Halloween

Craigrx

I am SO ready for the Halloween event to start, presumably it wont start til sometime in October but still that event was one of my favorites.

And ona  side note I notice that Flavor is spelled with a u could this be because the servers are across the Atlantic??

When I am good I am very good, when I am bad I am better

2 minutes ago, Craigrx said:

I am SO ready for the Halloween event to start, presumably it wont start til sometime in October but still that event was one of my favorites.

And ona  side note I notice that Flavor is spelled with a u could this be because the servers are across the Atlantic??

I love me some trick-or-treating!  AFAIK, only 1 of the servers is in Europe....

Edited by biostem

On 9/25/2019 at 8:04 AM, Craigrx said:

My wife is American, and since she emigrated to be with me (we met.on Triumph when the game was live) she is even further from the Atlantic crossing than before, and she spells flavour correctly (we do here anyway, but she did when she still lived in the US)

Ok wall of text to say nothing important, my apologies

Edited by boggo2300
  • Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

The whole flavor vs flavour thing was actually done to save on typesetting costs, because 1 less letter is cheaper to print in bulk than the alternative ... meaning that Americans did that to ultimately save pennies on the dollar, because we're just that cheap.

• Like 3

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

8 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

The whole flavor vs flavour thing was actually done to save on typesetting costs, because 1 less letter is cheaper to print in bulk than the alternative ... meaning that Americans did that to ultimately save pennies on the dollar, because we're just that cheap.

We were fools! Fools! We never predicted it would lead to Flavor Flav and now we sit in the wreckage of our once beautiful world.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

19 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Americans: The Original Min/Maxers

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 9/25/2019 at 6:29 AM, Redlynne said:

Interesting bit of trivia, I always wondered how some of these differences came about.

Flavour (I let gesture typing decide on the spelling) was a brand new word at the time that Europeans were travelling to the New World. I don't think it was a case of anyone adding or removing the 'u', just two different decisions when the word was finally written down. 

I can totally believe that printing cost was a factor in that  decision though. 🙂

• Like 1

This is my first Coh "rodeo" so I've never played the Halloween event.  Looking forward to it!

Will Summer BB be taken down?  Will the Halloween event be taken down after Halloween?

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

On 9/25/2019 at 6:29 AM, Redlynne said:

Sounds like an urban legend to me...  (I've actually hand set type and printed using a hand press).  We're only talking a handful of words with the dropped 'u' and infinitesimal costs for both the labor or setting a single letter and it's practically impossible to express just how sub atomically small the extra cost of ink is.  (Even in the era when ink was mostly produced by hand.)  One can also take a look at the word music - commonly spelled musick in both countries...  And both countries have dropped the 'k'.  Or, we can look at glamour, where the US has retained the 'u'.

The real story is this:  In that era, spelling was not standardized and was still very much in flux.  Webster was influential in setting American spelling, and his chosen spellings came to predominate in the US.  Johnson became influential in British spelling, and his chosen spellings became predominant in the UK (and by extension, throughout the Commonwealth).  Why did they choose different spellings?   You'd have to grab a time machine (or make friends with a Time Lord) and ask them.

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Well, the Halloween event is up, on the Beta Server anyway!  That along with a few other changes, including the new Willpower Power Pool choice.  I'd imagine it'll all be on the Live servers fairly soon.  Next week if I were making a bet. 😎

What was no more, is REBORN!

<Ahem>Ahem</ahem> Technically, the differences between US and UK/Commonwealth spellings are the work of Noah Webster, the fellow for whom the several Webster dictionaries are named.  English spelling itself is one of the worst systems in the world, worse even than Gaelic or French, and really only Burmese and Tibetan compete with it for being unintuitive and unwieldy.  Webster added to the lovely chaos by introducing a purely artificial difference between US and British English, without doing much to make the system more sensible or less random.    

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

18 hours ago, Feefa said:

Flavour (I let gesture typing decide on the spelling) was a brand new word at the time that Europeans were travelling to the New World. I don't think it was a case of anyone adding or removing the 'u', just two different decisions when the word was finally written down. 

I can totally believe that printing cost was a factor in that  decision though. 🙂

how then do you explain Colour?  that was a new word as well?

the one that gets me is spelling Cheque as check

one is derived from exchequer as in the financial control,  the other is derived from holding someone back, or a pattern...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

5 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

the one that gets me is spelling Cheque as check

one is derived from exchequer as in the financial control,  the other is derived from holding someone back, or a pattern...

Truth be told, they both descend from the same source - the checked pattern used on medieval money counting tables.  That's why "exchequer" has "cheque" (check) in the middle of it.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Truth be told, they both descend from the same source - the checked pattern used on medieval money counting tables.  That's why "exchequer" has "cheque" (check) in the middle of it.

I never knew that, but now I've read up,  stupid Normans and their fancy tablecloths!!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!