One free travel power at character creation?

dmaker

3 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Combat Jumping. Pick up Hover, instead. It fits the concept, more, and you can still slot whatever into Hover instead of CJ.

"Oh it's not as easy for me!"

Meh. You have to sacrifice for concept, sometimes.

This made up person sure is getting dumped on, lol.  

Just now, Steampunkette said:

I have very little sympathy for imaginary people who are designed to be sympathetic punching bags.

Not even sure what that means?

It was just an example i came up with.  Im sure other people might have other reasons to want 5 pools.

Though they might be disinclined to present them.  Dodging tomatoes and all that. 

17 minutes ago, Vanden said:

An Invul Brute with fully slotted resistances still has 33% or so S/L resist to go before the cap, Tough can do plenty.

... on a Brute, I'm seeing 63.7% S/L resist in the latest version of Mids' Reborn, before Tough.  And defenses averaging around 20%, without Weave.

Weave, with three LotG (Def/End, Def, and Def/Global Recharge - trying to get Hasten as close to Perma as I could on an /invul Brute) adds 4.95% defense; Tough, with two Aegis (I stacked Unbreakable Guard up five times in /Invul powers), the Def and Def/End ones, adds 15.9% S/L resistance.

So ... Weave is a negligible bonus (you can get better with just two 3-slot Aegis sets).  And Tough ... it's nice, but not supremely needed; going from 63.7% S/L resist to 79.6% is useful, but not game-changing, IMO.

EDIT TO ADD:  I didn't even bother looking at Epics, Accolades, or Incarnate abilities.

Resilient Core Paragon in the Alpha slot bumps their pre-Tough S/L Resistance to 71.6%; with Tough, they wind up hard-capped (actual value 91.07%).

Edited by PaxArcana

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

5 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

It was just an example i came up with.  Im sure other people might have other reasons to want 5 pools.

Though they might be disinclined to present them.  Dodging tomatoes and all that. 

You presented an extreme example, Hajinx. One which refused to compromise absolute min-max ideology to have Flight be a part of the build.

I imagine there are people out there who are that diehard about build perfection... but those players aren't building characters for concept, just bigger numbers

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

I imagine there are people out there who are that diehard about build perfection... but those players aren't building characters for concept, just bigger numbers

Yup.  Perfectly valid approach to building a character, but yu're right, they're not going to care if they have Fly, or SJ, or just get by with Hurdle, Swift, Sprint, Combat Jumping ... and buying Jetpacks from the P2W vendor, in order to not "waste" a power on getting around from Mission to Mission.  🙂

Edited by PaxArcana
splellngi is hrad

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

17 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

You presented an extreme example, Hajinx. One which refused to compromise absolute min-max ideology to have Flight be a part of the build.

Well sure, but that was the point.

No one else is going to need 5 pools.

14 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Yup.  Perfectly valid approach to building a character, but yu're right, they're not going to care if they have Fly, or SJ, or just get by with Hurdle, Swift, Sprint, Combat Jumping ... and buying Jetpacks from the P2W vendor, in order to not "waste" a power on getting around from Mission to Mission.  🙂

Jetpacks again.  Which was my vote.

17 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

This is what I frequently do. Except I add in Ninja Run. My default bind file switches between Combat Jumping and Ninja Run and has a bind to toggle Jet Pack if I need to get up high quickly. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

... on a Brute, I'm seeing 63.7% S/L resist in the latest version of Mids' Reborn, before Tough.  And defenses averaging around 20%, without Weave.

Weave, with three LotG (Def/End, Def, and Def/Global Recharge - trying to get Hasten as close to Perma as I could on an /invul Brute) adds 4.95% defense; Tough, with two Aegis (I stacked Unbreakable Guard up five times in /Invul powers), the Def and Def/End ones, adds 15.9% S/L resistance.

So ... Weave is a negligible bonus (you can get better with just two 3-slot Aegis sets).  And Tough ... it's nice, but not supremely needed; going from 63.7% S/L resist to 79.6% is useful, but not game-changing, IMO.

EDIT TO ADD:  I didn't even bother looking at Epics, Accolades, or Incarnate abilities.

Resilient Core Paragon in the Alpha slot bumps their pre-Tough S/L Resistance to 71.6%; with Tough, they wind up hard-capped (actual value 91.07%).

Are you sure? This is what I see in Pines:

S8lMpeC.png

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

Tomatoes don’t harm me, no worries.

Sorcery, Speed, Fighting, Leadership, Soul  Mastery. If I could have more than five, I would.

A master of the mystic arts has a wide range of spells that mimic superhuman abilities and will even use power from nefarious sources to protect the innocent. 

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

4 hours ago, krj12 said:

I don't mind waiting until level 4 for the travel power.  But they do have a point about having to give up something else to gain said power.   I can't tell you how many characters where I've had to give up on travel powers, simply because I couldn't fit it into the build, where I'm trying to max defense, for example. 

Except making choices about what powers you take SHOULD be part of the game. Getting everything for nothing is boring, if you really want to play that way, why not just run your own server on your home pc and grant yourself all the powers you want via gm controls. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dmaker said:

This may not be a popular idea, but I was thinking about allowing us to have one free travel power selectable during character creation. This should be limited to Fly, Super Jump, Speed, and Teleport--I think Teleport is the other main travel power?

With this, we would no longer have to take an ancillary pool just for one power in some cases. For example, you are building a character that has Fly as part of the concept, but nothing else in Flight pool appeals to you. In this case you may have to forgo combat jumping, or something else to get fly. Would be nice if you could select one of the four main travel powers at character creation. 

Side note: can we just do away with Afterburner and make Fly speed match that of Fly+Afterburner? Even if we have to two slot Fly to achieve top speed, that would be fine. You can get some small set bonuses with two slots filled with Freebird (I think it's called). Afterburner forces to you to dump powers into Flight just so you can have a faster Fly. Seems heavy handed, to me. 

This sounds to me like two cheesy ideas in one:

First, get a travel power right at the start.

Second, get a travel power for free. (Which your idea about rolling Afterburner into Fly also fits.)

So, uh, no. 

If you want to get a travel power right away, just run one Death From Below. You won't need to travel while you're doing it, and you'll certainly be high enough level to take your travel power by the time you finish it.

And if you want to get more powers for free…well, ya know, tough luck. Lots of people would like to have additional powers for free. But coming up with ways to cram the powers you want into limited slots is part of the challenge of the game. If you want Afterburner, then yeah—you have to give something else up. Maybe you don't want Afterburner so badly after all. My flying characters got by for years without it, after all.

If you want to play a version of CoH where you can have all the powers you want…well, you know, the source is out there. Set up your own private server and change the settings to your heart's content.

• Like 2

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

Are you sure?

I didn't save the build - it was only looking at the secondary, mostly.

But I slotted sets, which definitely added to the totals.  And I 5-slotted most of the secondary powers, not 3-slotted them as you have.

So I tried to recreate it.  Didn't come out the same, must have stacked different sets this time.  :shrug: It still comes out pretty good, WITHOUT Tough.  60.4% S/L resist without popping Unstoppable, most defenses in the teens (and I forgot to turn on both Maneuvers and CJ, so the Defenses should all be almost 6% higher) without Weave.

By the by, Dull Pain is very nearly perma (if you can eke out enough global recharge for Hasten to go perma - it's at 138.2s recharge - Dull Pain will be, too).  And it gives +630 maxHP (on top of 1723 normally), while healing for 1,213hp.  W/O Hasten, it's at 157s recharge ... who needs hard-capped resistance or defense, when you've got a super-heal like that? 😄

To be fair, Tough and Weave are still very useful on that build; S/L resist goes to 76.3% with Tough.

Weave, with CJ and Maneuvers on, oops) brings most defenses into the 20's.  Psi, ranged, and AoE linger int he mid-teens.

Here's a data chunk to import and see for yourself:

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1115;505;1010;HEX;|
|78DA6593D96ED3401486C75BD36C647192566DA9DAA08204524868B8465D2842D4A|
|8120F10B9E9905AB2D2C876517BC9DBC00D8FC00EEF82D87AC17A658EE7FC149419|
|C9F932FF9973CE3FE3B177B25D7A76E7F12D6114B7423F8E079BD171221DCF1F054|
|34BD0C8D1D352E2C093A1949D4D3F494239D838911759DE960FE538969DBBE347C7|
|E15846FE7E1006C9A928EC1D1D859D0713290FCAEAEF4E303A4C82F1A8A466BBD29|
|FD0A4F2777220A3F83098B8B727C1B0B3110D936038F0FC3891D1E93C7958A327CD|
|C6F3CC9591FDA4A6F8491E7BB630BF31E7BF335F644B788D6320662236F383398BD|
|CD95FC8FDCD6CD38E2DE45AD784D2EC29CE8085299A94EB08952B9CCCAC68E5F808|
|33B7B9AAA156951A6093F98AA279EC280FB70B70BB0097352A52E43A4611792DD4B|
|32856468F729FB50B5DF026F335452BDCC3AEA047153DAA38913A7AD5712236D5AD|
|A16E0D3D1BF0DE40EF371475E1DD45FE0AEAAFA0BE4B759AF0DE7C6AB2F727CC97A|
|4CE71CC99FB80BC8FCCD54FE03DEEB5EA312FDD67AAEBF0965217D5BB4E9D45985A|
|AA8175E6B20BC2FC72F3BF026ABCA3FC366F43B4117D8F5B97555EEBB195CB7D701|
|DEC32AF5C076F585395FF8D255B60A47C95C5554DE96A4A4F53D635A5AF293BF6F9|
|4792EE6AD13D1B41520CA5E4AB74E959493F17CE3F1E44BF6ACA174D39D3943FC4F|
|6EF3E|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

ss-inv-tough.jpg

Edited by PaxArcana

I'd rather see changing the limit of four power pools over giving a travel power for free.

With the already mentioned idea of putting more travel powers into the P2W vendor. The Safeguard/Mayhem super jump pack could be added easily.

Edited by HeroReborn

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Actually my real vote would be a motorcycle, but oh well.

I had a character in a Mutants and Masterminds game.  A speedster, 14 or 15 year old kid .... and that's all he really was; no energy blasts, no armor.  Slight bit of rapid healing - mostly his own hyper-accelerated metabolism at work.  Couple of those telescoping baton things for fighting, and ... a bicycle for getting around.  (Figure a bicycle lets you roughly triple your speed ... if your superpower lets you "jog" at ~80mph, you're going to be cycling at 240+mph ...! :D)

19 minutes ago, HeroReborn said:

I'd rather see changing the limit of four power pools over giving a travel power for free.

With the already mentioned idea of putting more travel powers into the P2W vendor. The Safeguard/Mayhem super jump pack could be added easily.

Ah yeah.  That one would be a good one.

12 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

Sprint + Ninja Run is almost as good as Superspeed.  I can only presume Beast Run + Sprint is the same.

You can go all the way to 50+3 without an actual Travel Power.

And if your RP-Fu isn't capable of working it into your story/concept, that really is on you... 😉

49 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

I had a character in a Mutants and Masterminds game.  A speedster, 14 or 15 year old kid .... and that's all he really was; no energy blasts, no armor.  Slight bit of rapid healing - mostly his own hyper-accelerated metabolism at work.  Couple of those telescoping baton things for fighting, and ... a bicycle for getting around.  (Figure a bicycle lets you roughly triple your speed ... if your superpower lets you "jog" at ~80mph, you're going to be cycling at 240+mph ...! :D)

Calculate the side-force trying to throw you off that bicycle when you take a corner at 240 mph.  Show your work. 😉

• Like 1

If it happened I'd use it but I don't feel it's especially needed.

I would prefer a change to how Power Pools function, specifically make it so I can pick a fifth PP instead of the Prestige on character that really don't need/want the Prestige Pool. Then add FX free versions of Ninja Run, Jetpack & Jump pack to P2W.

Personally I like ninja run as it's my own power... 😉

3 hours ago, Robotech_Master said:

This sounds to me like two cheesy ideas in one:

First, get a travel power right at the start.

You are absolutely right.

Hawkgirl, Dash, Storm, Ironman, Nightcrawler, Shazam, Cyborg, Supergirl, Thor, Red Tornado, Vision, Atom, Silver Surfer, Torch, Homelander, A-Train, Green Lanterns, Angel, ...

sprints everywhere.

Now if you don't get it, I was being sarcastic when I agreed with you.

Your opinion does not jive with the opinion of the genera. Sups who is over 80 years old started with Supper Speed and Super Jump, and many of these such as Dash, Angel, and A-Train, are about their travel power.  If you add Gadgets to the Travel Powers then Batman, and Spiderman could also be added to the list. If you add Parkour(Ninja Run) to the Travel Powers then you can add Captain America, and Beast to the list.

To say that getting a Travel Power at the start is cheesy is to say that Comics and their Heroes/Villians are cheesy.

As for the 1 Free Travel Power at start...

how about you-all quit justifying the Devs choice, and tell me why something that is so iconic to Super Hero/Villain Comics is bad for CoH.

How is this one free power going to break the game?

Edited by Jeuraud