CoH Community Ghosting

_NOPE_

Sounds a lot like Grindr. Just don't take it personally: Ghosting happens. You will drive yourself insane wondering why someone stopped talking to you.

Welcome to the 21st century, Phil. 

I always answer people in-game and, if engaged in conversation, will always respond. The key to interacting with people in the 21st century, the key to finding friends, is finding people who are as like-minded as you.

Could it be anything to do with your sarcastic/unhelpful/disruptive replies to people's topics, I wonder...

"Sally was actually a virtual construct of code and graphics. Simply put, she was a computer graphic running via a computer simulation. As was Croatoa. And Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. The entire game of City of Heroes actually. None of it was real. ~ Matt Miller (Positron)"

Could it be anything to do with your sarcastic/unhelpful/disruptive replies to people's topics, I wonder...

I don't get any of that from Phil's posts.

My best friend taught me: You have read texts/messages/posts in as bland a voice as possible. You cannot know where the person intended inflection. Italics and Bold just don't do justice. Neither do emojis.

I don't get any of that from Phil's posts.

My best friend taught me: You have read texts/messages/posts in as bland a voice as possible. You cannot know where the person intended inflection. Italics and Bold just don't do justice. Neither do emojis.

Well when I've seen him post in the past it was usually some snarky /jranger one word reply to people. So it's not hard to see why that kind of approach would rub people the wrong way.

"Sally was actually a virtual construct of code and graphics. Simply put, she was a computer graphic running via a computer simulation. As was Croatoa. And Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. The entire game of City of Heroes actually. None of it was real. ~ Matt Miller (Positron)"

I don't think I have ever "ghosted" anyone; that said, I am generally getting multiple tells to join a Strike Force or team or whatever, and I do respond to all of them as quickly as possible.

I also respond to conversation attempts, though most of those tend to happen in global channels like "Excelsior".

More of that sensitivity, haha.

It's not about being sensitive (you really think I'm sensitive? I play PvP exclusively in this game for a start, can't be thinskinned in RV). It's just about the simple fact that being snarky isn't gonna win you friends.

I general--at least for me--the reason I don't comment in a thread is because the OP's thread title was too generic and required one to enter the thread to know what the discussion or their question was about.

"You know what...?"

"OMG, I just found..."

"I have a question"

A little more detail in the Subject would likely cut down on thread divers that have nothing to add or comment on when they enter the thread and find out that they have nothing to add or comment on. /:

As for as tells in-game or in social media; I for one check FB maybe once every 3-4 days, in-game the only thing I ignore are blind invites but most of my chatting is done in Discord vc with the people I play with who also happen to be the same people I played with in Legacy CoH that I've kept in tough with since the game was shuttered.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

More of that sensitivity, haha.

It's not about being sensitive (you really think I'm sensitive? I play PvP exclusively in this game for a start, can't be thinskinned in RV). It's just about the simple fact that being snarky isn't gonna win you friends.

More of a reference in jest to my own post. It only makes sense in context there. All good I don't know how sensitive you are from just one reply.

Back to the Original Topic, since we have have strayed into more Jr. Windbaggery and Amatuer Psychological Analysis, I think there is something , at least on these forums you have to keep in mind.

Users Online

250 Guests, 78 Users (4 Hidden)

That was just now, lots of readers, but to Reply you must be a User and logged in. More Guests than Users means a lot of views without replies. Also some people read and don't feel that they need to add information or voice their opinion, others you can't get to stop, but I don't believe it's personal, just they way things work.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

All I can say is that I haven't really noticed it happening.. and that if I don't answer your PM or Tell or reply on one of my threads, it's just a matter of my having not seen it. I'm chatty as all hell. Even if you ask me a question I don't know the answer to, you're like to get a response.

It'll just be "Beats me!" or "No idea, dude." XD

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

No, this isn't about stealthing through a door mission to the end to get the glowie or beat the big bad and their minions - this is about seemingly ignoring people when they attempt to communicate with you. For some reason, in the modern CoH Community, I've had many, MANY people "ghost" me. On forums, on Discord, via e-mail, via FB Messenger. I send messages, trying to move conversations along... and I get nothing. Silence. Dead air. For days, even weeks, even after I send one or more follow-up messages. Has anyone else experienced this with the CoH Community? Or is it just me? It's not just within one subset of the CoH community either, it seems pervasive in multiple sub-communities.

I realize that this is a game, it's a hobby, and people have real lives that surely are more important than pretendy fun time games. But, I at least, make it a personal policy to try to respond to everyone that directly contacts me within 24/48 hours out of courtesy, either with a valid response, or just saying something like "I'll have to get back to you later on that". Because I realize that people on the other end are just that, people, and deserve the respect of at the very least being acknowledged. But it seems that many others in the CoH community don't seem to follow the same policy. Is this ubiquitous? As a highly functional autistic, I wonder if this is perhaps some sort of standard neurotypical behavior?

Or is it just me? Does my internet breath stink? Wondering what all of your experiences are, to see if I'm all alone in this or not.

*Passes PK a breath mint...just in case that's the reason.*

But seriously for all of these mediums there can be answers given

1.) Forums - I have sent many a PM and response time is usually more than 24 hours, and I consistently here the same thing, "I didn't notice the number next to my messages...I never think to check there"  I don't have this problem...I love it when I get a response on the forums and usually write back within 24 hours

2.) Discord - I accidentally starting a private conversation with someone on the discord, but I never noticed it because it looked like just a different server to me.  I opened it about 3 weeks later...Also, while I scan the forums daily, I only check in on discord every so often

3.) If I don't recognize your email, it may NEVER get opened...Subject lines are key here...

4.) FB Messenger, as already mentioned is the WORST way to communicate with ANYONE who is not on your friends list.  You will never see a notification and must accidentally stumble into the message.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Sorry, Phil, it is you. Ha ha!

I've had it happen too, but I don't read much into it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

No, this isn't about stealthing through a door mission to the end to get the glowie or beat the big bad and their minions - this is about seemingly ignoring people when they attempt to communicate with you. For some reason, in the modern CoH Community, I've had many, MANY people "ghost" me. On forums, on Discord, via e-mail, via FB Messenger. I send messages, trying to move conversations along... and I get nothing. Silence. Dead air. For days, even weeks, even after I send one or more follow-up messages. Has anyone else experienced this with the CoH Community? Or is it just me? It's not just within one subset of the CoH community either, it seems pervasive in multiple sub-communities.

I realize that this is a game, it's a hobby, and people have real lives that surely are more important than pretendy fun time games. But, I at least, make it a personal policy to try to respond to everyone that directly contacts me within 24/48 hours out of courtesy, either with a valid response, or just saying something like "I'll have to get back to you later on that". Because I realize that people on the other end are just that, people, and deserve the respect of at the very least being acknowledged. But it seems that many others in the CoH community don't seem to follow the same policy. Is this ubiquitous? As a highly functional autistic, I wonder if this is perhaps some sort of standard neurotypical behavior?

Or is it just me? Does my internet breath stink? Wondering what all of your experiences are, to see if I'm all alone in this or not.

If it makes you feel better, I've been here for about a week and I have yet to converse with another human being. :D

Wait...PK is not a human being...does that mean *gasp* that he is a Kheldian whose been fused with a FF Defender?  This explains so much.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Maybe people are just too busy playing? Just kidding...

A big difference between now and the early days of the game is the explosion of social media. That splits the community up in terms of where they need to get their talking-about-CoH fix. There are these forums as well as smaller ones centered around the other rogue server operations. There's at least three groups on Facebook that I read on my feed. There's Discord, which I really don't like. And I suppose other ways the community gets its fix. Without the central leadership of a team like the old devs, we're not going to be as cohesive a community, I guess.

And speaking of community, I keep reading about how the one thing that everyone really missed about Coh was the great community ... I tell ya, the very first tiem I got rudely flamed by a complete stranger in my entire life was on the original forums. Since the game was shut down, i indulged my other hobbies and have been on forums for electric guitars, music, tube amp building, electronics, RC aircraft, kayaking and software development. Not once have I been rudely flamed or treated poorly on any of those. But in the weeks since the game and 'the community' has been back, I've experienced the old nasty crap a couple of times already.

Ghosting is a modern societal trend and is hardly exclusive to CoH. It's easy to ignore people when your first line of communication is text messaging. It's really making me lose respect for a lot of people.

Do you consider the people ghosting you friends? The group of friends I play with don't ghost and are generally responsive. I even chat on Discord while at work.

This is more of a problem with certain people I know in real life. It's so annoying when people ignore you, especially when you can see a read receipt. I don't expect an immediate response, but please don't patronize me with a BS excuse later on.

If you don't want to hang out or participate in something you're invited to then just say so. Simply not responding makes you look like an untrustworthy tool.

I have actually done this, but not intentionally.

I had started a character and then moved to a different server and just remade the character.  I happened to log into the old character (on a server I rarely visit) and someone had left me an email a couple weeks previous.

So, in some cases, this can just happen without anyone deliberately ignoring anyone.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I see this as being more and more common at work, in social groups etc.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **