Playing by Iron Man rules. Do I live or die?

I was playing Iron Man based on agreed upon Iron Man rules very similar to what most people have proposed. But I was playing with two other people who were also playing by the same Iron Man rules. While we were in a mission, on a map on Gold Side, I died. But I stayed dead as a corpse to watch how the rest of the level played out. During that time, my fellow Iron Man team mates finished the mission, and when they did, I leveled. Mind you, I helped them as a corpse, laying in a hallway. I told them where enemies were according to my perspective and even gave them the last of my inspirations. Because of all of that, I leveled when they neared completion of the mission, thus making me become alive again. Does that allow me to continue as my Iron Man character? I am asking because it was a one in a million chance that that could have happened. I say that for Iron Man, if you can stay active in a mission while dead, long enough to be revived, you should be able to continue with that character. What do you all think?

Feel free to inundate me with basic Iron Man rules so I can make a decision.

Personally: I think Iron Man rules are somewhat silly, as all players can choose to take self-rez powers from pools. There is also the "all it takes is a sloppy league leader to murderize anybody" effect.

by the common assessment of the silly Iron Man thinking: I'd say you were dead, Kev.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AyamSirias said:

I earned that shit. Have you ever done that? I doubt it.

I know Snarky said to take it however you want, but you shouldn't (IMO) take it personally.  Nosferatu often see people through this lens. 😄🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Left 1

I don't really hold to "death" for my characters.  Even in-game canon doesn't see a fall in battle as "death".  Our "rez" inspirations have names like "Awaken", "Bounce Back", and "Restoration", not "resurrection". When inspiration restoration fails, canon gives us the medical teleporters. We've a whole story arc about the "elitist" use of them, not for resurrecting from the dead (I can't speak for Snarky, though) but for extreme medical restoration.  Those complaining about their use (in canon still) are seeking to preserve life, not restore it.  So I consider getting dropped in combat to simply be powerful stuns, knock-outs, or crippling injury.  Giving call outs to teammates is in keeping with that.  My back may be broken and I'm on the floor, but if I can see something from my position, I'm going to use the headset mike to call info to the team.  The only time I'd consider it possibly "death" would be if the entire team wiped.  In such a scenario, it's reasonable to assume the enemy would visit all the fallen and dispatch them in their disabled state.  But then again, there's those med teleporters monitoring and kicking in when needed.

• Microphone 1

I can't recall the rules we had back in the day on Live with an IM SG, but you died, so that character is finished. I can't recall how much people hung around. Sometimes there can be a moment of shock/mourning happening based on the situation or level of the character. I at one point easily had the highest level character for a Blaster(41). My next run I grabbed a Dom which I really liked, we did the same mission, and that character died on the same mob, see a named boss was involved. Utter and complete gut punch. I remember one time was rather difficult due to a near team wipe happening.

To add, I didn't use anything outside of Level 25 Common IOs. So no, I was not capping any sort of Def or anything like that.

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

In the spirit of Iron Man, apparently you are able to come back as a villain. 🤣

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

You def died.  It should have been immediately over for you.

”Helping” your teammates while you lay dead on the floor, should not have been allowed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

Let's try a thought experiment.  Please try to take yourself out of the equation and consider these circumstances in abstract.

Suppose Player A had full patrol XP and was defeated just before leveling, in fact, he were so close to leveling that very pull that defeated him, also leveled him.

Should that count as a death?

Suppose Player B goes down in the first pull of a mission, but it's a long mission, and he camps out until the end, and sure enough, by the end he dings and is revived.

Suppose Player C is in a team and goes down while street-sweeping, but his party keeps clearing until he dings and revives.

If you can answer those honestly, I think you'll have your answer.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of "hardcore" game play.  But if I was going to do it, I think I tend to agree with Doomguide2005: progress on the XP Debt badge is the disqualifier.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

So, as someone who's played by similar rules - "If you get defeated, you get deleted" - let me share some additional perspective. 

It can be tough to delete a character, particularly if you're enjoying it. 

The good news is - you were on gold side. That means you were below level 20, and you can catch up in a day, if you're focused. Faster than that if you're on Indomitable. 

There's all kinds of ways to rationalize away the delete option. Ultimately - we can't tell you what to do. 
But I can share my advice: 

Follow the rule and delete your character. And the reason why is because the rationalization can be a slippery slope. The defeat wasn't your fault, your teammate is the one that did the splash aggro and brought in the extra group. Or maybe they were too damned slow and cautious, and if anything was going to get done, you had to be the one to do it. 

There's all kinds of "reasons" to justify our decisions if we look long enough. 

Again, just delete it and start over. Learn what you can, and drive on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

By most Iron rules, that character is no longer i Iron mode.

That doesn't mean you have to delete it, but it has failed the challenge.   I think some Iron rules allowed defeats if it really wasn't your fault.  (Server disconnected and you got whacked while out)  Even some people count those.

• Like 3

Sorry, any debt = loss of character and all resources.

Rules for the Iron Man Challenge

1. Start with a newly created character.
  2. May team with other Iron Man Challenge participants.
  3. May purchase upgrades (inspirations and enhancements) with money earned by doing missions or by own means.
  4. May use buffs and temps acquired through game play.
  5. No Power Leveling. No outside funding or items.
  6. No P2W/Start items. No SG buffs or empowe
  7. If your character dies for any reason they are to be deleted immediately.
    • All resources from the character are lost.

Feel free to add to or revise as needed.

• Microphone 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum