Homecoming Server Update (May 7th): Donations

Cipher

Glad you went with OVH - I've been using them as a host for years and have nothing but praise for them.

Oh, and of course I threw a chunk of cash at you.  Looks like that bill's going to be obliterated in a hurry.

OVH was good to us for swglegends so Im glad you chose them as the host.

I've only had bad experiences with them. Seeing that name in the OP was a bit of a shock tbh.

I've heard people getting their servers blocked without getting notified why, and when they requested an unblock they were denied. But, they were still expected to pay up despite losing access to their data. Their backups are also unreliable, if they're even there at all.

When it comes to Europe, OVH, Strato and Servage are companies to absolutely avoid at all costs imho.

This is a terrible idea. Why do you think NCSoft will let you do this? You're already a large server running copyrighted material, and now you're accepting monetary donations? I hope this does work out for you guys though.

They are a non profit. At most NCSoft would make them stop and sue them for the profits that were made which (assuming they are running the non profit correctly) is 0.

They, NCSoft, could add in their losses. Also 0.

But I'm not even an amatuer about legal stuff. Just a guess.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

This is a terrible idea. Why do you think NCSoft will let you do this? You're already a large server running copyrighted material, and now you're accepting monetary donations? I hope this does work out for you guys though.

They are a non profit. At most NCSoft would make them stop and sue them for the profits that were made which (assuming they are running the non profit correctly) is 0.

if the guy from titans network succeds with his negotiations and they have to pay a monthly fee for there licensed fan server, NCSoft could even claim losses

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

if the guy from titans network succeds with his negotiations and they have to pay a monthly fee for there licensed fan server, NCSoft could even claim losses

If they do come to an agreement, couldn't Homecoming then lease a licence from them?

If they do come to an agreement, couldn't Homecoming then lease a licence from them?

depends if NCSoft would license an other Fan server project or the license for Titans allows a sublicense.

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

Dam that closed fast.... was asleep... UK here.. O well will donate next month.. Maybe look into setting up a donation subscription type service like when COH was subscription base will be happy to pay monthly to play.

LOL...I was thinking that if every person would donate $5.00, the amount would be quite impressive. Many of use, like my old retired self, are on a fixed income but I can easily for over at least that amount each month.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

If I remember correctly (and I'm easily wrong) the guys from Titan have been trying to negotiate with NCSoft since before the original shutdown, hitting a brick wall every time. I would be surprised if they managed to break the impasse after all this time. Unless these (and the others) fan-funded servers can be used as leverage by the Titan people to pry something loose.

For my understanding the last time they had negotiatings to keep COH alive as fan server, NCSoft claimed they dont have the server files, this made further negotiations pointles

They also had negotiations for a license to make a new mmo using the COH IP which actually hit a brick wall because thats a completly different kind of license that NCsoft dosnt want to give

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

Damn you all! I didn't see the announcement last night and just saw it this morning and now I can't donate :-(. It's amazing how much support the community is giving. Good jobs guys. I'll try to get my donation in next month.

Maybe setup patreon account? Would be way less direct...

call it "please donate to help us clean our shoes every month" and post it in forums as official homecoming shoe donations

I agree that you'd have to call it something innocuous, you couldn't have an e-trail that obvious in a permanent prominent place.

But Patreon isn't a hat that you pass around as needed. They could easily get into windfall territory with a Patreon, and they are trying very hard to avoid that.

Awww, I just saw this when I logged into the game today and came to the forums to donate only to see it has been met. I am happy to donate for the return of my beloved CoX and will gladly do so next month.

If you are keeping track of those willing to donate but unable to please add me to that list.

I was just reading the login notice and came right over to the forum. How wonderful that this community is willing to give back as much and more! I'll try again when it's open. I want to give back too. I can't tell you how much it means to me to be back in City of Heroes! To the Homecoming team and all those that made this happen, you have my sincere gratitude! Thank You!

I am having trouble wrapping my head around this.  I understand the LLC to protect them from taxes, as well as to shield their personal assets from being used to pay off fines or things.  I don't really know what the non-profit part has to do with anything.

IANAL, so I'm making a supposition at this point, but because a non-profit is required by law to use its income only to cover costs, I think this closes off a potential avenue for NCsoft to charge that they're profiting off of the misappropriation of their property, which is a separate claim from simply using their code without permission, and has larger penalties associated with it that they can personally be hit with.

Good grief! That went quick!

I've been busy with school, so haven't been playing as much as I'd like or really paying attention to the forums or Discord. Only just found out that donations were live because my cousin messaged me about it. Immediately came here and BAM, goals were met within hours rather than days!  :o

Sorry I wasn't quick enough to donate, but happy goals are being met!  8)

I will gladly donate in the future (if I am quick enough)!  :)

You know what kind of community the game created (and you help bring back) when people are legit SAD that they can't give more!

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)