Hostages have a sound effect like glowies do?

Big Oranbega maps and office buildings with tons of nooks and crannies are the worst for hostage rescuing! It would be so helpful if the poor citizens had a sound effect, like maybe scared vocalizations or maybe crying? Or even the hostage takers making a mua-ha-ha! villain sound!

-Signed

Someone that has been searching for twenty minutes for that last hostage in an enormous office building and needed a break.

• Like 2

I would prefer they have a bubble chat lines when you get close to them over a glowie affect

like 5 standard variations of "help me!" or "over here!" text chat bubble lines would be fine. have them repeat the phrase every minute or so it would be thematic too over hostages suddenly glowing

Edited by Mystoc
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

The hostages and/or their captors used to say something in chat when you were near them. Is that no longer happening?

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

The hostages and/or their captors used to say something in chat when you were near them. Is that no longer happening?

It still (usually) happens, though it can feel inadequate on larger or more complex maps, and it's easily missable for anyone who doesn't keep a custom tab *just* to track NPC speech

• Like 3

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Some missions, it does.  But there are a lot that do not.  

I do agree and would prefer a text bubble that pops up when near, over a sound or glowing effect.  Many already have a hard time hearing glowies - a visual chat bubble that you can typically see through walls gives a better indication of the direction and location of the speaker. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

It's unreliable. Sometimes it won't appear until you're right next to them. Sometimes it appears the second you load into the mission despite them being 30000m away.

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

I'm willing to agree that hostages should make a noise when you're near them.

But only if that noise is the Rick Roll song. Deal?

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

When I bought my latest computer, I made sure it had no speakers. I play the game in complete silence. If you are looking for glowies or hostages, there are a limited amount of map layouts the game uses. Consider using the same tactic you would use if you found yourself walking in a maze. Make all right turns and keep following one wall. Eventually finding those things will be second nature and sound won't matter.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Krimson said:

When I bought my latest computer, I made sure it had no speakers. I play the game in complete silence. If you are looking for glowies or hostages, there are a limited amount of map layouts the game uses. Consider using the same tactic you would use if you found yourself walking in a maze. Make all right turns and keep following one wall. Eventually finding those things will be second nature and sound won't matter.

I just tried that on a different mission and kept going in circles lol. Turned down the left hallway on another floor and heard the glowie and found the boss. Might not be the same on every map! I like the sound effects in this game and always play with them on.

Just now, Zephyr Star said:

I just tried that on a different mission and kept going in circles lol. Turned down the left hallway on another floor and heard the glowie and found the boss. Might not be the same on every map! I like the sound effects in this game and always play with them on.

Maps with loops can be problematic, but eventually, maps will start becoming familiar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Maps with loops can be problematic, but eventually, maps will start becoming familiar.

I'm fairly familiar with all maps, but not every map has things/hostages in the same place every time. Sometimes there are open doors that can be overlooked and don't get me started with Oranbega. Regular caves aren't as bad. Even outdoor maps can be troublesome especially the one with all the hills and such. I use the find macro for open maps but it's not really helpful in office/caves for targeting blockage.

I'm also just lazy and want my hand held. I got a job and a kid now, I'm not the carefree gamer I was in the early aughts with loads of time to find things!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Zephyr Star said:

I'm also just lazy and want my hand held. I got a job and a kid now, I'm not the carefree gamer I was in the early aughts with loads of time to find things!

I may be just good at negotiating 3D spaces. In the summer for fun, I try to get lost while on long walks. It has yet to happen. 

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

They used to do that and it was great, but now a lot of the time (all of the time?) the dialogue all fires when then map loads and it's useless.  It's been like that for a long time, although I don't know if the bug existed at the end of lLve.  I only remember it being on HC, but I could easily be wrong as Live was a long time ago now!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I support this idea, but only if the hostage NPC audio clue is someone imitating the 'Wooo-Wooo-Wooo' glowie sound effect

Edited by El D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

51 minutes ago, El D said:

I support this idea, but only if the hostage NPC audio clue is someone imitating the 'Wooo-Wooo-Wooo' glowie sound effect

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this image in mind.

"Woooo wooo wooo."

"Wooo. Wooo. Wooo."

Thug looks over. "Wha's that nosise?"

"Well, I'm a hostage, right?"

"Duh."

"I've got to make that noise now. New law." *beat* "Wooo. Wooo. Wooo."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I was just thinking they'd scream a lot, like defeated Carnies...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 minute ago, Sunsette said:

Every time I defeat a carnie, those screams make me feel like a terrible person. 

Who else screams?  I know there 's a couple of others.... Croatoa ghosts do too right?  They are a bit unnerving.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have a vague recollection of a hostage mission where the hostages uhhhh

regurgitate with noise

I'm not advocating for all the hostages to ummm

toss their cookies constantly but

at least there's a precedent and therefore some kinda coding for it

right?

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?