Sell me on gravity control - started a thematic character but I'm not impressed

DougGraves

I, personally love gravity control.  It is probably the most "blastery" of the control sets.  Yes, it excels at soloing, but it is also excellent against single targets.  In a team setting, it really shines once you get wormhole and if you have a secondary where you can setup a "killing field", (such as traps);  Teleport a group of enemies onto your caltrop-laden mine field and let your team mop up the stragglers!

I’ve clocked a lot of hours on my Grav/Time Controller, and I haven’t really noticed a *lack* of control or support in the character. Lift and Propel on their own are ST attacks, yes, but I frequently use them to juggle bosses while on teams. In terms of AoE Control, Wormhole is up and good to go every other mob when teaming.

Good secondaries to pair with Gravity are /Time and /Dark.

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

Okay, so basically it gets something really good at level 26.  I may not care to wait that long.  Thanks

Yes. Wormhole is an AoE stun and teleport power that is totally unique to Gravity, no other set gets a power like it. It was changed for these servers to a non-notify power, which makes it even stronger.

Gravity still doesn't have the control abilities of other sets and Wormhole has it annoyances (you can't teleport Bosses who are a certain level above you, which frankly feels like an oversight). But it's ttally unique and very fun.

I don’t really feel like Gravity lacks control, but that may just be me. It doesn’t have a sleep or confuse, and it takes a little longer to get it’s truly good stuff, but once you have it then Gravity is a strong all-rounder controller these days.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:45 AM, Mercurias said:

I don’t really feel like Gravity lacks control, but that may just be me. It doesn’t have a sleep or confuse, and it takes a little longer to get it’s truly good stuff, but once you have it then Gravity is a strong all-rounder controller these days.

In my opinion Gravity/ kind of sneaks up on you, being rather vanilla prior to Wormhole, then you get Singularity and it all comes together.  Whatever holes Grav has in its control chain are addressed by that crazy hateball.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 10/19/2019 at 11:15 PM, DougGraves said:

My secondary is Time.  I'm level 16.  I really don't care about levels above 32.  I find the game boring at that point.  I basically play up to 32 and start over.

The problem you have here is that Grav/ Time both get a series of 5 excellent powers from 26 onwards (26, 28, 32, 35 and 38). Probably their 5 best powers stretch over that section. 

In addition Dimension Shift is such an oddball power: its not the typical aoe mezz other sets get around level 12 which you can drop whenever you feel like it (unlike say Seeds, Elecs sleep patch, Fearsome stare or the Aoe stuns)

Edited by Carnifax

From my experience back on live, (grav/ff for the record) which I know isn’t the same, possible rose colored glasses kicking in and all.

I don’t remember ever feeling like I wasn’t brining enough control. I may not have had a dolid tertiary control option, but having one is rarely needed and I could lean on my secondary some if it was.

Wormhole was great fun even with aggro on it, I often pulled the next spawn with it, dropping them onto what was left of the current spawn.

Also, singularity is best pet, just saying. As a test once I made it solo a toxic tarantula by itself, not even bubbled by me. Singularity won. Toxic tarantula was chosen because of a discussion at the time more than any balance metric admittedly.

propel is also an aoe knockdown

so in addition to dealing good damage it also bounces everything around it.

I dunno sure you don't have seeds or fearsome stare, but the aoe stuns in other sets suck until you get SO level enhances anyway. at which point you are soon acquiring wormhole.

wormhole is that good of a power. I cant think of any other power in the game that is as satisfying as wormhole. It really makes you feel super powered. 

Grav/kin here.  personally speaking I felt this was an awesome combo.  travel powers like the inertia reduction and siphen speed. and then the endurance siphen.. oh the fun with the buffs. As probably most of us here I have been around COH since the Start back in 2000's but.  and the Nerfing that took place.  the higher level Grav/kin is more attractive than the low level.  (super squishy)  The Pet singularity "B.o.b."  is excellent companion.  Spam holds...Annoying for anyone else lol.  The one draw back I seen, is dimension shift (DS) and wormhole (WH) switched roles . WH use to be single target.  and DS was AOE. now they switched them... its eh. DS was good crowd control.. Super hold that would not agro the other group.  side mention though its cool to WH a group of low level baddies into the sky and watch them fall, in perez park.  lol.  I use to WH the Bomb in the Nuclear reactor mission, and drop it over the heads of the baddies, and then have the sniper take it out...good times.  I will mention stay away from PVP... you can get owned lol

Edited by Martyrize

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

The power is tagged as a single target blast despite its AoE component which would seem to make it more useful as a proc delivery tool, but I am unsure how it technically works.

I never saw it trigger additional procs when testing it for them, but it took a bit of extra attention before anyone realized that Contaminate was causing additional proc effects (as in procs on the proc-effect) off Radiation Melee, which triggers a similar pseudo-pet call. Given that a few other abilities have seen some random and unmentioned updates in their impact with procs (whether intentional or bug/bug-fix) it might be worth double-checking at some point.

But, to my knowledge it doesn't, that I recall, proc on the splash effect.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, DougGraves said:

My secondary is Time.  I'm level 16.  I really don't care about levels above 32.  I find the game boring at that point.  I basically play up to 32 and start over.

Grav may not be for you. The wormhole-into-killzone trick is awesome and I think Propel is the most fun power in the game. But as pointed out, both of the sets you've chosen here are late game bloomers. And if you don't like the later levels, this may not be the set for you.

I think Grav/time sounds like a good time, but I've had to stop making time characters because I have too many. My personal doldrums are levels 20-35. Below that is a fast chaotic romp where everyone sucks. Above that, you can do the ITF and Lady Grey and characters have settled into their powers and roles. That middle area? Blech. So I'm okay with late blooming sets, I like the game at 50.

You know where you like to play, this might be a bad match for you. Smack some baddies with Propel and retire it.

9 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I never saw it trigger additional procs when testing it for them, but it took a bit of extra attention before anyone realized that Contaminate was causing additional proc effects (as in procs on the proc-effect) off Radiation Melee, which triggers a similar pseudo-pet call. Given that a few other abilities have seen some random and unmentioned updates in their impact with procs (whether intentional or bug/bug-fix) it might be worth double-checking at some point.

But, to my knowledge it doesn't, that I recall, proc on the splash effect.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if there is any kind of proc madness to exploit in Dominator Secondaries.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:57 PM, Dark Current said:

GRAVITY CONTROL!!!

Bend space to your will!

Tear holes in the fabric of reality!

Crush your enemies! See them Wormholed before you! Hear the lamentations of your teammates after your Dimension Shift!

I just wanted to say I got the Conan reference. I use it often but without the ad lib 🙂

• Like 2

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

16 hours ago, Ice_Warden said:

I just wanted to say I got the Conan reference. I use it often but without the ad lib 🙂

Ding ding ding! You win the prize... The answer to the riddle of Gravity Control:

Gravity control isn't strong, boy.

The player is stronger.

(Wormholes an unreachable enemy to their doom).

That is strength, boy.

That is power.

The strength and power of the player.

What is Gravity Control compared to the player that wields it?

OP: Look at the strength within your tactics. The desire in your heart.

CoH gave this to you.

But here you are, doubting yourself.

Such a waste.

Contemplate this at the character creation screen.

Edited by Dark Current
  • Like 2