Devs: Too much powercreep, not enough challenge

shaggy

I'll ignore all of the childish and petty comments and just say it would be nice for either new difficult content to be added or additional difficulty settings that doesn't involve nerfing your character. 

All of the incarnate trials have become a breeze, even with the minimum required to start them. At least get rid of the minimum player requirements. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

You could design groups for the content as a challenge.

New content would be very nice - if you like raids and things, why not design some and submit those to the HC team, mock them up in the AE, etc.?

While Supes needed help sometimes, we have Incarnate Trials.

It's obvious IMO you are really trying to attack the 'gaming integrity' of anyone that does not want to play your way.

Don't need a Protestant Work Ethic in my video game I play for entertainment, thanks.

If you don't like the fact that people exist that play an MMO who don't really care for group content, oh well, go play one...

Pfft. Your 'lowest common demominator' comment shows all anyone needs to see, IMO.

Well sir, my comment was in response to coyotedancer saying that my earlier suggestion would ruin the whole gaming experience for smaller groups and solos, and my whole point was that games aren’t required to be designed for one type of play style. If you’ve bothered to read this thread then you’ve seen plenty of people think the current content is sufficient for challenging small groups, and it’s full group content that needs addressing, particularly the low dps ATs no longer having a role. Also, if you can’t accept a game being designed to where a solo person with a complete lack of acquired skills can complete all content as being the lowest common denominator, that’s your burden not mine. In any case the remark was brought up to demonstrate two different design philosophies, not to say whether coh falls in either. If you want a place where people are going fluff your ego and support all your opinions, try FB.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Shoulung said:

Well sir, my comment was in response to coyotedancer saying that my earlier suggestion would ruin the whole gaming experience for smaller groups and solos, and my whole point was that games aren’t required to be designed for one type of play style. If you’ve bothered to read this thread then you’ve seen plenty of people think the current content is sufficient for challenging small groups, and it’s full group content that needs addressing, particularly the low dps ATs no longer having a role. Also, if you can’t accept a game being designed to where a solo person with a complete lack of acquired skills can complete all content as being the lowest common denominator, that’s your burden not mine. In any case the remark was brought up to demonstrate two different design philosophies, not to say whether coh falls in either. If you want a place where people are going fluff your ego and support all your opinions, try FB.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The comment by coyotedancer is correct, by making content that requires specific ATs, it will prevent players from experiencing that content.

I am well aware of the facets of the conversation and the reprecussions of changes made to the core gameplay.

As I stated, new content would be awsome!

If you think you can do better, then go make some and stop waiting around for other people to produce what you desire.

But really, thanks for the afternoon laugh in your attempt to troll me, much love to you, @Shoulung, stay classy!

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling

On 9/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, DR_Mechano said:

As mentioned there IS harder Incarnate content but no bugger does it. I've seen a grand total of one call for the Magisterium trial specifically in all my time playing the game. That was the final iTrial (which is kind of odd because the Dilemma Diabolique trial actually takes place AFTER it...weird time line issues) and as such expects you to have all your incarnate powers unlocked in order to succeed, not to mention it requires more coordination than say the BAF trial which is essentially 'stand by door, summon pets'.

Remember originally incarnate XP was limited to these trials and each one gave a specific XP which couldn't be earned outside of those trials apart from in Dark Astoria. The final one gives advanced which is what unlocked the hybrid. Now you can unlock hybrid without doing any of the incarnate content (which to be honest I prefer, the incarnate XP grind was tedious on live) so it comes down to the salvage rewards. Why bother busting your backside for a slim chance at a salvage reward when a much easier trial could give you the same.

EXACTLY.. there is tons of hard content in the game.. but 80%-90% of the players dont do it.. I remember before the close out announcement grinding to just get purple io's / unlock incarnates.. it was very time consuming.. and i was just doing it for PVP.. which imho is the real end game content (for me atleast)..

back then i prob had 2-3 toons that were fully io'd and somewhat incarnated. now have 6 50's in just 2 months that have the same stuff.. and i love it that way.. me personally dont have the same time as i use to, to play cox.. and dont forget we are all on borrowed time.. ncsoft can call tomorrow and have litigation on the whole op.. 

so i say enjoy the moments we have now. do harder content.. go into pvp once in awhile.. and have fun.. these last couple of years without coh was pretty much garbage on my video game playing life.. no other game compared.. now that its back.. im soaking it all up

IRON ASCENSION - ALL HUMAN PB

IRON-WIDOW - WIDOW

IRON BLADE - PSI/NINJA BLASTER

IRON RAIN - WATER/MA BLASTER

45 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The comment by coyotedancer is correct, by making content that requires specific ATs, it will prevent players from experiencing that content.

I am well aware of the facets of the conversation and the reprecussions of changes made to the core gameplay.

If you think you can do better, then go make some and stop waiting around for other people to produce what you desire.

But really, thanks for the afternoon laugh in your attempt to troll me, much love to you, @Shoulung, stay classy!

Eh, I don’t have a problem with the game play, my severe altitis appreciates the ease with which I can gear out my toons. Talking about what to do to address characters feeling left out was purely a mental exercise, as I don’t expect unpaid devs to do much more than maintain the the status quo and chase their own little pet projects. Later Pot, Kettle out.

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:39 AM, quixoteprog said:

I was in a team last night that wiped once and nearly wiped another time. One guy was trying to get people to corner pull and engage in even a little bit of strategy and most of the team just would not listen. It really depends on how many of the players are at least minimally competent. Or, at least age 10+

I think, as people have already said, that the game is very dense with optimized twinked builds, played by adults. And these people tend to be more motivated to level and so dominate the LFG channel. That means that even if you know very little about the game, are 7 years old, and are running with several expired training enhancements and tend to spam flurry of blows because it looks cool your average experience may well still be that you steam roll a +4x8 mission.

The problem is that when a group forms with more than a couple people who don't know what they are doing it will wipe, repeatedly. I've been in a couple of those and it can be frustrating because all it would really take to get it to work is for people to exercise a LITTLE bit of strategy. Because, yes, the game is pretty easy for the most part.

You just do corner pulls, give the tank time to use their taunt, HEAL the tank. And probably most important. Make sure the tank is not 7 with a horribly sub-optimal build.

You really have it out for seven year olds man.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, Frostbiter said:

Nope, leaving it like it is because I disapprove of farming builds entirely. I think they're detrimental to the game.

This is just about the least productive stance a human can have when discussing an MMO.

Farming builds are an inevitable and inextricable part of any game that includes loot, levels, and pve monster opponents. You literally can't remove them because they're a mindset, not a specific set of skills and abilities.

Disapproving of farming builds is like disapproving of New Jersey. It's still going to be there no matter how mad you want to get about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PopeUrban said:

Disapproving of farming builds is like disapproving of New Jersey. It's still going to be there no matter how mad you want to get about it.

I may disapprove of New Jersey, but I recognize that it is a useful buffer between New York and Delaware.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 9/19/2019 at 2:17 PM, jubakumbi said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey bud just so you know the laughing reaction still adds to their forum rep. only sad and confused dont so you actually upped that guys rank you were responding to.

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:39 AM, quixoteprog said:

I was in a team last night that wiped once and nearly wiped another time. One guy was trying to get people to corner pull and engage in even a little bit of strategy and most of the team just would not listen. It really depends on how many of the players are at least minimally competent. Or, at least age 10+

I think, as people have already said, that the game is very dense with optimized twinked builds, played by adults. And these people tend to be more motivated to level and so dominate the LFG channel. That means that even if you know very little about the game, are 7 years old, and are running with several expired training enhancements and tend to spam flurry of blows because it looks cool your average experience may well still be that you steam roll a +4x8 mission.

The problem is that when a group forms with more than a couple people who don't know what they are doing it will wipe, repeatedly. I've been in a couple of those and it can be frustrating because all it would really take to get it to work is for people to exercise a LITTLE bit of strategy. Because, yes, the game is pretty easy for the most part.

You just do corner pulls, give the tank time to use their taunt, HEAL the tank. And probably most important. Make sure the tank is not 7 with a horribly sub-optimal build.

IMO a team leader taking a team into content that their victory is questionable in is a bad leader. Especially in a pug. When I lead PUGs and I do often for TFs, I only use characters I know can solo the content so I can insure the team will not be wasting its time. This isnt really something unique to me or this MMO. Its basically the rule of thumb on just about any MMO Ive played. dont lead teams till the content your playing is something you can solo through.

Most MMO gamers ime also tend to not want to feel like a play session ends in a waste of time, hence the above view.

To that end I dont care if all 7 others in my team are iffy builds or younglings trying out the game. Ill do everything I can to make sure they have a good time and see completion, Ill offer advice as needed. And as a blaster out tanking many tanks get asked for advice from just about every player no matter their AT.

If your team is getting wiped, look at the leader, then look at yourself, those 2 only. Either the leader is trying to use the team by pushing past their personal limits, or you are just not that good yourself and in no position to complain about others.

If a team was to wipe with me on it or leading it Id say the same damn thing I failed, no one else just myself. Fortunately I cant recall the last time I was on a team wipe. certainly not on Home Coming. As a batman fan I plan to win, and have tons of tricks to adapt to virtually anything thrown my way.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:43 AM, Carnifax said:

They did add First Ward and Night Ward which cover mid. Night ward is a bit odd but the First ward story is pretty good.

I am reluctant to go to either zone.  Asking for more difficult content is one thing.  That stuff surely counts.  My problem with it is that it is very unsociable content.  If you run it, it's solo only.  The 'difficulty' added there consists of massive debuff and unresistable mez like Confuse and Fear.  Goldside has the same kinds of issue, with missions full of Seers and such.  The problem with this specific brand of 'difficulty' is that it discourages teaming.  It's especially unpleasant if you are trying to collect aggro and take point.  That stuff is solo only because it scales badly; more mobs mean less playability. 

I'm not opposed to more difficult content in theory.  It needs not to disadvantage melee defense sets so badly.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291