A better way to view another player's build

5 minutes ago, macskull said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the existing system.

I'd like them to switch the build tab to be displayed first if no bio is added. So if no bio I see the build first, if there is a bio I see that (as now). So few people use the bio (myself included) it's annoying having to click past it when seeing what sort of builds I'm playing with.

I dont mind people seeing that I am a water/poison dominator (for instance).  I don't think they need to see my power picks and certainly not my slotting.  This just leads to people telling me how to play.  'Why did you take x power, it sucks' or 'why didn't you take y power, its the apex of the set.'  If they can see my slotting it will only go downhill from there.  If I want to share my build you can find it on the forums or I can email it to you in game, I don't think there needs to be a game mechanic for this.

Edited by EmmySky

I remember years ago, playing Guild Wars 1,  you were expected to play very specific cookie cutter builds for your class.  I remember being kicked from a number of teams specifically

because I didn't always go with the norm, which I very much hated.

I don't want any changes to the current system that will allow that kind of behavior.  How I choose to do my build is my business.   I don't really approve the current functionality that shows the set bonuses, to be honest.

So I vote no.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

I dont mind people seeing that I am a water/poison dominator (for instance).  I don't think they need to see my power picks and certainly not my slotting.  This just leads to people telling me how to play.  'Why did you take x power, it sucks' or 'why didn't you take y power, its the apex of the set.'  If they can see my slotting it will only go downhill from there.  If I want to share my build you can find it on the forums or I can email it to you in game, I don't think there needs to be a game mechanic for this.

I don't mind the ability to see other peoples' power picks. I'll be honest - if I'm inviting a random person to the team looking at their power picks is maybe the best at-a-glance option I have to see if they'll be an asset or a liability. Sure, you might be a great player who just happens to be playing on a petless MM because you want the challenge, but if I don't know you that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

21 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Probably because their exact slotting is none of your God-**** business. 🙂  Or maybe it's because the engine doesn't support the enhancement screen for a character that's not yours.  Pick one.  Or both.

Seems to be the consensus. In all honesty, I really could care less if anyone could view my build or not. The CoH community has really been outstanding in terms of support and maturity, compared to most other gaming communities, which is why I never would have thought it would be such a big deal.

Edited by MageAgainstTheRegime
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, macskull said:

I don't mind the ability to see other peoples' power picks. I'll be honest - if I'm inviting a random person to the team looking at their power picks is maybe the best at-a-glance option I have to see if they'll be an asset or a liability. Sure, you might be a great player who just happens to be playing on a petless MM because you want the challenge, but if I don't know you that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Im pretty sure petless MMs become obvious during the first mission.

8 hours ago, krj12 said:

I remember years ago, playing Guild Wars 1,  you were expected to play very specific cookie cutter builds for your class.  I remember being kicked from a number of teams specifically

because I didn't always go with the norm, which I very much hated.

I don't want any changes to the current system that will allow that kind of behavior.  How I choose to do my build is my business.   I don't really approve the current functionality that shows the set bonuses, to be honest.

So I vote no.  

If players/teams are that nitpicking because you have a build that doesn't suit them, then they're probably not worth your while to begin with. What's the worst that can happen? You find another team. I can honestly give two shits whether or not my build is accessible for others to see. I view it as a collaborative tool, especially for the new players that can use it to assist with their builds. If players want to offer critique towards improving what I already have, I'm all open to suggestion. If they want to be assholes, I can simply block them. And if players want to copy my build, oh no! I can't have that happen. No, instead I would take the optimistic approach and use it as a compliment. I have other more important things to worry about. 

Edited by MageAgainstTheRegime

13 hours ago, macskull said:

This is a perfect example of why the suggestion is a terrible idea.  A means to view slotting/build of other players isn't needed and should never be implemented. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

At best, I'd just like a little formatting change to the Set Bonus listing in that tab.  I find it incredibly difficult to read, since it's just a wall of text.  Line breaks would be appreciated after each set bonus.

This is a change I could get behind.  Or arranging them by what they mod, so that all the +HP bonuses would be together, or all the +res bonuses, etc. with them then ordered from biggest to smallest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

This is a perfect example of why the suggestion is a terrible idea.  A means to view slotting/build of other players isn't needed and should never be implemented. 

Oh no, I'm not arguing for that at all. Hell, I barely pay attention to what sets people are if I'm trying to round out the last 1-3 slots for a speed TF/SF because as long as the person at the keyboard is somewhat intelligent the build doesn't really matter... and if they're not, hey, veng bait. What does annoy me is something like, say, having an Empathy Defender on the team who has all the buffs and just follows the tank around spamming unnecessary heals while ignoring the rest of the team. Unfortunately there's no way to address something like that beforehand, only a player rating system that is somewhat clunky.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

18 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

At best, I'd just like a little formatting change to the Set Bonus listing in that tab.  I find it incredibly difficult to read, since it's just a wall of text.  Line breaks would be appreciated after each set bonus.

I'll drink to this one!

• Thanks 3

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 10/27/2019 at 4:57 PM, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

Seems to be the consensus. In all honesty, I really could care less if anyone could view my build or not. The CoH community has really been outstanding in terms of support and maturity, compared to most other gaming communities, which is why I never would have thought it would be such a big deal.

I don't think the problem wouldn't be as bad as some of are worried about, but it would happen for sure. 

1 minute ago, Myrmidon said:

Right-click on any player and use the Add Notes option. It gives their global, a 1-5 star option and a notes section.

I was more concerned that other players can see scores - thus allowing for some kind of Black List. 

If its just for personal use its NBD.  

• Like 1