived tbh. I like the simpler version. Maybe just putting your new information on the bottom might be enough? Do you think?
Not to be rude, but my initial response was, "Verify it works" - pah! Laughable! 

• 3 weeks later
  • City Council

Heads up! I've had to take the webserver down for some work, I'm not sure on an ETA, but I'll get it back up ASAP.  Your currently installed mods will continue to work fine, but you will be unable to manage installed mods, or install new ones until the server is restored.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Michiyo said:

Heads up! I've had to take the webserver down for some work, I'm not sure on an ETA, but I'll get it back up ASAP.  Your currently installed mods will continue to work fine, but you will be unable to manage installed mods, or install new ones until the server is restored.

That 'splanes it.

Mod Installer is timing-out trying to talk to the mother ship.

Michiyo must've tripped over the extension cord.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, johng99 said:

That 'splanes it.

Mod Installer is timing-out trying to talk to the mother ship.

Michiyo must've tripped over the extension cord.

Ok, it was a LAN cable, same thing.
Actually, we love the mod installer, and you're doing a great job.  Thanks.

New computer old desktop computer cloned to new desktop, just files, not the programs.  This happens when I try to install Vidiots using the CoH Modding Tool.  Here's the error I get:

c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Fileheader extends past end of .pigg, probably corrupt .pigg file!  #63

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

When I uninstall Vidiots, it works fine, when I install Vidiots it gives me the above error and won't start the game.  I followed the instructions of course, but I'm obviously missing something.

Got it fixed.  Carry on.  I was not adding Vidiots to the HC Launcher, just the mod above it.

Edited by Goldengod

• City Council
18 minutes ago, Goldengod said:

New computer old desktop computer cloned to new desktop, just files, not the programs.  This happens when I try to install Vidiots using the CoH Modding Tool.  Here's the error I get:

c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Fileheader extends past end of .pigg, probably corrupt .pigg file!  #63

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

When I uninstall Vidiots, it works fine, when I install Vidiots it gives me the above error and won't start the game.  I followed the instructions of course, but I'm obviously missing something.

Got it fixed.  Carry on.  I was not adding Vidiots to the HC Launcher, just the mod above it.

Navigate to c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/, and check the size of the hc_vidiotmaps.pigg, it should be 54,093 KB, or 52.8 MB.  If it's not that size then something is likely interrupting the download, either AV, or a proxy or something.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later

Clearly I'm doing something stupidly wrong.

Set up the Mod Installer, AFAICT according to instructions. Set the asset/mods path in the HC launcher. DLed and installed the BadgeSetMenu mod, and the Vidiots Maps (after removing the Data folder for the old manual version). Clicked 'add to launcher'.

The .piggs are appearing in the assets/mods folder...but nothing has changed in game. No popmenu when using the slash command, and no maps.

Help?  Miew?

...And now, suddenly, it's working. Unsure what changed, but...yay!?

Edited by nowherewoman
Change of situation.
  • Thumbs Up 2

What am I missing?  I recently reinstalled COH & have been re-learning the game, (played for many years from the start until the apocalypse).  Saw this Modder program & wanted to grab vidiotmaps and some of the new mods, but can't seem to get it working.  I have installed the \COH Modder program folder alongside the \Homecoming folder in C:\Games, but get not response on the .exe file when I try to activate it.  I've tried running as admin, even tried compatibility modes, but no difference.  My Antivirus and Windows Defender don't seem to have a problem with it.  My machine is a little older, but still way beyond what should be needed.  Any ideas out there?

• City Council
18 hours ago, Bowan said:

What am I missing?  I recently reinstalled COH & have been re-learning the game, (played for many years from the start until the apocalypse).  Saw this Modder program & wanted to grab vidiotmaps and some of the new mods, but can't seem to get it working.  I have installed the \COH Modder program folder alongside the \Homecoming folder in C:\Games, but get not response on the .exe file when I try to activate it.  I've tried running as admin, even tried compatibility modes, but no difference.  My Antivirus and Windows Defender don't seem to have a problem with it.  My machine is a little older, but still way beyond what should be needed.  Any ideas out there?

How old are we talking here?  This should run with no issue on Windows 7+ I've not tested on anything older.

System should not be an issue, it's only 4-5 years old: specifically, WIndows 10, 8 core I7-10700k cpu with 32gb and an NVidia GTX 1080.  I can multibox CoH easily & run most recent games, so I can't figure out what's up with this.  The Task Manager shows it startup, then just shut down, no error message, no notes on thew firewall or antivirus.  just a no-go.

Edited by Bowan

• City Council
55 minutes ago, Bowan said:

System should not be an issue, it's only 4-5 years old: specifically, WIndows 10, 8 core I7-10700k cpu with 32gb and an NVidia GTX 1080.  I can multibox CoH easily & run most recent games, so I can't figure out what's up with this.  The Task Manager shows it startup, then just shut down, no error message, no notes on thew firewall or antivirus.  just a no-go.

The only thing I can think of is some odd permissions issue.  I don't recommend installing in the game's directory, unzip the zip in your Downloads directory as a test, and run the exe from there, and see if that makes any difference.   If you're in the HC Discord you can also ping me @Michiyo there.

Edited by Michiyo

26 minutes ago, Michiyo said:

The only thing I can think of is some odd permissions issue.  I don't recommend installing in the game's directory, unzip the zip in your Downloads directory as a test, and run the exe from there, and see if that makes any difference.   If you're in the HC Discord you can also ping me @Michiyo there.

Yeah. I've tried running from different drives & locations.  I'm stumped.  Guess I will be playing without mods.

On 7/28/2023 at 1:00 AM, Bowan said:

I had an antivirus that didn't SEEM to have a problem with something, then I went to the exceptions and put it in there and it worked. 

Try putting it as an exception or whitelist it (depending on the antivirus).

On 7/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, Herotu said:

I had an antivirus that didn't SEEM to have a problem with something, then I went to the exceptions and put it in there and it worked. 

Try putting it as an exception or whitelist it (depending on the antivirus).

Good idea.  Even though I had no red flags on it, I tried whitelisting it, still no sugar.  Thanks for the response though.