Should the Devs (if possible) remove the blue caves from the game?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

*Lawyer Voice*: Has this ever happened to you? You press forward but you're stuck against a wall? Then you press left and you're against a wall? And you finally just look at the map and use that to navigate instead of your eyes? Have you experienced the frustration of that 5 or 6 floored cavern where nothing makes sense and that last minion is hidden who knows where? Do you ever wish that you could never be in the blue cave map ever again?

I'd like to know. Please keep things civil in all discussions folks.

I voted no.  We need something that makes the office building mazes bearable by comparison.  :P

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief

Honestly? I have more trouble moving through Council caves than the blue/brown mine caverns. (Those maps tend to be a different color red-side. Same design, though.) All those &*^%$# pipes to get stuck behind? And then there are the hard-to-even-see-where-the-passages-are Arachnoid caves... I've shaken a tiny fist a those many times, too.

I'd never ask for any of them to be removed from the game, though. Likewise the Oranbegan maps that so many people hate. (I love those, myself, but I fully admit to being biased there. XD) I just tend to feel like navigation troubles are more about my own lack of coordination and my monitor settings than flaws in the map designs.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

If you can handle the Oranbega-style maps and their teleporters then these blue caves are nothing, and even those maps have nothing on the Arachnos dig site tunnels, where you don't even have an actual tunnel map and just have to wander around using nothing but a waypoint as your guide.

I say keep the caves.

I don't mind the blue caves too much. they're annoying if an enemy is hiding well but some missions are just annoying. should be noted though that giving examples of other annoying maps isn't an argument against the OP :D

Really though if we could just get a minimal fx barrier i'd have no issue with caves at all.

I don't mind the blue caves too much. they're annoying if an enemy is hiding well but some missions are just annoying. should be noted though that giving examples of other annoying maps isn't an argument against the OP :D

Really though if we could just get a minimal fx barrier i'd have no issue with caves at all.

No, but it is an illustration of how common awkward maps are in the game... and a fairly gentle reminder that if we start down the road of "I don't like this. Let's get rid of it!" we may be looking at a hole with no bottom.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I don't mind the caves other than the cake room. They need to be bigger though, some of the larger toons literally don't fit. Make them roomier and have more bad guys (going through 2/3 of the map to get to the second group of bad guys then only having like four other groups is just annoying and frustrating). The base caves are not nearly as annoying except for that giant room with all the levels where that one last group is hiding and you spend 20 minutes looking for them. I like challenges in the game and maps but when it is just a time sink or makes the game play too annoying then it needs to change. I like the change of pace of the caves but they need work.

@Number.One

Neil

@Number.One

The only true issue with the blue caves (IMO) is that a small portion of the player base has trouble with those colors.

The ideal solution would be to build chroma filtering into the game. I know a very long list of add requests with a really small dev team.

The only time I have had issues is when I try to super speed though it all - or even fly once I am high enough level to go at a decent speed. Even then it is my behavior that is causing the problem.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

It's a mini-game:

1) Take a scrapper;

2) Build in SS;

3) Slot Run in everything;

4) Get EVERYONE to speed-crack you;

5) PINBALL!!!!

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I feel like most of the map sets in the game are unnecessarily maze-like and over-complicated, but as somebody else said, it's a real rabbit hole if changes start being made to one map set, because then they'd just about need to examine every single map set and revise them, which also means redoing every single mission which uses that map set to make sure that the enemy spawn points didn't get broken, to make sure that the doorways still line up properly, and so on. They'd almost be remaking the entire game at that point.

The only true issue with the blue caves (IMO) is that a small portion of the player base has trouble with those colors.

The ideal solution would be to build chroma filtering into the game. I know a very long list of add requests with a really small dev team.

If I'm remembering correctly, there are two "small caves" map-tile sets, one in blue and the other in brown, with identical map structures.

Remembering a discussion with Positron about the possibility of user-created maps, he confirmed that the maps were built using preconstructed blocks, but that the tools for joining them together were still primitive enough that it took a fair bit of time and skill to get everything to line up and join correctly, so it would need a lot of work to create a map builder that players could use. And I'm sure anyone who was around for the release of City of Villains remembers all of the maps where you'd find a corridor that had a black wall "blocking" the corridor, but if you went through it, you could see the corridor back the way you came... or drop through to the "floor" of the universe and have to get a GM to put you back... or have mobs jumping through gaps in the geometry to get away, then shoot at you from under the map where you couldn't shoot back. All of these are the result of mistakes the devs made when joining and aligning the map blocks, and the tools (and map blocks) would have to be cleaned up enough to make building a map a snap-click process before it could be made accessible to the playerbase.

I don't know whether the maps are defined logically enough in the databases to be able to make a sweeping replacement of all of the blue cave blocks with the identical (except for color) brown cave blocks, but if that's possible -- without having to go through map-by-map and do realignment of all the block joins -- that would be a solution to the color problem.

Color schmuller.  They are unnecessarily complex. I'm sure you can make an argument for the cave maps but some of the large office maps are just stupid confusing. Having said that. I wouldn't want any of the maps removed from the game unless there was a new map set taking their place. Or even just new (better) maps in the rotation(I'm assuming most maps are randomly assigned).

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

Color schmuller.  They are unnecessarily complex. I'm sure you can make an argument for the cave maps but some of the large office maps are just stupid confusing. Having said that. I wouldn't want any of the maps removed from the game unless there was a new map set taking their place. Or even just new (better) maps in the rotation(I'm assuming most maps are randomly assigned).

I don't find them overly complex but I also keep the minimap open in the corner at all times, so I know where I am.

I just find the blue caves fugly.

I dunno about removing them, but boy could they use a texture overhaul and recoloring. IMO they're among the ugliest maps.

+1 inf

This I would support.  At least tone down the "everything is purple" factor.

For me a lot of the trouble navigating the purple caves is that everything blends together, and I mostly navigate via zoomed-in map.

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief