"fun" AoE Archtype for parties not too Fotm?

Swiftmage

I know fun is subjective, but I'm looking for something different that might not be seen in every party with the primary focus of dealing good AoE damage but also helping the party with debuffs or CC if its within their wheelhouse.  Having said that - I'd like to avoid fire, as it seems to be the most common "best aoe" damage type.  No Spines, or SS - I have them already.  Elec/SD is out, mainly because I'll probably already make one eventually and just want to do something different for now 🙂

I've gone ahead and narrowed down a little of each AT that I assume would be good choices for AoE and would love feedback on any of them, especially if you've played more than one.  Any other sets that I'm missing that might pair really well together for AoE I'd love to hear about!

Blasters
DP, Archery, AR and Water look interesting to me.  Archery not /as/ much since its doesn't look as flashy.  In terms of secondaries I dont really know much about blasters, but I'd guess Elec was a good choice for aoe shenanigans.  (I know rad has some AoE, but I'm not a fan of their animations)

Controllers

Plant seems pretty obvious, but not sure what to pair it with Storm always sounds good thanks to FR, Darkness Control is also on my radar even though its not as AoE as plant, I've been wanting to make one anyway.  Kin or Time might work as a decent secondary as well here.

Defenders

Kind of a pattern here, but the same secondaries of Controllers (Storm/Kin/Time?) Same primaries as Blaster (DP/AR/Water/Archery) would there be a better primary for boosting damage for me or the team?

Scrapper

Since Elec and Spines are out, I dont know much better AoE sets for scrappers, TW, Katana or Dual Blades maybe? Not sure how wide DBs cones are.  Secondaries sounds like Bio is the largest potential for more damage.

Peacebringer and Warshade

I honestly dont know much about them.  They seem to have a decent amount of AoE available, but I know PBs have crazy knockback.  Any insight with these is welcome.

Brute

Pattern again, like with Scrappers Katana/TW and possible Battle Axe or War Mace too.  Again, Bio probably for secondary.

Stalker

Not sure if its 1:1 for scrappers and brutes, but I'd guess the same sets probably apply?  Ninja Blades, Dual Blades maybe StJ?

Mastermind

Not sure I'm ready to dive into MMs yet, Robotics seemed to be the most likely, but I'd rather do another AT I think

Dominator

Once again, Plant seems to be the obvious choice, with Darkness next in line.  Secondaries seem like Psi or Martial is the way to go

Corruptor

Basically just reverse my defender choices.  This might be the only one I'd do Fire Blast still, but I'm on the fence.

Widow

They actually seem like they'd be fun, help with the buffs, and both paths have AoE options.  Not sure which one is more damage, I would guess Fortunata is more AoE, while Widow is more single target?

Soldier

Crab looks like it has a lot of AoE options, but the recharges are quite long.  I think Widow looks more interesting than Solider but I don't know how it would be in practice. 

Sentinel

Last but not least, no surprise here, Water Blast, Dual Pistols.  Bio again I suppose for 2ndary?

Overall, the most AT I'm leaning towards is the Plant Controller or Dominator, with Warshade next as I dont really know much about them, but I'd love to hear any thoughts on everything else - I'll probably make a lot of these eventually anyway lol. 

Edited by Swiftmage

Blasters are always good for AoE. Archery and water are both very fun to play. I can also recommend a crab. Currently have a crabbermind build myself. It's pure AoE while the pets mop up any remaining mobs you can already hop in to the next mob group and start AoEing. Crabs are also very durable to do this.  Added bonus are the massive leadership buffs for any teammates. You can really steamroll with a well built crab and make the team your on even better.

I can't recall where it ranked in the FotM listings, but a Water/fire blaster would give you plenty of AoE potential with a bit of mitigation compared to Fire/fire.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I have an Archery/Devices blaster that I am seriously getting a kick out of.  This character was made for a specific purpose, assuming the trick or treat event can be turned on here: /Devices is queen of Halloween. 

Another character I've been enjoying is a kinetic/rad scrapper.  This one's being built for speed. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Crab Spider.  I'm not sure what you're looking at for recharge times, but they're not abnormally long.  By the time you get some solid slotting up in the late 20's /30's, you can have an uninterrupted AoE attack chain of Venom Grenade, Frag, and Suppression, with the option of adding Heavy Burst, dropping one of them later once you're fully slotted up.

You provide solid -Res and -Def with your attacks and +Def, +Dam and +Tohit with your leadership.  Your damage is scale 1.0, which isnt far behind a Blaster's 1.125, and is basically the same after Venom Grenade's -20% resist debuff.  

Also, you can be tanky as all hell.  Soft capped defense, 50% resists across the board and a strong heal/+HP in serum.  

In my opinion, the best AoE character and general +4/8 content grinder.  I am currently struggling with playing anything else because of how strong it is.  

14 hours ago, Beul said:

Blasters are always good for AoE. Archery and water are both very fun to play. I can also recommend a crab. Currently have a crabbermind build myself. It's pure AoE while the pets mop up any remaining mobs you can already hop in to the next mob group and start AoEing. Crabs are also very durable to do this.  Added bonus are the massive leadership buffs for any teammates. You can really steamroll with a well built crab and make the team your on even better.

9 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

Crab Spider.  I'm not sure what you're looking at for recharge times, but they're not abnormally long.  By the time you get some solid slotting up in the late 20's /30's, you can have an uninterrupted AoE attack chain of Venom Grenade, Frag, and Suppression, with the option of adding Heavy Burst, dropping one of them later once you're fully slotted up.

You provide solid -Res and -Def with your attacks and +Def, +Dam and +Tohit with your leadership.  Your damage is scale 1.0, which isnt far behind a Blaster's 1.125, and is basically the same after Venom Grenade's -20% resist debuff.  

Also, you can be tanky as all hell.  Soft capped defense, 50% resists across the board and a strong heal/+HP in serum.  

In my opinion, the best AoE character and general +4/8 content grinder.  I am currently struggling with playing anything else because of how strong it is.  

I think you guys have sold me on the Crabs.  I'll try them out first!

On 9/9/2019 at 5:34 AM, Swiftmage said:

Having said that - I'd like to avoid fire, as it seems to be the most common "best aoe" damage typ

There is a reason that fire is so common, though.  And it is actually pretty fun. I mostly play AOE focused ranged characters - usually variants of farming builds as corruptor / blaster.  

By by far my favorite toon has been fire/storm corruptor.  The damage is obscene at times and the AOE damage is enough that most single target attacks ( and a good amount of AOE’s) are at the least enhanced by scourge, and often overkill the targets. 

In the past few days I’ve been working with a sonic/storm variant, and I’ve got to say it’s been very pleasantly surprising.  If you get enough resistance debuffs layered and then toss out ionic, for instance, the AOE damage becomes AOE delete.   Literally zapped a +4 boss on a fire map from about 60% health to dead, from just ionic after applying debuffs.  I think sonic damage may actually be very competitive with fire in some scenarios.  So that might be interesting for you. Just play with the sound OFF. lol 

I would avoid water if I were you.  I’ve done several aoe focused water builds and, while water offers a very complete set, it gets out paced very quickly.  And the fun factor goes away when you’re just watching mobs bounce, without any real damage 

Edited by natewest1987

On 9/9/2019 at 5:34 AM, Swiftmage said:

I know fun is subjective, but I'm looking for something different that might not be seen in every party with the primary focus of dealing good AoE damage but also helping the party with debuffs or CC if its within their wheelhouse.

I'm really enjoying my archery/tactical arrow blaster.  Pretty much all ranged, some good AoE damage and controls.  Highly mobile and very self sufficient.

I also very much enjoy both gravity/energy dominators or gravity/storm controllers.  Both are very good to have around and provide both soft and hard controls.

I also find darkness control/electricity assault to be a fun combination for dominators.

I'm currently leveling a claws/bio armor brute, who plays at a breakneck pace and is very versatile, (adaptable defenses plus a mix of melee and some mid-ranged attacks).

Cheers!

Edited by biostem

I really really like Martial Arts.  The attacks fire off so quickly and look good doing it.  And Crane Kick is my favorite move in the game.  Finishing off a baddie with a straight Crane Kick to the mouth and the resulting KB.  The only thing that can top that is adding destructible elements and have the resulting KBed mob go THROUGH a wall or smash a crate or something.  Heck yeah.

Edit:  Whoops I missed the AOE part.  Er, MA doesn't have much of that.  But it's fun anyway! 🙂

Edited by Xeres
Missed AOE

Titan Weapon scrapper is so fun, it's not a set for everyone though. It has the whole momentum mechanic that some people can't stand but the damage and AoE that it dishes out is top notch. I personally run it TW/Bio for the +25% damage you get from /Bio. That being said /Bio isn't the most harmonious pairing with TW because you need to be pressing your "don't die" buttons which sometimes makes you waste your momentum window (until you get properly IOd anyway), but it still works very well.

Was out of town for a bit but I did make a few to mixed results. 

Water/Energy Blaster (25, current fav)

Plant/Martial Dom (22, 2nd fav)

Arachnos Soldier (16, Not sure yet, needs more levels)

Warshade (14, Same as solider, but even less so)

On 9/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, natewest1987 said:

There is a reason that fire is so common, though.  And it is actually pretty fun. I mostly play AOE focused ranged characters - usually variants of farming builds as corruptor / blaster.  

By by far my favorite toon has been fire/storm corruptor.  The damage is obscene at times and the AOE damage is enough that most single target attacks ( and a good amount of AOE’s) are at the least enhanced by scourge, and often overkill the targets. 

In the past few days I’ve been working with a sonic/storm variant, and I’ve got to say it’s been very pleasantly surprising.  If you get enough resistance debuffs layered and then toss out ionic, for instance, the AOE damage becomes AOE delete.   Literally zapped a +4 boss on a fire map from about 60% health to dead, from just ionic after applying debuffs.  I think sonic damage may actually be very competitive with fire in some scenarios.  So that might be interesting for you. Just play with the sound OFF. lol 

I would avoid water if I were you.  I’ve done several aoe focused water builds and, while water offers a very complete set, it gets out paced very quickly.  And the fun factor goes away when you’re just watching mobs bounce, without any real damage 

You might have sold me on the Fire/storm Corr.  I've been trying to decide which /Storm AT to make between Corr and Controller but haven't decided yet.  I can't play Sonic, the sounds are just too annoying to me lol.   Funny though, the water blaster I made has been really fun.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:35 PM, MunkiLord said:

I vote for Archery. I just love Rain of Arrows.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:36 PM, biostem said:

I'm really enjoying my archery/tactical arrow blaster.  Pretty much all ranged, some good AoE damage and controls.  Highly mobile and very self sufficient.

I'll probably be trying out Archery here soon, see how I like it compared to Water.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:04 PM, Seigmoraig said:

Titan Weapon scrapper is so fun, it's not a set for everyone though. It has the whole momentum mechanic that some people can't stand but the damage and AoE that it dishes out is top notch. I personally run it TW/Bio for the +25% damage you get from /Bio. That being said /Bio isn't the most harmonious pairing with TW because you need to be pressing your "don't die" buttons which sometimes makes you waste your momentum window (until you get properly IOd anyway), but it still works very well.

I actually planned on making one AT that fulfills my original question, and TW might be what I pick for Scrapper, they do seem to have a ton of AoE and the weapons look really cool.

If I end up going Fire/Storm Corr that just leaves Controller.  Don't think I want to do Plant twice since I have on Dom, so unsure what to pick there that does the most damage.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Swiftmage said:

If I end up going Fire/Storm Corr that just leaves Controller.  Don't think I want to do Plant twice since I have on Dom, so unsure what to pick there that does the most damage.

Personally, I really love gravity control.  It's great, especially on controllers, since you can setup containment very easily, and you get extra damage from lift and propel vs targets affected by gravity distortion.  As for a secondary - storm works very well, here.  Of special note is freezing rain, as it is an AoE that applies a -def, -res, and some other nice debuffs.  Just be aware that running both of these sets is very energy intensive, so don't overlook the end redux enh's!  Cheers!

I've been really enjoying a Water/Time Blaster, might even end up as my 1st 50. I love the knockdown attack in water (I forget the name), you can fire it off every 15s or so. I also like that Time buffs my Regen/Recovery/Recharge so making me a more effective Hero. While I haven't played it in HC yet I also highly rate Energy Blast for blasters, especially if you can get into the mindset of hovering above your enemies and knocking them backwards (main downside of NRG) into the ground.

I'm also really enjoying an Electric/Rad Corruptor, AoE and damage is there especially once you get the debuff toggles running (-Def, -Res, -ToHit, -Dmg.) And as you progress a PBAoe Hold Toggle.

Plant/Dark always is a solid choice, that's my main farmer honestly. Titan/Bio is a lot of fun, but honestly feels a bit OP too. Those two are both good with Waterspout from the Leviathan pool, with procs for -res and +recharge. There's a lot more good AOE out there, but those are my current two favorite characters if you have money to invest in a solid build.

Water for any of the ranged sets is a nice choice if you want AOE. I've got it on a blaster, corr, and defender. I really need to get my Ice/Storm up some because I hear /Storm can generate some really good damage.

53 minutes ago, Swiftmage said:

Don't think I want to do Plant twice since I have on Dom

I've got both, a 50 Plant/Martial dom and a 50 Plant/Dark troller. Even though there's an overlapping set, they play so much differently at end game. The dom plays more like a scrapper with some control, but the troller feels more like a tank with controls, buffs, and debuffs. The troller is just far more survivable, and feels like it contributes more to the team.  So don't rule it out man!

12 hours ago, Swiftmage said:

You might have sold me on the Fire/storm Corr.  I've been trying to decide which /Storm AT to make between Corr and Controller but haven't decided yet.  I can't play Sonic, the sounds are just too annoying to me lol.   Funny though, the water blaster I made has been really fun.

I loved water initially.   It has the trappings of appearing like a perfect set, with all that it has to offer.   What ruined it for me was probably the success I found in fire primary and being able to use work-arounds to replicate a heal/sustain.   Water can still be pretty awesome though, and there are ways to exploit steam spray that I think most people overlook.   Highly dependent on debuffs, attack chain & luck, but I've seen the first tick of steam spray hit for 300 before with only self applied buffs / debuffs.   As an area-wide execute with scourge, it's pretty fun.  It is also neat that steam spray & freezing rain can each be slotted with annihilation -res & achiles heel -res.   I'm not too good at the math, but I'm sure putting both of them in there at least increases proc chance.    I don't like that water has so much smashing damage. 

I agree on Sonic, though I saw somewhere that someone had a fix for that where you can install custom sounds.   I didn't test them out, but they described them as a banshee scream.   Sonic/Storm is also interesting to play. 

Edited by natewest1987

On 9/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, Omega-202 said:

Can you share a build perhaps? I want to get into crabbing but don't know where to start.

14 hours ago, Extor Prime said:

Can you share a build perhaps? I want to get into crabbing but don't know where to start.

Here's my current build.  I'm always trying to figure out some way to fiddle with it though.  This set can comfortably and quickly solo +4/8 Council Earth lvl 50 farms solo with literally no risk of dying.  It also works really well at Yin and Manticore runs and has full stealth at a really low level to help with stealthing missions to help newbies when I want to exemplar.  At lvl 50, it's got 50% resist to all but Psi (which is at 13%, but could be patched up by slotting some of the psi resist IOs, if you want to drop something else), capped ranged defense and nearly capped all else defense without Support Hybrid toggled, and over capped defense with it on.  With Support Hybrid activated, even the pets are defense capped, which is amazing.   It's the best of a Blaster, Scrapper and Mastermind rolled into one character, while also providing a total of 20%-28% defense aura and a lot of -Def and -Res debuffs for team support.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Level 50 Natural Arachnos Soldier
Primary Power Set: Crab Spider Soldier
Secondary Power Set: Crab Spider Training
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Channelgun    
 (A) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage
 (3) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (3) Devastation - Damage/Recharge

Level 1:    Crab Spider Armor Upgrade    
 (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 2:    Longfang    
 (A) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
 (5) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)
 (5) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage
 (7) Damage Increase IO
 (7) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (9) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage

Level 4:    Stealth    
 (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 6:    Maneuvers    
 (46) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 8:    Suppression    
 (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
 (13) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
 (13) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
 (15) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (15) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
 (17) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 10:    Tactical Training: Maneuvers    
 (17) Red Fortune - Endurance
 (19) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
 (19) Red Fortune - Defense
 (21) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
 (21) Red Fortune - Defense/Recharge

Level 12:    Venom Grenade    
 (A) Superior Dominion of Arachnos - Accuracy/Damage
 (23) Superior Dominion of Arachnos - Damage/Recharge
 (23) Superior Dominion of Arachnos - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (25) Superior Dominion of Arachnos - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (25) Superior Dominion of Arachnos - Recharge/Chance for -Dmg and Terrorize
 (27) Superior Dominion of Arachnos - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 14:    Hasten    
 (A) Recharge Reduction IO
 (27) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16:    Kick    
 (A) Accuracy IO

Level 18:    Frag Grenade    
 (A) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
 (29) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
 (29) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage
 (31) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (31) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
 (31) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 20:    Tactical Training: Leadership    
 (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 22:    Mental Training    
 (A) Run Speed IO

Level 24:    Tough    
 (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
 (50) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 26:    Fortification    
 (A) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance
 (33) Aegis - Resistance
 (33) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
 (33) Steadfast Protection - Knockback Protection

Level 28:    Serum    
 (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
 (34) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
 (34) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
 (34) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
 (36) Preventive Medicine - Heal
 (36) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

Level 30:    Weave    
 (36) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
 (37) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 32:    Omega Maneuver    
 (A) Superior Spider's Bite - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
 (37) Superior Spider's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
 (37) Superior Spider's Bite - Damage/RechargeTime
 (39) Superior Spider's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
 (39) Superior Spider's Bite - RechargeTime/Global Toxic
 (39) Superior Spider's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 35:    Summon Spiderlings    
 (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
 (40) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
 (40) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
 (40) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (42) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
 (42) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

Level 38:    Call Reinforcements    
 (42) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (43) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
 (43) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
 (43) Call to Arms - Defense Bonus Aura for Pets
 (45) Soulbound Allegiance - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 41:    Mu Lightning    
 (A) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
 (45) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
 (45) Apocalypse - Damage
 (46) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (46) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 44:    Electrifying Fences    
 (A) Accuracy IO

Level 47:    Summon Striker    
 (48) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
 (48) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
 (48) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (50) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge
 (50) Edict of the Master - Defense Bonus

Level 49:    Combat Training: Defensive    

Level 1:    Brawl    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Dash    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Slide    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Quick    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Rush    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Surge    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Conditioning    
Level 1:    Sprint    
 (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 2:    Rest    
 (A) Empty

Level 4:    Ninja Run    
Level 2:    Swift    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Health    
 (A) Miracle - +Recovery
 (9) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance
 (11) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery

Level 2:    Hurdle    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Stamina    
 (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
 (11) Performance Shifter - EndMod

Level 50:    Musculature Radial Paragon    
Level 50:    Ion Core Final Judgement    
Level 50:    Support Radial Embodiment    
Level 50:    Reactive Core Flawless Interface    
Level 50:    Warworks Core Superior Ally    
Level 50:    Rebirth Radial Epiphany 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Extor Prime said:

Thank you! No travel powers? Also, if you have Kick, would it make sense to put the Force Feedback chance for recharge IO in it?

Nope, between IO bonuses, sprint, mental training and beast run, I am plenty fast.  I regularly beat super jumpers and fliers to mission doors.  

Regarding kick: yes, it could help and I have enough accuracy in bonuses and tactics that it might be a decent idea.  However, I just never use kick.  Its basically a waste of time in my attack chain to ever use it when I could be using literally anything else.  

However I will probably drop the Chance for Hold purple in Fences.  Just haven't bothered yet.  

Edit: also regarding Beast Run, my build has enough recovery that I can even run it in combat for a while without draining too badly.  With it off, I literally cant drain my end, even with every other toggle on and launching AoEs.  

Edited by Omega-202
more info

On 9/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Omega-202 said:

Crab Spider.  I'm not sure what you're looking at for recharge times, but they're not abnormally long. 

This is what I'd probably say too.  Crabs are great on their own and better on a team.  Can't go wrong.

I enjoy playing my Night Widow a lot though.  It's my go-to for a lot of things.  Forts are tougher to build because they need more recharge to be good (permanent Mind Link) so they give up some defense but back on live I enjoyed by Fort tons too.  They're both great on teams and totally capable of soloing +2 to +3 level content without breaking much of a sweat.  My Night Widow does pulls on MSR with little problem.  Widows/Forts are probably a little weaker than Crabs because they don't have the strong debuffs but they're still really solid and really flexible.