An Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

17 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I started this, just to get by with a placeholder, though nobody picked it up and ran with it:

https://coh-homecoming-unofficial.fandom.com/wiki/City_Of_Heroes:_Homecoming_Unofficial_Wiki

. . . . .

But then, I'm starting to get sadly used to being ghosted, it seems to be getting to be par for the course for this whole community lately. 😢

It's not you; it's fandom.com.  I absolutely refuse to visit that site.  It's just bad news.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Well, as I said, I wanted to clone ParagonWiki onto my own non-Fandom private server. But when I ask for access to do so... crickets. Frustrating.

At this point, it seems like wait and see would be a better approach, because if the deal goes thru, we can just update Paragon Wiki with all things HC...and if the deal doesn't go thru, well then, none of this will matter anymore

• Like 2

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Keep in mind that even under normal circumstances contract negotiations can take months. These are far from normal circumstances.

^^^ Truth.

Once, years and years ago, I wanted to run a game, on a Role-Play Online (rpol.net) forum using the tabletop rules for the Dream Park RPG.  Problem was, it had been out of print for several years, and was hard to find even before that.  So I possibly had the only copy among the quarter-million users of that forum.  That means, I'd have to type the books up, all of them, into the forum.

Major copyright violation, that.

Buuuut, I contacted the publisher, R. Talsorian games, to see if there was something I could work out with them.  They were amenable, so yayy!

Buuuut, their license to the IP (based on novels by Larry Nivven and Steve Barnes) had expired.  So, I had to contact them - out of the blue, total stranger and all - and ask for their permission.  With some promises of links to the books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc, they were also amenable.

Buuuuuuuuut, the system itself was something RTG still used for other games, and wanted to keep under control.  So, I had to work out a licensing contract that would specifically limit my ability to reproduce the gamebooks, thus protecting their copyrights, trademarks, and so forth.

This was for a tiny little thing, a game that might have had fifteen or twenty people involved, on a tiny little corner of a forum, that would not be advertised beyond that forum, where all parties involved were 100% happy to be as accommodating as possible.  A game that originally took two or three people a few months to create and publish.

And it took a few months to get it in order.

Now picture it's something that could involve hundreds of thousands, perhaps over a million, players.  That will be talked about far and wide.  That had a development budget of millions, and took a team of dozens years to make.

I wouldn't be surprised if the process took over a year.  I wouldn't even be especially surprised if it hits the two-year mark.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I feel like if things were still THAT far apart, they wouldn't have said even as much as they did.  It was painted as something like the heavy lifting was done, with details left to settle.  That could still take months, but I can't imagine years.

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 hour ago, Abraxus said:

That could still take months, but I can't imagine years.

To be clear, I mean "the entire process", not "what's left from here".

"From here", I'd guess six months to a year, and won't be especially surprised if it slips by another six months beyond even there.

1 hour ago, Abraxus said:

It was painted as something like the heavy lifting was done, with details left to settle.

The Devil, they say, is in the details.  I would say that the heavy-lifting part of it was just to get NCSoft to the table at all, and agree to work out those details at all.

Actually doing that, though?  That's the part that will take time.

Edited by PaxArcana
  • Like 2

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

2 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

The Devil, they say, is in the details.  I would say that the heavy-lifting part of it was just to get NCSoft to the table at all, and agree to work out those details at all.

My concern would be: does the part of NCSoft that they have at the table have the support of the part of NCSoft that actually makes the final decisions?  But no way to know that until a positive outcome -- if a negative outcome we'll never know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ohioknight said:

My concern would be: does the part of NCSoft that they have at the table have the support of the part of NCSoft that actually makes the final decisions?  But no way to know that until a positive outcome -- if a negative outcome we'll never know.

Oh..if it's negative, you'll know...one day, you won't be able to log in...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

11 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

Oh..if it's negative, you'll know...one day, you won't be able to log in...

Agreed. I understand some of the skepticism previously expressed in the thread. But what I think some people aren't getting is that if the deal doesn't work out, HC and the other bigger servers are almost definitely going away. So even if the deal isn't perfect, this is necessary.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

Tony V has stepped down. 

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13601.0

I don't know any details beyond what is in his post and therefore have no opinion one way or the other. But it seems relevant, so I'm sharing. 

I have an opinion.  This is a guy who has dedicated YEARS of his life to this game without compensation and has now been asked to "step away".

This concerns me.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Tony appointed a new owner of Titan this morning (Sekoia), and said basically that this person has been doing it de-facto for quite some time already.  He said he has really just been the "name" behind the Titan Network, when this other fellow has been the real driver of things.  He just made it official with this appointment.  He also indicated that the "merge with Homecoming" thing was a bit premature, and they would be remaining separate for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Abraxus

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

I have an opinion.  This is a guy who has dedicated YEARS of his life to this game without compensation and has now been asked to "step away".

This concerns me.

It sounds like Sekioa has really been the one running things for quite some time, and that Tony was just the recognizable name attached to Titan.  He didn't seem to have an issue with it, seemed content with what had been accomplished during his tenure, and was ready to move on.  If he's cool with it, I see no reason to get concerned unless we are given a more solid reason to do so.

• Like 1

As I read it, he was only asked to "step away" from the negotiations, not from Titan itself.  Stepping down from Titan was his decision.

I admit, I was a little concerned about him handing it over to Homecoming, and was much happier to hear it's going to remain independent.

Nothing wrong with this place, of course, but I always considered Titan a fansite for CoH as a whole, not just for one post-shutdown implementation out of the, what, five or six that are running now?  I especially had concerns about the Wiki, which I *like* as a snapshot of the game when it went down, the starting point for all the Rogue Servers, not just here.

All in all, though, I'll be sad to see TonyV leave the Titan forums, but it doesn't sound like he's being forced out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

Nothing wrong with this place, of course, but I always considered Titan a fansite for CoH as a whole, not just for one post-shutdown implementation out of the, what, five or six that are running now?  I especially had concerns about the Wiki, which I *like* as a snapshot of the game when it went down, the starting point for all the Rogue Servers, not just here.

Titan could easily fill the role of being a hub, for all the specific-server subcommunities within the fandom.  Direct links to them, maybe each one having one or two accounts for "official guy from ____" posts to the forums, that sort of thing.

As for the wiki .... I agree.  It shouldn't get completely taken by any one server or server-group; each of them can "fork" from the last-day-of-live form the wiki is currently in, to update for their own specific environment.

@Cipher, @Jimmy

Do you guys have any comment on this?  

Is Titan going to stay independent going forward?  Is Titan, and just not Tony V still a part of these negotiations?

Seems like big news...and silence is always worrisome in those situations.

1 hour ago, justicebeliever said:

Seems like big news...and silence is always worrisome in those situations.

This.

Altho,I can see A delayed response with TonyV saying one thing last night,and then this morning this other guy Sekoia saying the complete opposite. 

This makes me wonder about the negotiations too  .....I mean how the hell you can't figure out what to do with your own organisation?