Static Teams: Who Wants To Join One?

CrimsonOne

Back in the old days of CoH the SG I was in used to run what we called Static Teams. These teams were a blast to be on, and you got to meet some really great people and try out some interesting AT combos depending on who the Leader was and what the theme of the team ended up being.

Here is how the Static Teams worked:

1. Decide you want to run a Static Team (Congrats! You are now the Leader).
  2. This newly found Leader now finds 7 other people to join their Static Team and they all decide together on how often, and at what times they can all play together during the week.
  3. The Leader then decides on a theme for the entire team. The theme can be anything really, you can choose a specific power type everyone should play, it could be costume based, whatever you want really. The idea is to just unify the team in some manner with a common theme. In the first Static Team I ran, my theme was "Art" so everyone had to create characters that were art themed in some way. I made a SS/WP Tanker named "Graphite", another team member made their character look like a No. 2 pencil. 🤣
  4. Create your theme based characters and make any needed preparations to meet up on the first agreed upon day and time. It is important to make sure you are all on each others friends list,  have each others global names, and discord handles in case you need to get a hold of each other for any reason.
  5. Meet at a predetermined location, team up, and go have fun until you all reach level 50 together. No power leveling. No AE missions. No double XP boosters. Just plain, old fashioned, earning your XP and Influence by completing missions, TF's, etc. with friends.  

The main idea behind these teams were to get people playing together again, and to try AT's and power combinations they have never tried before. Playing on a dedicated team like this allows for some flexibility when trying out new things, and it can also be a good place to get advice on build ideas from several people who are seeing it in action.

Communication is key when running these teams. Using voice channels while teamed up is a huge bonus. Being able to talk with each other outside of the game helps a lot. There will be times when people can not make a particular scheduled date/time, life happens. It is up to the team to decide if they wait for missing team members or if the team member gets catch up on their own at a later time.

And that is pretty much it ... And on that note!

WHO WANTS TO JOIN A STATIC TEAM?

I am looking to start one up on Torchbearer if anyone might be interested.  You can message me on Discord (DesignDeviant#9963) if you would like to let me know you are interested and what your schedule might be like during the week.

If not, feel free to use the idea and make some new friends, or even invite me to your Static Team, I would love to join.

• Like 3

@Crimson-one | Torchbearer

UI/UX Designer by day, Gamer by night!

• CrimsonOne changed the title to Static Teams: Who Wants To Join One?

I think this is a great idea. I've done static teams before in other MMOs and they have always been great fun. If anyone on Everlasting would like to start one (I'm not much of a leader) then I'd be glad to be on the team.

• Like 1

I was just thinking, if people still have transfer tokens then teams could be started on any server and once the character hits 50 then it could be transferred (if you decide to keep it) back to your home server. This way we could get a Static Team going just about anywhere if we find enough willing participants.

Back on Live, 6 of my real life friends and I played as a group fairly regularly. We had several themed groups. One of my favorites was The Chessmen. Obviously, toons all based on chess pieces. Only 2 of us returned to actively play HC, and that’s sporadic at best. Ah, life and responsibilities. 

Still, having 7 of us run around doing missions together weekly was a lot of fun. Good luck and hope you get a great team together. 

• Like 1

My son and I had a duo for this purpose but found that whenever we happened to be on the same time he liked playing his main and I like playing whomever strikes my fancy at that moment.  I think everyone being available at the same time is the main problem with static teaming.  I do love having buddies you can get to know their playstyle and y'all can shorthand stuff, it just makes missions melt!

I routinely get a group together for tabletop Shadowrun every Monday.  Convincing them to play City of Heroes, though, has been challenging . . . most of them see the game as "too old," or not offering enough roleplay depth.
We'll see what happens when we conclude the current chapter of our on-going campaign early next year, and put it on pause for me to recover from GMing for the past three years straight.

4 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

If anyone on Indomitable wants to do this, I'm game. Even if it just starts as a smaller team and grows into a full team, that's okay too. I would love to have a regular group of folks to run with.

That's the cool part about Static Teams, it could start out as a 4 person team and you just pick up rando's along the way as you need them to fill in any needs. You might find someone who sticks around and BOOM! you have another person who is now part of the Static Team on a regular basis. 😀

• Like 2

We have something like this on the Reunion server. We have an all Archery based mission team that run on Wednesday's. I only found out about it as I managed to catch them looking for members on the LFG tab. All have Archery based names too, it's pretty cool. I created an alt so I could join in, was so much fun!

Edited by Darlomidge
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ILIWAPCT said:

Teaming sure. Permanent/Static not so much. Anyway there is also a thread on Torch for Friday Night Task Force's.  

That's why it is one new character that you play with the team, once a week, for a couple hours maybe. This is never meant to take over all game play, that's for sure. Also, I will have to look into the Friday Night Taskforce thing, sounds fun.

5 hours ago, CrimsonOne said:

We are now up to 3 people on my Static Team so far, anyone else interested?

I'd be willing to start an alt on Torchbearer assuming I can make the meeting times. What is the theme of the team, and when do you usually meet? I'll start thinking about what kind of character I can make.

I also just remembered that we used to have something like this a while back on Everlasting. It was basically an electric power group. To join, one needed to have at least one electricity-based power. We met three times a week, but it went into hiatus a couple of months ago and I haven't heard anything since then.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:09 PM, CrimsonOne said:

I was just thinking, if people still have transfer tokens then teams could be started on any server

We keep getting more.  I believe it's 5 transfer tokens every 3 days, but it might be 3 every 5 days.  Either way, if you use up the ones you have, you'll get more in a few days.

Edited by Ironblade

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

3 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I'd be willing to start an alt on Torchbearer assuming I can make the meeting times. What is the theme of the team, and when do you usually meet? I'll start thinking about what kind of character I can make.

I also just remembered that we used to have something like this a while back on Everlasting. It was basically an electric power group. To join, one needed to have at least one electricity-based power. We met three times a week, but it went into hiatus a couple of months ago and I haven't heard anything since then.

I have not selected the theme yet, I was waiting to see how many we people we could get first. Also, no times have been set since that too requires that we know who would be on the team. So if you are interested just message me your global or send me a DM on Discord DesignDeviant#9963