An Update from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

• City Council
1 hour ago, justicebeliever said:

@Cipher, @Jimmy

Do you guys have any comment on this?  

Is Titan going to stay independent going forward?  Is Titan, and just not Tony V still a part of these negotiations?

Seems like big news...and silence is always worrisome in those situations.

Our only comment is that everyone should be aware that Titan will remain independent under the leadership of Sekoia, that we will continue to work with them, and that we wish Tony the best in the future.

• Like 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

I don't believe Titan is leading these negotiations.  That is the Homecoming team, or at least, that's how I understand it.  Titan personnel (i.e. Tony) were also involved, thought to what extent, we never really knew.  I don't know if someone else (Sekoia) from Titan will take Tony's place there, or if Titan will continue to be involved with the deal at all.  But, the delayed response is likely the result of having to negotiate all of those hurdles, without having to give away specifics that would go against the NDA.  Not an easy task, I'm sure.

What was no more, is REBORN!

51 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

Our only comment is that everyone should be aware that Titan will remain independent under the leadership of Sekoia, that we will continue to work with them, and that we wish Tony the best in the future.

I appreciate the response, but "continue to work with them" is pretty vague.  I am still working with my neighbor to get his dog to stop barking in the middle of the night, all night.

Last we heard from HC, once the negotiations were completed, ParagonWiki would fold into Homecoming and we would be able to update it with Homecoming specific content.

Last we heard from HC, Titan Network was part of these negotiations with NCSoft.

Should we assume neither of these are true at this point?  I want to be clear, saying that neither is true at this point doesn't mean to me the SKY IS FALLING, DOOMtm or anything else dramatic.  It doesn't mean to me that you are liars, or that NCSoft is destroying the world.  It just means that things changed, and you are being transparent with us.

What's NOT transparent, is getting this information second-hand at this point.  So TonyV said what he said, Sekoia said what Sekoia said.  Can we get some clarity and depth to the level that Titan network is getting it?

Edited by justicebeliever
  • Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

6 minutes ago, drboston said:

Do we still have a commitment from Homecoming leadership that there is still absolutely zero chance that this will be for-profit?

Absolutely zero chance is pretty impossible to promise anybody.  I rarely leave the house, but I know there is still a small chance I could get hit by a bus today.  They have committed to keep it free to play, why should we doubt them at this point?  We don't have new data to contradict it.

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• City Council
1 minute ago, justicebeliever said:

I appreciate the response, but "continue to work with them" is pretty vague.  I still working with my neighbor to get his dog to stop barking in the middle of the night, all night.

Last we heard from HC, once the negotiations were completed, ParagonWiki would fold into Homecoming and we would be able to update it with Homecoming specific content.

Last we heard from HC, Titan Network was part of these negotiations with NCSoft.

Should we assume neither of these are true at this point?  I want to be clear, saying that neither is true at this point doesn't mean to me the SKY IS FALLING, DOOMtm or anything else dramatic.  It doesn't mean to me that you are liars, or that NCSoft is destroying the world.  It just means that things changed, and you are being transparent with us.

What's NOT transparent, is getting this information second-hand at this point.  So TonyV said what he said, Sekoia said what Sekoia said.  Can we get some clarity and depth to the level that Titan network is getting it?

The plan has never been that Paragon Wiki would fold into Homecoming; I apologize if my statements elsewhere or those of my colleagues have confused this matter. Titan folding into Homecoming in any way would be a whole big can of data-protection worms that we don't want to open. As for the wiki itself being updated, the details are nebulous at this point but something like that is still in the cards.

Representatives of Titan are still party to the talks. The only change is that Tony is no longer a representative of Titan, and thus is no longer party to the talks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

20 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

The plan has never been that Paragon Wiki would fold into Homecoming; I apologize if my statements elsewhere or those of my colleagues have confused this matter. Titan folding into Homecoming in any way would be a whole big can of data-protection worms that we don't want to open. As for the wiki itself being updated, the details are nebulous at this point but something like that is still in the cards.

Representatives of Titan are still party to the talks. The only change is that Tony is no longer a representative of Titan, and thus is no longer party to the talks.

This is a very fair response.  Thank you!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GM Widower said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Speaking for myself only, the news hit me like a Mack Truck last night.  I've been preoccupied with settling things after moving out-of-state.  I was just as surprised as all of you were, and I reacted similarly when the developments were ongoing last night.  I did sigh a bit of relief when Sekoia took over the site.  He's the one who hired me, and he's been a solid advisor and friend to me over the years.  I think the site is in good hands.  In the coming months, hopefully, all of you will see that too.

If it hasn't been said already, we'll work with Homecoming where it makes sense to do so, and we're not going anywhere.  I know the job of "Forum Moderator" isn't anywhere as important as "Developer" or "Admin", but I will continue to do all I can for the community.  And in that part, I know I'm not alone. 😁

Edited by Tahquitz
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:40 PM, Tahquitz said:

I know the job of "Forum Moderator" isn't anywhere as important as "Developer" or "Admin", but I will continue to do all I can for the community.

All of the parts are important for a system to function properly. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this.

• Like 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• Jimmy unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later

On 9/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, Myrmidon said:
On 9/12/2019 at 8:40 PM, Tahquitz said:

I know the job of "Forum Moderator" isn't anywhere as important as "Developer" or "Admin", but I will continue to do all I can for the community.  And in that part, I know I'm not alone. 😁

All of the parts are important for a system to function properly. Thank you for the time and effort you put into this.

I doubt you'll find any Legacy forumites thinking that Zwillinger wasn't "anywhere near as important as a "Developer" or "Admin"," or Cuppa Jo or Ex Libre or Freitag and you shouldn't think so either.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, Abraxus said:

No, I believe they mean "Homecoming" version of free...which is free. 😉

I love that we can donate to them now,  and I want to support future development too.

I just don't want winning/progression to be based on the size of your wallet like most 'free' games now a days... or loot boxes lol

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

I have becoming absolutely fascinated with this story since learning of CoH's resurrection a few days ago and my journey has led me to this thread. I'll admit that I've only read the replies of highlighted posts and then the entire thread since Tony's departure, but I get the gist of it.

That said, I'm a bit distraught at the lack of information or any response by anyone connected to it in two months. From "Tony was asked to step down" and then nothing for months is concerning. Was this conversation continued elsewhere? Have discussions halted or gone south in some way?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greg-J said:

I have becoming absolutely fascinated with this story since learning of CoH's resurrection a few days ago and my journey has led me to this thread. I'll admit that I've only read the replies of highlighted posts and then the entire thread since Tony's departure, but I get the gist of it.

That said, I'm a bit distraught at the lack of information or any response by anyone connected to it in two months. From "Tony was asked to step down" and then nothing for months is concerning. Was this conversation continued elsewhere? Have discussions halted or gone south in some way?

Thats how these things go,  they will be under lawyers instructions to say nothing, and more than likely there will also be an NDA as part of the negotiations, hearing nothing just means they are still talking (and the fact they are spending half their monthly donations on a lawyer...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

• 4 weeks later

In routine situations, where everyone is in accord, finalizing and documenting an agreement can take weeks.

In this situation, they are trying to develop a new type of non-profit organization.

It will be done either when:

1) It's done.

2) It all falls apart.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

• 5 months later

I just learned of this project and made an account yesterday. Here's to hoping they come to a good solution with NCsoft.

• Like 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 10/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, Abraxus said:

No, I believe they mean "Homecoming" version of free...which is free. 😉

I think it's more like a "Pay what you want" model.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

I think it's more like a "Pay what you want" model.

To be clear, there is no compulsory payment.  Donations/contributions are completely voluntary, so if "Pay what you want" is nothing, that's perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Abraxus said:

To be clear, there is no compulsory payment.  Donations/contributions are completely voluntary, so if "Pay what you want" is nothing, that's perfectly fine. 

❤️❤️❤️

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I would be happy to not only contribute to running the servers (I would otherwise try to run my own, I run ARK, Conan and Minecraft servers as well, and have been with friends since Battlefield 1942 days).

But also contribute to any lawyer fees and any licencing that would be needed for a deal with NCSoft. I really hope they can find a solution there.

I would easily spend a month of my income if that means we get to keep the game around.

• Like 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

Well, as it happens, Saturday (May 30) is the next opportunity! 

Typically the window opens around noon ET/9-ish PT.  There is an announcement in the Homecoming Discord, and here on the forums, and they accept donations until the pre-established goal is met.  In the past, that has taken anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.  Sometimes a little longer, depending on the goal.

6 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Well, as it happens, Saturday (May 30) is the next opportunity! 

Typically the window opens around noon ET/9-ish PT.  There is an announcement in the Homecoming Discord, and here on the forums, and they accept donations until the pre-established goal is met.  In the past, that has taken anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.  Sometimes a little longer, depending on the goal.

I work in Astronomy, I only think in UCT timezone, but I understand that it's about 16:00 then.

• Like 2