New computer - ultra mode looks fantastic

6 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I thought I had seen CoH as good as it could look.  But I just got my new computer and ultra mode looks fantastic.  It's a whole new generation of graphics.

I've been waiting to upgrade my graphics card, but...

Central Computers on X: "It be like that sometimes. 😂 Don't forget to  check out our weekly special sales and any new items we have back in stock.  Upgrade your monitor today

You should also check out: 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

14 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I thought I had seen CoH as good as it could look.  But I just got my new computer and ultra mode looks fantastic.  It's a whole new generation of graphics.

I'm running a 16 core Ryzen 9 and an RTX 3070Ti at 6K resolution.

IT ROCKS

The CPU was latest gen when I bought it.  I do a lot of high volume CPU intensive stuff at work.
Having had to drop back to my 4 core. 8 thread I7 laptop has showed some of the system's deficiencies...
The GPU I probably couldn't have justified had I not had an "in" at NVIDIA.
But I did...

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

2 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I'm currently running a 32GB ram 32 core AMD Threadripper with a NVidia RTX 4060TI. The game is really pretty 🙂 

That's the recommended card for RTX Remix. I need to upgrade from my RTX 3060.

Currently running a GeForce RTX 3060, 64GB ram, yada yada that I built late 2022.  Before that, I had fallen back to running on a 2012 laptop with 8GB ram which was surprisingly working alright at low settings, but it was a pretty big improvement.

Im still running NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, i7 core main processor 8700 CPU @ 3.2Ghz, only 8 GB ram. This game doesn't even need that.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

3 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I'm currently running a 32GB ram 32 core AMD Threadripper with a NVidia RTX 4060TI. The game is really pretty 🙂 

Yeah.  Was looking at Threadripper and Epyc.
Couldn't justify the price increase.

Even a 16 core/32 thread 5950x is already grotesquely powerful.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master
25 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Yeah.  Was looking at Threadripper and Epyc.
Couldn't justify the price increase.

Even a 16 core/32 thread 5950x is already grotesquely powerful.

Yeah I might have somewhat over specced

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

Were you running a 286 or 386 previously...?

It wasn't a terrible computer.  I thought I had the graphics set to max.

When I installed this time it asked if I wanted to use a new setting for Ultra graphics and I chose that.  I have no idea how old Ultra mode is.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KC4800 said:

Im still running NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, i7 core main processor 8700 CPU @ 3.2Ghz, only 8 GB ram. This game doesn't even need that.

I'm on an i7-8700K but with a RTX4080.  GPUs are just so much easier to upgrade and for the most part, even the latest games are doing just fine still for me because I don't play at ludicrous refresh rates.  Once I turn up every graphics setting in a game, it usually maxes out the GPU before the CPU and I'm still north of 60fps with variable refresh rate smoothness.

... except for CoH. Most of the time, it's fine.  But with Ultra Mode and everything turned up it will run into framerate problems in some zones or with large crowds of players/enemies.  Like, it'll be going 120fps in one zone and then go to Atlas or Cap Au Diable and for some reason in places it will chug down into the 30s or 40s.  And it REALLY doesn't like me trying to go 21:9, so I am currently playing letterboxed at 16:9.

I assume it's CPU limited and probably not using more than one or two threads.  But I haven't bothered to fire up a CPU overlay to check it.  I am long overdue to replace everything outside of the GPU.   Probably with a PC built around a Ryzen 7800X3D.

15 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I'm on an i7-8700K but with a RTX4080.  GPUs are just so much easier to upgrade and for the most part, even the latest games are doing just fine still for me because I don't play at ludicrous refresh rates.  Once I turn up every graphics setting in a game, it usually maxes out the GPU before the CPU and I'm still north of 60fps with variable refresh rate smoothness.

... except for CoH. Most of the time, it's fine.  But with Ultra Mode and everything turned up it will run into framerate problems in some zones or with large crowds of players/enemies.  Like, it'll be going 120fps in one zone and then go to Atlas or Cap Au Diable and for some reason in places it will chug down into the 30s or 40s.  And it REALLY doesn't like me trying to go 21:9, so I am currently playing letterboxed at 16:9.

I assume it's CPU limited and probably not using more than one or two threads.  But I haven't bothered to fire up a CPU overlay to check it.  I am long overdue to replace everything outside of the GPU.   Probably with a PC built around a Ryzen 7800X3D.

I appreciate you sharing this - I too have the 8700K CPU and I've been debating whether upgrading my GPU (currently a GTX 1080) to a 40 series would make any noticeable impact on my gaming experience with CoH. Sounds like we have the same framerates - what display resolution are you using? I'm hitting the same frames at 1440p.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

48 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I have no idea how old Ultra mode is

If I remember correctly, on of the big changes they made with the graphics when Going Rogue was developed/released was that Ultra Mode could then be used if your computer was able to handle it.

I'm not sure if it was "Ultra Mode" or not, but whatever graphics update they were talking about doing, my computer couldn't handle it.

I wasn't the only one either. There was a lot of talk on the forums about it as NCSoft was talking about upgrading all the graphics in the game to whatever the graphics update standard was which would have meant that you couldn't play the game unless your computer could handle that graphics standard.

At least that's the way that I remember it, but that was a good while back. I think everything winked out existence there for a while or something ...

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

19 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Now try this. Type: "/visscale 20" into chat, fly up to the top of the highest building in the zone and then look around and take a good look at the entire zone.  😁

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

31 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I appreciate you sharing this - I too have the 8700K CPU and I've been debating whether upgrading my GPU (currently a GTX 1080) to a 40 series would make any noticeable impact on my gaming experience with CoH. Sounds like we have the same framerates - what display resolution are you using? I'm hitting the same frames at 1440p.

Same.  2560x1440.  The monitor I recently bought is 3440x1440 ultrawide but I experience more slowdowns with that so obviously there must be some CPU hit that scales with resolution in this engine because no way is the 4080 even breaking a sweat with this game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ZemX said:

Same.  2560x1440.  The monitor I recently bought is 3440x1440 ultrawide but I experience more slowdowns with that so obviously there must be some CPU hit that scales with resolution in this engine because no way is the 4080 even breaking a sweat with this game. 

What about memory? I'm at 32GB of DDR4 3200MHZ RAM. I can't tell what actually gets bottlenecked from CoH - is it a game engine limitation?? 

Pocket D Zone Tour

7 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

What about memory? I'm at 32GB of DDR4 3200MHZ RAM. I can't tell what actually gets bottlenecked from CoH - is it a game engine limitation?? 

16GB DDR4 3000MHz.  I doubt it's memory limited.   At some point I will probably try going through settings again with some perf monitor overlays up to see who's getting maxed out.  I am guessing the game just can't use all the cores so it's probably maxing just one or two of them and idling the rest.  Ultra Mode, old as it is, is also probably doing things in software that the GPU could do in hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1

My current rig is a 16 core (32 virtual core) AMD CPU with 64GB of RAM and an RT 3070 Ti.

All drives are PCI-E M.2 SSDs.

Running 3x 4K monitors in Portrait mode with desktop fusion.  Essentially running 6K-ish resolution.
Currently unless I'm running more than 6x FSAA, I don't really see a problem, but I don't really notice much more at that high a resolution, so no real need to step "up" to "Stupid" mode.

14 hours ago, ZemX said:

Probably with a PC built around a Ryzen 7800X3D.

Don't hesitate. Got it in my rig and its fantastic. Price vs performance, temps, all good.