Converters

Lucky666

any predictions on what if anything will happen to prices from there on out.

There's still going to be a very liquid market for converters.  It's currently (apparently) the best way to monetize your merits, with 100 merits getting you 25-30mm pre-vig.  It's also a great value multiplier for crafters/converters (I estimate that each converter adds 3-10x its value.)

But I'd say that there are better sellers than buyers.  I generally get my bids filled in the 85k-95k range depending on how quickly I want them.  And I think I could probably buy all I wanted NAO at 100k.  And I want a LOT.

So if you wiped out the bidders, I'd be right back in there, but probably at a little lower level and I'd see if I got filled.  So my prediction would be that the market would remain large and liquid but maybe at slightly lower prices.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Given an acute scarcity of any material, the price should go up. Then again, it's pretty easy to generate new converters into the economy so I'd estimate the stronger the attempt to yank out all converters from the market, the stronger their influx into the market so it's most likely impossible to pull this off even with a couple of friends. As an anecdote, I have somewhere between 3k and 4k merits across my characters and I might be tempted to convert some of those into influence if the converter market shot up. Basically what I'm saying is there are probably other players besides me who could individually shower hundreds or thousands of converters into the market if there was an unusually good opportunity to profit from it. Besides the existing merit stashes, it's easy to get at least 1 merit/minute so I just can't see anyone being able to completely drain them.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Actually, if he’s trying to fill all the bids, the price would go down. More supply, less demand, assuming he’s able to affect things at all. I know I buy more than 100 converters a day, probably closer to several hundred a day.

• Thanks 1

Oh, my mistake. I read the original post pretty carelessly and thought he was going to buy out all the listed converters rather than list enough converters to clear the bids. In that case the price is definitely going to go down as there are likely a large number of bids significantly below whatever the going price is or has been at some point.

But I guess no matter which side he's taking on, it's pretty much impossible to accomplish this solo. I know I'll toss in hundreds of bids just to stock up if the converter prices crash and I assume many others would do that as well.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later
On 7/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, DSorrow said:

Oh, my mistake. I read the original post pretty carelessly and thought he was going to buy out all the listed converters rather than list enough converters to clear the bids. In that case the price is definitely going to go down as there are likely a large number of bids significantly below whatever the going price is or has been at some point.

But I guess no matter which side he's taking on, it's pretty much impossible to accomplish this solo. I know I'll toss in hundreds of bids just to stock up if the converter prices crash and I assume many others would do that as well.

If they drop low enough, even I would buy in.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

2 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

If they drop low enough, even I would buy in.

Curiousity...what's low enough?  I have never spent more than  95K on converters (need it now!!!!!), and 90% of the time I am spending 90K (I can wait a few hours).

I've had bids sitting around for 89K, but I've yet to see those ever fill...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

3 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

Curiousity...what's low enough?  I have never spent more than  95K on converters (need it now!!!!!), and 90% of the time I am spending 90K (I can wait a few hours).

My 85k bids fill every couple of days, but most of the time I'm like you in the 90-95 range with exactly the same time urgency.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

3 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

My 85k bids fill every couple of days, but most of the time I'm like you in the 90-95 range with exactly the same time urgency.

Good to know...I've had several 89K bids that went on for a week unfulfilled...Finally cancelled them to make more room...I'm going to put them back up

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I've started buying off market from a friend who's making his money doing super packs. I just give him 100k each and he saves market fees and his fingers from clicking hundreds of times. Sitting on like 2700 right now that i need to use.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justicebeliever said:

Let’s go with an unrealistic value of 50k or less.

Marketing is just a small piece of my game and I mean it when I say that I don’t have to ever buy Converters.😁

On 7/28/2019 at 10:14 PM, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I've started buying off market from a friend who's making his money doing super packs. I just give him 100k each and he saves market fees and his fingers from clicking hundreds of times. Sitting on like 2700 right now that i need to use.

Oddly enough, this is something that I would do (although, I am just as likely to give a friend the Influence and continue on my way).

Edited by Myrmidon

I give away a ton to friends. This is just helping save fingers while one friend works toward the same financial position i'm at. It's just nice to be able to make enough easily that I can pricey IO as I level on every alt plus throw money at friends' builds and some to new players in help for p2w powers and marketing startup. Much as I loved the live game I don't miss weeks of farming and marketing just to slot out one build with IOs that cost as much each as entire build today.

• Like 2

Is buying converters with merits the established best practice for maximizing merit spend? I suppose it is, because even the winter IOs at 100 a piece would only get you around 20 mil per merit while converters would be 30 mil for 100 merits. I ask because i have a bunch of winter IOs i need and merits to spend, but if just buying the converters and selling is more worthwhile I guess thats the way to go and buy the IOs from the market.

1 hour ago, SlimPickens said:

Is buying converters with merits the established best practice for maximizing merit spend? I suppose it is, because even the winter IOs at 100 a piece would only get you around 20 mil per merit while converters would be 30 mil for 100 merits. I ask because i have a bunch of winter IOs i need and merits to spend, but if just buying the converters and selling is more worthwhile I guess thats the way to go and buy the IOs from the market.

That seems to be conventional wisdom, but I’d take it with a grain of salt.  If you were able to sell 300 converters at 100k a pop, you’d net 27mm which should buy you any winter o you want more or less, and leave you change in most cases.

You might find it difficult to sell at that level though.  Most trades seem to be in the 90-95 k range, which nets you less.  Maybe enough to buy your winter o, maybe not.

if I needed winter os and I had the merits, I would probably buy them directly with merits rather than buy converters, sell them for inf, and buy the winter o with the proceeds.  I don’t think the cost savings would be significant versus the convenience of doing it in one step.  UNLESS you feel that you are particularly good at buying and selling things in the AH.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

20 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

I give away a ton to friends. This is just helping save fingers while one friend works toward the same financial position i'm at. It's just nice to be able to make enough easily that I can pricey IO as I level on every alt plus throw money at friends' builds and some to new players in help for p2w powers and marketing startup. Much as I loved the live game I don't miss weeks of farming and marketing just to slot out one build with IOs that cost as much each as entire build today.

I applaud you good deeds my friend.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 7/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, Shinobu said:

Actually, if he’s trying to fill all the bids, the price would go down. More supply, less demand, assuming he’s able to affect things at all. I know I buy more than 100 converters a day, probably closer to several hundred a day.

Wow, that is a lot of converters.

As an experiment, used an alt to turn merits in converters and listed them for 100k each just to see if anything happens.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

Im not sure you could dent the flow of converters very well. Last friday I attempted to buy all of them and flip them for 1 inf to clear out all the bids. I started with 28k sales and 28k bids. I bought enough to drop it down to 16k for sale and 16k bids. I stopped because i couldnt keep pace with the flow of new converters to the market, I wasnt denting the amount on the market fast enough to see the converters for sale drop in quantity any more. By the time I logged off for the night it was back up to 20k for sale and down to 12k bids. Yesterday they were up to 36k for sale and 10k bids.

It would likely take 2-5 of us on a weeke day to clear everything out but I dont think it would last very long.

39 minutes ago, cyvert said:

Im not sure you could dent the flow of converters very well. Last friday I attempted to buy all of them and flip them for 1 inf to clear out all the bids. I started with 28k sales and 28k bids. I bought enough to drop it down to 16k for sale and 16k bids. I stopped because i couldnt keep pace with the flow of new converters to the market, I wasnt denting the amount on the market fast enough to see the converters for sale drop in quantity any more. By the time I logged off for the night it was back up to 20k for sale and down to 12k bids. Yesterday they were up to 36k for sale and 10k bids.

It would likely take 2-5 of us on a weeke day to clear everything out but I dont think it would last very long.

Huh, I bought about ten thousand of them this weekend too.  I'd love to say that I lifted a lot of really expensive offers, but all my bids were in the 85k-95k , so I probably have you to thank for much of that. 

There are definitely better sellers than buyers, and I think there will be so long as it's one of the best ways to monetize merits.  Like I've said early and often, converters are a really strange commodity, where people are dying to sell them to make inf, and people are dying to buy them to make even more inf.

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

There are definitely better sellers than buyers, and I think there will be so long as it's one of the best ways to monetize merits.  Like I've said early and often, converters are a really strange commodity, where people are dying to sell them to make inf, and people are dying to buy them to make even more inf.

A chicken in every pot, dogs and cats living together, quotations and metaphors mixing freely. It's paradise in our time.

• Like 4