PK's Tools

Alright, now with @Carnifax's tip, I've gotten the page load cut in half AGAIN, down to 14 seconds:

image.png.e3136f6d482553e52e2e3bd51f3ece61.png

I think that's about as good as it's going to get folks, considering that I'm screen-scraping and processing a few dozen pages, all at the same time!

I also learned a valuable lesson - you can't turn a method that returns void into a Task<>, because, DUH, it's a void method. If you make an async method void, the code won't care when the hell it runs, so you can't very well use a Task.WaitAll() on it. You have to EXPLICITLY declare the method as a Task<something> so that the compiler knows that it will return a value to wait on. I spent four HOURS figuring that one out. Rookie mistake. I also went ahead and updated the source code, so that anyone that wants to can see and take my nasty code, and maybe make it better.

• Like 2
I'm out.

16 hours ago, honoroit said:

It makes some sense 😀

Something to think on. 

You can maintain control merges with pull requests, everyone's not just committing to your master branch. 

You actually get better feedback, can discuss changes and how they're brought about etc. You'll actually gain more exposure, and gain resume portfolio fodder at the same time. 

If anyone is mean or doesn't like xyz about your project or coding style... Well they can go straight to hell via block user, and the OSS community as a whole has little tolerance for asshats who want to slander endeavor. 

Could someone clone the repo and make another city of tracker? Yes, but you've already outlined what you've done. 

There's some stuff I'm going to make public when I get finished moving cross country (in Minnesota, headed to Seattle)... specifically some aws stuff with Alexa and the like.

'Alexa, tell me about energy torrent', a flash briefing for forum posts here (hint, just grab and rearrange the rss feeds from this site into skillfeed items, clean trim text, and you done)... and so on. 

I'll also pack it with cloud infrastructure orchestration (cloudformation) so you can one click deploy it, and have CI/CD via AWS code pipeline once you do. That's not secret sauce, it's just helpful. 

Its fun for me, and I get the benefit of eyes on my work, and code review from folks who you'd normally have to pay quite hansomly for tutoring. 

Different perspectives are good, I'm sharing mine! If you do end up putting it up somewhere we can see, I'll bet you get all credit, as well as a better product. 

Good luck with it, however you move forward. And grats on figuring async await. 

Oh, yeah, well it's not so much that I don't want people to take my code. I give it away freely most of the time. It's just that if it's on my website, or inside of my program, I kinda want it to be mostly my code. I'm kind of selfish that way.

• Like 1
I'm out.

Nice work! Tried it last night while it was 30 seconds to load. Didn't bother me much, I did other things and came back to it when convenient. If it's now 14 seconds, I'll probably just wait it out. Thanks for the efforts

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Yeah @GM_Tahquitz, I'm starting to overload my Shared Windows server with too much data for it to handle. Right now, I'm testing out an AWS server, to see how well that works and how cheap/expensive it is, so you can try that if you want, it seems more stable:

http://devtracker-dev.us-east-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
I'm out.

I'm testing out a faster server as well, to see how much they charge me. So, I'll be running this one for the next day for testing purposes. It is definitely noticeably faster, but the question is whether the juice is worth the squeeze, or if people are fine with waiting for a long page load, as long as it doesn't error out:

http://devtracker-test.us-east-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/

• Like 1
I'm out.

• 2 months later
On 5/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, Doc_Scorpion said:

I know you're swamped with work/family stuff...  But if you do have spare time and energy, could you take a gander at the dev tracker?

Screenshot (242).png

Crap. I'll try to get to this today. 

• Like 1
I'm out.

3 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Source code available on my website is now also up to date, in case anyone wants to see what I did and make it better and host it themselves. *hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge*

That would not be me...  My last programming was twenty years ago, in BASIC.  About the last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn.  🙂 🙂

Thanks for fixing that!

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

• 1 month later

Well, I can no longer justify to my wife the $45/month it costs to run the server that's hosting the DevTracker, so I have to kill it as of today. The source code can still be found at City of Players in case anyone wants to steal it and host it themselves. Take care, everyone.

• Sad 3
I'm out.

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Well, I can no longer justify to my wife the $45/month it costs to run the server that's hosting the DevTracker, so I have to kill it as of today. The source code can still be found at City of Players in case anyone wants to steal it and host it themselves. Take care, everyone.

Totally understandable, especially in this climate. 

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

• City Council
2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I'll spin up a server to host this, and anything else you need hosted PK

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mimiru said:

I'll spin up a server to host this, and anything else you need hosted PK

Feel free, the code is open source. Just be warned - it's a resource hog. It failed to work on my cheap $50/year HostGator account, that's why I pushed it to an AWS account, but... it got too pricey for my family to maintain. I'd love to see it working somewhere else though!

I'm out.

5 hours ago, Mimiru said:

I've put a copy up https://devtracker.cityofheroes.dev/ though I'm looking to do some performance work as it takes 10+ seconds to load at times.

That is amazing, thank you. Yeah, my code sucks, it was my first time making any sort of ASP.NET page without any sort or training of classes, so I'm sure I made ALL sorts of mistakes.

I apologize in advance for my horrendous code. Feel free to start from scratch if you know what you're doing, because I sure as hell didn't.

First thing you'll probably want to do is stop drawing Literal Controls like I'm doing right now and make some sort of data bound grid. I hadn't learned how to do that when I wrote that page.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
I'm out.

• 4 weeks later

Don't forget to update with your new toys.  ;)

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)