is there way prevent some clients from downlaoding?

Papaschtroumpf

Tequila won't let me play the regular game until it has finished to update the beta client, or more exactly its new pigg files , which appears to be a significant one today.

That's poor design, so I want to remove beta from the options list, save some harddrive space and let me play the game instead of waiting

how do I do that?

If you click on the live version you want to play it will stop downloading the beta and let you in to the live version. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I, too, have a SSD. Not really relevant though, is it?

My CoH folder is 4.96gb which is really low. 

For a couple of comparisons:

Civ 6 folder space - 16.3gb

Xcom (inc long war mod) folder space - 18.8gb

Elite Dangerous folder space - 20.4gb

They are the only 4 games installed on my PC so nothing else to compare with. 

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I tried the double-click method and it tried to load but wouldn't.  Since hc is before homecoming alphabetically maybe there are patches or updates for that as well that I won't notice until the downloader gets there?  On my hotspot this is taking a very long time but if I have it downloaded for beta then when it goes to live it should be faster download, yes?

54 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I tried the double-click method and it tried to load but wouldn't.  Since hc is before homecoming alphabetically maybe there are patches or updates for that as well that I won't notice until the downloader gets there?  On my hotspot this is taking a very long time but if I have it downloaded for beta then when it goes to live it should be faster download, yes?

It seemed like that with the last couple but I could just be hallucinating.  We can only hope.

4 hours ago, madpoet67 said:

LOL... at your puny little games... WoW is at 68.5 gb.

Oooh, oooooh, is this an e-peen contest?  Because, LOL at your puny game ...

Stellaris (with DLC, Workshop, and the Save files from my current game): 109GB

SubNautica: Below Zero (with save file from one game): 109GB

.... so, what's my prize for winning?  😄 😄 😄

stellaris.jpg

subzero.jpg

• Haha 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

But seriously, my D drive is only for games, and I provisioned it with 500GB of space.

I should probably have went all the way to a terabyte for it, but rearranging partitions is a PITA, so ... 😄

Edited by PaxArcana

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I would really appreciate this as well, as I have limited data, so downloading something I don't need is super annoying.

• Thanks 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

8 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

but rearranging partitions is a PITA, so ... 😄

And a good way to lose data if you're not careful or get IO errors.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Just now, WanderingAries said:

And a good way to lose data if you're not careful or get IO errors.

Yes.  Which is why, if I were to do it, I'd first toss a disc in my R/W Blu-Ray drive and back those files up.  All, like, 1.2 terabytes of them.  Which would (a) take multiple disks, and (b) take many, many hours.

ONLY THEN could I actually begin planning out new partitions, including a temporary "dummy" partition to facilitate moving files around.

Right now, I've got:

C - 222GB (128GB free); OS, and things that refuse to install anywhere but the C drive
D - 499GB (290GB free); Games

E - 749GB (639GB free); Documents & Misc

F - 588GB (255GB free); Music, Photos, videos

D, E, and F are all the same physical HDD; Cis a separate drive, an SSD.

What I should have done with that HDD, is:

D - 1TB; Games (~590 would be free)

E - 250GB; Documents & Misc (~140 would still be free)

F - 586GB; Music, Photos, videos (~253 would still be free)

... ah well, next PC.  (When D will be it's own, separate SSD.  Just for games.  With an .m2 form factor, for ridiculously-high R/W speeds. Hehehe.)

Yes, I figured it was a joke, and just wanted to play along.

Sadly, I screwed it up.  Somehow, the "size" check I did was on my ENTIRE Steam Library, not just those two individual games.

I don't just lose ... I (inadvertently) tried to cheat.  I think that means my e-peen gets cut off with a rusty butter knife.  😭

I could recover, and just install Shadow of Mordor (that one IS over 100GB), but that'd mean spending 8 to 12 hours downloading it first, and ... um ... no, thank you.  😄 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 11:34 PM, ZorkNemesis said:

Try double clicking; it stopped mid-download and just let me play when I chose the live 64-bit client.

Tequila was downloading some HC.*, updating something. Probably one of the betas. I double clicked the 64bit client. The game loaded and Tequila kept right on downloading. Honestly, I was surprised I wasn't lagging or anything in game while that was going on. Seeing as I'm using my cell phone as a hot spot to get internet.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:05 PM, PaxArcana said:

Yes, I figured it was a joke, and just wanted to play along.

Sadly, I screwed it up.  Somehow, the "size" check I did was on my ENTIRE Steam Library, not just those two individual games.

In that case, I LOL at your puny Steam directory.  Mine is 210GB.
Then I have Star Citizen at 48GB, Secret World Legends at 47GB, Black Desert Online at 34GB.

A few other small games and I'm running out of space on one of my 500GB SSD's.

• Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

21 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

In that case, I LOL at your puny Steam directory.  Mine is 210GB.
Then I have Star Citizen at 48GB, Secret World Legends at 47GB, Black Desert Online at 34GB.

A few other small games and I'm running out of space on one of my 500GB SSD's.

That's just what I have installed right now.  I couldn't physically fit the whole thing onto that 499GB partition at once.

And then there's GOG.  And Origin.  And UPlay.  😄 

yayy steam.jpg

yayy steam 2.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, PaxArcana said:

Yes.  Which is why, if I were to do it, I'd first toss a disc in my R/W Blu-Ray drive and back those files up.  All, like, 1.2 terabytes of them.  Which would (a) take multiple disks, and (b) take many, many hours.

Heh, my current configuration Not counting the redundant drives kept offline/externally. Note, these are whole drives, not partitions.

C - 51.2Gb Free / 250Gb SSD, EVO 860, OS/Apps/Games, Games ~ 61.7Gb because I have consoles for that TBH.

D - 477Gb / 1Tb HDD, HGST pull from PS4, Data (Music collection including ISOs, Software ISO archive, Documents, Recent Pictures, Recent Videos)

E - 2.39Tb / 4Tb, HDD, WD, Backup (System backups for multiple devices including this one)

F - 6.83Tb / 12Tb, HDD, Seagate EXO, Archive (Historical archive of family photos and videos covering half a century, only a fraction of my project >.<)

S - 198Gb / 250Gb, M.2 SSD, EVO 850, Swap (Temporary files, Swap file, and anything else that benefits from the faster storage with a temporary lifetime)

D, E, and F have matching redundant drives for obvious reasons. Notably, because of a sad story of the early digital camera days when I lost 2 years worth of things while shuffling partitions because I didn't have enough space to move things around properly. Luckily the pictures probably weren't valuable enough "cry about".

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

2 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

That's just what I have installed right now.  I couldn't physically fit the whole thing onto that 499GB partition at once.

And then there's GOG.  And Origin.  And UPlay.  😄 

yayy steam.jpg

Yes, but how many of the games have you actually played? Many of the people who use those services (namely steam) tend to grab the bundle sales and end up with hundreds of games they never play. My kettle-black story is that I have the Metroid series on my U, but have barely played the first one. Most the rest of my console games (130 across all platforms) have been played before. The PC games I have are very focused on series' that I've enjoyed from the past, but actually will play on rare occasion (can't play long sessions due to hands :/ ).

If anyone likes to keep track of their games across ANY service/console, then I'd like to point you at an android app called "VG Collection Tracker (Pro)". You can scan/enter your title and even customize the entries (to say match your version of the game).

On 8/24/2019 at 3:13 AM, madpoet67 said:

LOL... at your puny little games... WoW is at 68.5 gb.

I scoff at your puny little MMO.

Elder Scrolls Online is 78.4 GB.

Any other 1-ups? 

🙂

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Nothing like getting a bunch of men together to talk about how big their hard disks are. 

Myself included of course.

What ya need, if your MOBO supports it is a good sized NVME drive. Doesnt help much with initial game load times - in game texture, level, teleports (wow style) and the like it really helps.

I can run by the church in The Secret World with no stuttering on the NVME. Agartha almost none.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **