Best / Useful Temp Powers

Lockpick

I just hit 50 and gotten to level 3 on all incarnate powers on my AR/Devices Blaster.  My Ranged defense is short of softcap in combat by ~1%, so I decided to see if there were some temporary powers I could use to close the gap as opposed to adjusting my build again.  I added the Combat Drone from the P2W vendor and that closed the gap for me, although if the drone is destroyed the defense goes away.

Anyway, I started looking at the temp powers and have decided to do some Oro missions to get some powers that fit my theme like Electromagnetic Grenades.  It looks like you can continuously replenish these grenades as needed through Oro. 

It led me to a couple of questions I thought I would pose to the community to generate some conversation and insight in temp powers:

What are some of the most useful temp powers that can be obtained multiple times?

Do you find these temp powers useful enough that you will do the missions to get the powers when they expire and, if so, which power is it and how does it for your character or build?

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Temporary_Powers

I'm not sure about the Oro temps, but I get all the ranged P2W temp powers and max them out for assistance in working towards "Defeat 200 X" badges.  The grenade is especially helpful because it can sometimes hit 2 or 3 enemies that are standing close together; at level 50(+3) the P2W temp powers can actually one-shot a good number ofthe stuff you didn't hunt in your 20s and 30s.

Actually, as a Blaster, you may not get that much use out of them.  Still, it is fun to heroically pull a revolver and arrest a vampire by shooting it.

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I just did the missions for the Wedding Band and Electromagnetic Grenades.

I could see the Wedding Band as useful for many characters.  Not sure my AR/Dev will get much use out of it because I have Force of Nature.  The mission arc took me about 30 minutes, but did reward 25 merits.  I could see me getting this on another character and running the Oro missions to keep it full time, but probably won't get much use on this Blaster.

The Electromagnetic Grenades are easy to get as you only need to do one mission with 5 clickies.  TBD if I actually use them on a regular basis.

The temp powers that are probably the most helpful to you as a blaster are the ones you can craft at the Crucible and Supercollider empowerment gadgets in a SG base.  You can get handy buffs to recharge, recovery, and resistance to most forms of mez there; there's quite a long list of these. 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Empowerment_Station

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Cool - regarding those limited time buffs that are craftable.  Any idea on the numbers used to describe the buffs: "slightly" for End Mod or KB protection the terminology used is "some protection".  

Just curious about the numbers so I can rationalize time/resources vs. reward.  I mean...are they worth crafting?   Probably better off getting permanent KB protection for a few million is my point.  

Edited by tafilr

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

The temp powers that are probably the most helpful to you as a blaster are the ones you can craft at the Crucible and Supercollider empowerment gadgets in a SG base.  You can get handy buffs to recharge, recovery, and resistance to most forms of mez there; there's quite a long list of these. 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Empowerment_Station

Great idea!  I have the Supercollider  in my base but have never used it.  Time to check it out!

1 hour ago, Lockpick said:

Great idea!  I have the Supercollider  in my base but have never used it.  Time to check it out!

You will also want the Crucible.  They offer similar temp powers, but one eats Tech salvage and the other Magic. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Envenomed Dagger from p2w vendor is my most used temp power that I get on every character and actively replenish charges for.

-1 second cast time, great for filling any holes in an attack chain

-160.63 base damage, which is great for it's activation time.

-80 ft range, great for picking off runners playing melee characters

-250% 10 second regen debuff that stacks, lets you solo basically anything and everything in the game, and is a solid dps boost for teams lacking -regen

-6 second base recharge

Also particularily good for battle maiden in apex.

I also keep a stack of recovery serum, which has a long 3 second activation but lasts for 4 mins, 10 min cooldown is affected by any recharge buffs you may have

I like having the power analyzer on hand incase I ever want to track debuffs or the innate resistances of certain enemies.

And while I don't really use them anymore, I like having a shivan shard on hand as well.

Currently on fire.

Yeah, the envenomed dagger is really good for taking down AVs. You can pretty much see its effects on the health bar, which is really good. I don't think it works on every AV, but when it does it really, really does. 

Stephanie Peeble's wedding ring is great on paper, but I never really use it in practice. Maybe if I was soloing an AV or tanking on my fortunata (it has happened) I'd whip it back out, but it's almost too good to use, in a way. 

The backup radio is pretty useful, as is the warwolf whistle and Amy's Ward and other summons. With the Lore pets, you've got an instant army which can be really useful while soloing. If you have support powers, you can turn them into five minutes of absurdity as you absolutely wreck enemies for as long as you keep your gang alive.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Is there a psi damage temp power for killing Cyclops and Minos in the ITF through their T9 power?   I know about the vanguard psi bomb, but that appears to be only 3 charges and you can only hold 1 at a time.  Any others?

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I will echo the use of empowerment devices: I will regularly use them to consume salvage that would otherwise be wasted.

Aside from P2W and Ouroboros, the Brickstown ZigBreak also grants Temp Ranged attacks good for 18 hours as a reward.

The two Temp powers I rely on are the Envenomed Dagger and the Shivan. Both help with AV/EB HP stacks and having a bulky pet at low/mid levels helps with soloing things like TFs.

The Vanguard HVAS should be included in your personal army, to go with Amy, Shivan and Warwolf.  It's very very powerful.

There are some less powerful pets but if you're looking for more dps, there's LOA bone from Mr. Bocor for a zombie summons and Ambassador Kuhr'rekt (sp?) gives a Rikti drone (a gun too).

Cryonite Armor exists for some s/l def (cold res).  I've gotten it from weapons deals in bank missions (both sides).

Here's the full list (as of game's shutdown). https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Temporary_Powers

ETA - +1 to base empowerments.  I keep the salvage in storage for a couple of my favorite buffs (recharge and recovery) and I try to end a play session crafting whatever buffs I can with salvage on hand.

Edited by Hedgefund

It's not the best temp power but for my characters that are a bit lacking on offense and could use an extra attack (or an attack to use instead of brawl), I like the Iron Blade that can be obtained from Buck Salinger in Croatoa (and via Ouro). It does decent damage (~120 damage at lvl 50), and relatively quickly (~3s). It does double damage vs. the suite of Croatoa factions which makes it really good for fighting them, and it works against Eochai/Jack in Irons (not the Halloween versions, though). The best part is it lasts for 72 hours of game time so it'll be a while before needing to get a new one. Bonus is that it has a cool broad sword graphic and I've had a few people wonder how a controller has a broad sword. It's probably not as useful as some of the powers from P2W, but I generally avoid the P2W powers on most of my characters so the Iron Blade has been a nice alternative.

While levelling my fire/rad team (controllers) I found the Brickstown zone event (kill prisoners/freakshow/super prisoners) handed out I think PPD Grenade Launcher (similar/same as the Grenade Launcher in AR), massively improved levelling speed in my small team. (You can get it certainly from level 30+ and the mobs you fight are always even con (like ToT/GM/etc mobs) so I wouldn't be surprised if you could do it earlier.

I had the wedding band on Live with my DM/Regen scrapper, picked it up around i3/i4 and I think I still had it when the game shutdown

On 10/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, Lost Ninja said:

I had the wedding band on Live with my DM/Regen scrapper, picked it up around i3/i4 and I think I still had it when the game shutdown

I want to see the story arc that reveals Stephanie Peebles has been handing out wedding rings to so many players because she is building an army of spouses to do her bidding...

• Haha 1

I just obtained a summon power not listed in the link of temp powers I gave above.  It's a Tsoo Sorcerer summons from the dude in Steel Canyon that's an art director.  I'm fairly sure it's post i23 content so not in Paragonwiki.

Excellent arc, by the way, deeper than most I've seen.  I don't want to say too much about it for those who are new to it.