City Mod Installer (Released)

• City Council
9 hours ago, Healix said:

It needs to be added to Your CoH folder, then add a command to your launcher   -assetpath assets\mods

PxlHK1g.jpg

Putting the mod installer in the CoH folder isn't required, but lots of folks do it.  I run mine directly from Downloads\CItyModInstaller, unless I'm running an indev build.

19 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

So. I just tried installing this, and am not having much success; I have no self-confidence that I know what I'm doing, and

I am terrified I will FUBAR everything if I keep trying to do it on my own. Could someone please walk me through this?

So far, I've downloaded the thing from OP, Unzipped it to its own subfolder in my Downloads folder, tried to run COHModdingTool.exe,

and...that's where I'm now stuck, as it has ceased to resemble what OP's instructions say ought to happen.

I'd need to know exactly what you're seeing to troubleshoot, with screenshots if possible.  Modern Windows ships with the "Snipping Tool" which you can use to capture specific areas of your desktop.  Are you getting any errors? Does the UI never load?  Let me know and I'll do my best to help!

On 12/4/2023 at 12:25 PM, Michiyo said:

Putting the mod installer in the CoH folder isn't required, but lots of folks do it.  I run mine directly from Downloads\CItyModInstaller, unless I'm running an indev build.

Yeah, so that's problem #1: I cannot seem to find my "CoH folder".

On 12/4/2023 at 12:25 PM, Michiyo said:

I'd need to know exactly what you're seeing to troubleshoot, with screenshots if possible.  Modern Windows ships with the "Snipping Tool" which you can use to capture specific areas of your desktop.  Are you getting any errors? Does the UI never load?  Let me know and I'll do my best to help!

I use Windows 7, I don't know if that's good enough to count as "Modern Windows"?

I'm not getting any "errors", per se, at least none the computer itself labels as such.

I'll try to DM/PM/"/t"/whatever those are called around here you where I'm stuck.

Sorry for the lagging reply, BTW.

Edited by AspieAnarchy

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

• City Council
6 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Yeah, so that's problem #1: I cannot seem to find my "CoH folder".

I use Windows 7, I don't know if that's good enough to count as "Modern Windows"?

I'm not getting any "errors", per se, at least none the computer itself labels as such.

I'll try to DM/PM/"/t"/whatever those are called around here you where I'm stuck.

Sorry for the lagging reply, BTW.

I've replied to your DM

On 12/8/2023 at 9:18 AM, Perfect Square said:

Is there any downside to installing a large number of Mods?

I have no idea if there are potential performance issues associated with installing a large number of mods, but one potential downside one might run into is that some mods may overwrite one another if they mod the same aspect of the game. I have several map mods available via the installer that have maps in common, so you'll run into that issue if you install all my map mods. I try to explain that up front but some folks still seem surprised when, for example, their vidiotmap for Atlas Park is different after they install my winter event maps.

• City Council
49 minutes ago, Kabal said:

Trying to download from the site. Clicking the "Download the Mod Installer" button opens a blank page, but nothing happens. Are there any other ways to get the installer?

The download link should be working once again.

• Thanks 1

Latest iteration of Vidiotmaps for Homecoming crashes the game on startup.

c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Fileheader extends past end of .pigg, probably corrupt .pigg file!  #106

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

Verifying files or completely reinstalling the game do not resolve the issue.

• City Council
7 hours ago, Blood Speaker said:

Latest iteration of Vidiotmaps for Homecoming crashes the game on startup.

c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Fileheader extends past end of .pigg, probably corrupt .pigg file!  #106

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

Verifying files or completely reinstalling the game do not resolve the issue.

Verifying files will only work for files that the launcher installs.  Usually this is caused by something blocking the mod installer from fully downloading the file.  Uninstall the mod via the Mod Installer, verify the game launches, if not remove the .pigg file from assets/mods, and try installing it again.  The .pigg should be 54,093 KB, if it is any other size check for any security software that might be interfering.

5 hours ago, Michiyo said:

Verifying files will only work for files that the launcher installs.  Usually this is caused by something blocking the mod installer from fully downloading the file.  Uninstall the mod via the Mod Installer, verify the game launches, if not remove the .pigg file from assets/mods, and try installing it again.  The .pigg should be 54,093 KB, if it is any other size check for any security software that might be interfering.

Will have a look when I'm... more conscious... 

Chronic insomnia makes trouble-shooting hard. 😛

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Vidiotmaps for Homecoming as of today.  Updated the modder as well.  Neither Cimerora nor the Badgelist are updating for the new zone (staying on the rotated, two badge zone).  Any help would be appreciated.
Windows 11, Homecoming Launcher, Excelsior.

image.png.941ea7a07677437504a306f17e1cc119.png

• City Council
10 minutes ago, NiCad said:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Vidiotmaps for Homecoming as of today.  Updated the modder as well.  Neither Cimerora nor the Badgelist are updating for the new zone (staying on the rotated, two badge zone).  Any help would be appreciated.
Windows 11, Homecoming Launcher, Excelsior.

image.png.941ea7a07677437504a306f17e1cc119.png

Make sure to grab the latest update (Should happen on your next launch) and submit a support bundle via Tools -> Upload Support Bundle please.

• City Council
On 12/28/2023 at 1:03 PM, NiCad said:

Done.  Under NiCad.  Thank you!

You've disabled the data folder check, and have a full install of the old Vidiot Maps in your data directory, remove MAPS, P_MAPS, and V_MAPS from \data\texture_library\  As well as anything else in the data directory that you may also be installing mods via the installer.

image.png

• City Council
9 minutes ago, Plasmic Rage said:

I've loaded the modding tool and tried to install the vidiots map, but all I get is an empty modding tool. (I also get unhandled exception errors leading up to this and click continue through them.)

What am I missing?

image.thumb.png.21e230dbc99d160f0b4261fb6e0054ea.png

Something on your end is blocking the program from reaching out to the website to get the mod list.  Usual suspects are Antivirus, or overly paranoid firewall/internet security suites

On 12/29/2023 at 4:55 PM, Michiyo said:

You've disabled the data folder check, and have a full install of the old Vidiot Maps in your data directory, remove MAPS, P_MAPS, and V_MAPS from \data\texture_library\  As well as anything else in the data directory that you may also be installing mods via the installer.

image.png

Thank you.  I deleted those folders and enabled the folder check.  Everything seems to be working well - Thank you, and happy new year!

After years of trying to get this thing to work, I finally did it. Whenever I tried to install this to the launcher, the mod tool could not find the installer. It turns out I had three different CoH files on my D drive. Combined em all and voila! It works. Lightsaber sounds! Vidiot maps works! However, Echo: Dark Astoria seems to have not received the updated memo. Even with that, this 'ol guy is happy.