Heightened Senses Worthless?

Fista

I'm really not sure where the OP's confusion is coming from.  As is obvious there are enemies that deal Smashing (punches, kicks and the like), Lethal (Guns, blades etc), Fire (fire based attacks) Cold (Ice attacks) Energy (Energy blasts) Negative (Dark blasts) and Psionic (Mental attacks) damage.  Therefore there are defenses against each damage type.  The power in question states in it's detailed description what it defends against and what it's defense values are.

The flavor text is just that, and for some reason the OP has decided to take it to mean it doesn't affect enemy damage for some reason.  Anyone who takes the flavor text of powers as gospel is doomed to disappointment, a large number are flat wrong and many are missworded.  

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Everyone needs to chill. @GM Widowercan probably go ahead and lock this thread. OP got the answer they were looking for. Now we are just diverging into pettiness over who started it. Let's all be mature and end it.

Agreed.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Call Me Awesome said:

The flavor text is just that, and for some reason the OP has decided to take it to mean it doesn't affect enemy damage for some reason.  Anyone who takes the flavor text of powers as gospel is doomed to disappointment, a large number are flat wrong and many are missworded.  

I don't even read the text anymore. I just look what it does in the info or mids (but even these methods can be misleading).

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

17 hours ago, Fista said:

1, I did.

2. I was.

3. Wrong. In my very next post I explained that I didn't understand. Hardly refusing the answer. In fact when I was given a clearer explanation I promptly thanked that person. 

4. I'm not sure how you can blame someone for giving a correct answer but what ever. I am, however, a little peeved that a few people in this post have been arrogant jerks about the whole thing. I mean I've been called stupid 13 times and a troll once. I fail to see why this is happening when I have taken pains repeatedly to explain why I had an issue. 

It didn't

No I've understood this issue since Haijinx made their post Thursday @ 10:23

I’m sorry if my “did this turn into a troll thread” seemed directed at you. I wasn’t intending it to be that way. I read your responses and looked at some of your post history, determined that you have been playing this game for a bit, and then thought maybe you were just having a little fun. I genuinely thought that maybe you flipped the switch on us and saw an opportunity to confuse us is all. As I said before, take Heightened Senses. It’s a great power. Just ignore the text! 😎

13 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Will it protect me in the lava pools or not? 

🙂

12 hours ago, Roderick said:

I don't think so. I think the lava pools are autohit.

I think that's correct although it's been a long time since I tested it.  Resistance will reduce the damage a lava pool does; way back in issue 4 when Invuln tankers could cap all resistances but Psi at 90% I tried standing in lava.  The incoming damage just barely outpaced my regeneration as I recall, but by the time it was dangerous Dull Pain was recharged and took me back to full.  It was a popular way to farm damage badges by AFK'ing with Dull Pain on autofire.

Spoiler

On 2/7/2020 at 6:14 PM, Fista said:

But it doesn't tell me "WHERE" it's coming from. Environment to me does not equal MOB. So since there's, by that definition, not a lot of environmental damage it seems very limited in usage.

OP, I think you need to let this one go. It seems you know what a MOB is, in MMO terminology, then you most likely know enough to decipher game stats. And, should the advice I gave be taken, "if you don't understand test, test again, click on everything," you would have discovered what we all did, back before anyone could give us answers.

When I was unsure of things like this, I play tested, and figured it out, I mean, that's half the fun of the game!

Also, just in case there's confusion, a MOB is short for mobile, a computer controlled character/NPC. And, NPCs are part of the game environment, as there were two distinct aspects to gaming in MMO, players and environment.

For example, you play in PVE when you play vs the AI in "Player vs Environment." As opposed to PvP, or "Player vs Player."

So in essence, the power description is CORRECT, and you are actually in error. However, it's understandable you may not know all this, but the fact you're saying you know how defense in games works and using terms like MOB indicates otherwise.

Were people snarky? Maybe. Were you, MAYBE. So, let it go.

Also, be careful when you say snarky, cuz Snarky might show up and post!

On 2/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

I think that's correct although it's been a long time since I tested it.  Resistance will reduce the damage a lava pool does; way back in issue 4 when Invuln tankers could cap all resistances but Psi at 90% I tried standing in lava.  The incoming damage just barely outpaced my regeneration as I recall, but by the time it was dangerous Dull Pain was recharged and took me back to full.  It was a popular way to farm damage badges by AFK'ing with Dull Pain on autofire.

I can recall watching a friend load up on break frees, enter Rest, pop all those break free then move while still kneeling in Rest into the lava and survive 🤪