Extend Teleport's Float Time

EyeLuvBooks

Back on Live the lag could get so bad that Teleporters were taking their lives in their hands popping around without Hover. Teleport was, therefore, the ONLY movement power that you had to take another power from another pool to use safely.

These days lag is less of a problem yet I still find myself falling when teleporting if I don't have Hover.

Why not simply extend the 'hang time' at the end of the Teleport animation by 2-3 seconds to enable 'porters to move about safely without having to invest in another power for safety?

Because falling damage is negligible. I would rather either have the hang time removed entirely, or have Teleport given a flight speed equal to Hover during that few seconds of hang time only, so that I can teleport down to the ground and immediately be able to move around when I land.

How the hang time works is that it enables flight, but gives you a negative flight speed so that you can't actually move while doing it.

Edited by Crysta Clear

1 hour ago, GM Sijin said:

Counter suggestion (though probably much more difficult to implement):

Teleport grants you ~6 seconds of hover after the teleport. However, if you activate any movement it's cancelled immediately.

This sounds really good. Covers lag and any circumstance where you might need to spend a moment planning your next teleport while also making teleport less clunky in situations where you just want to zip from place A to place B and continue running.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

2 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

Teleport grants you ~6 seconds of hover after the teleport. However, if you activate any movement it's cancelled immediately.

I've proposed exactly this solution at other times in other threads, including a variant of this for Group Fly so as to get everyone to "fly in formation, until you want to break from formation" (so to speak).

My 2 INF on this topic though is that Mystic Flight basically "solved" this problem ... since Fly ENABLES Teleport (although you can't put enhancements into the Teleport sub-power).

2 stones, 1 bird.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

2 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

Reduce the Hover component of Teleport to .05 seconds (plus animation time).

Alter the power to create a hovering, stationary, pseudopet at the teleportation location which grants a 3ft radius nonstacking Self+Ally Hover effect for 6 seconds (plus the duration of the teleport animation) with a hover speed of 20ft and an application cycle of .02 seconds. Basically it keeps casting the power every 2 hundredths of a second but none of them stack, just to make sure the player gets 'caught' when their personal teleport-hover runs out after 5 hundredths of a second

If you move your character you exit the Hover-zone and start falling/walking/whatever under your own power.

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

I've proposed exactly this solution at other times in other threads, including a variant of this for Group Fly so as to get everyone to "fly in formation, until you want to break from formation" (so to speak).

My 2 INF on this topic though is that Mystic Flight basically "solved" this problem ... since Fly ENABLES Teleport (although you can't put enhancements into the Teleport sub-power).

2 stones, 1 bird.

The issue with this is that it STILL means that I need to use 2 Pool power slots if I still want some of the other teleport powers like Recall Friend.

As to the other suggestions, I don't code so I have no idea which of these would be easiest. It may be that my idea is actually harder for some reason and one of the other ones would work better. In any event, I'm simply trying to make Teleport a more stand-alone power, not make it any more useful or powerful than it already is.

As for falling damage being negligible...that depends entirely on the level of the character and the terrain being traveled over. If I'm in Talos with my lvl 22 character and one of my missions takes me over ground with lvl 28+ foes then the fall could indeed result in a Hosp trip. My point is that NO other movement power carries with it such inherent risks. You can change direction in mid-air with SJ if you see enemies below. Flight avoids enemies entirely. SS carries with it a built-it level of Stealth so you can run past foes and not draw aggro. Teleport is the only power that you can't reliably use to avoid enemies.

2 minutes ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

The issue with this is that it STILL means that I need to use 2 Pool power slots if I still want some of the other teleport powers like Recall Friend.

As to the other suggestions, I don't code so I have no idea which of these would be easiest. It may be that my idea is actually harder for some reason and one of the other ones would work better. In any event, I'm simply trying to make Teleport a more stand-alone power, not make it any more useful or powerful than it already is.

As for falling damage being negligible...that depends entirely on the level of the character and the terrain being traveled over. If I'm in Talos with my lvl 22 character and one of my missions takes me over ground with lvl 28+ foes then the fall could indeed result in a Hosp trip. My point is that NO other movement power carries with it such inherent risks. You can change direction in mid-air with SJ if you see enemies below. Flight avoids enemies entirely. SS carries with it a built-it level of Stealth so you can run past foes and not draw aggro. Teleport is the only power that you can't reliably use to avoid enemies.

And each of those powers have their own pitfalls.

For Superspeed it is -literal- pitfalls.

Wanna know what should be essentially standard with Teleport? A line in the description of the power when you take it that tells you to use

/bind LShift+LButton powxec_name Teleport

Then hold shift and left click to go where you wanna go. Fastest Teleport there is and unless you're lagging so hard you're about to Mapserver you'll never fall. So much faster than the 'click in tray, drag to where to go" method.

Though I suppose you could just put it on your hotbar in slot 0 and press-click to be about as fast... My way's just less awkward.

3 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

And each of those powers have their own pitfalls.

For Superspeed it is -literal- pitfalls.

Wanna know what should be essentially standard with Teleport? A line in the description of the power when you take it that tells you to use

/bind LShift+LButton powxec_name Teleport

Then hold shift and left click to go where you wanna go. Fastest Teleport there is and unless you're lagging so hard you're about to Mapserver you'll never fall. So much faster than the 'click in tray, drag to where to go" method.

Though I suppose you could just put it on your hotbar in slot 0 and press-click to be about as fast... My way's just less awkward.

Yeah all of my teleporters use the MMB and yes, it's much faster. I was simply thinking that an slight increase in hang-time would be the easiest way to solve a relatively simple issue.

Just now, EyeLuvBooks said:

Yeah all of my teleporters use the MMB and yes, it's much faster. I was simply thinking that an slight increase in hang-time would be the easiest way to solve a relatively simple issue.

Oh, no doubt. I even suggested a way to do that which would affect other teleporters -less-.

See, the current way the hover works is that you have 0 fly speed when it hits. So if you're 10ft away from a door you can either wait for the hover to fall off or teleport the last ten feet and click the door. It's SO ANNOYING! With my suggestion, it catches you on the back-side of the teleport, gives you a 6 second window to line up your next teleport, and it frees the rest of us from the 'Hover Tar' that keeps us from just walking that 10ft distance to click the door.

Elegant solution, no?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Oh, no doubt. I even suggested a way to do that which would affect other teleporters -less-.

See, the current way the hover works is that you have 0 fly speed when it hits. So if you're 10ft away from a door you can either wait for the hover to fall off or teleport the last ten feet and click the door. It's SO ANNOYING! With my suggestion, it catches you on the back-side of the teleport, gives you a 6 second window to line up your next teleport, and it frees the rest of us from the 'Hover Tar' that keeps us from just walking that 10ft distance to click the door.

Elegant solution, no?

Lol 'Hover Tar'. Yeah...good name for it!

9 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Reduce the Hover component of Teleport to .05 seconds (plus animation time).

Alter the power to create a hovering, stationary, pseudopet at the teleportation location which grants a 3ft radius nonstacking Self+Ally Hover effect for 6 seconds (plus the duration of the teleport animation) with a hover speed of 20ft and an application cycle of .02 seconds. Basically it keeps casting the power every 2 hundredths of a second but none of them stack, just to make sure the player gets 'caught' when their personal teleport-hover runs out after 5 hundredths of a second

If you move your character you exit the Hover-zone and start falling/walking/whatever under your own power.

That would be perfect. Hover Tar is annoying AF...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

20 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Why not simply extend the 'hang time' at the end of the Teleport animation by 2-3 seconds to enable 'porters to move about safely without having to invest in another power for safety?

/JRANGER

Seriously, no.  Just ... NO.

Teleport's "hang time" also is effectively an IMMOBILIZE; you can't move for crap during that brief window of hover.

Edited by PaxArcana

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

20 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Back on Live the lag could get so bad that Teleporters were taking their lives in their hands popping around without Hover. Teleport was, therefore, the ONLY movement power that you had to take another power from another pool to use safely.

These days lag is less of a problem yet I still find myself falling when teleporting if I don't have Hover.

I'm all for it, good suggestion. 

Here's an alternate solution:

Change Teleport entirely.  When you choose the power, you get a toggle that works exactly like Hover for movement .... and, as with Mystic Flight, you get a Teleportation power you can then use, for as long as the toggle is active.  (Reduce Teleport's END cost slightly, maybe by 5% or 10%, to reflect the cost of the Hover-analog toggle.)

No more "Hover-Tar", and no more needing to dip into another pool to make Teleportation safe.

Edited by PaxArcana
  • Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

12 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Here's an alternate solution:

Change Teleport entirely.  When you choose the power, you get a toggle that works exactly like Hover for movement .... and, as with Mystic Flight, you get a Teleportation power you can then use, for as long as the toggle is active.  (Reduce Teleport's END cost slightly, maybe by 5% or 10%, to reflect the cost of the Hover-analog toggle.)

No more "Hover-Tar", and no more needing to dip into another pool to make Teleportation safe.

Hey, if they do this I'll sing praises from the mountains. Considering that they already have a Fly and a Teleport in one power now, there is precedence for this as well...

• Like 1

New idea... change Fly 100% to Fly 10% and remove the -100% FlySpd. Extend Fly time to 8s. That way you if you have hover or fly you don't have "Hover-Tar" but it doesn't buff hover (much) either. Also, a small reduction in endurance cost would be nice as well...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

Color me very, very wary of that last idea.  It sounds dangerously like teleporting a cottage onto your own position. 😛

Maxim 20: "If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win." 😄 

This is basically why I've taken mystic flight in places where I would have previously taken teleport.  I wonder if they could, lke /SR got, add 2 mutually exclusive versions of teleport; One where there is no hover that immobilizes you, and another with a slightly longer hover time, (perhaps slightly reduce the end cost in the 1st version).

Alternatively, they could add something like COs implementation, where you basically phase out, become self-affecting only for a few seconds, and gain a fairly fast movement speed in any direction...

I ❤️ Champions Online's implementation of Teleport.

No, it wasn't instant.  But it worked, and it was FUN, and it bloody well WORKED.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

I don't know if you use it or not, but the TP bind is wonderful.

/bind SHIFT+LBUTTON "powexec_name Teleport$$powexec_name Shadow Step"

and basically, when you hit shift you get a TP reticle, when you click you TP where the mouse is. I couldn't TP without, even with the built in hover.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I use shift+left click for TP and shift+right click for TP Foe...

I prefer Mystic Flight to TP, but if you want TP foe or LR TP, TP is the better pool to grab...