How to zip around the zones with LFG

Hedgefund

The LFG menu offers an extraordinary means of going to various zones, some of which may otherwise require 2-3 intermediate steps from your current location.

The purpose of this "micro-guide" is to help players understand how they can use LFG to their advantage.  I have to say that I am in no small part motivated because of a Faathim task force I joined where I watched other members come from whatever zone they were in, go to Peregrine, go to Firebase Zulu, then go to the Chantry, all while I was begging them to drop from the team, use LFG to port to Faathim then they'd get there immediately.

Since a picture is worth 1023 words, give or take:

kMwGHBL.png

Let's say, for example, that I'm in Sharkhead and someone is fighting Jack in Irons and Eochai and I'd like to help.  I can simply select "A Tangled Plot" then choose the "Lock the event for your group" button, then "Queue".  In a short second, I'll get the familiar prompt to join the league.  Click it and next thing you know, you'll be in Croatoa in front of Katie, just a quick super jump away from from the GM fight.

Here's another example:  You want to join a Hamidon raid.  I see all too often someone go to Founder's Falls, travel to the Eden gate, go into Eden and then take that looong haul to the Hive gate.  All you have to do is select the "Trials" tab then choose "[Prisoners of Eden] Woodsman".  You'll magically appear in front of the Woodsman who is a short hop from the Hive gate.

Some relevant details to keep in mind:

• Like any use of the LFG, all team members must be in the same zone.  So, for the Hami raid example, you should drop from any team before using LFG to transport, then rejoin once you get to Eden (or the Hive).
  • Do not use this while you are on a tf/sf/trial.  Doing so causes you to drop from it.  You are ported to the contact you selected but dropped from the tf. 

• It will work to transport your whole team to a sf/tf/trial contact (if everyone is currently in the same zone).  So if you're doing missions in Peregrine and one sends you to say, Brickstown, you can choose Manticore.

• LFG doesn't tell you what zone these sfs/tfs/trials are in, so this is mostly for people familiar with them already.

• You will NOT be able to use this to transport to contacts you haven't unlocked yet.  In the image above, you can see that Katie Hannon is unlocked for me (the text is white) but just below, you can see that the Ernesto Hess text is grey, meaning I haven't unlocked him and therefore can not use LFG to port to him.  (I could for Moonfire though).

• You will only have sfs/tfs/trials shown that you are eligible to participate in.  If I had shown you this menu from a level 30 character, then Ice Mistral and Numina would not have been on the menu (both have a minimum level of 35).

• It should also be noted that the current WSTs will be highlighted.  From the image above, you can see that Mortimer Kal and Admiral Sutter are highlighted in purple, denoting that they are the current WSTs.

I hope some of you find this helpful and it gives you some food for thought about alternative means of moving between zones.  If I can clarify anything, or if I have something outright wrong, please let me know.

• Thanks 3

or you can simply use your free base teleporter.

Which may not actually be convenient at the moment. In any case, one of the best things about CoH is that there are just so darned many ways to get from place to place. Transit, TUNNEL, Ouro, Pocket D, Paragon Dance Party, base teleporters, etc. It's nice to learn about another, that can be used immediately from wherever you are, without any cooldown or other prerequisites beyond unlocking the contact and being the right level.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

This was to show an option for using LFG, to be considered with Oro, base transport, mission transport, team transport or whatever.  LFG offers you 1-click transport.  To use your base you would have to either use the base transport or move to your base, then enter your base, then go to the base transporter and select the one you need.  By my counting, LFG looks like fewer steps to me.

You...

mean...

the...

one...

with...

the...

30-second...

activation...

time?

(That can get interrupted and fail by a Sprocket fart?)

• Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I tried this out last night and it worked great! Thank you!

Paragon City Council is debating on banning all burrito sales because of the rise of building fires caused by flatulent sparking from Clockwork, Hellions, and Demons.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Paragon City Council is debating on banning all burrito sales because of the rise of building fires caused by flatulent sparking from Clockwork, Hellions, and Demons.

I will be leading a protest outside El Super Mexicano.

I will be leading a protest outside El Super Mexicano.

El Super Mexicano is lobbying hard against it...they "claim" it's a Nemesis plot...But the Fire Chief says he's running ragged putting these fires out in Steel Canon especially...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

It's been nagging at me that I was so cocksure about the below statement without actually verifying it firsthand:

This should be obvious - but I'll state it anyway, this won't work once you're on a strike/task force or trial, even an Oroboros flashback.

I tried the following 3 tests to see what would happen.

1) Use LFG inside a mission

2) Use LFG from a regular task force (Manticore in this case)

3) Use LFG from an Oro task force

I was surprised to see that indeed, LFG will port to the appropriate contact.  It did so in all 3 cases.

However, and it's a big "but", there were consequences.

1)  When using LFG from within a normal mission, you get ported to the tf contact and the mission gets deselected.  Meaning, any progress made will be lost.  I thought maybe it would be like using Oro from within a mission, which keeps your progress intact.  LFG does not.

I'm going to lump 2 and 3 together.

2&3) I was shocked that if you use LFG while you're in tf mode, you will indeed get teleported.  However, you're dropped from the tf.  When you're on a team, anyone that clicks "accept" will port to the contact and get dropped, anyone that hits "decline" will stay on the tf.

So, I was wrong, which was inevitable since I said "this should be obvious" that it doesn't work.  However it's not advantageous at all.  Never ever do it from within a sf/tf/trial.  Not because it doesn't work, but because it does.

• Like 1

But, I don't have a base. Not in a SG, so no coalition either? Guess this would be helpful for someone like me, huh?

I get the sarcasm here, but I will add that you can be in a SG of 1 (or just include all your alts), and since bases are free, you can create a small, but functional base with teleporters to most of the zones, a Med Bay (which is really helpful when you are on a Council, Arachnos, or CoT map that has prisons you want to avoid), Salvage Racks and Crafting Tables, and key NPC's (tailor, "store", trainer, and nurse).  It takes a little time, but since it is so easy to invite your alts (villain and hero can share the same base), it's really only something you have to do once per server...

• Like 1

Gotta say, this is the easiest possible way to get to Cimerora if you're wanting to get in on an ITF. I don't think they make base porders for Cimerora, or at least I don't recall seeing any. But you just select "Time's Arrow," lock for your group, submit, and queue, and boom, there you are right next to Impy.

This is particularly handy given that the ITF is the Weekly Strike Target at the moment. :)

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

• 1 month later
16 hours ago, Robotech_Master said:

I've written a new overall guide to fast ways to get around, and included the LFG teleporter as one of them. (With credit and a link here for turning me onto it. 🙂 )

Thanks RM.  I do have a cautionary tale of my own now.  I was doing one of the patron's 4th arc via Oro, so I could start LRSF.  After I defeated him in the future in a mission in Nerva, I got sloppy and used LFG to get to Barracuda for the last task in the arc, which is just to talk to LR and show him his mask.  

Here's the emoji depicting my emotional state after that: 😥.

I love your all-encompassing guide and I hereby officially deprecate this one.

Edited by Hedgefund