Daily missions

drdread

In trying to think of a way to infuse interest in some of the more obscure trial and hazard zones, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to have special daily missions in these zones. Not only would you get a big XP bonus from a hunting mission, but it could also count towards a special reward badge for each zone. Here is just a spit-ball idea of the special badges you could get from the daily missions. There could be one or two daily missions per trial or hazard zone.

Perez Prize

• You have completed 100 daily missions in Perez Park. This badge gives you a permanent 1.25% increase to your health.

Detonator

• You've defeated 200 clockwork, 200 council, 200 trolls through daily missions in Boomtown. This badge gives you a permanent 2% increase in movement.

Classicist

• You have completed 100 daily missions in Cimerora. This badge gives you a permanent 2% increase to your recovery.

Forbidden Fruit

• You've defeated 200 Crey, 200 Devouring Earth, and 200 Nemesis through daily missions in Eden. This badge give you a permanent 5% increase to you regeneration.

Speculator

• You have completed 100 daily missions in Crey's Folly. This badge gives you a permanent 5% increase to influence or infamy rewards.

Honey Badger

• You have completed 100 daily missions in the Hive. This badge gives you a permanent 10% resistance to slow effects.

Daily Grind

• You have collected 10 daily mission badges. This badge give you a permanent 2% increase to you defenses.

The daily missions could also be level locked, so higher level character are exemplared to the maximum level for the daily missions.

So this was written up quickly, let me know what you guys think. What do you think could be other badges, zones, and rewards that daily missions could give?

Edit: I didn't verify the badge names, so I may have inadvertently used a title that already exists.

Edited by drdread
  • Like 2

I like the idea of dailies.  They work great in GW2.  A zone gets flooded with players doing the daily missions there.  If you do the dailies you see a lot more different content than if you just grind the best permanent reward.  I don't know a good way to implement them in CoX.

In GW2 you have events in the zones - like the SC house on fire or SC troll rave.  Those are repeatable.

Also in GW2 you are leveled down automatically to the zone.  So if you go into a level 5 zone to defeat mobs you are also level 5.  In CoX that does not happen so street sweeping as a daily would be pointless.  Level 50s would just go into a lower level zone and one shot everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Also in GW2 you are leveled down automatically to the zone.  So if you go into a level 5 zone to defeat mobs you are also level 5.  In CoX that does not happen so street sweeping as a daily would be pointless.  Level 50s would just go into a lower level zone and one shot everything.

This brings something up that's been niggling at the back of my mind ever since I joined HC, but still hasn't fully formed. The sidekicking system allows you to exemplar down to a teammate, TaskForces exemplar you down to the maximum level of the TF, and Oroboros exemplars you down to the maximum level of the story mission.  Are all of these the same code? If so, could it be extended?

Meaning could auto-exemplaring be added to Hazard Zones so they are maintained as being appropriately 'Hazardous'? 

Just a weird thought that crossed my mind. Not fleshed out or anything, just a passing fancy.

• Like 3

The idea of dailies could be an interesting concept to get more activity in otherwise empty zones. That said, I would be strongly against the idea of permanent buffs for grinding them out as it will further skew the balance of the game.

I'm not opposed to badges for collectors, or even temporary buffs that a player can receive for completing some kind of daily task (on the condition of course that these are disabled in PvP, so it doesn't really skew the balance there).

Temporary buffs, allow the activity to be repeated down the road to re-earn whatever boon that.may be awarded.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Temporary buffs, allow the activity to be repeated down the road to re-earn whatever boon that.may be awarded.

Yeah, temporary buffs or temporary powers could be useful, especially at low levels.

23 minutes ago, Wild Claw said:

Meaning could auto-exemplaring be added to Hazard Zones so they are maintained as being appropriately 'Hazardous'?

Yes, I was thinking of auto-exemplaring when accepting a daily mission, but auto-exemplaring when entering the zone could be interesting as well.

Edited by drdread
typo

2 minutes ago, drdread said:

Yes, I was thinking of auto-exemplaring when accepting a daily mission, but auto-exemplaring when entering the zone could be interesting as well.

And then the high level ambush hits you.  You cannot scale down all villains since not all exist at all levels.

Edited by DougGraves
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drdread said:

2 hours ago, DougGraves said:

And then the high level ambush hits you.  You cannot scale down all villains since not all exist at all levels.

o.0  Each hazard zone has a (fairly narrow) level range - there aren't any high level ambushes.  If you're a level 50 exemped down to 14 in Perez...  you're not going to encounter anything that isn't (more-or-less) appropriate for a lvl 14 toon. 

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Dissenting opinion: I do not want this.

Dailies make folks feel like they're missing out if they can't fulfill them.  Just about every game I've played that has, or has introduced, dailies has ended with me finding I was only logging on to take care of my dailies.  All progress halts, because "it can wait until tomorrow, but my dailies would be wasted if I waited."

This always leads to dissatisfaction and uninstallation.

This is a core difference between a game that makes you grind for your achievements and an outright Skinner Box.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

o.0  Each hazard zone has a (fairly narrow) level range - there aren't any high level ambushes.  If you're a level 50 exemped down to 14 in Perez...  you're not going to encounter anything that isn't (more-or-less) appropriate for a lvl 14 toon. 

Actually you can get hit by level 50 mobs in Perez, if you're doing a mission that spawns an ambush then that ambush will appear in whatever zone you're in at the time.  I've seen this happen hundreds of times over the years; several arcs spawn an ambush as you leave the mission and that ambush is set at the mission level, not the zone level.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Not necessarily.  Who among us hasn't enjoyed the thrill of panic standing in front of Valkyrie in Steel Canyon at level 11 when someone else's Malta ambush comes roaring through the zone because that someone-else-level-50 just happened to zone in moments before?

Just because you don't normally/usually encounter high-level mobs in lower-level zones doesn't mean you won't.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

5 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Actually you can get hit by level 50 mobs in Perez, if you're doing a mission that spawns an ambush then that ambush will appear in whatever zone you're in at the time.  I've seen this happen hundreds of times over the years; several arcs spawn an ambush as you leave the mission and that ambush is set at the mission level, not the zone level.

You hit "Submit Reply" faster than I did! 😁

@Rathstar

Maybe they could implement some repeatable in-zone missions, such as patrolling waypoints, defeating a certain number of enemies of a given type, rescuing some civilians that are being mugged, etc.  The problem with the system proposed by the OP is that all it'll really do is get people in the zone for just long enough to get the reward, then they'll go back to being just as empty as they are now.  Perhaps give out some merits for doing a few, or allow us to select a reward that is level-appropriate to our characters...

I have an extension of this idea that will not require the exemplar code be changed. Why not a daily Giant Monster? Every day we get a call to hunt down a GM. GMs autoscale to level, they can be fought by loads of people, and they are in the open world, which allows the community gathering thing you have in mind. Most are also in hazard zones, so there's also the fact that we can gather in a formerly empty zone.

EDIT: Rather than award progress to a daily badge, perhaps a good alternative would be to award say an empyreal merit for the daily? This is just additional loot, which you get in addition to the merit reward (only the first time each day, if course). This would have the benefit of letting people get their incarnates another way or let them convert it to regular merits for loot.

Edited by Rigged
  • Like 1

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

10 hours ago, Wild Claw said:

Using the zone-wide auto-exemplaring code (like Bloody Bay, Siren's Call, etc.. has) for the Hazard Zones would allow those zones to always remain useful instead of them being empty forgotten zones due to outleveling them.

But to really entice players to using those zones a revamp would have to go further than that:

• New mission contacts with storyarcs that build towards a TF (like the Hollows, Striga, Croatoa has) (Add the new TFs into the weekly strike target rotation.)
  •  
  • Repeatable mission contacts (like Meg Mason (Hollows) or Borea (Rikti War Zone)) that endlessly hands out a choice of either indoor missions or hunting missions.
  •  
  • Being able to earn new badges, SG base items & temp powers (re-earnable) from doing content there.
  •  
  • Have the Zones have a pool of unique drops (rare recipe/enhancements) that can be earned at any of these revamped Hazard Zones.
  •  
  • Giant Monsters (for any Hazard Zone that does not already have one) that can be triggered by player actions.
  •  
  • Zone Events/Zone Games that change based upon how many players are in the Zone. (So even during off-hours with only a few players, they can still have fun playing them)
  •  
  • Full Amenities: Trainer, Quartermasters, Field Hospital, Abandoned Labs (like Port Oakes & St. Martial has)
Edited by Shadowsleuth
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Just because you don't normally/usually encounter high-level mobs in lower-level zones doesn't mean you won't.

Do Zones like Bloody Bay & Siren's Call have something in the code to prevent high level ambushes from spawning in those zones?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

Using the zone-wide auto-exemplaring code (like Bloody Bay, Siren's Call, etc.. has) for the Hazard Zones would allow those zones to always remain useful instead of them being empty forgotten zones due to outleveling them.

Ah. Never dived into the PvP zones myself, even for badges and the like, so I didn't realize the zone-wide auto-exemplaring feature already existed. Never mind me then. 😉

So if I were waving my hand, I would divide the game into 5 types of zones (ignoring blue, red, and gold).

Starting zone.  Your level is your level.  Has no ambushes, holiday events, etc.  It is always the same in effect (although it can change looks for the seasons).  A safe haven for new players.

Standard zone.  Your level is your level.  Has ambushes, holiday events, etc.  Has radio missions and older generic mission arcs.  A core set of zones that is intended for general play.  Steel Canyon, Talos Island, PI, etc.

Story zone.  Your level is exemplared to the zone level.  Has no ambushes, raids, holiday events, etc.  It is always the same in effect and may always look the same - Croatoa, Cimmerora, etc but also Faultline, Striga, etc.  Arcs are designed for stories and soloing not necessarily for teaming.

Hazard Zone.  Your level is exemplared to the zone level.  Has no ambushes, raids, holiday events, etc.  It is always the same in effect and may always look the same - Hollows, RWZ, etc.  Arcs are designed for teaming not necessarily for soloing.

PvP Zone.  As they are now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

Do Zones like Bloody Bay & Siren's Call have something in the code to prevent high level ambushes from spawning in those zones?

Those are PvP zones, and I don't PvP, so I have no idea.

@Rathstar

• Retired Game Master
18 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

I would be surprised if they did, however you cannot get door missions in PvP zones or call contacts to pick up missions in those zones, ergo ambushes should not be able to spawn in those zones as they are always triggered after either picking up a mission or finishing a door mission. This may not be the case for hazard zones unless they were changed to fall in line with PvP zones (which may be an automatic thing using the same system, I'm not sure). If not, a level 50 could get a door mission in a hazard zone, go there, do the mission, come out, be auto exemplared to the zone max and get ambushed by level 50s because that's the level of the mission they were on. Hazard zone level auto exemplaring could also interfere with regular taskforces, and the daily rewards being specific to them would skew the reward system to favor blueside as villains only have one hazard zone and it's not exactly friendly to all levels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

and the daily rewards being specific to them would skew the reward system to favor blueside as villains only have one hazard zone and it's not exactly friendly to all levels.

If there was ever a revamp for Hazard Zones  I was hoping that Heroside Hazard Zones would be opened up to include Villains.

Either as a Co-op Zone (Heroes & Villains working together to stop a greater threat) or as a Competitive Zone. (Heroes having storyarcs trying to save the Zone, & Villains would have storyarcs furthering their own agenda. (Seizing power, causing chaos/instigating trouble, digging up a buried doomsday weapon/dangerous technology, stealing money/jewels/priceless objects from a buried vault, Sabotaging/Eliminating a rival.)

Any Hazard Zone that gets revamped should have a Echo version available through Ouroboros.

18 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

Any Hazard Zone that gets revamped should have a Echo version available through Ouroboros.

I just felt the need to weigh in on this detail specifically. If any zone changes dramatically, we should try to save the old version if/when possible. No reason to lose out on old content, even if it doesn't seem valid.

I like the idea of putting new content into these zones, but I don't think Dailies is the answer. Zone events, similar to Bricks new breakout event? That could be fun! it's timed to start very often, has 3 temp powers to get, and these powers aren't overpowered but they're probably nice to have for somebody! Plus, it'd be a good way to get certain badges going, like making the Kraken part of Perez, Jurassic in Crey's Folly, so on.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:25 PM, Shadowsleuth said:

If there was ever a revamp for Hazard Zones  I was hoping that Heroside Hazard Zones would be opened up to include Villains.

Either as a Co-op Zone (Heroes & Villains working together to stop a greater threat) or as a Competitive Zone. (Heroes having storyarcs trying to save the Zone, & Villains would have storyarcs furthering their own agenda. (Seizing power, causing chaos/instigating trouble, digging up a buried doomsday weapon/dangerous technology, stealing money/jewels/priceless objects from a buried vault, Sabotaging/Eliminating a rival.)

Competitive zone sounds like a bad idea, PvP is pretty unpopular in this game and making existing zones PvP would cause them to be even emptier than they are now.  Just look at the population of any of the PvP zones now and you'll see the same thing.  Bloody Bay is only entered for Shivans by most players if it's entered at all.  Warburg is only entered for the Nukes.

Personally in the time since CoV launched and PvP was introduced I think I've intentionally engaged in it 2 or 3 times.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler