Sell me on gravity control - started a thematic character but I'm not impressed

DougGraves

I'm with OP.  I also started a Grav/Time a few days ago, but gave up on it after hitting about 15, and rerolled it as a mind/time.  Grav/ feels lackluster at low levels, and for me low level play is just as, if not more so, important than late game play.  I've actually had this problem with Grav/ over the years.  I tried so many times to get into it, but I just can't wait until level 26 to finally get a signature power.

• Like 1

I started a Grav/Storm controller and he did not really come into his own until 25 or so and it was mainly after I took Freezing rain. Not sure what I put off taking it to get but it was stupid. The -Resist and -Def REALLY boosted the amount of damage he could do on some mobs and added a substantial amount of control as well.

Also, the singularity pet is pretty obnixiously good. Almost nothing can close with without getting flung willy-nilly around the map. Add to that how several of its attacks set up containment on mobs also adding to control. It also seems amazingly resiliant to ranged attacks as well.

I ran a Ill/Rad to 50+3 and while the phantasm is pretty cool it will die constantly because there is a bug making want to go shake people's hands that no dev seems willing to fix.  The singularity pet seems to be a lot more antisocial, which is fine by me. It just stand back and flings stuff around and if they come at it they get flung back. Not only incredibly effective it is enormously fun to watch.

Edited by quixoteprog

• 3 weeks later
On 10/26/2019 at 3:30 AM, oedipus_tex said:

I've been meaning to ask if the AoE knockdown in Propel procs damage and other procs. The power is tagged as a single target blast despite its AoE component which would seem to make it more useful as a proc delivery tool, but I am unsure how it technically works.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:59 AM, Sir Myshkin said:

I never saw it trigger additional procs when testing it for them, but it took a bit of extra attention before anyone realized that Contaminate was causing additional proc effects (as in procs on the proc-effect) off Radiation Melee, which triggers a similar pseudo-pet call. Given that a few other abilities have seen some random and unmentioned updates in their impact with procs (whether intentional or bug/bug-fix) it might be worth double-checking at some point.

But, to my knowledge it doesn't, that I recall, proc on the splash effect.

Played grav/rad back on live and loved it, got into the mid 30s before losing interest in the game and finding another game to play. Never got much further with them due to game dying. 😕

Played Grav/Kin into mid 40s on HC not that impressed, damage is fine (good even). Just not very enjoyable (and I used to love */kin).

I'm now working my way up with Grav/Rad and I'm loving it, damage is still great and the fact that I can debuff meaningfully whole groups (as opposed to singletons ala */kin) seems to be making a whole world of difference to my survivability.

That all said I had to drop Propel because of the AoE "proc", it seems to be un-enhance-able, un-modifiable... etc. If you put the KB > KD IO in it the single target is knocked down but any close friend get sent packing. Loved the power on live but in HC it's just not fun any more. 😞

4 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

That all said I had to drop Propel because of the AoE "proc", it seems to be un-enhance-able, un-modifiable... etc. If you put the KB > KD IO in it the single target is knocked down but any close friend get sent packing. Loved the power on live but in HC it's just not fun any more. 

😞

Well that's not how the power works from my experience. Unless the foes you fight are -1 or even minions to your level(or vulnerable to KB like Clockwork), everybody just gets KD'ed...the individual you target with propel is often KB'ed though. You can mitigate this with lift though. 

I haven't done extensive testing but using the force feedback proc seems to trigger more often if I hit multiple foes with the splash than if I only hit one target. My hope is to get multiple stacks of FF to extend the duration using propel. 

All that aside, I never played grav on live but playing on HC, it's super fun. Dimension shift as a toggle is crazy. You can leverage some insane situations, literally containing ambushes or shield yourself from a ranged volley or protect an npc/object by shifting the enemy. This is on top of your other crazy capabilities like juggling spawns, Tele-sniping groups into kill zones, neutering alpha strikes by splitting spawns or consolidating spawns to speed up kill speed. Your pet is also a choke point, foes can't run past it, they don't do much damage to it and you can stand inside it as if it's an anti-melee armor or summon it in a doorway. As a Dom, I tend to be less about supporting and more about stealthing forward and finding groups to teleport together to leverage AoE's so I don't keep the pet around all the time so it's literally another control click or ST mez boost in hard fights... Oh, did I mention the pet has only ranged control powers? Grav is f*cking insane! 

Edited by Leogunner

2 hours ago, Leogunner said:

All that aside, I never played grav on live but playing on HC, it's super fun. Dimension shift as a toggle is crazy. You can leverage some insane situations, literally containing ambushes or shield yourself from a ranged volley or protect an npc/object by shifting the enemy. 

I'm always a bit scared of using Dimension Shift on teams. On a Yin TF I suggested that I door drop it for when the ambushes come and the Scrapper was like "No don't do that". 

We wiped. We probably would have died anyway but it seemed like an ideal situation for it. Dim Shift everything at the door, clear the room of everything except Crazed Punk lady and if the meleers really want to take on the ambush they can just step into the bubble with them

Maybe it's just down to people still assuming it's the old style version. I dunno. 

On 11/14/2019 at 5:12 AM, Lost Ninja said:

Played grav/rad back on live and loved it, got into the mid 30s before losing interest in the game and finding another game to play. Never got much further with them due to game dying. 😕

Played Grav/Kin into mid 40s on HC not that impressed, damage is fine (good even). Just not very enjoyable (and I used to love */kin).

I'm now working my way up with Grav/Rad and I'm loving it, damage is still great and the fact that I can debuff meaningfully whole groups (as opposed to singletons ala */kin) seems to be making a whole world of difference to my survivability.

That all said I had to drop Propel because of the AoE "proc", it seems to be un-enhance-able, un-modifiable... etc. If you put the KB > KD IO in it the single target is knocked down but any close friend get sent packing. Loved the power on live but in HC it's just not fun any more. 😞

This must have been recently fixed because I have KB>KD on my grav/rad's propel and it knocks everything affected down.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, DougGraves said:

Gravity seems to be made for soloing.  You get more damage but less control.

I team almost exclusively.  Is gravity just not right for me, or is there a power coming up that turns the set around?

My first lvl 50 was a Gravity/Kin back on live.  Loved that toon to pieces.  Grav/Time seems like yet another perfect pairing.  The trick with Grav/Time is that on the surface it seems lackluster but if you go into the heavily proc direction you start realize that Gav/Time is extremely potent and lethal.

Edited by Tater Todd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
6 hours ago, Flashtoo said:

When I team with my Grav/Kin character, I like to run ahead to the next spawn and Wormhole them onto the tank behind me before hitting Fulcrum Shift. Getting good at managing the KB from that is essential.

Or just slot in a Sudden Acceleration KB->KD and not worry about the KB at all! That's what I do. Mine's Grav/Time, but I also tend to do this. Work on a pack a bit then, when its down under half its original population, scoot ahead and wormhole in the next pack back to the group. I feel like it helps speed things up and sort of eliminates alpha strikes (which, admitedly, aren't really an issue in high level content but can be in the 21-35ish game still, which an Examplared Grav/ still has access to Wormhole for).

• Like 1

• 3 months later
On 10/18/2019 at 5:02 PM, DougGraves said:

"Sell me on gravity control"

Well, for one thing, you can't spell DougGraves" without "grav"!

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

and I wanted to make a pun out of your name and finally realized it isn't Dave Clark.

I get that a lot, and deeply regret many of my life choices, including my sad devotion to this user name (it was my main back in the Before Times).

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝